MNRR & LIRR Planned/Unplanned Service Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

If you truly believe that first statement, then I have to conclude that you're oblivious to just how much intra-island usage that exists.... It's to the point where you have people riding to LIRR Jamaica from the east, to xfer to some other branch of the RR to get to some other part of Nassau County..... Used to see people doing that all the time when I used to take the LIRR home..... The number of riders resorting to doing that nonsense should literally be zero if there was this complete shunning of intra-island usage.....

SCT is mostly utilized by those that are trying to get to areas that aren't really near any RR station.... SCT is less of a substitute for the RR than it is for a car & I don't really see that dynamic changing if service east of Babylon, Ronkonkoma, and Huntington (respectively) weren't as deplorable as they are...... Nassau county gets all the flack for being so pro-car, when actually, Suffolk county patrons in that regard are worse!! IDK how many "when I get my car" or "my car's gotta get fixed", or "my _______ (insert familial relationship here) got the car" stories/mentions I've heard whilst utilizing SCT..... So I'm not exactly buying that SCT gets most the usage that it gets, due to poor RR service.....

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who lives out in Nassau. I don't really doubt the existence of intra-island riders and reverse peak commuters, I'm just pointing out that people on Long Island still see the LIRR only as a commuter rail for people living in the suburbs and work on the city during peak periods.  Very few people in either Nassau and Suffolk are willing to admit they use the system in pretty creative ways. You also have the MTA and Governor Cuomo trying to keep LIRR riders ignorant of how to use the system, oblivious to the fact that more and more people are choosing to stay on Long Island for work because the commute into the city isn't worth it anymore. 

I'm not oblivious to how much intra-island usage the LIRR gets. My thoughts are usually along the lines of "Why are you using the Main Line for travel to points East? Don't you know that the Main Line's cursed? There's always some idiot motorist getting onto the tracks or downed utility pole somewhere around Westbury ruining it for everyone. Use the Babylon Branch for Nassau-Suffolk travel."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

There is no way people will use the bus (if they even know it exist). Its hard to compete with LIRR $3.25 one zone fare. There are people geting on the train at Mineola and those intra island stations believe it or not.

Very few. The LIRR runs anemic reverse peak service, making life extremely hard for those wishing to not go to NYC. 

Two quick points. As many have pointed out the SCT bus routes are nothing like NYCT bus routes. They don't serve the same purpose so most comparisons are a waste of time. Suffolk is car territory even compared to Nassau. I have relatives in Suffolk who have never stepped on a SCT bus and they've lived in the county since 1980. I'm the odd ball because I might drive over to Amityville, park the car, and ride the S1 from end to end just to see what's on the route. I've had relatives that have been confined to the VA Hospital in Northport or Stony Brook hospital and it amazes me that they or their visitors don't know that from the Brentwood LIRR station it's a one seat ride to either place. They're Brentwood residents mind you. Originally from Brooklyn and Queens. Bus riders from the boroughs that won't utilize SCT.  The Nassau relatives are the same .Go figure.

Point two is railroad related. I watched the Westbury  PSEG fiasco unfold over time while monitoring the (MTA) LIRR response. For a time it appeared that there were at least two Ronkonkoma bound trains stuck between Westbury/Mineola and Jamaica while this utility pole stopped movement east and west. I started wondering why the LIRR didn't run the westbound trains to Hicksville and reverse them down the Central Branch to Babylon. I'm not privy to how the folks behind the desks at Jamaica run their railroad, I'm just a subway guy, but it seemed like an option to me. Likewise the eastbound Ronkonkoma or Port Jeff trains that were not yet caught up in the mess could have run some type of limited service along the Babylon Branch from Penn, Atlantic terminal or Jamaica and up the Central Branch to Hicksville . Just my speculation. Hey, they critique the subways so I figure turnabout is fair play.BTW while all of this unfolded how did MNRR Hudson, Harlem and New Haven fare ? I was watching News12 LI most of the time. You know, "as local and as uninformative as it gets". That station, Lol. Station with a weatherman straight from the Cartoon Network, IMO. Then again mention a storm or even a potential storm to some of these weather people and they start foaming at the mouth.  Carry on.

LIRR quite honestly runs horrible reverse peak service. The entire railroad is geared primarily towards peak Penn Riders. However there are a few intra island riders, usually on the same branch (Mineola-Hicksville) (Hicksville to Ronk or Hunt.) (plenty of Nassau-Suffolk in general) However if it's on a different branch it's completely unusable Queens Village to New Hyde Park which will require that backtrack to Jamaica. Even getting to local stations are ridiculous sometimes, as some trains stop at one and the next one stop at the other (Carle Place, Westbury).

Edited by Mtatransit

50 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Point two is railroad related. I watched the Westbury  PSEG fiasco unfold over time while monitoring the (MTA) LIRR response. For a time it appeared that there were at least two Ronkonkoma bound trains stuck between Westbury/Mineola and Jamaica while this utility pole stopped movement east and west. I started wondering why the LIRR didn't run the westbound trains to Hicksville and reverse them down the Central Branch to Babylon. I'm not privy to how the folks behind the desks at Jamaica run their railroad, I'm just a subway guy, but it seemed like an option to me. Likewise the eastbound Ronkonkoma or Port Jeff trains that were not yet caught up in the mess could have run some type of limited service along the Babylon Branch from Penn, Atlantic terminal or Jamaica and up the Central Branch to Hicksville . Just my speculation. Hey, they critique the subways so I figure turnabout is fair play.BTW while all of this unfolded how did MNRR Hudson, Harlem and New Haven fare ? I was watching News12 LI most of the time. You know, "as local and as uninformative as it gets". That station, Lol. Station with a weatherman straight from the Cartoon Network, IMO. Then again mention a storm or even a potential storm to some of these weather people and they start foaming at the mouth.  Carry on.

The portion of the Central Branch between Beth Interlocking (where the Main Line diverges and turns east towards Greenport) and Babylon is not electrified, so that prevents Ronkonkoma or Huntington trains from using it. I can't say what the LIRR was thinking either, but since the diesel fleet is so small, maybe they figured backtracking diesel trains via the Central Branch was infeasible. 

Occasionally, when the Main Line is closed on weekends due to some kind of construction, the LIRR will reroute Ronkonkoma trains via the Central Branch, but they have to allocate diesel locomotives and coaches to do so. 

Edited by Mysterious2train

1 hour ago, Mysterious2train said:

The portion of the Central Branch between Beth Interlocking (where the Main Line diverges and turns east towards Greenport) and Babylon is not electrified, so that prevents Ronkonkoma or Huntington trains from using it. I can't say what the LIRR was thinking either, but since the diesel fleet is so small, maybe they figured backtracking diesel trains via the Central Branch was infeasible. 

Occasionally, when the Main Line is closed on weekends due to some kind of construction, the LIRR will reroute Ronkonkoma trains via the Central Branch, but they have to allocate diesel locomotives and coaches to do so. 

I'm aware of the limitations of the Central Branch but with so many cancellations, especially trains out of LIC or HPA there should have been some spare diesels floating around somewhere. Use the Greenport Scoot if need be. I know a few folks who suggested using SCT buses from Babylon to points north. IIRC the S27 runs from Babylon north to the Deer Park-Brentwood-Hauppauge area. It may not be the optimal solution but I'm an old Brooklynite who was taught that there's usually more than one way to get home.:).

6 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who lives out in Nassau. I don't really doubt the existence of intra-island riders and reverse peak commuters, I'm just pointing out that people on Long Island still see the LIRR only as a commuter rail for people living in the suburbs and work on the city during peak periods.  Very few people in either Nassau and Suffolk are willing to admit they use the system in pretty creative ways. You also have the MTA and Governor Cuomo trying to keep LIRR riders ignorant of how to use the system, oblivious to the fact that more and more people are choosing to stay on Long Island for work because the commute into the city isn't worth it anymore. 

I'm not oblivious to how much intra-island usage the LIRR gets. My thoughts are usually along the lines of "Why are you using the Main Line for travel to points East? Don't you know that the Main Line's cursed? There's always some idiot motorist getting onto the tracks or downed utility pole somewhere around Westbury ruining it for everyone. Use the Babylon Branch for Nassau-Suffolk travel."

Quite sure there are Nassau residents that hold the belief that people only (and I mean that literally) use the personal vehicle and/or the LIRR to get around.... Of course this isn't true.

Alright, so you don't doubt intra-Island riders exist & embellished that point to make the point that the LIRR is viewed as a peak direction mode of travel by LI residents (which by itself, we aren't doubting)..... So now the narrative is that these riders are somehow concealing that they use the RR in that manner.... What would be the reason for not professing that exactly? I mean, you aren't going to get some intra-island commuter feeling less than, admitting that they take the RR b/w, say, Mineola & Hicksville, over taking NICE bus..... Why, because even though they aren't riding to/from "the city", they're still utilizing the RR....

.....which goes back to Checkmate's point.

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Two quick points. As many have pointed out the SCT bus routes are nothing like NYCT bus routes. They don't serve the same purpose so most comparisons are a waste of time. Suffolk is car territory even compared to Nassau. I have relatives in Suffolk who have never stepped on a SCT bus and they've lived in the county since 1980. I'm the odd ball because I might drive over to Amityville, park the car, and ride the S1 from end to end just to see what's on the route. I've had relatives that have been confined to the VA Hospital in Northport or Stony Brook hospital and it amazes me that they or their visitors don't know that from the Brentwood LIRR station it's a one seat ride to either place. They're Brentwood residents mind you. Originally from Brooklyn and Queens. Bus riders from the boroughs that won't utilize SCT.  The Nassau relatives are the same .Go figure.

Come to think of it, I do find that there are more former NYC residents that done moved out to Suffolk over Nassau.... They're the same people I find that are taking S23/29's, S40, S66's, S60's, S61's, S33's, etc.... I remember one SCT fantrip I did in particular, that had me embarking on a bus that was operated by my aunt's childhood friend (who, at one point, lived in the same bldg. in Clinton Hill as my aunt)..... Called me by name & everything.... It was a trip on the 3c (it was this same trip that I found out about Central Islip Town Center).... Throughout the ride, we were chopping it up about how bad the Knicks stink & how the Nets were never going to amount to anything, now that they're "here in Brooklyn" (her words).... Told my aunt that I ran into her, and she was telling me about, oh yeah, she (the b/o of that 3c) got married & had fifty-eleven kids (lol) & moved out to Bellport (which in my mind, meant North Bellport).... Don't know if she still works for SBC (Suffolk Bus Corp.), or if she even drives a bus at all.....

Hate to be morbid, but the only family members I have in Suffolk county are in Calverton (if you catch my drift)...... You couldn't pay me to live in Nassau or Suffolk; I'd take Westchester county over both of them... One of the main reasons being MNRR > LIRR (IMO anyway) & quite frankly, their bus system caters to their residents better.....

LMAO.... You have a saying for News12 also!? The one I have is "as repetitive as local news gets".... If it's a story you want to hear about & just missed it, no problem, just wait 5 more minutes.... If it's a story you want to hear about & nothing's being told about it in a certain amt. of time, well good luck with ever hearing about it for the rest of that day....   (Not) to my surprise, News 12 didn't cover this story that had Church av. lined up w/ news vans from Albany to Troy, and E. 43rd blocked off by police b/w Church & Linden this past wednesday.... As I was driving past, I said to myself, "Oh who got shot now".... I turned it to News12 when I got home, watched for about 10 mins. before I eventually went to the interwebs..... You know it's bad when shows on BCAT is more professional than you!! Speaking of professional, WTH happened with Channel 11's morning news? I remember faithfully watching it from the time I woke up 'til the time I left (maaan, the things I would have done to Lisa Mateo) when I was going to college....

2 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

LIRR quite honestly runs horrible reverse peak service. The entire railroad is geared primarily towards peak Penn Riders. However there are a few intra island riders, usually on the same branch (Mineola-Hicksville) (Hicksville to Ronk or Hunt.) (plenty of Nassau-Suffolk in general) However if it's on a different branch it's completely unusable Queens Village to New Hyde Park which will require that backtrack to Jamaica. Even getting to local stations are ridiculous sometimes, as some trains stop at one and the next one stop at the other (Carle Place, Westbury).

I used to see the crowds across the platform @ Mineola on my way back to Brooklyn & no shortage of people getting off the same WB train I would board.....

As Hound (the member on here) would say.... "NICE sucks"

Edited by B35 via Church

10 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

After I started riding the LIRR more frequently, I began to investigate intra-island trips, if you're not on the same branch it's just not feasible. Even trips like Valley Stream to Rockille Centre,  Floral Park to Mineola or Rosedale to Freeport generally requires a backtrack to Jamaica. 

In your Example, someone would have to take the train from Queens Village to Stuart Manor and walk up or take the N25.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:57 AM, N6 Limited said:

After I started riding the LIRR more frequently, I began to investigate intra-island trips, if you're not on the same branch it's just not feasible. Even trips like Valley Stream to Rockille Centre,  Floral Park to Mineola or Rosedale to Freeport generally requires a backtrack to Jamaica. 

In your Example, someone would have to take the train from Queens Village to Stuart Manor and walk up or take the N25.

It's intentional on part of the villages and towns that make up Long Island. Some of the neighborhoods are pretty vocal about not wanting certain people in their neighborhoods. You have people from Westbury not wanting anyone from New Cassel in their neighborhood and using their parking out of congestion fears, a lot of south shore towns not wanting out of town residents using their parking for the LIRR. Even though the MTA runs the LIRR, some villages and towns have the power to control parking lots.

3 hours ago, NY1635 said:

It's intentional on part of the villages and towns that make up Long Island. Some of the neighborhoods are pretty vocal about not wanting certain people in their neighborhoods. You have people from Westbury not wanting anyone from New Cassel in their neighborhood and using their parking out of congestion fears, a lot of south shore towns not wanting out of town residents using their parking for the LIRR. Even though the MTA runs the LIRR, some villages and towns have the power to control parking lots.

Some towns abhor their LIRR service so much that they give the residents the opportunity to drive to other branches' stations...

The town of Oyster Bay owns a parking lot next to Hicksville station... And Oyster Bay residents certainly use it.

Edited by P3F

2 hours ago, P3F said:

Some towns abhor their LIRR service so much that they give the residents the opportunity to drive to other branches' stations...

The town of Oyster Bay owns a parking lot next to Hicksville station... And Oyster Bay residents certainly use it.

The town of Oyster Bay just recently increased the cost of LIRR parking.

RIP to the LIRR North (except for the Port Washington, which is hanging on):

Suspended Posted: 03/07/2018  6:47PM

LIRR personnel have resolved the signal problem near Queens Village. However, there are fallen PSEGLI lines near Merillon Ave Station. Service remains suspended on the Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma, and Hempstead branches. LIRR is working with PSEGLI for estimated response times.

The LIRR is also working to restore service on one of two tracks through Merillon Ave. The second track will remain out of service as PSEGLI crews work to remove fallen wires. Expect significant delays when service is restored.

East-of-Hudson Metro-North is dead, and West-of-Hudson is on life support:

Mar 07, 2018  09:02:35 PM
Main and Bergen County and Port Jervis train service is suspended in both directions between Suffern and Waldwick due to trees down near Allendale.

Metro-North Service, Wednesday, March 7
Metro-North Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line and branch service is suspended until further notice due to multiple storm-related infrastructure issues impacting our ability to safely operate trains. Metro-North is assessing the situation at various locations in order to make repairs before service can resume. Please continue to check this website for updates. 

13 hours ago, paulrivera said:

East-of-Hudson Metro-North is dead, and West-of-Hudson is on life support:

Mar 07, 2018  09:02:35 PM
Main and Bergen County and Port Jervis train service is suspended in both directions between Suffern and Waldwick due to trees down near Allendale.

Metro-North Service, Wednesday, March 7
Metro-North Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line and branch service is suspended until further notice due to multiple storm-related infrastructure issues impacting our ability to safely operate trains. Metro-North is assessing the situation at various locations in order to make repairs before service can resume. Please continue to check this website for updates. 

I have been avoiding Metro-North.  I was tempted to take it yesterday morning when I missed two express buses, but let the shuttle bus pass.  I don't want to deal with that combined train BS.  They cut basically about half of their service and then they still have the audacity to charge peak fares. F-outta here with that. I think that's pretty ridiculous.  Then you get down to the station and they say one thing on the Metro-North app, but you're waiting 30 minutes for a train, which when it arrives is packed.  I can't justify dealing with that.  

Their service used to be stellar during storms. I've walked to the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations when there was ice everywhere and the trains ran right on time. It's only been in the last few years that they've started with this BS. Oh we have trees down.  Oh this and that... Any excuse to cut service.  It's BS.  It's like dealing with the electric companies up in Westchester.  Metro-North should be investigated as to why now in the last few years, every time there's a little snow on the ground, suddenly they have to yank 50% of the service. I'm not buying it.  My express bus yesterday morning ran just fine from Riverdale, and that was also the case this morning, and I'll be sticking with that today as well.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Sure, the Riverdales and Fordhams and Harlems of their territory only got a couple of inches of snow, but places like Poughkeepsie, Mount Kisco and Brewster did get over a foot.

Ever since 2010's winter storm and MN's 2013 problems in general, they're not going to take any chances. It didn't help that all three lines had separate issues at the exact same time, spreading response crews way too thin as a result.

31 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Sure, the Riverdales and Fordhams and Harlems of their territory only got a couple of inches of snow, but places like Poughkeepsie, Mount Kisco and Brewster did get over a foot.

Ever since 2010's winter storm and MN's 2013 problems in general, they're not going to take any chances. It didn't help that all three lines had separate issues at the exact same time, spreading response crews way too thin as a result.

As I said, Metro-North has run regular service in ice storms, and now suddenly anytime we get snow, they cut service by 50%.  You would think we've never had snow before. The whole thing is ridiculous. The fact of the matter is the (MTA) in general is ill equipped.  Signal problems galore.  We can't function as a city if our transportation system is going to come to grinding halt for every little storm.  

Riverdale gets more snow than the Fordhams or the Harlems because we are elevated AND right long the Hudson, so we get usually whatever Westchester gets as opposed to whatever Manhattan or parts of the Bronx get.  Nevertheless, my sidewalks were nice and clean and shoveled despite the snow.  Metro-North needs to get with the times.  

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As I said, Metro-North has run regular service in ice storms, and now suddenly anytime we get snow, they cut service by 50%.  You would think we've never had snow before. The whole thing is ridiculous. The fact of the matter is the (MTA) in general is ill equipped.  Signal problems galore.  We can't function as a city if our transportation system is going to come to grinding halt for every little storm.  

Riverdale gets more snow than the Fordhams or the Harlems because we are elevated AND right long the Hudson, so we get usually whatever Westchester gets as opposed to whatever Manhattan or parts of the Bronx get.  Nevertheless, my sidewalks were nice and clean and shoveled despite the snow.  Metro-North needs to get with the times.  

Just because your little slice of paradise is good, you have to take into account the system as a whole.  In both last Wednesday and the previous Friday's storms, it hit the fan big time. 

The first storm, there were trees down across the track all over the property, tracks washing out along the Hudson, and barges breaking loose washing up against the tracks.  

The second storm (last Wednesday) things weren't much better.  More trees down, power poles snapping like twig on the Harlem Line. etc...

In a perfect world, there would be endless supply of resources including trains and manpower.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  In both circumstances, trains couldn't get from point a to point b and as a result either could the manpower.  As an example, the first storm, as I was on my way along the Harlem, we were stranded in the White Plains area for hours.  Every time one tree was cleared up, two more fell.  Third rail was damaged.  Trains hit trees  (no, PTC would not have prevented it).  You can't just call a taxi or bus and stick them on the tracks, as day laborers can be called to pitch in for the clean up.  

When it was announced last week that they were going to run reduced service last Wednesday, I for one thought is was pre-mature with roads (and rails) being clear of the elements.  Unfortunately, things deteriorated rapidly in the afternoon.  In hindsight, it made is mildly easier getting people out of dodge in the evening.  Even with the best efforts, there were still numerous train crews stranded in Grand Central until the next day because of the weather conditions, as it wasn't even safe to run patrol trains.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:15 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Riverdale gets more snow than the Fordhams or the Harlems because we are elevated AND right long the Hudson,

Wha? Don't you think that's a bit of a hyperbole? Riverdale is just a few feet over a Wakefield or Woodlawn even in my neck of the woods were over 100 feet in elevation. When we get to 1000 feet plus we can start that convo. 

6 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Wha? Don't you think that's a bit of a hyperbole? Riverdale is just a few feet over a Wakefield or Woodlawn even in my neck of the woods were over 100 feet in elevation. When we get to 1000 feet plus we can start that convo. 

That's like saying that hurricane Sandy, which had a devastating impact on Riverdale had the same impact on Wakefield and Woodlawn (which simply wasn't the case).  Different neighborhoods, different areas. In addition to the elevation, there's Van Cortlandt Park which is the third largest park in NYC, so Woodlawn and Wakefield aren't as close as they may look on the map, nor are either of them near the Hudson.  

Next you'll be telling me that because Sheepshead Bay and Brooklyn Heights are in Brooklyn, they experience the same weather (they don't).  Hurricane Sandy had a devastating impact on my old neighborhood due to its location.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's like saying that hurricane Sandy, which had a devastating impact on Riverdale had the same impact on Wakefield and Woodlawn (which simply wasn't the case).  Different neighborhoods, different areas. In addition to the elevation, there's Van Cortlandt Park which is the third largest park in NYC, so Woodlawn and Wakefield aren't as close as they may look on the map.

You do understand there's a difference im speaking in the context of elevation relating to the temperature range and thus snow.  What does any of this mean? Is there a standard for devastation? What are you referring to? Flood, winds,down trees, power grid?  I'm talking elevation, Not storm track, just Riverdale is not at a high enough elevation to get more snow then other neighborhoods in the Borough nothing more or less I know you like to pivot.  And last time I checked Wakefield and Woodlawn are 10 min walk apart they share a Metro-North Station! I've walked the (2) to Woodlawn MN station a few times.

Edited by RailRunRob

3 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

You do understand there's a difference im speaking in the context of elevation relating to the temperature range and thus snow.  What does any of this mean? Is there a standard for devastation? What are you referring to? Flood, winds,down trees, power grid?  I'm talking elevation, Not storm track, just Riverdale is not at a high enough elevation to get more snow then other neighborhoods in the Borough nothing more or less I know you like to pivot.  And last time I checked Wakefield and Woodlawn are 10 min walk apart they share a Metro-North Station! I've walked the (2) to Woodlawn MN station a few times.

Yeah but they are not next to Riverdale, so it's irrelevant.  When I travel to those neighborhoods, I don't find the weather to be exactly the same, just as it isn't the same when I'm in Sheepshead Bay and other parts of Brooklyn.  

1 hour ago, Truckie said:

Just because your little slice of paradise is good, you have to take into account the system as a whole.  In both last Wednesday and the previous Friday's storms, it hit the fan big time. 

The first storm, there were trees down across the track all over the property, tracks washing out along the Hudson, and barges breaking loose washing up against the tracks.  

The second storm (last Wednesday) things weren't much better.  More trees down, power poles snapping like twig on the Harlem Line. etc...

In a perfect world, there would be endless supply of resources including trains and manpower.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  In both circumstances, trains couldn't get from point a to point b and as a result either could the manpower.  As an example, the first storm, as I was on my way along the Harlem, we were stranded in the White Plains area for hours.  Every time one tree was cleared up, two more fell.  Third rail was damaged.  Trains hit trees  (no, PTC would not have prevented it).  You can't just call a taxi or bus and stick them on the tracks, as day laborers can be called to pitch in for the clean up.  

When it was announced last week that they were going to run reduced service last Wednesday, I for one thought is was pre-mature with roads (and rails) being clear of the elements.  Unfortunately, things deteriorated rapidly in the afternoon.  In hindsight, it made is mildly easier getting people out of dodge in the evening.  Even with the best efforts, there were still numerous train crews stranded in Grand Central until the next day because of the weather conditions, as it wasn't even safe to run patrol trains.

My point is the trains used to run before in all sorts of weather just fine, and now suddenly they can't.   They've been pulling service for every storm.  I used to use Metro-North in such circumstances, but given their unreliability of late, I don't bother.  Not only do they cancel trains, they can't consistently say which trains will be pulled, so you check the app and it says one thing and then another when you're at the station.  

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah but they are not next to Riverdale, so it's irrelevant.  When I travel to those neighborhoods, I don't find the weather to be exactly the same, just as it isn't the same when I'm in Sheepshead Bay and other parts of Brooklyn.  

🤦‍♂️ Hey if you say so! But I am happy you're finding solace my old stomping grounds. Does my heart good you think so highly of it.

8 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

🤦‍♂️ Hey if you say so! But I am happy you're finding solace my old stomping grounds. Does my heart good you think so highly of it.

There's nothing to think "highly" about windy, snowy, hilly conditions. I've been in all three areas, and I don't find the conditions identical at all.  Each has their "thing" if you will.  For example, I've always found Wakefield to be much colder for some reason.