Petition to allow open strollers on nyc buses

BreeddekalbL

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It should be pretty obvious. If your stroller blocks the entire aisle, where are people supposed to go? These people are just entitled and stupid because they know that those strollers block up the aisle and every time they get on, B/O's refuse to move the bus, citing that very reason, and then they look bewildered like how dare the driver make an announcement over the loud speaker to fold up my stroller. We had a lady on the M86SBS with the same nonsense.

We sat there until she realized who the driver was talking to. Hello, you're the only one with a stroller on the bus... <_<

The world is filled with the entitled there's always someone that doesn't know. At least with an official statement your covering all bases and can refer directly. That how talks of discriminatory practices start.  Cut it at the knees never assume people know the MTA doesn't have that luxury.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

The world is filled with the entitled there's always someone that doesn't know. At least with an official statement your covering all bases and can refer directly. That how talks of discriminatory practices start.  Cut it at the knees never assume people know the MTA doesn't have that luxury.

There's no statement to make. This isn't new. Are the MTA and the PD supposed to do a press release every month with why the rules exist?

51 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

There's no statement to make. This isn't new. Are the MTA and the PD supposed to do a press release every month with why the rules exist?

Listen if there's a petition, press and possible civic/political conversation around something yes get ahead of it and make a statement. These rules are generations old in some cases. I've been here for 40 years there are tons of rules I don't even know exist. Assumption is a killer don't assume if this goes any further reach out and communicate the rules 1+1=2.  There an a bit of Arrogance there! Every month..? Watch this turn into a discriminatory matter Especially with accessibility for mothers and children communication is everything you know this. There's no statement now let some local politicians get behind it.

9 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Listen if there's a petition, press and possible civic/political conversation around something yes get ahead of it and make a statement. These rules are generations old in some cases. I've been here for 40 years there are tons of rules I don't even know exist. Assumption is a killer don't assume if this goes any further reach out and communicate the rules 1+1=2.  There an a bit of Arrogance there! Every month..? Watch this turn into a discriminatory matter Especially with accessibility for mothers and children communication is everything you know this. There's no statement now let some local politicians get behind it.

This is asinine. An open stroller is not a neccessary requirement of parenting, so it's not discrimination. Ignorance of the laws and regulations is not a reason to declare that it's stupid or to change the regulations. If every government agency had to put out a statement about whatever Rebecca from Pilates or Joe at the deli has concerns with or is petitioning about, then no work would ever get done.

If doing basic research is called 'arrogance', then maybe I want to be the most elitist person on the planet.

23 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

This is asinine. An open stroller is not a neccessary requirement of parenting, so it's not discrimination. Ignorance of the laws and regulations is not a reason to declare that it's stupid or to change the regulations. If every government agency had to put out a statement about whatever Rebecca from Pilates or Joe at the deli has concerns with or is petitioning about, then no work would ever get done.

If doing basic research is called 'arrogance', then maybe I want to be the most elitist person on the planet.

Guy, It's all about perception and what you can prove. This could be an issue because it came up it's not every issue it's this particular one. The arrogance is in not understanding that smart and logical people don't make the rules. You've never taken a debate class huh? I don't ride the bus often but im sure I understand more then some of the people making decisions here in the City and Albany. A Petition and Opportunist is all you need to get in some ears around this town there are millions of mothers in this town in the region. A basic petition got picked by ABC were talking about it right? You know there going to reach out to the MTA for a statement I know for a fact Women in Prospect Heights and Park Slope would get behind this type of stuff and they have the time and the mouth Jane Jacobs for real. Your inexperience is showing you squash any issues before they happen, man basic rule of business and government. Forget all that Academic stuff. It's war out here.

Edited by RailRunRob

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I have not seen an open stroller on a bus here in NYC in a good while & I would like it to remain that way.....

We must travel in radically different parts of the city, because I see open strollers onboard buses at least once a week...

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

They do PR campaigns. I mean, I stopped trying to pole dance and manspread because of the red stick figure.

I do not support strollers on buses. Fold/carry. You ride, you follow some common sense rules. Much like no tripods on platforms, no dancing in the train, etc.  

However, I showed this thread to a female friend of mine — one who is definitely middle of the road sociopolitically — and she (again, while agreeing with the general point) was disgusted by the way people here were speaking of women. I hope the lady friends y’all ostensibly have are cool with this...

19 minutes ago, Deucey said:

On the S52...Oms6O1t.jpg

Like I said earlier, four years, five boroughs and three downstate MTA-funded counties and I’ve NEVER seen a stroller folded on a NYCTA vehicle.

Only an option with low floor buses correct? How'd she get on?

Edited by RailRunRob

I don’t want to hear about changing social customs, demographics, or any other excuses. I’ve been riding the buses, subways, and railroads in the NY area for almost 70 years. I’m old school and I’ll be the first to admit it. Having said that there is NO justification for open strollers on public transit. None. I used to ride with a B/O who wouldn’t let an adult on the bus until the stroller was folded, the fare paid, and the adult and child were seated. Disembark at Broadway-East NY and person had to have a folded stroller to enter the subway system. The B/O, S/A, C/R, T/O are not the police but we used to be able to cite safety concerns as a reason to deny entry or refuse to move forward. An unfolded stroller is a safety hazard. To me this proposal petition smells like a used Pamper. The dumbing down of the populace continues. Carry.

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Through the front. Four people, two fares.

i think the rule should be that if the kid is old enough to not sit in your lap, you pay half fare.

So what did people do on the Highfloor buses?  You really didn’t have a option but to fold and carry up and on correct? 

Edited by RailRunRob

5 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

So what did people do on the Highfloor buses?  You really didn’t have a option but to fold and carry up and on correct? 

When I rode the high floor bendy buses on the Bx12, they did the same as they do on the subway - get someone to carry it up/down the stairs.

Sometimes the BO would use the wheelchair lift.

Never see that on RTS’s, but I’m rarely ever on one of those in Bk.

Don't get me wrong - I’m not perturbed by unfolded strollers. But where I’m from, personal transport devices that couldn’t be folded or put on racks were restricted to off-peak hours so people have room to stand - save those mobility scooters.

My big concern is fare loss. Since VG8’s thread the other day, I’ve noticed many folks get on SI buses without paying, and practically every stroller family of three or more only pay one fare. I get kids have costs that make fares difficult for some, and I’d rather these folks pay $1.38 to get on instead of nothing - especially since one stroller for a baby under 9 months of age takes standing and seating room from 3-5 people.

Edited by Deucey

3 minutes ago, Deucey said:

When I rode the high floor bendy buses on the Bx12, they did the same as they do on the subway - get someone to carry it up/down the stairs.

Sometimes the BO would use the wheelchair lift.

Never see that on RTS’s, but I’m rarely ever on one of those in Bk.

Man so people have just been doing this for awhile I see. What about seating I know there’s seating in the front for the elderly does that apply to women with babies as well? I’m sure it does but just asking.

Just now, RailRunRob said:

Man so people have just been doing this for awhile I see. What about seating I know there’s seating in the front for the elderly does that apply to women with babies as well? I’m sure it does but just asking.

I don’t understand what you’re asking.

Are you asking:

if seniors evade fares?

if women with children should be able to sit in seats reserved for elderly and disabled people?

or something else?

Just now, Deucey said:

I don’t understand what you’re asking.

Are you asking:

if seniors evade fares?

if women with children should be able to sit in seats reserved for elderly and disabled people?

or something else?

Priority seating on buses I believe at the front of the bus. I know you have to give those seats up to the elderly and pregnant women. Just wondering if that also apply to a women with child? Are people expected to give there seats? 

13 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Priority seating on buses I believe at the front of the bus. I know you have to give those seats up to the elderly and pregnant women. Just wondering if that also apply to a women with child? Are people expected to give there seats? 

Can’t speak for others but I give up my seat to any parent holding a child and to children under age 10 or 4’2”.

10 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Listen I hear you. And by all means, I'm definitely not expecting you to be apologetic for anything I'm not trying to push Christianity here It's your point of view I respect it.So if I come off that way it isn't intentional. It was the parental responsibility standards that caught me off guard a bit. And we escalated from there. Im parent of two that hasn't really been my personal experience my families or the people around me. I don't know if that's hard to believe or if's that good or bad. Not to take away from your point again that might be your experience so I can't diminish that. And I can't say that as a parent we don't have obligations and responsibilities to our children. I took it has a broad generalization was it communicated like that? probably not. But I'm going to practice what I preach and just submit maybe it's something I don't fully understand. I was expecting it to be more transit orientated. I'm not fully acclimated to the bus system but I do see women riding with children in my neighborhood. So could there be Opportunities to allow such a policy on certain routes maybe off-peak hours? I don't know but I'm trying to come from a point of having an open mind and asking the question because I don't know and don't have pre limitations what do they do in other places?. The world I come from and the principles I encourage with my team and business. Everythings a possibility, never underestimate or over-evaluate It could end you. So maybe it's weird, foreign and naïve to some but just my process I ask questions.. I don't mean any disrespect by it. Hopefully, my POV adds another perspective to the topics and chats even if different. But yeah the respects there even if we go back and forth a bit on a few debates.  

I didn't get the sense that you, per se, were expecting me to be apologetic, but I made that denouncement as more of a PSA (lol)..... Your perspective is entirely different & there is no question that it goes against the grain, compared to the consensus from those of us that have posted on here so far..... Like I said, I just wish you would have been more upfront about how sympathetic you were to this plight, instead of being covert about it.... That's what was irritating & that's what was fueling the ferocity of those prior posts.... Had you have said, I'm for open strollers on these buses, and here's why (listing whatever your reasons are), I still would have disagreed, but there wouldn't had to have been this deciphering of how you truly felt.... It's like trying to get the truth out of a child.....

If anything, I'm the person in this thread that kickstarted a different train of thought to this issue & I'd have to say that it took off like a MF-er over the weekend here..... If I didn't expound on the poor parenting angle & kept it strictly transit, not to toot my own horn (something I hate doing), but the discussion wouldn't have been as real (at least not as quickly anyway)..... I'm not for facades; put all your cards on the table & let's have a discussion if a real discussion is going to had about (whatever).....

Again, this was never set out to be an anti-RailRunRob campaign, dude. :thumbsup:

As for allowing such a policy/avenue for open strollers on buses to happen, I'm with BM5 Woodhaven on that.... I don't see how that would be pulled off either....

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

We must travel in radically different parts of the city, because I see open strollers onboard buses at least once a week...

Yeah, apparently so.... I'm not seeing all these open strollers on these buses like the rest of you have... If the problem of open strollers are exponentially worse than what I'm personally experiencing, then there should be more people speaking out about this....

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

However, I showed this thread to a female friend of mine — one who is definitely middle of the road sociopolitically — and she (again, while agreeing with the general point) was disgusted by the way people here were speaking of women. I hope the lady friends y’all ostensibly have are cool with this...

...and I'm disgusted by how masculinity is slowly being neutered in this country....

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I don’t want to hear about changing social customs, demographics, or any other excuses. I’ve been riding the buses, subways, and railroads in the NY area for almost 70 years. I’m old school and I’ll be the first to admit it. Having said that there is NO justification for open strollers on public transit. None. I used to ride with a B/O who wouldn’t let an adult on the bus until the stroller was folded, the fare paid, and the adult and child were seated. Disembark at Broadway-East NY and person had to have a folded stroller to enter the subway system. The B/O, S/A, C/R, T/O are not the police but we used to be able to cite safety concerns as a reason to deny entry or refuse to move forward. An unfolded stroller is a safety hazard. To me this proposal petition smells like a used Pamper. The dumbing down of the populace continues. Carry.

Best point made in this entire thread so far!!!!

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

I do not support strollers on buses. Fold/carry. You ride, you follow some common sense rules. Much like no tripods on platforms, no dancing in the train, etc.  

I personally do not agree with the statements here theorizing about feminism and whatnot. Open strollers just isn't a feminist issue. It's feminism if you're a comfortable, upper-middle class white woman and this is somehow ranked as one of the worst of your issues (so HRC/Lena Dunham feminism) but if you're a woman of color, or a working-class woman, these things are nonfactors compared to the bigger picture.

50 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

.....Open strollers just isn't a feminist issue. It's feminism if you're a comfortable, upper-middle class white woman and this is somehow ranked as one of the worst of your issues (so HRC/Lena Dunham feminism) but if you're a woman of color, or a working-class woman, these things are nonfactors compared to the bigger picture.

The guy who started this petition I cannot fathom representing the masses of men that are 1] advocating open strollers on buses & 2] going as far as to even want to take his young child onto a bus.... It isn't male psyche..... Your post here sparked me to check out this petition in question.... The names on the list are majority women (which I'd obviously expect), and I suspect very few of those "name not displayed" people are men.... So I have to say that this sure as hell isn't a man's issue.....

As far as feminist women, they will latch onto anything that can & will benefit women.... In laymens, they'll make it an issue.... That's where I'm coming from with this... I'm not implicating that women that are advocates of this issue are feminist... With that said, feminism is most certainly not limited to upper middle class white women in-particular & I don't know where you're getting that from at all.....

Edited by B35 via Church

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It sure as hell isn't a man's issue (generally speaking).....

Feminist women will latch onto anything that can & will benefit women.... That movement is most certainly not limited to upper middle class white women & I don't know where you're getting that from at all.....

There are different flavors of feminism, the same way there were/are different flavors of black people fighting for more rights (MLK vs. Malcolm X), different flavors of Democrats (HRC vs. Bernie), different flavors of Republicans (Romney vs. Rand Paul vs. Trump). Feminism is so large that very rarely does anyone agree on issues, let alone their solutions, and in general your average Black or Hispanic feminist woman is more concerned about getting equal pay with a white woman, getting equal treatment by the police as a white woman, not getting killed because of crazy domestic abusers in their communities, than some crap like this. To wealthy, educated white women who identify as feminists, these bread and butter issues don't affect them so they might as well not exist.

4 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

There are different flavors of feminism, the same way there were/are different flavors of black people fighting for more rights (MLK vs. Malcolm X), different flavors of Democrats (HRC vs. Bernie), different flavors of Republicans (Romney vs. Rand Paul vs. Trump). Feminism is so large that very rarely does anyone agree on issues, let alone their solutions, and in general your average Black or Hispanic feminist woman is more concerned about getting equal pay with a white woman, getting equal treatment by the police as a white woman, not getting killed because of crazy domestic abusers in their communities, than some crap like this. To wealthy, educated white women who identify as feminists, these bread and butter issues don't affect them so they might as well not exist.

I agree with what you're saying as it relates to the grand scheme of things.....

What I'm not understanding is the making of the point of this open stroller issue not being a major one.... Nobody said that it was.

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I agree with what you're saying as it relates to the grand scheme of things.....

What I'm not understanding is the making of the point of this open stroller issue not being a major one.... Nobody said that it was.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this really has nothing to do with the neutering of masculinity. This is just busybodies being busybodies. Whether it's the busybodies at the PTA or church or the community board or looking out the window wonderin what the neighborhood kids are doing outside, males and females who are these busybody types have been stirring up this kind of nonsense since time immemorial. It's just that now with the Internet and the death of local news, anybody can start a change.org petition and call the local news affiliate starving for a story, which is probably what happened here.