Petition to allow open strollers on nyc buses

BreeddekalbL

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m totally against allowing open strollers on city buses. The other day I was on a local Bx12, and there were strollers blocking not just one, but *both* rear doors.

Strollers are getting bulkier, the (MTA) is getting stingier on providing bus service, while the buses themselves are getting more crowded. There simply isn’t room in the aisle way (even on an empty bus) for an open stroller, especially on the low floor buses. Just leave the stroller at home and carry the baby on your lap/shoulder.

On the B/36, we get everything and the strollers are no exception along with the wheelchairs and the shopping carts.

The strollers should be folded up and not left on the floor so that people can trip over them which I have seen when i ride the bus.

A person holding a baby deserves a seat and I will always give a seat to that  person if I can get the riders who will not move themselves to give the person room to get to where I am sitting on the bus. 

4 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

On the B/36, we get everything and the strollers are no exception along with the wheelchairs and the shopping carts.

The strollers should be folded up and not left on the floor so that people can trip over them which I have seen when i ride the bus.

A person holding a baby deserves a seat and I will always give a seat to that  person if I can get the riders who will not move themselves to give the person room to get to where I am sitting on the bus. 

Says who? They decided to have kids so they can stand with the baby. Those people take up SO much space it's insane. It's public transportation. If you need so much space, take a damn cab. People can call me cold all they want but fair is fair. The service is there for EVERYONE to use and people who come on the bus with all of this damn crap just hold up service for hundreds of other passengers who pay the same exact fare. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

This is some white shit. God forbid you have to actually hold your child and fold up the stroller.

If they want their child in an open stroller somewhere, they can go get a car.

All heil gynocentrism!

Yeah, the petitioning of this whole bit makes it quote-unquote white girl shit.....

Aside from the petition, on a broader scale, it's more a socio-economic problem... Soccer moms don't have this problem.... The point? Stop procreating with aint shit men (regardless of race).... Way I see it, any man worth his salt won't have his woman taking his infant or toddler in a stroller on some bus..... Worst case scenario, your ass is calling a cab if you need the extra wheels.... I would feel like an absolute failure if I had a kid & the mother of my child was transporting him/her on some bus at *stroller-toting* age.....

There used to be a time where you didn't get no play if you didn't have a ride.... Now these broads is getting knocked up by guys that are getting around on 2-trip metrocards that they FOUND, or, with no shame whatsoever, resorting to begging on the street to try to make ends meet.... Don't think those are all homeless people for a nanosecond.....

Now watch the next time I take the bus, there'll be some woman carrying some young child on it... And I will be sitting... And I will look at her & said kid... And I will continue doing my number puzzle, or whatever I'm doing at the time - without an iota of care whatsoever.....

4 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

Interesting....

So let me guess... You're the person that resorts to telling some whippersnapper that they should get out of their seat so that "the lady" can sit down.... Do you open doors for women too? Do you tip your cap in a gentlemanly manner while kindly greeting whichever woman tickles your fancy at that moment? Are you then met with smirks, sneers, or otherwise an unfavorable non-reciprocal response as a result......

What are you doing toting a baby on a public bus for? I tend to detest people that carry small children onto the buses or trains.... Not so much for the selfish issue of (wanting more) sitting/standing space on a bus/train, but moreso for sanitary reasons - and I am the furthest thing from a germaphobe.....

I have a saying - "Not my kid, not my problem".... I get the kissing of teeth, the "f*** you's", the "a**hole's", but it has no bearing on me.... You don't know how many women expect me to carry their shit for them, as they're ascending or descending toward the subway platform or onto street level because they bit off more than they can chew (which is another thing.... you have your baby around, yet you end up having your Fendi, along with 5-10 other bags after going shopping on your person).... Oh, he's nice & tall, let me gravitate towards this guy...

"Oh" - you chose the wrong one.

#sorrynotsorry #dontknowbetterasksomebodday

25 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Says who? They decided to have kids so they can stand with the baby. Those people take up SO much space it's insane. It's public transportation. If you need so much space, take a damn cab. People can call me cold all they want but fair is fair. The service is there for EVERYONE to use and people who come on the bus with all of this damn crap just hold up service for hundreds other passengers who pay the same exact fare. 

I've gotten that shit (you're cold, you're mean) from every single female member in my immediate family growing up (I still get it from my mother to this day)..... I've gotten it from both my exes (before & during the relationship).... I get it from female co-workers.... Doesn't move me in the slightest, and especially as a man living in 3rd & "4th" wave feminist america, none of that shit is going to quell anytime soon, if ever.....

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

All heil gynocentrism!

Yeah, the petitioning of this whole bit makes it quote-unquote white girl shit.....

Aside from the petition, on a broader scale, it's more a socio-economic problem... Soccer moms don't have this problem.... The point? Stop procreating with aint shit men (regardless of race).... Way I see it, any man worth his salt won't have his woman taking his infant or toddler in a stroller on some bus..... Worst case scenario, your ass is calling a cab if you need the extra wheels.... I would feel like an absolute failure if I had a kid & the mother of my child was transporting him/her on some bus at *stroller-toting* age.....

There used to be a time where you didn't get no play if you didn't have a ride.... Now these broads is getting knocked up by guys that are getting around on 2-trip metrocards that they FOUND, or, with no shame whatsoever, resorting to begging on the street to try to make ends meet.... Don't think those are all homeless people for a nanosecond.....

Now watch the next time I take the bus, there'll be some woman carrying some young child on it... And I will be sitting... And I will look at her & said kid... And I will continue doing my number puzzle, or whatever I'm doing at the time - without an iota of care whatsoever.....

You don't even need a car. The Upper East Side moms all solved this a long time ago. Put your kid on a leash or in one of those kangaroo baby carriers and you're good to go!

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

All heil gynocentrism!

Interesting....

So let me guess... You're the person that resorts to telling some whippersnapper that they should get out of their seat so that "the lady" can sit down.... Do you open doors for women too? Do you tip your cap in a gentlemanly manner while kindly greeting whichever woman tickles your fancy at that moment? Are you then met with smirks, sneers, or otherwise an unfavorable non-reciprocal response as a result......

What are you doing toting a baby on a public bus for? I tend to detest people that carry small children onto the buses or trains.... Not so much for the selfish issue of (wanting more) sitting/standing space on a bus/train, but moreso for sanitary reasons - and I am the furthest thing from a germaphobe.....

I have a saying - "Not my kid, not my problem".... I get the kissing of teeth, the "f*** you's", the "a**hole's", but it has no bearing on me.... You don't know how many women expect me to carry their shit for them, as they're ascending or descending toward the subway platform or onto street level because they bit off more than they can chew (which is another thing.... you have your baby around, yet you end up having your Fendi, along with 5-10 other bags after going shopping on your person).... Oh, he's nice & tall, let me gravitate towards this guy...

"Oh" - you chose the wrong one.

#sorrynotsorry #dontknowbetterasksomebodday

I've gotten that shit (you're cold, you're mean) from every single female member in my immediate family growing up (I still get it from my mother to this day)..... I've gotten it from both my exes (before & during the relationship).... I get it from female co-workers.... Doesn't move me in the slightest, and especially as a man living in 3rd & "4th" wave feminist america, none of that shit is going to quell anytime soon, if ever.....

I was on an M15SBS a while back coming from Whole Foods. I always stand on the local buses since I don't go very far, as I was making my way up to the BxM1. I had two bags with my groceries and was standing in that little area of the bus that doesn't have seats. I look towards the back. There's a stroller, THREE freakin kids and the mother and father. You know they didn't pay for any of the kids yet they're taking up AT LEAST FIVE seats, not including the space that the stroller is blocking and only paying $5.50. Total BS. I'm waiting for italianstallion to go telling me what a horrible person I am for speaking out against such foolishness. If anyone else who paid wanted to sit down, I guess they were out of luck.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

You don't even need a car. The Upper East Side moms all solved this a long time ago. Put your kid on a leash or in one of those kangaroo baby carriers and you're good to go!

When life gives you lemons.....

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was on an M15SBS a while back coming from Whole Foods. I always stand on the local buses since I don't go very far, as I was making my way up to the BxM1. I had two bags with my groceries and was standing in that little area of the bus that doesn't have seats. I look towards the back. There's a stroller, THREE freakin kids and the mother and father. You know they didn't pay for any of the kids yet they're taking up AT LEAST FIVE seats, not including the space that the stroller is blocking and only paying $5.50. Total BS. I'm waiting for italianstallion to go telling me what a horrible person I am for speaking out against such foolishness. If anyone else who paid wanted to sit down, I guess they were out of luck.

I don't care who calls me whatever for not being PC.... The truth (which is the entitlement) needs to be called out; there's too much pandering going on as it is..... Seriously, what passenger even considers that 44" rule (or w/e it is)? Also, the amount of kids under that height (which I believe is 3)... No, instead, it's taken as - if all my kids are "small" (which is subjective btw), regardless of how many I have, I'm NOT paying for them...

Anyone that believes otherwise is being naive....

12 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

So with a generation of millennial parents not driving or getting licenses is that a measure of success? Is that an objective truth or a personal truth? How does that play in? 

You're trying too hard with this devil's advocate bit that you like to play on this forum.

Perhaps you forgot a sentence or two, but as inquired, that initial question doesn't make a lick of sense - as you can be successful with or without a driver's license.... Quite sure there are wealthy people out here that don't have driver's licenses because they get chauffeured around everywhere (plus, quite frankly, their safety depends on it, but that's neither here nor there)..... You can transport a child around without taking mass transit if you don't have a car.... Yes, the simplest way is mass transit, but it's not the only way...... So I'm not going to sit here & boo-hoo over a generation of parents refusing to get a driver's license for whatever their reasons..... And don't bother with trying to get me to see their side of the picture because it's simply not going to happen.... Problem nowadays is that there's no foresight/planning when it comes to people having all these kids; just too much instant gratification from unprotected f***ing & expecting external sources to pick up the slack from the end result of said f***ing..... Trying to turn mass transit into some sort of personalized transit will never happen.....

Gen X-ers started this generation of the acceptance of "oops" babies being some damn badge of honor & I don't see it ending no time soon.... The lack of any instilling of shame is one thing I hate about my generation, and millennials took full advantage of it (and you can't really blame them for it).... Long been tired of this single motherhood, I don't need no man bullshit..... It's to the point here where we have these women practically demanding that open strollers become permissible on public buses for crying out loud.... Next we'll have changing stations, titty-feeding stations, and the interior of these buses with a white & pink color scheme with ABC blocks for wallpaper....

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

So with a generation of millennial parents not driving or getting licenses is that a measure of success? Is that an objective truth or a personal truth? How does that play in? 

These rules have been in effect for decades. If the Greatest Generation and the Boomers could deal with the folding stroller rule, then it's not a problem. 

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

You're trying too hard with this devil's advocate bit that you like to play on this forum.

Perhaps you forgot a sentence or two, but as inquired, that initial question doesn't make a lick of sense - as you can be successful with or without a driver's license.... Quite sure there are wealthy people out here that don't have driver's licenses because they get chauffeured around everywhere (plus, quite frankly, their safety depends on it, but that's neither here nor there)..... You can transport a child around without taking mass transit if you don't have a car.... Yes, the simplest way is mass transit, but it's not the only way...... So I'm not going to sit here & boo-hoo over a generation of parents refusing to get a driver's license for whatever their reasons..... And don't bother with trying to get me to see their side of the picture because it's simply not going to happen.... Problem nowadays is that there's no foresight/planning when it comes to people having all these kids; just too much instant gratification from unprotected f***ing & expecting external sources to pick up the slack from the end result of said f***ing..... Trying to turn mass transit into some sort of personalized transit will never happen.....

Gen X-ers started this generation of the acceptance of "oops" babies being some damn badge of honor & I don't see it ending no time soon.... The lack of any instilling of shame is one thing I hate about my generation, and millennials took full advantage of it (and you can't really blame them for it).... Long been tired of this single motherhood, I don't need no man bullshit..... It's to the point here where we have these women practically demanding that open strollers become permissible on public buses for crying out loud.... Next we'll have changing stations, titty-feeding stations, and the interior of these buses with a white & pink color scheme with ABC blocks for wallpaper....

Not trying to stoke anything. Again I'm trained to look at something objectively. I don't fully understand that point of view so I'm asking.  What I understand as a fact is more people are moving to urban cores, I understand that people are getting there licenses later if at all and I know NYC isn't built for more cars. I do understand that's the views and role of Mass Transit is changing in these urban cores as well. Objective facts data's is there.  People's foresight into planning for kids? How can I process that objectively? That's not what I see when I walk out of my door. That seems more on a community level. Those are personal facts. I'm not even remotely looking at it that way. From a transit planners perspective should I even be?  Questions to be asked is how would something like effect service? If something like this overwhelmingly affects or for slows service for everyone I could understand that. You could back that with data we should be weighing those types of questions. Not gauging someone's moral compass what do we get out of that? Not our jobs at least it's not mines. What is mass transit's role? I can't fully answer that but I know it'll change moving forward with population dynamics changing. Am I wrong for approaching it that way?

Open strollers on buses? Seriously? Ain't buses over crowded as it is and this b.s. petition comes up? Just because they're allowed open on the subway, doesn't mean they should be allowed on in the bus.

My, how times have changed. Women's standards for men have decreased. Now they're making babies with men who have 50 pairs of Jordan's and a 7 day unlimited they probably got from the food stamp office. I don't mean to go off topic, but there are some women who will stand by the entrance to a subway station that doesn't have an elevator will look at you like, "please help me get this stroller downstairs, I can't do it. It's too heavy."

19 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

These rules have been in effect for decades. If the Greatest Generation and the Boomers could deal with the folding stroller rule, then it's not a problem. 

Understood. Just like I told B35, the dynamics are changing. Suburbia isn't the place to be nowadays in the next decade or two Way more people are going to start flocking to urban cores not just NY. I'm asking from that POV. Not the get your sh*t together POV. Which I gather from the current discussion.  I dont have the answer.. It's a valid debate on both sides id at least like to hear the points. Without personal truths and emotion.

Edited by RailRunRob

Again I don't know what it's like to have a young child on the bus. We use the subway Occasionally when we don't feel like finding parking. I do see it sometimes on the B67/B69 with parents trying to get on close to home. So maybe some lines? (Shrugs) But id at least try to look at it objectively. IMO this is how id start the conversation without preconceptions.  If I were at the MTA looking at the topic.

• What are the current rules?
  • What are the pains for Riders with Babies?
  • What % of riders do they make up?
  • What other Cities allow open strollers?
  • What’s there ridership numbers?

• What is the current capacity on routes?
  • How many passengers can fit on x type bus?
  • How much room does a open stroller take away from other passengers?
  • Does this slowdown service in anyway?
  • Could certain routes allow open stroller policies?

• What would be the deciding factors of that policies?
  • Bus Type?
  • Ridership numbers?

If the needs of the many overwhelmingly outweigh the needs of the few It's understandable this can't be done. At least show the numbers and study. Shoot 1st and ask questions later huh guys?.

Edited by RailRunRob

I don't care, if you have a stroller, fold it before getting on. It is beyond annoying. 

It wasn't on the bus, but I was on the (F) going home a few days ago, and then this dude gets on with an open stroller at High Street. This train was already full, and that open stroller made things a lot worse. The worst part of it all, is that the dude rode the thing until Rockefeller, and he place the stroller towards the center of the train, so it was extremely hard to get out if you say on those window seats facing the door (it was an R46, btw).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

Not trying to stoke anything. Again I'm trained to look at something objectively. I don't fully understand that point of view so I'm asking.  What I understand as a fact is more people are moving to urban cores, I understand that people are getting there licenses later if at all and I know NYC isn't built for more cars. I do understand that's the views and role of Mass Transit is changing in these urban cores as well. Objective facts data's is there. 

People's foresight into planning for kids? How can I process that objectively? That's not what I see when I walk out of my door. That seems more on a community level. Those are personal facts. I'm not even remotely looking at it that way. From a transit planners perspective should I even be?  Questions to be asked is how would something like effect service? If something like this overwhelmingly affects or for slows service for everyone I could understand that. You could back that with data we should be weighing those types of questions. Not gauging someone's moral compass what do we get out of that? Not our jobs at least it's not mines. What is mass transit's role? I can't fully answer that but I know it'll change moving forward with population dynamics changing. Am I wrong for approaching it that way?

Moving to more urban areas doesn't mean that you have to carry young children onto some bus with an open stroller.... It is that simple.

Furthermore, I'm not buying your act of stupefaction like you don't know anything about anything...  You pull that same stunt whenever you engage in discourses w/ VG8....

All this random f***ing & baby-making taking place isn't just something on a local (or "community") level either.... You can feign ignorance to that as much as you'd like....

At the end of the day, there is no NEED for open strollers on a bus whatsoever....

None.

15 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Not if you've been coddled all your life with 100% backing from blue pill cucks swooping through to save the day.....

1 minute ago, Q43LTD said:

Open strollers on buses? Seriously? Ain't buses over crowded as it is and this b.s. petition comes up? Just because they're allowed open on the subway, doesn't mean they should be allowed on in the bus.

My, how times have changed. Women's standards for men have decreased. Now they're making babies with men who have 50 pairs of Jordan's and a 7 day unlimited they probably got from the food stamp office. I don't mean to go off topic, but there are some women who will stand by the entrance to a subway station that doesn't have an elevator will look at you like, "please help me get this stroller downstairs, I can't do it. It's too heavy."

...and together, they'll have 250 pairs of jordan's! The female sneakerheads are worse..... The same sweet, innocent nubile (even though she's physically 29 yrs old, mentally going on 6) couple hopping the backs of buses because they don't want to pay the fare....

What you reference at the end there is exactly the scenario/situation I brought up earlier..... You can't be anti-manhood & pro-chivalry at the same time.... Even simps are starting to catch on to that !

8 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Understood. Just like I told B35, the dynamics are changing. Suburbia isn't the place to be nowadays in the next decade or two Way more people are going to start flocking to urban cores not just NY. I'm asking from that POV. Not the get your sh*t together POV. Which I gather from the current discussion.  I dont have the answer.. It's a valid debate on both sides id at least like to hear the points. Without personal truths and emotion.

Where, pray tell did I remotely mention the suburbs being the place to be, Mr. Objectivity?

The point in having brought up soccer moms is the fact that they chose men with cars (and/or have cars themselves).... Their men don't have their girlfriends/wives transporting their young children via mass transit.....

Try to mask it for all it's worth, but you are trying to defend women having open strollers on these buses with these commentaries of yours.....

30 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Again I don't know what it's like to have a young child on the bus. We use the subway Occasionally when we don't feel like finding parking. I do see it sometimes on the B67/B69 with parents trying to get on close to home. So maybe some lines? (Shrugs) But id at least try to look at it objectively. IMO this is how id start the conversation without preconceptions.  If I were at the MTA looking at the topic.

• What are the current rules?
  • What are the pains for Riders with Babies?
  • What % of riders do they make up?
  • What other Cities allow open strollers?
  • What’s there ridership numbers?

• What the are the current capacity on routes?
  • How many passengers can fit on x type bus?
  • How much room does a open stroller take away from other passengers?
  • Does this slowdown service in anyway?
  • Could certain routes allow open stroller policies?

• What would be the deciding factors of that policies?
  • Bus Type?
  • Ridership numbers?

If the needs of the many overwhelmingly outweigh the needs of the few It's understandable this can't be done. At least show the numbers and study.. Shoot 1st and ask question later huh guys?.

Yeah right, the MTA will end up caving into these demands without considering any of the other bullet points besides that second one.... This agency can't afford anymore public backlash.... Two groups you simply don't toy around with in this country right now, are the LGBTQ's, etc. & women......

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Nonsense, Suburbia is the place to be nowadays if people are planning to start a family. Expect more people flocking out of the urban cores in the next decade because they don't want to be crammed into a luxury apartment in a densely populated city like NY, or put up with the crowded buses and subways. A lot of what you're saying hinges on the assumption that politicians like deBlasio are competent enough to keep people in the city to be close to the high paying jobs.

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Moving to more urban areas doesn't mean that you have to carry young children onto some bus with an open stroller.... It is that simple.

Furthermore, I'm not buying your act of stupefaction like you don't know anything about anything...  You pull that same stunt whenever you engage in discourses w/ VG8....

All this random f***ing & baby-making taking place isn't just something on a local (or "community") level either.... You can feign ignorance to that as much as you'd like....

At the end of the day, there is no NEED for open strollers on a bus whatsoever....

None.

Not if you've been coddled all your life with 100% backing from blue pill cucks swooping through to save the day.....

...and together, they'll have 250 pairs of jordan's! The female sneakerheads are worse..... The same sweet, innocent nubile (even though she's physically 29 yrs old, mentally going on 6) couple hopping the backs of buses because they don't want to pay the fare....

What you reference at the end there is exactly the scenario/situation I brought up earlier..... You can't be anti-manhood & pro-chivalry at the same time.... Even simps are starting to catch on to that !

Listen say whatever you like THESE young people with all these Jordans they represent your community, not mine. These are the folks coming up after you right? Your replacements? You're very opinionated about it then reach out what does that say about the future? This isn't the 1st time I've heard this type of talk maybe it's time to find a new community away from the heathens I'll leave that for you to sort out sounds personal.  You saying there's no need for strollers isn't law in the real world. You think the vaccinations that you received this child or that computer that you're on right now came into full wish from personal truths? The world moves forward objectively or through money, power or Influence. Will you ever get that opportunity to have the final word? What makes your world better than someone else? Whatsoever? Umm.. When you get to Lhota's level let know how the job is. Then be accountable for telling people the reason you don't want strollers on buses. There's a process for telling people no in a Civil hierarchy and it's not based on Human perspective/perception. Do the study do the report then say the reasons.  "I say so and get it together don't fly".  Again I'm not for or against but the process is the process. 

23 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Nonsense, Suburbia is the place to be nowadays if people are planning to start a family. Expect more people flocking out of the urban cores in the next decade because they don't want to be crammed into a luxury apartment in a densely populated city like NY, or put up with the crowded buses and subways. A lot of what you're saying hinges on the assumption that politicians like deBlasio are competent enough to keep people in the city to be close to the high paying jobs.

We own in Prospect Heights I have 2 other friends that just purchased in Parkslope and Bedstuy respectively. Again read any study on planning and Millennial patterns for all the differences that's throughline. Go to LIC, Dumbo, Parkslope, Prospect Heights there are tons of families and kids 30's and 40's. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. Some of that is also based on younger folks not leaving cities the same way their parents did part is like you stated being closer to home base with work. MassTransit is a cornerstone of these shifts all i'm saying. I'm just trying to look at the Bus topic objectively. I see people with babies getting on buses occasionally around the neighborhood who are any of us not to hear the argument out at least.  At the end of the day, Time will tell we'll see what happens over the decade or two.

Edited by RailRunRob