Transit Electrical Helper Exam # 8606

gotransit

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the 20s as well but I'm not too worried because not everyone goes in the same class. Some people get put on hold for tickets / medical so you could be in the 50s and still be in the first class if people get put on hold. 

21 hours ago, Elfrinz said:

I'm in the 20s as well but I'm not too worried because not everyone goes in the same class. Some people get put on hold for tickets / medical so you could be in the 50s and still be in the first class if people get put on hold. 

How do you even get a list # ? Is it based on something or random? 

15 hours ago, shopwitvel said:

How do you even get a list # ? Is it based on something or random? 

It's on the upper right hand corner of the pre-screening letter you used on Tuesday .

1 minute ago, Soup said:

How do you even get a list # ? Is it based on something or random ?

Yeah , it's based on Experience & Education and the Safety Assessment . 

Edited by Soup

THE TEST

Your score will be determined by a competitive education and experience test. You will receive a score of 70 points for meeting the minimum experience and education requirements listed in the “How to Qualify” section above.

After you meet the minimum experience and education requirements listed in the “How to Qualify” section above, you will receive additional credit for additional years of experience beyond the minimum required experience, up to a maximum of 100 points, on the following basis:

10 points (for a total score of 80) for at least one but less than two years of additional full-time satisfactory experience as a helper in the electrical, electronic, or electromechanical fields in the maintenance, repair, testing, construction or installation of electrical equipment; or

20 points (for total score of 90) for at least two but less than three years of additional full-time satisfactory experience as a helper in the electrical, electronic, or electro-mechanical fields in the maintenance, repair, testing, construction or installation of electrical equipment; or

30 points (for a total score of 100) for three or more years of additional full-time satisfactory experience as a helper in the electrical, electronic, or electro-mechanical fields in the maintenance, repair, testing, construction or installation of electrical equipment.

1 hour ago, Soup said:

THE TEST

Your score will be determined by a competitive education and experience test. You will receive a score of 70 points for meeting the minimum experience and education requirements listed in the “How to Qualify” section above.

After you meet the minimum experience and education requirements listed in the “How to Qualify” section above, you will receive additional credit for additional years of experience beyond the minimum required experience, up to a maximum of 100 points, on the following basis:

10 points (for a total score of 80) for at least one but less than two years of additional full-time satisfactory experience as a helper in the electrical, electronic, or electromechanical fields in the maintenance, repair, testing, construction or installation of electrical equipment; or

20 points (for total score of 90) for at least two but less than three years of additional full-time satisfactory experience as a helper in the electrical, electronic, or electro-mechanical fields in the maintenance, repair, testing, construction or installation of electrical equipment; or

30 points (for a total score of 100) for three or more years of additional full-time satisfactory experience as a helper in the electrical, electronic, or electro-mechanical fields in the maintenance, repair, testing, construction or installation of electrical equipment.

Shit I must be a  “Genius” , my list number is somewhere between 1-10 lol  🤑 

I would think they are going to call us in for a medical and final processing very soon . The urinalysis is only good for 30 days. Doesn't make sense to have to give us another test seeing as that would cost more money . So it would be safe to assume within 30 days we should be finished with the initial hiring process . I also would like to know how many weeks vacation ( not that I want a vacation so soon , lol ) do we get ? I would imagine 2 weeks a year until we reach 5 years , I would like to know if we get 1 week if we are hired before the 6 month mark . 

29 minutes ago, Soup said:

I would think they are going to call us in for a medical and final processing very soon . The urinalysis is only good for 30 days. Doesn't make sense to have to give us another test seeing as that would cost more money . So it would be safe to assume within 30 days we should be finished with the initial hiring process . I also would like to know how many weeks vacation ( not that I want a vacation so soon , lol ) do we get ? I would imagine 2 weeks a year until we reach 5 years , I would like to know if we get 1 week if we are hired before the 6 month mark . 

U start off with a couple of days 2 or 3. After 1 year you get 2 weeks. You get Paid for your birthday , everytime you work on a holiday you get 1 extra paid day off. You can also bank your overtime . (Save overtime that you have worked and use the overtime hours you have saved to take days off) ex. If you have 8 hours of overtime in the bank you can use it to take a day or if you have 40 ot hours in the bank you can take a week. 👍🏼

Transit is hiring a lot of helpers. I’ve been in for a month. If you end up in Power opposed to Signals, you’ll either be in Brooklyn or Bronx. My paper said Signals but my class went to Power. The day or night shift is really up to the Gen. Superintendent. They’ll ask you preference but its not a guarantee. You won’t be going out in the field for several months because of the backup with training classes. If you are hired from a resume, you are a provisional (temporary) employee until you take the Transit Electrical Helper test given by the MTA and that list is established. Basically it means you are on probation until they establish your list. Permanent positions (people who took test and were called) have a one year probationary period. Any other questions you guys have, I’ll see if I can answer.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:56 AM, GerardL said:

Transit is hiring a lot of helpers. I’ve been in for a month. If you end up in Power opposed to Signals, you’ll either be in Brooklyn or Bronx. My paper said Signals but my class went to Power. The day or night shift is really up to the Gen. Superintendent. They’ll ask you preference but its not a guarantee. You won’t be going out in the field for several months because of the backup with training classes. If you are hired from a resume, you are a provisional (temporary) employee until you take the Transit Electrical Helper test given by the MTA and that list is established. Basically it means you are on probation until they establish your list. Permanent positions (people who took test and were called) have a one year probationary period. Any other questions you guys have, I’ll see if I can answer.

I seen they were trying to hire Power Cable Maintainers ( Provisional ) . Do you know if they called anyone for that title ? I applied for that position as well as Electrical Helper/Signals , but Power pays more money to start and they only called me for Elec. Helper . I'll take what I can get just to get in .  

3 hours ago, Soup said:

I seen they were trying to hire Power Cable Maintainers ( Provisional ) . Do you know if they called anyone for that title ? I applied for that position as well as Electrical Helper/Signals , but Power pays more money to start and they only called me for Elec. Helper . I'll take what I can get just to get in .  

I doubt it. Only way your learning this job is to have hands on. I know they need maintainers but coming off the street, not going to know how they operate and what they do. Every helper here wants to become a maintainer. $10+ more an hour.

12 minutes ago, Soup said:

I took a lil nap just now , woke up , and lo and behold, an email from Metro-North for Signal Trainee Position . They sent me an invitation to come test for the job ! 

🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑💰💰💰🙏🙏

16 minutes ago, Soup said:

I took a lil nap just now , woke up , and lo and behold, an email from Metro-North for Signal Trainee Position . They sent me an invitation to come test for the job ! 

Congrats but Metro North and not NYCT?

36 minutes ago, shopwitvel said:

Good stuff bro 💪 what date do you go next week?

Yeah I just got one as well . May 16 for the next step in processing , I think it's the medical and class is June 18th 

Edited by Soup