Petition to allow open strollers on nyc buses

BreeddekalbL

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I’d say design for maximum given market . The LIRR will never order M series cars with R160 bench seating because they will never carry enough passengers to warrant it, and the service they’re providing. 

Same applies to airlines. Ryanair will pack 737-800s with 189 seats, but Emirates would never think of putting 440 seats on a 77W, given the long-haul market those planes serve. 

In the case of buses, well, depends on what your route is. High density, high frequency, still crowded, cull seats. Otherwise, keep. 

Yep.. You have to understand the market your building for and there guidelines. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Yep.. You have to understand the market your building for and there guidelines. 

So why maximize subway passenger area by using bench seating while not maximizing it on buses by instituting bench seating (like the Orion V’s were)?

48 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So why maximize subway passenger area by using bench seating while not maximizing it on buses by instituting bench seating (like the Orion V’s were)?

We’re  they full benches? Or just in the rear?  Fishbowls were the last fully bench style. Not a bad idea but remember some design is based around the bus itself. A lot of new buses have multiple components in different places so in some cases seat is based on that as well. From design and engineering POV.

34 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

We’re  they full benches? Or just in the rear?  Fishbowls were the last fully bench style. Not a bad idea but remember some design is based around the bus itself. A lot of new buses have multiple components in different places so in some cases seat is based on that as well. From design and engineering POV.

Orion V on SI and the Bx by Pelham Bay were all bench. 

Don't remember NYCTA Fishbowls, but don’t think I ever saw a GM or Flxible Fishbowl in bench arrangement.

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I was looking at some Interiors as I was making my last comments. This isn't my field per say but I'd think for these new generations of buses the base configurations are designed with maximization in mind. And you work your way up from there Suburban configurations, Airports shuttles. The MTA's designs If you really look at them are anchored around versatility, more standing room, (Door to Door) Disability standards, Strollers could fit into that as well. Maximum seating capacity would be 4 seats per row at least door to door. To the MTA's 3 per row on standard buses.  I see even the new MCI D45's have more room for Wheelchairs etc. For rail, it really would be based on the parameters of the agency or the system you're building for there needs and guidelines (From my experience doing CAD for Kawasaki)  Id take it buses are the same. But I wonder how many options are available for configuration on say a Nova LFA.. good question.  

S3um2sv.jpg

Be1cCRH.jpg

Orion VII hybrid OG & NG configuration

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Orion V on SI and the Bx by Pelham Bay were all bench. 

Don't remember NYCTA Fishbowls, but don’t think I ever saw a GM or Flxible Fishbowl in bench arrangement.

Yep used to ride them quite a bit growing up I was in Highschool by the time they were phased out what 95/96? Here's what they looked like inside at least the GM's. I guess they're not fully bench huh with the armrests but the seating orientation is there. 

AFlQTKD.jpg1zDHxWa.jpg

Edited by RailRunRob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also against open folded strollers. Some parents makes excuse that they cannot be folded, but I think all strollers can be folded and they just lazy. Also tourist family with stroller was worst, because they should know every bus company across the world has same policy "All strollers must be folded onboard riding the bus."

One time I was on NICE Bus n27 bus near Roslyn Rd, family with stroller boarded the Orion V and hug up entire side seat, making hard for crowd to get around.

I have 4 kids, the youngest being 3 months old. I feel that if these people have babies and know that they will be using the bus to get around, they should buy strollers that can easily fold with 1 hand. We don't have 1, but I've seen them while shopping for our current stroller. They are moderately priced at $200-$400.

Edited by Blitz

12 hours ago, Blitz said:

I have 4 kids, the youngest being 3 months old. I feel that if these people have babies and know that they will be using the bus to get around, they should buy strollers that can easily fold with 1 hand. We don't have 1, but I've seen them while shopping for our current stroller. They are moderately priced at $200-$400.

Do you take them on the bus or use a car? Seems like the obvious question to ask since you have little ones. 

17 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Do you take them on the bus or use a car? Seems like the obvious question to ask since you have little ones. 

My oldest son graduated from the stroller and walks full-time (thank god lol), and my youngest one (4 months old) uses a stroller. On the off chance I have to actually have to take him on the bus (normally I drive, if not I strap him to my chest) I fold the stroller a block before the bus shows up. I don't use them big bulky ass strollers as they take up space.

Long time ago, when I was on M10 Bus from Natural History to Columbus Circle, I saw somebody left a stroller! I wonder why some parent forget that most important baby cargo, Stroller on bus? I think that parent might be bad parenting. Most people don't forget stroller at all.

Edited by FamousNYLover

On the topic of toddlers, i have an interesting story from 2 days ago, get on the bus my mom and i sit infront while in the back of the bus you have a family of 3 mom toddler and grandma, and the toddler is very rambunctious screaming at the top of his lungs and it pierces ur ears even though they are in the back, kid keeps ringing the stop request and likes to keep throwing his toy truck on the floor, gets better the family follows mom and i onto the next bus and sit right infront of us!😠 now the kid is even worse to where the mom doesnt give a damn about controlling the rambunctious toddler and the toddler was slapping his mom. The toddler also was playing with his toy truck on the floor of the bus and kept bumping into my knee twice it even gets better the kid was playing with his toy truck on the floor of the bus while it was moving

4 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

On the topic of toddlers, i have an interesting story from 2 days ago, get on the bus my mom and i sit infront while in the back of the bus you have a family of 3 mom toddler and grandma, and the toddler is very rambunctious screaming at the top of his lungs and it pierces ur ears even though they are in the back, kid keeps ringing the stop request and likes to keep throwing his toy truck on the floor, gets better the family follows mom and i onto the next bus and sit right infront of us!😠 now the kid is even worse to where the mom doesnt give a damn about controlling the rambunctious toddler and the toddler was slapping his mom. The toddler also was playing with his toy truck on the floor of the bus and kept bumping into my knee twice it even gets better the kid was playing with his toy truck on the floor of the bus while it was moving

To add i forgot, im suprised they dont allow bus drivers to kick em off for safety violations

Edited by BreeddekalbL

On 11/17/2017 at 10:41 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

20 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

To add i forgot, im suprised they dont allow bus drivers to kick em off for safety violations

How is any of this relevant?

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

How is any of this relevant?

I also forgot to add the toddler was running around on the crowded bus.

In a way this is relevant becauae of the arguement in the article by the one who proposed making the rules easier regarding toddlers and strollers

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 11:23 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When it's all of us together, car. My wife and I, with the baby, will use the subway once in a blue moon. Never on the bus though, it's too much of a hassle for us, and an inconvenience to everyone else

Edited by Blitz

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (MTA) should post their policy on the bus or outside of it so that it's there for passengers to see. It would avoid a lot of the back and forth that I've witnessed.

It is on the bus. It's posted up on the front that strollers are allowed if they are folded.