Reefed

ducman998r

well i know the R6-1 aint being reefed?!

and dont they usually scrap cars over at 207 or CI? why in jamaica, or its being held there be4 going to 207?

Taking out windows and rollsigns can be done at any of the facilities. Plus keep in mind that there are more R32 than R40 etc.

- A

yeah.. im in 207.. but theyve been sending ones from jamaica over to us. Everything.. I mean EVERYTHING goes into the dumpster. Weve been using different scrapyard contractors to take eerything... if you follow one of the trucks leaving... you will probably get lucky.

And no.. the R-6 isnt getting scrapped... just happened to be next to me

if anyone wants any specific pics.. let me know

Enviromental impact. You can't poison those fish with whatever chemicals may still be lingering. ;)

I would think that it would be for the safety of employees, so that anything that may he hazardous is wet down.

Damn,Damn,Damn!!!, why do the R32's have to go. Those are one of my favorite trains. Will be sad to see those go in the ocean.

Those cars are past the end of their shelf lives. I hate to break it to you, but they probably went 3-4 years too many.

Those cars are past the end of their shelf lives. I hate to break it to you, but they probably went 3-4 years too many.

The 32's did not go 3-4 years too many the actual car bodies are in great shape, They outperformed the younger 44's in MDBF in 2007. Unless your talking phase II 32's then maybe so but the phase I 32's can still go for another 5 to 10 years.

do they allow people to tour the Shops? if i so i might just do it

Unfortunately no... security is very strict. I cant even get my wife inside.. she has to wait out in the front

As for keeping employees healthy? Thats definately not the reason... ive been breathing in steel dust and whatever else is under these cars for years now. Theres no way to avoid it.

do they allow people to tour the Shops? if i so i might just do it

As Pablo said the Transit Museum does several tours, I've worked a couple...only one on tap right now is Corona Yd but it's the same day as the C/R exam so I won't be going...

If you want to go your best bet is to get a membership (especially if you're a student - it costs less), you'll get a discount on your admission to the tours, free museum admission all year, and you'll know the dates for the tours about 2-3 weeks before everyone else so it's worth it. But if you want to go on those trips you ALWAYS have to reserve early otherwise they sell out quick!

That's 207th not Jamaica

it says Jamiaca on first post mate

and im definetly a Member at TA Museum :D for about a yr till next feb when I renew...

I know tours allow u in but not "normal" entry...

but i didnt notice ducman998r was a car inspector, so now i get it~~

it says Jamiaca on first post mate

and im definetly a Member at TA Museum :D for about a yr till next feb when I renew...

I know tours allow u in but not "normal" entry...

but i didnt notice ducman998r was a car inspector, so now i get it~~

Trust me that is 207, I think what ducman meant is that the R32's were FROM Jamaica not that the pic was taken in Jamaica...

1300 is also a dead giveaway that car's been stored up there for a while now...

Tours allow you in and they show you a good deal, and if the shop personnel hosting are good (the ones from E180 and CI were EXCELLENT), they will go all out to give you a good time. They are aware they have plenty of photographers and give photo ops. They are also aware railfans go on these things so they will go into more detail than just basic knowledge and YOU CAN ASK THE SHOP FOLKS QUESTIONS most of the time they are more than happy to answer. But they do go the extra mile, it's not at all like Croton Harmon in terms of everything being "roped off", I won't give details but I'll just say that

However the #1 concern is ALWAYS safety, we all are responsible for that so you are allowed to do anything you want on those tours so long as you A) Stay with the group and :D It is not dangerous and does not consitute a security risk. And when you sign in you are given a temporary pass so it is legit, and the shop folks will usually show you the whole place except if it's a safety risk, so don't expect to walk any tracks with live third rails but that doesn't mean it's not a good experience to go

I would think that it would be for the safety of employees, so that anything that may he hazardous is wet down.

Since that would involve more employee contact than just loading them onto barges or flatbeds, it's hard to imagine that's the core reason.

Well, last time i checked, those R32's are still running, they aint gonna dump all those babies yet. Those shitty R40 slants are going first to sleep with the fishes. The R32's aint going down without a fight.

The 32's did not go 3-4 years too many the actual car bodies are in great shape, They outperformed the younger 44's in MDBF in 2007. Unless your talking phase II 32's then maybe so but the phase I 32's can still go for another 5 to 10 years.

God forbid. I know some love them, but even if their bodies could withstand a few more years, they simply are not maintained like later cars. Rust and peeling linoleum are just some of the issues. Nostalgia aside, they look terrible side by side with a R160. The R40 slants need to go as well, but they have their slants keeping them around as long as they have.

If we only had R160 slants... :cool:

Trust me that is 207, I think what ducman meant is that the R32's were FROM Jamaica not that the pic was taken in Jamaica...

1300 is also a dead giveaway that car's been stored up there for a while now...

Tours allow you in and they show you a good deal, and if the shop personnel hosting are good (the ones from E180 and CI were EXCELLENT), they will go all out to give you a good time. They are aware they have plenty of photographers and give photo ops. They are also aware railfans go on these things so they will go into more detail than just basic knowledge and YOU CAN ASK THE SHOP FOLKS QUESTIONS most of the time they are more than happy to answer. But they do go the extra mile, it's not at all like Croton Harmon in terms of everything being "roped off", I won't give details but I'll just say that

However the #1 concern is ALWAYS safety, we all are responsible for that so you are allowed to do anything you want on those tours so long as you A) Stay with the group and :) It is not dangerous and does not consitute a security risk. And when you sign in you are given a temporary pass so it is legit, and the shop folks will usually show you the whole place except if it's a safety risk, so don't expect to walk any tracks with live third rails but that doesn't mean it's not a good experience to go

They actually let you take photos at shop tours like Corona and Coney Island?

Archived