IBOA Business Model

Silk City Transit

I'm curious as to how the specific business model of the IBOA's worked.  I have a general understanding of how it was (still is, I guess, whatever's left of them) being a collection of owner/operators or whatever but did each owner/op. own their own buses?  Did they pool together to run the service?  Was it similar to the FedEx Ground model in which owner/ops own their own trucks and are technically individual companies but run the service for FXG?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Silk City Transit said:

I'm curious as to how the specific business model of the IBOA's worked.  I have a general understanding of how it was (still is, I guess, whatever's left of them) being a collection of owner/operators or whatever but did each owner/op. own their own buses?  Did they pool together to run the service?  Was it similar to the FedEx Ground model in which owner/ops own their own trucks and are technically individual companies but run the service for FXG?

Thanks.

Me Too I Wanted To Run An IBOA I Already Have Routes I Made for It But I Never Knew How Private Companies Ever Operator

The business model changed in 1976 when the state bought the buses starting with the huge order of Flxible new looks. Before that the operators owned the buses they used. Those were the good old days of the Independent bus owners association. All the buses had different color stripes depending on the bus line it was going to like Blue for Transport of NJ now NJT and some private lines too. Other colors were red, orange and green.  They came in 30 ft, 35 ft and 40 ft models and widths of 96 inch and 102 inch. Some had single doors but most had two doors. All had A/C units.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 6:38 PM, busdude2 said:

The business model changed in 1976 when the state bought the buses starting with the huge order of Flxible new looks. Before that the operators owned the buses they used. Those were the good old days of the Independent bus owners association. All the buses had different color stripes depending on the bus line it was going to like Blue for Transport of NJ now NJT and some private lines too. Other colors were red, orange and green.  They came in 30 ft, 35 ft and 40 ft models and widths of 96 inch and 102 inch. Some had single doors but most had two doors. All had A/C units.

So what was the post-1976 model? Did the operators lease the NJDOT/NJT buses in their company name and run under their respective IBOA banner?

On 12/5/2017 at 12:31 PM, Q101 E Midtown said:

So what was the post-1976 model? Did the operators lease the NJDOT/NJT buses in their company name and run under their respective IBOA banner?

The only difference it was the state supplying the independent operators their buses, rather than the independents buying their own buses.

There aren't a lot of IBOA's left, a few around Newark including Lafayette & Greenville, Broadway IBOA serving Bayonne, and A&C are three that I can think of.

The ones that are left is Broadway IBOA in Bayonne, A&C Bus Corp. & O.N.E. / Independent Bus left.

Lafayette & Greenville died years ago once Red & Tan in Hudson county went under.

• 1 month later...

Archived