A Division vs. B Division- What's your pick?

eaglestar

Hello all,

I apologize if this has already been discussed ad-naseum, but nonetheless...

Which do you think is the "superior" division? Obviously, both have their merits and downfalls, and both do a heck of a job of moving NYC, but which has better lines? Rolling stock? Scenery? History? 

Additionally, just for kicks, which do you figure would be a better division to work? I'm eager to hear the consensus. 

I would say the B division except for the lack of new technology (i.e. punch boxes, useless countdown clocks because they have no audio/old ones, low MDBF on some cars, etc.) 

Not sure which one I would work on. I would work on A if I wanted fast segments, and I would work on the B if I wanted scenery.

Which leads me to, are the average speeds on A generally higher than on the B (sharper curves notwithstanding?) As you can tell, I'm not intimately familiar with the physical characteristics of the lines!

EDIT: Oh, or are you referring to the shorter segments (i.e. shuttles, 1 train, 3 on weekends, etc.?)

The A Division, successor to the IRT, is a complete system that stands on its own:

• East Side and West Side lines for Manhattan
  • Comprehensive Bronx coverage
  • A Brooklyn trunk line with 2 branches, Roger Junction issues notwithstanding
  • A cross-town line to Queens

As the first subway system of NYC, a lot of the city's development occurred around the IRT, and every numbered line seems to be overcrowded, even when you take into account the smaller cars the A Division uses. The A Division also has the faster express lines mainly because fewer express stops were built.

22 hours ago, Caelestor said:

The A Division, successor to the IRT, is a complete system that stands on its own:

• East Side and West Side lines for Manhattan
  • Comprehensive Bronx coverage
  • A Brooklyn trunk line with 2 branches, Roger Junction issues notwithstanding
  • A cross-town line to Queens

As the first subway system of NYC, a lot of the city's development occurred around the IRT, and every numbered line seems to be overcrowded, even when you take into account the smaller cars the A Division uses. The A Division also has the faster express lines mainly because fewer express stops were built.

It also is faster due to less timers. Taking the (A) from 59th to 125th takes the same amount of time as taking the (2) or (3)  from 42nd to 116th.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived