Transit workers call on cops to help kick homeless, drunks off trains

Via Garibaldi 8

On 12/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, CenSin said:

....Usually, homeless people distribute themselves throughout the train taking up one car each. Theoretically, 10 homeless people on a train could functionally keep an entire train out of service as it makes its revenue run.

One car per homeless person?? Nah, not quite bro....

I've been on enough trains where there are multiple homeless people per car & have done enough switching from car-to-car to try to evade it... No point in even emphasizing it, since it's that commonplace... As long as they have "their" ROW of seats, they got it made in the shade.... They are territorial per row of seating, not per an individual car.....

In any case, the homeless problem on the subways is just one of the reasons I stopped taking the (2) to Atlantic to catch that first LIRR train (assuming it's still 5:12am) in the morning.... It has been months since I've done the former & almost 2 months since I've done the latter.... The aroma of Black ice (the car freshener) smells much better than someone of which a bar of soap with water hasn't graced the confines of their person since the dawn of the new millennium..... Enough to choke a god damn horse... And you get people that'll still sit in those cars with that stench - As long as they got their seat; SMFH.... I'm good.

I feel for you all that have to put up with the increasing amt. of homeless ppl. on the subways 5+ days a week....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

One car per homeless person?? Nah, not quite bro....

I've been on enough trains where there are multiple homeless people per car & have done enough switching from car-to-car to try to evade it... No point in even emphasizing it, since it's that commonplace... As long as they have "their" ROW of seats, they got it made in the shade.... They are territorial per row of seating, not per an individual car.....

In any case, the homeless problem on the subways is just one of the reasons I stopped taking the (2) to Atlantic to catch that first LIRR train (assuming it's still 5:12am) in the morning.... It has been months since I've done the former & almost 2 months since I've done the latter.... The aroma of Black ice (the car freshener) smells much better than someone of which a bar of soap with water hasn't graced the confines of their person since the dawn of the new millennium..... Enough to choke a god damn horse... And you get people that'll still sit in those cars with that stench - As long as they got their seat; SMFH.... I'm good.

I feel for you all that have to put up with the increasing amt. of homeless ppl. on the subways 5+ days a week....

A family member and I recently took the (5) on a Sunday afternoon from Grand Central to Atlantic Avenue. The first car we got into had two homeless people, and smelled awful. It was too late to switch cars, so we had to deal with the stench until Union Square. The next car had one homeless person, and another guy who had a big bag of trash, so it also reeked. It wasn't until Brooklyn Bridge that we were able to sit down in a car that didn't smell awful.

After we got off at Atlantic Avenue, she said that we should have taken the (S) to the (Q) instead of the dump train.

PD gets called to deal with homeless.
PD tells them to get off the train. They refuse.

PD tells them either jail or hospital. They choose hospital.

PD calls EMS.

EMS takes to hospital, tying up EMS for utter horseshit.

Person takes up space at ER, gets a hot meal, and is discharged since there is no medical condition.

Person goes back to street, and train.

Repeat until the end of the world. 

There's only so much we can do on our end, since they have the right to be on the train since there is no time limit listed on how long a customer is allowed to be in the system (at least that's how the courts saw it).

On 11/1/2018 at 11:04 PM, P3F said:

A family member and I recently took the (5) on a Sunday afternoon from Grand Central to Atlantic Avenue. The first car we got into had two homeless people, and smelled awful. It was too late to switch cars, so we had to deal with the stench until Union Square. The next car had one homeless person, and another guy who had a big bag of trash, so it also reeked. It wasn't until Brooklyn Bridge that we were able to sit down in a car that didn't smell awful.

After we got off at Atlantic Avenue, she said that we should have taken the (S) to the (Q) instead of the dump train.

lol...  I've been lucky of late in that the trains have been too crowded to accommodate homeless people also.

14 hours ago, mediccjh said:

PD calls EMS.

Person takes up space at ER, gets a hot meal, and is discharged since there is no medical condition.

There's only so much we can do on our end, since they have the right to be on the train since there is no time limit listed on how long a customer is allowed to be in the system (at least that's how the courts saw it).

The real problem is many of them don't want to go to the shelters because in all likelihood they would never last with those who are big-time bullies who would beat the crap out of them for even the slightest mistake.  That in my view is part of the problem on this.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:04 PM, P3F said:

Why didn’t you just go through the doors to the next car?

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

The real problem is many of them don't want to go to the shelters because in all likelihood they would never last with those who are big-time bullies who would beat the crap out of them for even the slightest mistake.  That in my view is part of the problem on this.

I got a family member (by marriage) who lives in a shelter. All he ever complains about there - when I see him - is about there being no in and out and trading his shoes for a blanket. Says it robs him of his dignity. (We’ll just ignore that he’s got a PhD in theater arts and thinks every job in this actors town is beneath him.)

28 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Why didn’t you just go through the doors to the next car?

It's just not something that crossed our minds, I guess. We were tired after a long bus trip and had various luggage, so it wouldn't have seemed to be a great idea at the time.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

I got a family member (by marriage) who lives in a shelter. All he ever complains about there - when I see him - is about there being no in and out and trading his shoes for a blanket. Says it robs him of his dignity. (We’ll just ignore that he’s got a PhD in theater arts and thinks every job in this actors town is beneath him.)

LMAO... Listen I've done all sorts of jobs when I was in high school and college (granted mostly office jobs doing things like data entry or temp jobs, but that's how you build your skills and get experience when you first start out).  I ALWAYS had money in my pocket during the summer so I didn't have to ask mommy or daddy for spending money.  It's made me a more rounded individual.  I can see being picky if you have enough money coming in to pay your bills and have money saved and such, but being picky and you're living in a shelter... Yeah, he may want to re-think that one... 

I have to admit I lost it last week.  I was walking to the Bryant Park subway station to refill my Metrocard, and here's this guy on the steps going down asking people for money, so of course he immediately sees me and asks, so I asked him do you have money you can give me?  He's like no.  So then I said to him do I look like I'm an idiot?  You don't think I work hard for my money?!?? I told him I was tired of people like him asking me for money every damn time I turned around and said a few other things too that pissed him off.  By the time I came back up from reloading my Metrocards, the guy didn't dare say another word. lol It actually felt good to unload if you will. I just get sick of it.  It's like I want to go and commute and be left alone... No one asking me for money (no one asks you for food anymore - I used to be willing to give food - now I don't give anything anymore).

On 1/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LMAO... Listen I've done all sorts of jobs when I was in high school and college (granted mostly office jobs doing things like data entry or temp jobs, but that's how you build your skills and get experience when you first start out).  I ALWAYS had money in my pocket during the summer so I didn't have to ask mommy or daddy for spending money.  It's made me a more rounded individual.  I can see being picky if you have enough money coming in to pay your bills and have money saved and such, but being picky and you're living in a shelter... Yeah, he may want to re-think that one... 

I have to admit I lost it last week.  I was walking to the Bryant Park subway station to refill my Metrocard, and here's this guy on the steps going down asking people for money, so of course he immediately sees me and asks, so I asked him do you have money you can give me?  He's like no.  So then I said to him do I look like I'm an idiot?  You don't think I work hard for my money?!?? I told him I was tired of people like him asking me for money every damn time I turned around and said a few other things too that pissed him off.  By the time I came back up from reloading my Metrocards, the guy didn't dare say another word. lol It actually felt good to unload if you will. I just get sick of it.  It's like I want to go and commute and be left alone... No one asking me for money (no one asks you for food anymore - I used to be willing to give food - now I don't give anything anymore).

I remember one time, I had a few oranges in a plastic bag and I was running out of the Hunter College station because I had a tight connection with the BxM1. Some homeless guy has this whole little speech, but I run by him to get out of the station, and then I hear the word "food", so I slammed my feet, turned around, and tossed him the bag of oranges, which he thanked me for.

But yeah, as I work more and more hours, I just get more annoyed with people asking for money in general (not just homeless, but acquaintances/coworkers too). Like damn, how about you work a few more hours to get that money instead of asking me for it? For the ones that truly did lose their jobs, or they can't find enough work/hours at their current job, I feel sorry for, but unfortunately there's too many scammers & hustlers out there.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I remember one time, I had a few oranges in a plastic bag and I was running out of the Hunter College station because I had a tight connection with the BxM1. Some homeless guy has this whole little speech, but I run by him to get out of the station, and then I hear the word "food", so I slammed my feet, turned around, and tossed him the bag of oranges, which he thanked me for.

But yeah, as I work more and more hours, I just get more annoyed with people asking for money in general (not just homeless, but acquaintances/coworkers too). Like damn, how about you work a few more hours to get that money instead of asking me for it? For the ones that truly did lose their jobs, or they can't find enough work/hours at their current job, I feel sorry for, but unfortunately there's too many scammers & hustlers out there.

There seems to be three camps here:

1. The extremely wary: I would rather not be be tricked into giving money to a scammer, so I will not give money to anyone thereby avoiding such a possibility even if legitimately hungry people are worse off.
  2. The capitalist: I would rather not feed the destitute. They lost the game of life and should just “sign out” so more successful people can continue with their normal lives.
  3. The generous: I would rather be scammed than leave some people hungry (or without a drink).

On 1/14/2018 at 3:07 AM, mediccjh said:

PD calls EMS.

Couldn't have said it better myself! 

14 hours ago, CenSin said:

1. The extremely wary: I would rather not be be tricked into giving money to a scammer, so I will not give money to anyone thereby avoiding such a possibility even if legitimately hungry people are worse off.
  2. The capitalist: I would rather not feed the destitute. They lost the game of life and should just “sign out” so more successful people can continue with their normal lives.
  3. The generous: I would rather be scammed than leave some people hungry (or without a drink).

1. It used to be that you occasionally had someone enter the train with a sob story. Now it's a daily occurrence and the people begging become downright rude and demanding.  It's MY money and you are NOT entitled to it.  Freaking nerve... On top of that we already pay massive taxes as it is in this city.  Let the City take care of these people that we're already paying for and let de Blasio do his job for once. 

2.  Giving these people just enables them to continue with their BS.  There are services for these people and they are being expanded.

3.  These people need to wisen up and stop giving. For those that are truly destitute, it's a shame, but it has to stop somewhere because the more you give the more people have their hand out expecting and demanding.  I said it in another post, but everywhere you go now, people have their hand out expecting money.  You go to a café, and the barista expects a tip just for giving you your espresso or macchiato.  I used to never tip for counter service, but now I do here and there since my barista is exceptional and does a good job, but I'm not tipping just because.  You're paid to do a job...  I think the whole thing is getting out of control.  

31 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

1. It used to be that you occasionally had someone enter the train with a sob story. Now it's a daily occurrence and the people begging become downright rude and demanding.  It's MY money and you are NOT entitled to it.  Freaking nerve... On top of that we already pay massive taxes as it is in this city.  Let the City take care of these people that we're already paying for and let de Blasio do his job for once. 

Lol. There was a dude at Jay Street selling candy, and asking every single person if they would buy his candy (I forgot what exactly it was). He then decides to approach me with a sobby face after he asks almost everyone (there was a hispanic dude to the left of me who evaded him, lol). I'm like no, and then he starts asking me "Where are you going at this time without money" (it was even 8 PM, so calm down buddy), before pulling the race card on me, like "Oh, so you won't give me money just because I'm black", before finally topping it off with "That ain't right, that ain't right. It's much better to give". Like don't pull the race card when all the other people around who were black wouldn't even buy your dumb candy. Dude then asked the hispanic dude next to him if he can buy (which didn't happen). Like leave the dude alone, he trying to support his family and whatnot, smh.

Another time (at Jay Street), I was buying some cough drops by the newsstand because I had a sore throat (I was a little under the weather), and then from who knows where (because I didn't see anyone who resembled a panhandler), while I'm buying the drops, some dude was shaking some stupid cup with change in my face, and I just stood there trying not to punch the cup. The guy behind the stand already saw that coming, so he was like "hey, ask after I'm finished". He left after that.

The usual stories (besides the basketball stories) are the "I'm disabled and cannot work", "Our family needs this to get x meal or x this or whatever". On the (F) , there's this guy who apparently has a six year old daughter named Genesis who he has to support and whatnot. Then there are those who bring their children onto the train and beg for money (not very common...yet). 

4 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Lol. There was a dude at Jay Street selling candy, and asking every single person if they would buy his candy (I forgot what exactly it was). He then decides to approach me with a sobby face after he asks almost everyone (there was a hispanic dude to the left of me who evaded him, lol). I'm like no, and then he starts asking me "Where are you going at this time without money" (it was even 8 PM, so calm down buddy), before pulling the race card on me, like "Oh, so you won't give me money just because I'm black", before finally topping it off with "That ain't right, that ain't right. It's much better to give". Like don't pull the race card when all the other people around who were black wouldn't even buy your dumb candy. Dude then asked the hispanic dude next to him if he can buy (which didn't happen). Like leave the dude alone, he trying to support his family and whatnot, smh.

Another time (at Jay Street), I was buying some cough drops by the newsstand because I had a sore throat (I was a little under the weather), and then from who knows where (because I didn't see anyone who resembled a panhandler), while I'm buying the drops, some dude was shaking some stupid cup with change in my face, and I just stood there trying not to punch the cup. The guy behind the stand already saw that coming, so he was like "hey, ask after I'm finished". He left after that.

The usual stories (besides the basketball stories) are the "I'm disabled and cannot work", "Our family needs this to get x meal or x this or whatever". On the (F) , there's this guy who apparently has a six year old daughter named Genesis who he has to support and whatnot. Then there are those who bring their children onto the train and beg for money (not very common...yet). 

What I hate is how the subways have become a spectacle for people to do all sorts of weird $hit.  Like those morons that go around with the no pants thing.  Seriously, the subway is for going from point A to point B, not playing $hitty music and demanding that I give you money afterwards, panhandling, dancing (again for money) or anything else.  All of this in my opinion is leading to further delays in service.  People holding the doors constantly as the workers try to close them so they can slam the car at the last minute and shake you down for money.  This is kind of nonsense that de Blasio needs to be addressing and having more undercover cops patrol to get rid of.   

Dude on the (1) got on at Chambers street dressed in full on 2000s hip hop: avirex, Timbs, chains - the whole 9.

looked like he coulda been in a Terror Squad or Bad Boy video.

goes car to car asking for loot then gets to mine (2nd car) mad as hell about getting nothing. Steps to me:

”Bruh, I know you’re probably the only brotha on this train that’ll help a brotha down on his luck out.”

I said “you right.” Reached in my pocket, pulled out my phone and showed him how to get to EZ Pawn on 14th St.

he was mad, but the car laughed.

28 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Dude on the (1) got on at Chambers street dressed in full on 2000s hip hop: avirex, Timbs, chains - the whole 9.

goes car to car asking for loot then gets to mine (2nd car) mad as hell about getting nothing. Steps to me:

”Bruh, I know you’re probably the only brotha on this train that’ll help a brotha down on his luck out.”

I said “you right.” Reached in my pocket, pulled out my phone and showed him how to get to EZ Pawn on 14th St.

LMAO... I rarely witness panhandling on the (1) train, and when I do it is usually from say Times Square up to around 72nd or 96th.  What has been surprising though is seeing homeless people on the train when boarding at say 231st or at 242nd.   I've had to dodge a few cars in fact, and of course others do too making the trains unnecessarily packed.  That's the other thing that is becoming annoying. You now have people that beg, have no shame in doing so and expect you to give as if you are obligated to take care of them.  I don't know what is going on, but it is disturbing... Not the panhandling, but how people are going about it now, so nonchalant and casual as if it's perfectly normal.  It's like these people have no pride, no anything.  

On 1/11/2018 at 9:55 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Can't say I blame you. I still do use the subway, but I try to limit my use.  The biggest issue for me when I've had to use it has been mainly mentally disturbed people. I don't dare sit on those trains and don't touch anything.  Lack of cleaning and overrun with homeless people.

I remember this one time I was on my way home from school (even though there was a summer program my High School offered to freshmen's). I was on the (J) (R32 by the way) with a friend of mine and this drunk girl was dancing on the poles and saying just a bunch of random shit. Me, my friend, and the T/O were just like ".............." Then the T/O said something I can't remember and from there I just continued with my commute home.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I started High School and I'm taking my finals this week lol. Anyway's you're right, Having money in your pocket is a good thing. Despite having to ask my parents from time to time (or if i'm just doing them a favor) I have a coffee jar at home which I use to store money and when that thing gets full, I'm gonna get another one (good thing I don't have to pay bills yet). I usually see those people with their cups asking for money and I usually Ignore them, though this one guy asked me for money while I was waiting for the (E) at Forest Hills one morning (think it was a week ago). I told him I didn't have Any change when CLEARLY I had money in my pocket, but being asked for money or asking for money trigger's me (especially with someone I don't trust or don't know) 

23 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That reminds me of this one weekend, I was out of town on a school trip at Yale University (in which only 11 people went including me, it was during the week of the R211 mockup and I had to miss my sister's birthday) This one homeless dude on the campus asked me for money 3 times saying that he couldn't find a job (which was BS in my opinion and a few other people's opinion). I had to tell him THREE TIMES that I was tight on money and that I couldn't spare anything, good thing I didn't

21 hours ago, CenSin said:

I've been tricked into group 3 a few times. I agree with group 2 (no denial there) And I guess I could classify myself in group 1 (part of me feel's bad for these people but I must fend for myself and help out my family)

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

2.  Giving these people just enables them to continue with their BS.  There are services for these people and they are being expanded.

3.  These people need to wisen up and stop giving. For those that are truly destitute, it's a shame, but it has to stop somewhere because the more you give the more people have their hand out expecting and demanding.  I said it in another post, but everywhere you go now, people have their hand out expecting money.  You go to a café, and the barista expects a tip just for giving you your espresso or macchiato.  I used to never tip for counter service, but now I do here and there since my barista is exceptional and does a good job, but I'm not tipping just because.  You're paid to do a job...  I think the whole thing is getting out of control.  

STRONG UPVOTE HERE. @Via Garibaldi 8 I'm with you on this one 1000%

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The race card is useless to me (coming from a family of mostly Brazillians) To Be Honest, you're not gonna gain anything out of pulling the race card, like who cares what race or nationality you are we're ALL just trying to get from point A to point B. and it's funny how your stories all happened at Jay Street whenever I pass there (which is only on certain occasions - mainly whenever I have an event to attend in Downtown Brooklyn) I don't see any homeless around, just a conveniently wide platform (except for the (R)

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I hate is how the subways have become a spectacle for people to do all sorts of weird $hit.  Like those morons that go around with the no pants thing.  Seriously, the subway is for going from point A to point B, not playing $hitty music and demanding that I give you money afterwards, panhandling, dancing (again for money) or anything else.  All of this in my opinion is leading to further delays in service.  People holding the doors constantly as the workers try to close them so they can slam the car at the last minute and shake you down for money.  This is kind of nonsense that de Blasio needs to be addressing and having more undercover cops patrol to get rid of.   

I wish I could say this is simple but with a corrupted leadership that we have, it's not. Enforce Police presence in EVERY STATION. Amount of cops could depend on ridership levels

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LMAO... I rarely witness panhandling on the (1) train, and when I do it is usually from say Times Square up to around 72nd or 96th.  What has been surprising though is seeing homeless people on the train when boarding at say 231st or at 242nd.   I've had to dodge a few cars in fact, and of course others do too making the trains unnecessarily packed.  That's the other thing that is becoming annoying. You now have people that beg, have no shame in doing so and expect you to give as if you are obligated to take care of them.  I don't know what is going on, but it is disturbing... Not the panhandling, but how people are going about it now, so nonchalant and casual as if it's perfectly normal.  It's like these people have no pride, no anything.  

Which is really sad to be honest. I know because this one time, I was on the (E) headed to Forest Hills to transfer to the (M)/(R) and there was this one homeless lady whom did not have a shirt on (to say nothing for a bra), she looked like she did not care and just wanted money (like most homeless people), to make matters worse, Forest Hills was SCORCHING in the middle of fall and I was wearing a sweater, I jumped into the (R) and continued my trip while getting away from the woman. Another time on the (M) , the train arrived to Forest Hills from the relay and the minute I step into one of the cars, a homeless man Stank up the whole whole car. It was so bad that I had to move to the next car (and a majority of these stories were on my way home from school). And this morning I got on the (E) on my way to school and there was 2 homeless dude's sleeping on the train (it just feels disturbing to watch). Worst of all, the station I live closest to (63 Drive-Rego Park) has i think 3 homeless people there. One dude sleeps in the same bench and every morning I have to maneuver my way around him cause he asks people for coffee, some change, and even a few newspapers. I was only generous to him twice and ONLY twice. but yeah, the subway has gotten more homeless then from what I remember as a kid. For some of these people I feel bad for these people but the rest can all just go **** themselves, yup. I love riding the subway and I love being a railfan. but homelessness just ruins the experience (at least it doesn't bother me that much like most New Yorkers here would probably say)

Welp, that was a Long post. Now I must get back to finishing my homework and studying for my finals tomorrow and friday (I don't wanna fail at all)

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

It shows how far the city has come that this didn't result in someone in the hospital or worse. (We ain't all the way there yet, but that used to be a near-certain thing.)

On 1/16/2018 at 9:11 PM, CenSin said:

I happily consider myself a part of group 3. Obviously this isn't always possible, but I always try to give to homeless people if I've got money and I'm not going to miss it. If it's a scam, then I've lost a couple of bucks... and if not, someone was able to buy food or drink with that money.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

It shows how far the city has come that this didn't result in someone in the hospital or worse. (We ain't all the way there yet, but that used to be a near-certain thing.)

Maybe, but I’m a pretty intimidating looking dude. Don’t let my avatar fool you, lol.

11 hours ago, Deucey said:

Ahhh this was sooo funny. 

I feel bad for the people who are legit homeless and I think the city needs to do more for those people. I feel bad sometimes and I may spare a little something here and there but with all these spammers you never know who’s legit. I definitely don’t ever give to those kids who sell the box of fruit snacks saying it’s to support their basketball team. I can’t even begin to count the amount of times I’ve heard that same story, like come on at least try to change it up and say it’s for a football or soccer team. I still probably wouldn’t give lol but at least sound believable. Nope it’s the same old “basketball” team over and over again. The (E) in my experience is on of the worst when it comes to homeless and the panhandling. There has been times where I’ve seen a homeless person in several cars of a set that I literally call that line the “Homeless Express”. I agree that for the safety of MTA employees their should be police stationed at terminals to help remove the homeless out the trains. It’s crazy how some of these homeless people catch attitudes just because they are told to leave. 

21 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Word up i agree.....Its got to the point where i cant use any line w/o someone doing something or asking for money..Just the other day on my (3) the train went from utica to nevins and had to look away 3 candy sellers 1 homeless....Well the no pants thang i dont mind saw plenty of womens w/o none...:D

Archived