WTF is going on at CP??

QM1to6Ave

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If CP is becoming all express, Lord help them.  They need to train their drivers on learning the damn routes and looking at a schedule.  My QM2 to Whitestone was 10 minutes early on Saturday and the bus was packed. I'm guessing some people must've missed the previous one.  Luckily I walked over to the stop early since I was tracking it, otherwise, I would've been waiting an hour for the next one.  Coming back from shopping, the QM2 I was due to take skipped the entire section of Parsons Blvd and the Mitchell Gardens area.  I got on further up in Whitestone to get the next one, but I was pissed having to wait in the cold for an hour with my bag.  They also need to stop throwing people off of the bus at 6th and 36th. The weekend prior to the one that passed, I was given the boot at 6th and 36th and had to get on a QM6 going towards Lake Success just to go one stop. <_<

I filed a complaint noting all of the nonsense I've had to deal with.  Those QM2's run through Mitchell Gardens and go via Parsons specifically to garner more ridership, and yet you have drivers trying to skip that segment of the route.  

Honestly, I fell like the QM2 is just the worst route they have. While I still have problems with the QM20 it is much more reliable than the QM2. The QM4 used to be their best route, but now running out of Bailey it runs even better IMO. The only route that actually runs somewhat properly is their rush hour only routes. The whole depo is just a shit show when it comes to express route. The more off-peak service a route has the worse it is tbh. Every time I've tried to take the QM2 SPEXP (I'll admit it was only a couple of times), the bus didn't show up so the dispatcher selects another bus and turns it into the super express.

19 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Honestly, I fell like the QM2 is just the worst route they have. While I still have problems with the QM20 it is much more reliable than the QM2. The QM4 used to be their best route, but now running out of Bailey it runs even better IMO. The only route that actually runs somewhat properly is their rush hour only routes. The whole depo is just a shit show when it comes to express route. The more off-peak service a route has the worse it is tbh. Every time I've tried to take the QM2 SPEXP (I'll admit it was only a couple of times), the bus didn't show up so the dispatcher selects another bus and turns it into the super express.

The QM2 serves some of the most expensive parts of Northeast Queens outside of areas like Little Neck and Douglaston. The monied areas with the multi-million dollar houses in Malba in Whitestone near 14th Avenue and further east in Beechhurst... That's where the ridership really starts at.  Very few people get off or on around Linden Blvd and the next few stops after that. I suspect that those that board by Linden Blvd may drive there. I don't get the point of skipping Parsons Blvd and Mitchell Gardens. At best they save a few minutes, and Mitchell Gardens has plenty of co-op types that will use the bus and do use it.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:22 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The QM2 serves some of the most expensive parts of Northeast Queens outside of areas like Little Neck and Douglaston. The monied areas with the multi-million dollar houses in Malba in Whitestone near 14th Avenue and further east in Beechhurst... That's where the ridership really starts at.  Very few people get off or on around Linden Blvd and the next few stops after that. I suspect that those that board by Linden Blvd may drive there. I don't get the point of skipping Parsons Blvd and Mitchell Gardens. At best they save a few minutes, and Mitchell Gardens has plenty of co-op types that will use the bus and do use it.

Since I have to transfer to a local bus, either way, I'm usually flexible with which express bus I can take. However, chances are if I'm waiting at Linden or 36th st the QM20 is more likely to show up when it's supposed to over the QM2.

Today's story of more CP stuff started off with me trying to take the QM2 to Queens in the morning, but for once the bus came early instead of being 10-20 main late like on a normal day. But I was saved by the QM20 which luckily came right after. The QM20 took a nice little tour around LIC before taking the LIE and Van Wyck. Then in the evening a Manhattan-bound QM6 completely skipped me even though I was at bus stop waving him down. Luckily the next QM5 driver was awesome. Then for my final ride back to Queens, I almost missed the QM20 but the driver was nice enough to wait for me. he drove pretty smooth in the pickup and dropoff section, but during the express section, he essentially drove like a madman with his own personal route. using 2nd Av, QMT, LIE, BQE, and GCP to get to Queens. He essentially was driving at pretty much 60mph the entire time and arrived really early too which made up for the bumpy ride. 

TLDR:
The QM20 was an absolute life saver today. But the QM2 as always gave me trouble, and I was really pissed after the QM6 passed me. 

9 hours ago, IAlam said:

Today's story of more CP stuff started off with me trying to take the QM2 to Queens in the morning, but for once the bus came early instead of being 10-20 main late like on a normal day. But I was saved by the QM20 which luckily came right after. The QM20 took a nice little tour around LIC before taking the LIE and Van Wyck. Then in the evening a Manhattan-bound QM6 completely skipped me even though I was at bus stop waving him down. Luckily the next QM5 driver was awesome. Then for my final ride back to Queens, I almost missed the QM20 but the driver was nice enough to wait for me. he drove pretty smooth in the pickup and dropoff section, but during the express section, he essentially drove like a madman with his own personal route. using 2nd Av, QMT, LIE, BQE, and GCP to get to Queens. He essentially was driving at pretty much 60mph the entire time and arrived really early too which made up for the bumpy ride. 

TLDR:
The QM20 was an absolute life saver today. But the QM2 as always gave me trouble, and I was really pissed after the QM6 passed me. 

The QM2 coming early for once.... That must be a joke.  That bus is RARELY late when I take it. I once called myself being good and putting on BusTime for it.  I'm like oh I have time... The bus isn't due for another 10 minutes or so, so I can stop in Maison Kayser and get a few pastries before I walk over to the stop across the street.  Well before I knew it, the bus was almost at the stop. I had to run out of the café and over to the stop with no éclairs. <_< My rule with the QM2 now is arrive 10 minutes early for the bus or get on later, put BusTime on and be prepared to walk over to the stop early.

13 hours ago, IAlam said:

TLDR:

Were you trying to catch the 8:45am QM2 to Queens by any chance?  I think right now my favorite bus driver in CP drives that one but he ALWAYS leaves ahead of schedule.  Last pick he was running a QM32 that was supposed to leave 39th street at 4:35 and he wound up coming to 44th or 50th street at the same time buses that left at 4:30 were arriving.

I never mind if the bus drivers go off route to save time, though I wonder how much time it really saves.  It's definitely a pain to take the QBB to Van Dam street down to the LIE.  The drivers at CP really are something else though, especially compared to my old drivers at LaGuardia.  Most of the CP guys don't kneel the bus for passengers, run hot, or try and blow by stops during the late night hours when it's most critical to make sure you catch the bus so that you don't have to wait another hour. 

2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Were you trying to catch the 8:45am QM2 to Queens by any chance?  I think right now my favorite bus driver in CP drives that one but he ALWAYS leaves ahead of schedule.  Last pick he was running a QM32 that was supposed to leave 39th street at 4:35 and he wound up coming to 44th or 50th street at the same time buses that left at 4:30 were arriving.

I never mind if the bus drivers go off route to save time, though I wonder how much time it really saves.  It's definitely a pain to take the QBB to Van Dam street down to the LIE.  The drivers at CP really are something else though, especially compared to my old drivers at LaGuardia.  Most of the CP guys don't kneel the bus for passengers, run hot, or try and blow by stops during the late night hours when it's most critical to make sure you catch the bus so that you don't have to wait another hour. 

This!

2 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Yeah, and it's management that allows them to get away with such BS.

3 hours ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

No it was near 10 am but rn these CP buses are doing whatever the hell they want took the QM2 to Manhattan in the afternoon again off route to Manhattan and kicked everyone off at Hearld SQ. So it’s clear at this point driver just do what they want, management either doesn’t care or doesn’t exist. 

14 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

They still trying to convert college point to express only again?

Supposedly.

----

Since we're yacking about express bus service, I took the BxM11 yesterday morning for a tutoring session. The driver held at 99th street, told us he was early by three minutes, and had to wait, because if he didn't, management has a print out of what time buses leave stops (I'm guessing from BusTrek or BusTime) and they can verify everything and write you up. That got me to wondering if this is system wide or done by certain depots, because CP drivers are hot almost 99% of the time, even the nice ones.

I think only certain drivers really follow the schedules anyway, because on my way to the city with the BxM2 our bus was roughly 3 minutes early and she didn't wait at 230th and Broadway.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Supposedly.

----

Since we're yacking about express bus service, I took the BxM11 yesterday morning for a tutoring session. The driver held at 99th street, told us he was early by three minutes, and had to wait, because if he didn't, management has a print out of what time buses leave stops (I'm guessing from BusTrek or BusTime) and they can verify everything and write you up. That got me to wondering if this is system wide or done by certain depots, because CP drivers are hot almost 99% of the time, even the nice ones.

I think only certain drivers really follow the schedules anyway, because on my way to the city with the BxM2 our bus was roughly 3 minutes early and she didn't wait at 230th and Broadway.

A lot of B/O's run using only time point instead of using a schedule on a stop by stop basis. For others, they just leave the terminal at the specified time and just keep driving. 

On another note last Friday I took the QM3 to Jackson Heights, normally I expect the B/O's to skip that stop since no one ever uses it. But frankly, to my surprise, every B/O that I have ridden with has stopped there when I requested it.

I actually made an account here just to chime in on the bipolar nature of CP buses.  Sometimes they're great, sometimes they make you scratch your head.  Case in point...last Friday, the 4PM QM20 left the city nearly 10 minutes ahead of schedule.  Usually the bus drivers know if they're early, they can hold a few minutes until it's closer to the scheduled departure before heading back into Queens...but not this day.

Also, the Q34 Roosevelt Ave shuttle runs are run terribly.  There have been numerous occasions that the early morning runs start late or have just failed to run at all, leading to gaps in service at the popular 26th Ave stop.   Instead of the Q34 acting as a gap filler to get people to Flushing, there's been plenty of times the Q20A, Q44, and Q34 all show up within a couple minutes of each other and then nothing for a while.  Not sure what the hell is going on but CP sure doesn't seem to be interested in filling in missing runs.

11 hours ago, 7-express said:

I actually made an account here just to chime in on the bipolar nature of CP buses.  Sometimes they're great, sometimes they make you scratch your head.  Case in point...last Friday, the 4PM QM20 left the city nearly 10 minutes ahead of schedule.  Usually the bus drivers know if they're early, they can hold a few minutes until it's closer to the scheduled departure before heading back into Queens...but not this day.

Also, the Q34 Roosevelt Ave shuttle runs are run terribly.  There have been numerous occasions that the early morning runs start late or have just failed to run at all, leading to gaps in service at the popular 26th Ave stop.   Instead of the Q34 acting as a gap filler to get people to Flushing, there's been plenty of times the Q20A, Q44, and Q34 all show up within a couple minutes of each other and then nothing for a while.  Not sure what the hell is going on but CP sure doesn't seem to be interested in filling in missing runs.

What I want to know is does anyone file complaints and what are the elected officials doing to get that depot inline? What is going on there is absolutely disgusting. I mean that weekend where the QM2 skipped the entire portion of Parsons Blvd and I presume Mitchell Gardens, I was furious. It was maybe 12 degrees outside, and I had to wait an hour for the next bus with my bags because this guy didn't feel like going the correct way, and from what I hear and have seen, there are several drivers that skip that portion of the pick-up route when the (MTA) purposely had QM2's stop there on weekends to GAIN ridership.

So last night I took the QM2 out to Whitestone. On the way to Queens, the driver almost bypasses a stop along 6th. I think it was 6th and 55th. The old lady had to flag down the bus before he finally stopped. Then at Lexington and 59th, he arrives almost 10 minutes early, picks up and doesn't even wait. Three teenage looking girls are running for the bus with their bags, and one fell down and almost broke her iPhone. They eventually get the guy to stop, but when he does, he doesn't even kneel the bus or anything. I was rather disgusted to say the least.

Going back I had a decent driver who actually didn't throw us off of the bus at 6th and 36th. I don't understand why they give the QM2 almost 30 minutes to do a loop that can be done in about 15 minutes... 

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So last night I took the QM2 out to Whitestone. On the way to Queens, the driver almost bypasses a stop along 6th. I think it was 6th and 55th. The old lady had to flag down the bus before he finally stopped. Then at Lexington and 59th, he arrives almost 10 minutes early, picks up and doesn't even wait. Three teenage looking girls are running for the bus with their bags, and one fell down and almost broke her iPhone. They eventually get the guy to stop, but when he does, he doesn't even kneel the bus or anything. I was rather disgusted to say the least.

Going back I had a decent driver who actually didn't throw us off of the bus at 6th and 36th. I don't understand why they give the QM2 almost 30 minutes to do a loop that can be done in about 15 minutes... 

The last time I gt kicked off at 6th and 36th I asked the driver why to which he explained, I have to do another trip downtown because there's a missing bus. 

20 minutes ago, IAlam said:

The last time I gt kicked off at 6th and 36th I asked the driver why to which he explained, I have to do another trip downtown because there's a missing bus. 

Yeah right. The last time I was kicked off it was a Saturday. The guy immediately parked and laid over after putting me on that QM6.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:06 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

On Friday I was on the QM7 going back toward Fresh Meadows.  I guess there's construction at the Park Row/Ann street stop so they moved the bus stop up the block past Beekman Street.  Of course there is no notice on the Ann Street stop to alert passengers and the QM7 driver clearly sees a woman trying to flag him down at the stop and he just blows right past her.  

Somehow the woman must've sprinted down the street to catch this bus at the new stop (I have no idea how she caught the bus) and she must've said something to the BO who then said something back to her causing another passenger to break up the war of words.  The redeeming quality was he was one of the best drivers I've had and he got us to 188th Street in record time, but is it really such a big deal to let the woman on and then tell her for the future that the stop is down the street temporarily?  Is a little professional courtesy just too much to ask for?

54 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

On Friday I was on the QM7 going back toward Fresh Meadows.  I guess there's construction at the Park Row/Ann street stop so they moved the bus stop up the block past Beekman Street.  Of course there is no notice on the Ann Street stop to alert passengers and the QM7 driver clearly sees a woman trying to flag him down at the stop and he just blows right past her.  

Somehow the woman must've sprinted down the street to catch this bus at the new stop (I have no idea how she caught the bus) and she must've said something to the BO who then said something back to her causing another passenger to break up the war of words.  The redeeming quality was he was one of the best drivers I've had and he got us to 188th Street in record time, but is it really such a big deal to let the woman on and then tell her for the future that the stop is down the street temporarily?  Is a little professional courtesy just too much to ask for?

I'll say it again. If you have horrible management, the B/Os will do as they please. Just about every QM2 I've been on has been early, both to and from Queens. I heard that they had dispatchers out for a little while because of numerous complaints, but clearly it's business as usual. The other thing that is very annoying is the B/Os seem to be under the impression that they only have to make certain stops. On the QM2, if you don't get on at the first two or three stops, good luck getting the bus to stop for you. I've almost been bypassed on numerous occasions along 6th and got so fed up that I now get the bus at a handful of locations. A few drivers would at least wait at the last stop when early, but that doesn't happen anymore either.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:20 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Most of the really courteous B/O's that used to pick the QM1/5/6 runs no longer are on those runs, which is sad. Seems like a lot of turnover, even with some of the younger guys that theoretically don't have much seniority to pick the best runs. 

Yeah I've been seeing what I perceive to be a lot of young B/Os on express routes.  Either these guys started when they were 18 or maybe CP just has that many express runs?

49 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Yeah I've been seeing what I perceive to be a lot of young B/Os on express routes.  Either these guys started when they were 18 or maybe CP just has that many express runs?

Not really.  Some guys retire.  A LOT of guys are fired or quit and then you have the types that move on.  You'd be surprised, but unless you have seniority and can get runs that pay really well, a lot of these guys have "side hustles" as they like to call them.  (MTA) Bus supposedly doesn't pay as well as NYCT.  In fact there was a guy that used to work out of Yonkers. I had the guy once one evening going to the Upper West Side and back to Riverdale.  Well he remembered me some months later. I got on some local bus to make my way to the express bus since I had stuff with me and he's like this isn't an express bus.  Then I realized it was the same guy, so he had jumped ship and went over to NYCT. Additionally, when you're new you have to work pretty much where you're needed until you have enough seniority.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

All the drivers that I had did a double stop at the old and new stop. Seems they are going to do that until new signage goes up. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading this thread with interest, since I ride the local Q-64, which Baisley Park took over from College Point several years ago.   When it was first announced, like many other rider's, I was worried about how service might be affected, not to mention,  CP had just received a bunch of new Flyer's, and BP had older Orion's.   

I soon was very pleased with the change....IMHO, the BP operator's seemed much better trained...they were far more reliable on operating on schedule, and their driving seemed more professional in general.   There must have been a different working culture at Jamaica Buses than Queens Surface in the past...

Archived