Crazy Man on Metro North

nostalgia

On Saturday November 25, I rode the 9:05 PM Stamford Local from GCT. The doors opened around 8:50. A crazy man was cursing either into his cell phone or other passengers. Passengers moved away from him because of his screaming. A female conductor heard him screaming and asked him where he was going. He refused to say and cursed her out. She left the train and walked to the back. I thought she went into the terminal to get police to haul him off.

To my surprise, the police didn't come and the train left with the crazy man. Passengers who sat across from him moved to other seats. New passengers took those seats and eventually moved. Assistant Conductor ****** did absolutely NOTHING. He didn't call on the IC nor his radio for assistance from the police and other crew members. He blamed the female conductor for not telling him about the problem.

I didn't expect ****** to tangle with the man but I expected him to call for his assistance. Fortunately, the crazy man got off at Mount Vernon, the first stop after Fordham.

30 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

I sent a message to the MTA through their website. It will be interesting to see if I get a response. They didn't respond to the last message I sent so I retransmitted the message with the original incident number.

What do you hope to get out of all this?

I once sent a complaint about a rude crew member and a trainmaster called for further information. You never know what's going to happen when you file a complaint. Instead of whining on this board, I followed through by contacting the (MTA). It's their decision what they do with the information.

3 hours ago, nostalgia said:

I sent a message to the MTA through their website. It will be interesting to see if I get a response. They didn't respond to the last message I sent so I retransmitted the message with the original incident number.

You may have to wait a while, but someone usually responds. Metro-North takes customer service very seriously. The times I've filed complaints it may take a bit longer, but I get a personal response, not a canned one.

12 hours ago, nostalgia said:

You won't get one.

Take it from someone who's tried. When I protected my tweets, I chose to stop complaining.

15 hours ago, nostalgia said:

On Saturday November 25, I rode the 9:05 PM Stamford Local from GCT. The doors opened around 8:50. A crazy man was cursing either into his cell phone or other passengers. Passengers moved away from him because of his screaming. A female conductor heard him screaming and asked him where he was going. He refused to say and cursed her out. She left the train and walked to the back. I thought she went into the terminal to get police to haul him off.

To my surprise, the police didn't come and the train left with the crazy man. Passengers who sat across from him moved to other seats. New passengers took those seats and eventually moved. Assistant Conductor Mark P did absolutely NOTHING. He didn't call on the IC nor his radio for assistance from the police and other crew members. He blamed the female conductor for not telling him about the problem.

I didn't expect Mark P to tangle with the man but I expected him to call for his assistance. Fortunately, the crazy man got off at Mount Vernon, the first stop after Fordham.

Negligence is the MO unless it precedes a lawsuit or tragedy.

I complain a lot. But it's pointless to talk to a wall.

That's plain ignorant. Either they call 911 or I would in that scenario.

Well, I did get an answer from the (MTA). It's slightly better than I expected.

***********************************************************************************************

Thank you for your email.  We apologize for any unpleasantness you experienced.

We take these concerns very seriously and expect conductors to handle difficult situations such as the one you have described.  We have shared your email with the Transportation Department for their review and follow-up with the train crew.

Sincerely,

Allison Lester

Metro-North's always been good with reaching out to customers that file complaints, and they do follow up and take action. Last year I filed a complaint about how one of their morning trains skipped a stop that it wasn't supposed to. To their credit they actually replied that same afternoon basically saying that the higher ups were already aware of the incident and that the crew would be disciplined and re-trained. The train in question hasn't skipped that stop ever since.

Try getting that kind of customer service on the bus side.

I had a co-worker get chased by a crazy person across a few cars of a Metro North train that had just left Stamford, but thankfully MTA PD was either on the train or met it at the next stop (I forget which) and took down the guy. No one ever explained to her what the guy was doing on the train in the first place, as it turned out that MTA PD had been following the guy for a few stops prior. She described it like a carnival scene out of a movie. Crazy what happens on these trains sometimes.  

1 hour ago, R42N said:

Does it matter?

There was a disturbing case where employees on duty did absolutely nothing. 

Thank you for understanding. BP98 doesn't understand that people felt threatened and moved to other seats.

6 hours ago, R42N said:

Does it matter?

There was a disturbing case where employees on duty did absolutely nothing. 

Well, yea it does matter.  If you are going to file a complaint about someone, it's logical to care about the outcome.  Also, Just because you didn't hear or see the crew do anything doesn't mean that they did nothing.  

5 hours ago, nostalgia said:

Thank you for understanding. BP98 doesn't understand that people felt threatened and moved to other seats.

Apparently I don't "understand" that people felt threatened based on the question that I asked?  Um, ok.  

2 hours ago, bp98 said:

Well, yea it does matter.  If you are going to file a complaint about someone, it's logical to care about the outcome.  Also, Just because you didn't hear or see the crew do anything doesn't mean that they did nothing.  

Apparently I don't "understand" that people felt threatened based on the question that I asked?  Um, ok.  

You must work for the LIRR. They are known to have non-existent customer service, so I understand your sarcastic response.

5 hours ago, bp98 said:

I’m not sure if this is sarcastic, but if it isn’t and you think the crew being absent minded and not doing anything is ok, I don’t know what to say.

If the gentleman was so irate, and no one from the train crew dealt with the situation, they did nothing, and that warrants a write-up complaint. 

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They (LIRR) are known to have non-existent customer service......

Yep, and god help you if you don't use the Babylon branch...... If you have to lie to get something other than a canned response (or even no response at all) via e-mail, there is something seriously wrong.... Telephonically, I have heard of people getting hung up on...

Screw the LIRR..

LIRR's always been biased with reaching out to certain customers that file complaints, and they do follow up and take action out of fear....

Try getting that kind of customer service on Metro-North.

Preach !

12 hours ago, R42N said:

I’m not sure if this is sarcastic, but if it isn’t and you think the crew being absent minded and not doing anything is ok, I don’t know what to say.

If the gentleman was so irate, and no one from the train crew dealt with the situation, they did nothing, and that warrants a write-up complaint. 

How do you know that they did nothing?

53 minutes ago, bp98 said:

How do you know that they did nothing?

The gentleman was able to curse at a MNRR employee, disturb the entire train, scare off passengers fleeing to other cars, and he got off as if nothing happened at Mount Vernon. That’s literally the definition of doing nothing

And if you need more proof, the OP literally had a conversation with the assistant conductor, in which “he blamed the female conductor for not telling him about the problem.” which means they did nothing

You shouldn’t pay money to feel scared due to behavior of another passenger. This incident should be reported, and I’m glad it’s under investigation. 

54 minutes ago, bp98 said:

How was I sarcastic?

You asked the OP what he was looking to get out of filing a complaint. Well why do people file complaints? The answer seems pretty obvious. I'm a Metro-North rider myself, and I have never heard or seen such a thing before, and if I did, I too would report it. I've used LIRR for business purposes or networking dinners out there, and the standards are pretty low in terms of what is tolerated. LIRR trains are like subways. MNRR trains are much more civilized and are true commuter trains, so the behavior the OP witnessed is very alarming and not the norm.

Archived