MNRR & LIRR Planned/Unplanned Service Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

18 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

All Metro-North Service (East of Hudson) is suspended at this time.

Suspended 

Posted: 05/15/2018  5:18PM

Hudson Line service is currently suspended to ensure customer safety during the course of the thunderstorms in our service area and multiple downed trees. Trains en route will remain at stations until further notice. Please listen for announcements at your station.

Suspended 

Posted: 05/15/2018  5:28PM

Harlem Line service is currently suspended to ensure customer safety during the course of the thunderstorms in our service area and multiple downed tree. Trains en route will remain at stations until further notice. Please listen for announcements at your station.

Suspended

Posted: 05/15/2018  5:27PM

New Haven Line service is currently suspended to ensure customer safety during the course of the thunderstorms in our service area and multiple downed tree. Trains en route will remain at stations until further notice. Please listen for announcements at your station.

I'm waiting in my office now working until this is over. I had planned on taking Metro-North tonight... <_<

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limited Service on the Hudson Line is now up with extensive delays:

Delays 

Posted: 05/15/2018  6:26PM

Hudson Line service has resumed between Grand Central Terminal and Croton-Harmon with delays of up to 60 minutes. Service between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie remains suspended due to the of multiple downed trees. Please listen for announcements at your station.

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Limited Service on the Hudson Line is now up with extensive delays:

Delays 

Posted: 05/15/2018  6:26PM

Hudson Line service has resumed between Grand Central Terminal and Croton-Harmon with delays of up to 60 minutes. Service between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie remains suspended due to the of multiple downed trees. Please listen for announcements at your station.

So basically anyone who needs to go past Croton-on-Hudson is screwed... 

Press Release

May 15, 2018 

Metro-North

IMMEDIATE

Metro-North Train Service Suspended; Grand Central Terminal Entrances Temporarily Closed to Prevent Overcrowding

As a result of downed trees across the northern suburbs affecting all rail lines, Metro-North Railroad has suspended service on the Harlem Line, Hudson Line and New Haven Line until further notice. To prevent overcrowding of Grand Central Terminal, the Terminal’s entrances are being closed temporarily.

Customers are asked not to enter Grand Central Terminal until train service can be restored.

Let's see:

MTA homepage: Wassaic portion of the Harlem Line in service

Subway station announcements: Service south of North White Plains is restored

MTA service alert: Harlem Line Service is suspended entirely.

Well, which one is it?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Let's see:

MTA homepage: Wassaic portion of the Harlem Line in service

Subway stations intercom: Service south of North White Plains is restored

MTA service alert: Harlem Line Service is suspended entirely.

Well, which one is it?

Probably none of them

Tonight on the news they interviewed a Woman who decided to take Uber from Midtown to White Plains due to the MN service being out... the cost for the Uber was 387 bucks! If I was her I would have just taken the (4) to Bee line to get to White Plains which would have only cost 2.75. I can't imagine paying 387 bucks for a form of transportation between two points within the Tri State Area.

14 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Tonight on the news they interviewed a Woman who decided to take Uber from Midtown to White Plains due to the MN service being out... the cost for the Uber was 387 bucks! If I was her I would have just taken the (4) to Bee line to get to White Plains which would have only cost 2.75. I can't imagine paying 387 bucks for a form of transportation between two points within the Tri State Area.

The entire Harlem Line was down so you think other people didn't come up with that idea? She probably had a long day and just wanted to get home. 

33 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The BxM4C would have been a better bet, given that it's a one-seat ride, and around the same price as the train. 

The plan for the morning is buried in the (MTA) website:

For Wednesday, May 16, Metro-North expects to operate regular train service on the New Haven Line, regular service between Croton-Harmon and Grand Central on the Hudson Line and regular service between North White Plains and Grand Central on the Harlem Line.

Limited Service is anticipated between Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon on the Hudson Line and limited service is anticipated between Southeast and North White Plains on the Harlem Line. Service remains suspended between Wassaic and Southeast.

Some trains will be canceled and combined and customers should expect delays and crowded conditions. Please listen for station announcements.

Crews continue to work through the night to clear trees and repair third rail damage following the severe storm that hit the service territory Tuesday night. Please check our website for any updates. 

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The BxM4C would have been a better bet, given that it's a one-seat ride, and around the same price as the train. 

Agreed because Grand Central was a zoo last night.

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The plan for the morning is buried in the (MTA) website:

For Wednesday, May 16, Metro-North expects to operate regular train service on the New Haven Line, regular service between Croton-Harmon and Grand Central on the Hudson Line and regular service between North White Plains and Grand Central on the Harlem Line.

Limited Service is anticipated between Poughkeepsie and Croton Harmon on the Hudson Line and limited service is anticipated between Southeast and North White Plains on the Harlem Line. Service remains suspended between Wassaic and Southeast.

Some trains will be canceled and combined and customers should expect delays and crowded conditions. Please listen for station announcements.

Crews continue to work through the night to clear trees and repair third rail damage following the severe storm that hit the service territory Tuesday night. Please check our website for any updates. 

I'm so sick of MNRR.  They used to be so much better.  Every time there's a storm now, they can't clearly communicate and have a plan in place.  I don't mind trains being cancelled, but why can't they just come out and say THESE trains WILL be canceled?  It's one thing to have this after the storm, but another to have this the morning after when they know what the damage is and what needs to be done.  You show up at the station expecting a train that supposedly isn't cancelled to arrive, and then you sit and wait and wait, and then they either don't say anything, or tell you at the last minute that it's cancelled.  It's a waste of time to sit there that long, and then have trains bypassing you because they're too crowded, and they expect you to pay the full fare for such BS horrendous service.  They can alert passengers in advance of alternatives to alleviate crowding, but instead they just act like they can't do anything.

Thousands of commuters stranded as Grand Central closed its doors while Metro-North delayed trains ahead of powerful storm

By DAN RIVOLI and JANON FISHER| NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |MAY 15, 2018 | 9:04 PM

Grand Central Terminal closed its doors after the MTA nixed Metro-North ahead of a thunderstorm.

Spring thunder-boomers pounded Tuesday's evening rush hour, temporarily stranding thousands of commuters trying to get home.

Grand Central Terminal closed its doors ahead of the rush after the MTA halted Metro-North ahead of a storm.

The entrances to the station were closed after the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines were suspended "to ensure customer safety."

Downed trees blocked the tracks, Metro-North posted on Twitter.

NLVTHSBCXJOIWTJWD5CBQTYRZI.jpg

Commuters are stranded in Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal after several lines of the Metro-North train service was suspended on Tuesday. (Angus Mordant/for New York Daily News)

The MTA asked riders to avoid the 42nd St. terminal while they restored service to the commuter line. As the rain died down, commuters on the Hudson line between Grand Central and Croton-Harmon suffered hour-long delays.

"Earlier today Metro North began their contingency planning for what happened this evening," MTA chairman Joe Lhota said. "It couldn't have happened at a worse time, at the very very beginning of rush hour."

He said that 70-mph winds ripped down trees, causing havoc up and down the line.

DdRPEeKX0AAPA5w.jpg

View image on Twitter

Johanna Barr✔@johannabarr

outside is bad and the subway is also bad

5:51 PM - May 15, 2018

73 24 people are talking about this

"It's not just rain, it's wind," Lhota said. "I wouldn't consider this a rain event. This is a wind event."

Downed trees hit the Harlem line the worst.

"Numerous trees came down on all three lines," the chairman said. "(Workers) immediate started to take the trees off."

QKU9LwaX3-ViPIjg?format=jpg&name=small

Alyssa Paolicelli@APaolicelli17

People are being turned away from the tunnel connecting 8th & 7th Avenue at 42nd Street/Times Square @NY1

6:20 PM - May 15, 2018

He said police closed the terminal to avoid overcrowding.

"It's chaos obviously but I don't know if there anything that can be done," Marsha Smith of New Rochelle said in the station. "I don't think I have an alternative. It's frustrating."

Catherine Rinaldi, president of the Metro-North, said that the service disruption was necessary for to ensure passenger safety.

DdROD8-XcAIQCys.jpg

Evan Schwartz@evanschwartz

Huge tree down in Park Slope on Saint John’s Place. Wow.

5:46 PM - May 15, 2018

See Evan Schwartz's other Tweets

"People were stopped, we kept them there for their safety because the storm was so severe and so intense we wanted to make sure that nobody was put in danger," she said.

Karen Yang, 22, had her trip to New Haven delayed, but she took it in stride.

"I know the rain's going pass and I know it's going to be fine," she said.

Metro-North Railroad✔@MetroNorth

6:18 PM - May 15, 2018

While Grand Central was at a standstill and packed, subway riders in Midtown fared no better.

Riders submitted pictures of heavy crowds at Times Sq.-42nd St. tunnel to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and on the Nos. 1, 2, 3 train platforms.

The Times Square tunnel to the bus terminal got so crowded that riders were reportedly turned away.

Myles Miller✔@MylesMill

JUST IN: Metal and steel falls from Williamsburg building under construction at 926 Bedford Ave. Cc: @nycoem

5:36 PM - May 15, 2018

29 44 people are talking about this

Amtrak is slowing down trains between New York and New Haven, Connecticut.

The fierce wind from the thunderstorm is causing damage around the city — and New Yorkers are there to capture it for social media.

There were reports of a downed tree in Park Slope, on St. John's Pl. Over in Williamsburg, footage showed metal debris tumbling off the roof of a building under construction. A woman posted a video to Twitter showing a line of buses on Lefferts Blvd. and 110st Ave. unable to move because of a tree that fell down.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/grand-central-shuts-doors-metro-north-halts-trains-storm-article-1.3991654

That’s been their one weakness for YEARS: When shit hits the fan, Metro-North just doesn’t communicate to its riders.

They’ve gotten a little better with isolated delays (ie: if the 12:25 to New Haven is arriving at Stamford 10” late they’ll send an alert now when they didn’t before) but when there’s an outage like yesterday, they always leave everyone in the dark.

Sure, Metro-North runs great 95% of the time (which is astounding) but if they can’t reasonably mitigate the chaos that happens the other 5% of the time, everyone will only remember that ONE time Joe Schmo got stranded in Croton because MN didn’t have buses available.

17 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

That’s been their one weakness for YEARS: When shit hits the fan, Metro-North just doesn’t communicate to its riders.

They’ve gotten a little better with isolated delays (ie: if the 12:25 to New Haven is arriving at Stamford 10” late they’ll send an alert now when they didn’t before) but when there’s an outage like yesterday, they always leave everyone in the dark.

Sure, Metro-North runs great 95% of the time (which is astounding) but if they can’t reasonably mitigate the chaos that happens the other 5% of the time, everyone will only remember that ONE time Joe Schmo got stranded in Croton because MN didn’t have buses available.

Last year I bought monthly Metro-North passes on top of my express bus pass.  This year I have basically almost eliminated my Metro-North usage.  For the snow storms I didn't even bother after getting screwed over one morning. I stuck with the express bus, and saved hundreds of dollars in the process by not buying passes.  If I leave early, then sit at the Spuyten Duyvil station for 20 - 30 minutes, then can't get on that train and then wait for the next one, I've basically killed all of the extra time I gave myself and am better off taking the express bus.

• 1 month later...

Service Change

Posted: 06/30/2018  4:16PM

The Port Washington Branch is temporarily suspended in both directions between Great Neck and Port Washington due to switch trouble in Port Washington. Buses have been secured between Great Neck and Port Washington and should arrive on scene in approximately 35 minutes. Again, we thank you for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Service Change

Posted: 06/30/2018  4:27PM

Eastbound:

The 3:18PM train from Penn due Port Washington at 4:05PM has been canceled at Great Neck due to a switch problem in Port Washington resulting in service suspended between Great Neck and Port Washington. Customers will be accommodated by buses that have been secured and will arrive on scene in approximately 35 minutes. We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Westbound:

The 3:42PM train from Port Washington due Penn at 4:27PM has been canceled due to a switch problem in Port Washington resulting in service suspended between Great Neck and Port Washington. Customers will be accommodated by buses that have been secured and will arrive on scene in approximately 35 minutes. We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

• 1 month later...

Derailment has suspended service and will cause cancellations for the evening rush

Oyster Bay Branch Customers
Delays  Posted: 08/01/2018  3:55PM 

Anticipate Some Delays, Cancellations During PM Rush

LIRR customers can anticipate some delays and cancellations during the PM Rush due to a train with two derailed axles west of Woodside. We are running limited E/B shuttle train service between Woodside and Port Washington. Customers headed to stations Flushing/Main Street thru Port Washington are advised to take any LIRR train to Woodside, then transfer for shuttle service, or consider using Oyster Bay Branch trains, which will make added stops at Mineola. In addition, all Port Jefferson diesel trains will add stops at Hicksville & Huntington. Westbound Port Washington Branch service will be temporarily suspended after the departure of the 4:08 PM train from Port Washington. We expect to resume westbound service with the 6:26 PM departure from Port Washington. We will provide updates as information becomes available. Alternative: NYC Transit is cross-honoring LIRR tickets on the 7 subway at Woodside & Flushing-Main St. Please allow extra travel time and listen for updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Waterbury Line Customers
Service Change  Posted: 08/01/2018  5:10PM 

Waterbury Branch Customers: Bus service representing Train #1934 (3:41PM from Bridgeport to Waterbury) at Bridgeport will one express service to Waterbury station and two local service buses making all station stops up the branch. Please listen for announcements at your station. 

Who wrote this?

• 2 months later...

Montauk Branch Customers
Service Change  Posted: 10/12/2018  6:31PM 

The 4:06PM train from Penn due Montauk at 6:38PM is operating 17 minutes late through Bridgehampton at this time.

The 6:28PM train from Penn due Speonk at 8:30PM will operate as an electric train from Penn to Babylon. Customers will transfer to a diesel train in Babylon for service to Speonk.

Didn't know that they were running shuttle buses this entire week on the Waterbury Branch

Waterbury Line Customers
Service Change  Posted: 10/08/2018  4:52AM 

Substitute bus service will operate betweenWaterbury and Bridgeport on all trains, Monday-Friday, Oct. 8-12, toaccommodate safety upgrades and infrastructure improvements. Buses will operate15-30 minutes earlier than scheduled trains. Please listen for announcementsand check local or express bus service to your destination while boarding.

Train service will resume on Saturday, Oct. 13. 

• 1 month later...

City Zone

Suspended

Due to weather related switch trouble, westbound service between Jamaica and Penn Station is temporarily suspended. NYC Transit is cross-honoring tickets for the E train at Jamaica (Sutphin/Archer), Kew Gardens (Union Turnpike) and Forest Hills (71st Avenue) LIRR Crews continue to work to repair the switch. We will keep you updated.

View less 

Oyster Bay

Service Change

Due to weather-related switch trouble, all Oyster Bay eastbound trains will be adding stops at Mineola. All Port Jefferson eastbound trains will be adding stops at Hicksville, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington. All Montauk eastbound trains will be adding stops at Babylon. 

Delays

The 4:44PM train from Long Island City due Oyster Bay at 6:19PM is operating 17 minutes late through Jamaica due to weather-related switch trouble. 

Port Jefferson

Service Change

Due to weather-related switch trouble, all Oyster Bay eastbound trains will be adding stops at Mineola. All Port Jefferson eastbound trains will be adding stops at Hicksville, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington. All Montauk eastbound trains will be adding stops at Babylon. 

Delays

Due to weather related switch trouble west of Woodside, customers are advised to anticipate systemwide delays of 10 to 15 minutes, along with some cancellations. 
LIRR crews are on the scene attempting to repair the switch. We will keep you updated

The following Trains are canceled:

-The 6:30PM train from Penn due Huntington at 7:32PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:35PM train from Penn due Hicksville at 7:22PM, stopping at Jamaica, New Hyde Park and all local stops to Huntington.

-The 6:30PM train from Penn due Huntington at 7:32PM is canceled due to weather-related switch trouble. Customers can take by the 6:35PM train from Penn due Hicksville at 7:22PM, stopping at Jamaica, New Hyde Park and all local stops to Huntington.     

-The 5:29PM train from Atlantic Terminal due Huntington at 6:28PM is canceled this evening due to switch trouble. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

-The 5:06PM train from Penn due Huntington at 6:07PM is canceled due to weather-related switch trouble. Customers can take by the 5:17PM train from Penn due Huntington at 6:21PM stopping at Westbury and all local stops to Huntington.

Delayed Trains

Westbound

The 4:06PM train from Port Jefferson due Jamaica at 5:39PM departed 20 minutes late due to late-arriving equipment. 

Eastbound

The 5:12PM train from Hunterspoint Avenue due Port Jefferson at 7:00PM is operating 16 minutes late through Jamaica due to weather-related switch trouble. 

The 4:49PM train from Penn due Port Jefferson at 6:36PM is operating 10 minutes late through Hicksville due to weather-related switch trouble. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like the extra trains will not be running on the Ronkonkoma Branch:

Ronkonkoma Branch Customers
Suspended  Posted: 01/01/2019 12:55AM 

Ronkonkoma Branch service remains suspended in bothdirections between Hicksville and Ronkonkoma due to a person being struck by atrain west of Farmingdale. Based onpast experience, we anticipate restoring service in approximately two and ahalf hours.  We are attempting to securebuses, but they have not been obtained at this time. We suggest you usealternate branches if possible, such as the Huntington/Port Jefferson orBabylon branches. We will provide updates shortly.  

Eastbound
The 11:14PM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 12:37AM is being delayed west of Farmingdale due to striking a person on the tracks. 

The 12:49AM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 2:09AM is canceled due to a suspension on the Ronkonkoma Branch caused by a person being struck by a train west of Farmingdale. 

Westbound
The 12:46AM train from Ronkonkoma due Penn at 2:06AM is canceled due to a service suspension on the Ronkonkoma Branch caused by a person on the tracks being struck by a train west of Farmingdale. 

• 1 month later...

Ronkonkoma Branch Customers
Suspended  Posted: 02/26/2019  8:19PM 

Service is suspended on the Ronkonkoma and Huntington/Port Jefferson Branches in both directions. The 6:36PM train from Ronkonkoma due Penn at 7:56PM is disabled near the School Street crossing in Westbury after striking a truck that was on the tracks. Police and emergency personnel are on scene. We advise customers to take alternate branches including the Babylon, Montauk or Hempstead branches. We will provide more information as it becomes available.

Delays  Posted: 02/26/2019  7:44PM 

The 6:53PM train from Ronkonkoma due Greenport at 8:17PM is operating 47 minutes late due to a late-arriving connection.

• 1 month later...

April 13-14: No Weekend Service Between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal

On the weekend of April 13-14, switch replacement work will require a suspension of LIRR service between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal after 12:30 AM, Saturday, April 13, through 4:30 AM, Monday, April 15. For customers looking to travel between Brooklyn and Jamaica Station, and for Nostrand Avenue and East New York stations customers, NYC Transit will cross-honor LIRR tickets via the subway lines referenced below:

Eastbound

Atlantic Terminal customers can board Manhattan-bound (2)(3)  trains to Penn Station for eastbound LIRR service.

Nostrand Avenue customers can board a Manhattan-bound (A)(C)  train at the Nostrand Av subway stop, and travel to 34th St./Penn Station for eastbound LIRR service.

East New York customers can walk north on Van Sinderen Avenue to the Broadway Junction subway stop, and board a Manhattan-bound (A)(C)  train to 34th St./Penn Station for eastbound LIRR service.

Westbound

Customers traveling to Atlantic Terminal can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board (2)(3)  trains for service to Atlantic Terminal/Barclays Center.

Customers traveling to Nostrand Avenue can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board a Brooklyn-bound (A)(C) train to the Nostrand Av subway stop.

Customers traveling to East New York can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board a Brooklyn-bound (A)(C)   train at 34th St./Penn Station for service to the Broadway Junction subway stop.

Regular train service will resume in time for the Monday morning rush hour.

For more information, contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.-

----------------------------------------

The (J) is out between Crescent St and Jamaica Center, so all detours have to be through Manhattan/Penn 

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

On the weekend of April 13-14, switch replacement work will require a suspension of LIRR service between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal after 12:30 AM, Saturday, April 13, through 4:30 AM, Monday, April 15. For customers looking to travel between Brooklyn and Jamaica Station, and for Nostrand Avenue and East New York stations customers, NYC Transit will cross-honor LIRR tickets via the subway lines referenced below:

Eastbound

Atlantic Terminal customers can board Manhattan-bound (2)(3)  trains to Penn Station for eastbound LIRR service.

Nostrand Avenue customers can board a Manhattan-bound (A)(C)  train at the Nostrand Av subway stop, and travel to 34th St./Penn Station for eastbound LIRR service.

East New York customers can walk north on Van Sinderen Avenue to the Broadway Junction subway stop, and board a Manhattan-bound (A)(C)  train to 34th St./Penn Station for eastbound LIRR service.

Westbound

Customers traveling to Atlantic Terminal can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board (2)(3)  trains for service to Atlantic Terminal/Barclays Center.

Customers traveling to Nostrand Avenue can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board a Brooklyn-bound (A)(C) train to the Nostrand Av subway stop.

Customers traveling to East New York can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board a Brooklyn-bound (A)(C)   train at 34th St./Penn Station for service to the Broadway Junction subway stop.

For more information, contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.-

The (J) is out between Crescent St and Jamaica Center, so all detours have to be through Manhattan/Penn 

One time they had this G.O they was cross honoring with the Q24 bus, guess not this time.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, N6 Limited said:

Eastbound

Westbound

Customers traveling to Atlantic Terminal can take any LIRR train to Penn Station, then board (2)(3)  trains for service to Atlantic Terminal/Barclays Center.

Yeah but, if ENY commuters want the LIRR, they can take the (J) to Lorimer. (G) to Queens. Then (E) to Jamaica Center