The R179s' very first In-Service Trip

Dj Hammers

I feel like of all the things that make the subway interesting, the biggest one was the variation in subway cars. R32s and R38s looking the same from the front but the side windows and forward route indicators distinguishing; riding an R40 slant then crossing the platform to an R68, Redbird to R62...

Now with NTT, while R143, R160 and R179 are different trains, for everyone but the diehard railfan, there's no visual difference to distinguish one from the other. Everything is becoming uniform and utilitarian, and I think it's removing the best thing about the subway - visual variation and varied experience.

Nice train, however.

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

I feel like of all the things that make the subway interesting, the biggest one was the variation in subway cars. R32s and R38s looking the same from the front but the side windows and forward route indicators distinguishing; riding an R40 slant then crossing the platform to an R68, Redbird to R62...

Now with NTT, while R143, R160 and R179 are different trains, for everyone but the diehard railfan, there's no visual difference to distinguish one from the other. Everything is becoming uniform and utilitarian, and I think it's removing the best thing about the subway - visual variation and varied experience.

Nice train, however.

I personally like these trains over everything else. They can reef all of the others. I'd take the R143s, R160s and R179s. Nice and wide, bright, air conditioning throughout the car the way it should be (not just in the middle of the damn car). Those newer cars used on the (2)(4)(5) lines are too narrow and the AC is only good throughout the newer models. 

9 hours ago, Deucey said:

Nice train, however.

I'm sure folks were saying something similar when all of the pre-war fleet on the IRT lines were replaced by what would become the redbirds. It's all cyclical really. 

Archived