Transit workers call on cops to help kick homeless, drunks off trains

Via Garibaldi 8

8 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Word up i agree.....Its got to the point where i cant use any line w/o someone doing something or asking for money..Just the other day on my (3) the train went from utica to nevins and had to look away 3 candy sellers 1 homeless....Well the no pants thang i dont mind saw plenty of womens w/o none...:D

There was a guy last night walking up the down the platform at Grand Central asking EVERYONE for money. I called myself dodging him the first time thinking he boarded a train, but then he made a second round. I'm like WTF is with this guy? He definitely looked like a junkie who was in need of a fix.  The (6) was packed yet again as were the (4) and (5) trains, so I had to let about five trains pass before I could get on one without being smashed in like a sardine can (i gave up on the (6) I boarded a (5) since two came back-to-back), so he certainly had plenty of people to ask.  I was just amazed that he made it back there so quickly seeing how insanely packed the platform was.  As for the no pants thing, a lot of the women I see aren't exactly in shape, so it isn't all that appealing to see their underwear to be frank. :lol:

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Word up i agree.....Its got to the point where i cant use any line w/o someone doing something or asking for money..Just the other day on my (3) the train went from utica to nevins and had to look away 3 candy sellers 1 homeless....Well the no pants thang i dont mind saw plenty of womens w/o none...:D

The only line that might be free from the homeless and the panhandling might be the Rockaway Park (S) :D 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You would think so, but you have plenty of them now on the (S) going back and forth from Times Square to Grand Central, so I'd say anything is possible.

How is the Times Square–Grand Central shuttle even comparable to the Rockaway Park Shuttle?

Just now, CenSin said:

How is the Times Square–Grand Central shuttle even comparable to the Rockaway Park Shuttle?

They're both shuttles. I don't see how either would make sense to ride for panhandling. That was my point. Yes, the Times Square-Grand Central may receive more people, but none of them give anything.  They're off in less than 5 minutes, and if you're smart enough, you can likely avoid whatever cars they are in.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're both shuttles. I don't see how either would make sense to ride for panhandling. That was my point. Yes, the Times Square-Grand Central may receive more people, but none of them give anything.  They're off in less than 5 minutes, and if you're smart enough, you can likely avoid whatever cars they are in.

On the Times Square shuttle, they tend to sit in a corner and scream for money without actually going anywhere for hours.

Other than during the summer months, the Rockaway Park shuttle has such low ridership that any homeless person clueless enough to try and panhandle on it would have barely any listeners at all.

Just now, P3F said:

On the Times Square shuttle, they tend to sit in a corner and scream for money without actually going anywhere for hours.

Other than during the summer months, the Rockaway Park shuttle has such low ridership that any homeless person clueless enough to try and panhandle on it would have barely any listeners at all.

The funny thing is, I've only started seeing them on the Crosstown shuttle in the last few years. Prior to that you had those obnoxious guys singing early in the morning. They would literally wait until the doors closed, then come into the car and block the door so people couldn't leave while they belt out noise at the top of their lungs. The ones that ride the shuttle now seem much more aggressive and obvious, so when I see them, I go to another car. lol 

I'm guessing that with the Rockaway shuttle being outside that maybe that's another deterring factor.  

On 1/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, Wallyhorse said:

The real problem is many of them don't want to go to the shelters because in all likelihood they would never last with those who are big-time bullies who would beat the crap out of them for even the slightest mistake.  That in my view is part of the problem on this.

As a person who has actually been in the shelter system, let me tell you, the "bullies" are the LAST of the worries. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't see

That just means you need to go out and experience it for yourself. A thought experiment. What would be the logistics and ultimate results of panhandling on the two shuttles?

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

And obviously you would know that WAY more than most of us.

The whole system is messed up. You can't even take your belongings with you without someone "losing" you're things. Then, HRA is a frigging mess of an organization that makes things harder. Ironic considering they want efficiency and they do everything in their power to be the opposite. Not even my opinion either. When I was there to get a One Shot Deal for my soon-to-be previous apartment, me and my worker literally spoke about that fact for 30 minutes while her computer took that amount of time to load. 

Then, there's the capacity issue. There's only enough shelter space for, maybe, a third if all the homeless in this city. So even if they did go and get help, what guarantee is there that there will be room? And then for the programs to help you get back on your feet, you need things like your Passport, birth certificate, proof of previous residence, eviction, or work. A lot of which people who've been on the streets for years, hell even those who have not, wouldn't have due to whatever reason. 

It's frustrating as hell to go through the shelter system. If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't. I like freedom. And if I had to struggle a bit more to keep that freedom, so be it. I was only able to get it because I worked for the same security company as the guards. So I was able to do whatever I wanted. Come and go as I pleased without a pass to stay out after curfew. And don't even get me started on the sorry excuse for food they serve at the non-cooking facilities.

Most ain't that lucky. 

14 hours ago, CenSin said:

That just means you need to go out and experience it for yourself. A thought experiment. What would be the logistics and ultimate results of panhandling on the two shuttles?

Not really.  There is so much panhandling now everywhere that I see at least two to three panhandlers almost every day, sometimes more, sometimes the regulars, sometimes new people.  The people begging don't give a damn. They will set up anywhere they can and beg.  Some are more strategic than others, and some just don't care and just beg everyone that they see, and all that they see is a money sign.  That's what is really sad. The minute you say no, it's on to the next sucker to beg them for money.  Now there are people that legitimately have a need, but we have so many people out here now hustling for whatever reason that you can't distinguish who is begging for what and why.  In short we have several issues that the City needs to start tackling:

-Get people with mental issues and drug abusers off of the streets and into places where they can be treated.  A lot of the beggars can be described as either one or the other, or a combination of both.

-People coming here from other states because of New York City's liberal housing policies. This is what irks me the most.  It sops up monetary resources for true New Yorkers that are suffering because all you have to do is show up here without shelter from California or wherever the hell these people are coming from, and the city is legally required to house you, even if you don't have a residence here, so that just encourages more people to come here, burdening our shelters and crowding our streets with more beggars.  Let the other states deal with their own housing problems.  This is another reason why I've become adamant about not giving anything because if you have a heart and give, well here's more people with their hand out, so it never ends.

-The people that are homeless but too lazy to work and make a way for themselves, and expect society to take care of them.  Speaking of the shuttle, there was a couple on the Times Square shuttle a while back.  The guy just sat there and begged the whole time, and then got angry when no one gave, talking about well what would you do if your girlfriend was pregnant? I felt like telling him I'd get up off of my @ss and get a job, that's what I would do, and if had to work several jobs to support my pregnant girlfriend, then so be it.  These are the types of people that are making it horrible for those are truly homeless and down on their luck.  Really a shame too.

23 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Logically speaking I don't see the sense in panhandling on the Times Square Shuttle, either, but IMHO the main distinction between the two services is that the Times Square Shuttle is right under one of the busiest tourist districts in the city, and the Rockaway Park Shuttle is somewhere in the middle of bumf**k nowhere. Even in the peak of the summer season, I'd be surprised if it got as much ridership as the Times Square Shuttle does.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:31 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And why is that?

Mainly due it’s low ridership. The Rockaway Park (S) serves some of the least used stations in the entire systems. I think all of it’s stations rank past 410 if I’m not mistaken. During the summers when the line is made full length and extended to Rockaway Blvd, maybe you could see a panhandler just because of the beach crowd, but I really don’t know about that one.

Archived