When will bad customer service in MTA end?

Lawrence St

It is really getting to the point where I'm getting fed up.

Last week, I went to go visit a friend in Middle Village, where the (M) is. I was coming from Fulton St and decided to take the (J) , because I knew I could transfer to the free shuttle bus at Myrtle Av-Bway to get to the (M) shuttle and continue my journey to Middle Village. When I got to Myrtle-Bway, I went up to the station booth clerk who was on his cell phone. I asked him if I could get a transfer (That out of system transfer that they normally give you to get back in the system after using a shuttle bus) to the shuttle bus to get back on the (M) shuttle. He didn't even look up at me and told me that I didn't need one and to just take the bus. I said are you sure and he said no, I'm playing around, of course I'm sure.

So that's what I did, i went on the shuttle and when I got to MYRTLE-WYCKOFF, I went to the MTA guy that was standing near the autogate and asked him to let me in because I just came from the shuttle bus. He answered nice try and told me I had to pay my fare or get out of his face. So I ended up walking from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village because I didn't have money to pay another fare to get into the system, I only had enough for my return trip home.

When will this type of customer service end in MTA? Don't get me wrong, it's not all of them, but some are just real shit heads when it comes to this sort of thing.

47 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Last week, I went to go visit a friend in Middle Village, where the (M) is. I was coming from Fulton St and decided to take the (J) , because I knew I could transfer to the free shuttle bus at Myrtle Av-Bway to get to the (M) shuttle and continue my journey to Middle Village. When I got to Myrtle-Bway, I went up to the station booth clerk who was on his cell phone. I asked him if I could get a transfer (That out of system transfer that they normally give you to get back in the system after using a shuttle bus) to the shuttle bus to get back on the (M) shuttle. He didn't even look up at me and told me that I didn't need one and to just take the bus. I said are you sure and he said no, I'm playing around, of course I'm sure.

So that's what I did, i went on the shuttle and when I got to MYRTLE-WYCKOFF, I went to the MTA guy that was standing near the autogate and asked him to let me in because I just came from the shuttle bus. He answered nice try and told me I had to pay my fare or get out of his face. So I ended up walking from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village because I didn't have money to pay another fare to get into the system, I only had enough for my return trip home.

When will this type of customer service end in MTA? Don't get me wrong, it's not all of them, but some are just real shit heads when it comes to this sort of thing.

And the union will defend them to the end unless they become a public image liability.

This is one of many reasons I don't bother with shuttle buses.... If there's any policy that's supposed to be followed, it is VERY loosely carried out....

There should've been the equivalent of the person at the gate that was at Myrtle-Wyckoff, at Myrtle-B'way after you came off the (J).... You shouldn't have had to walk up to a s/a (who was going to tell you what you ended up getting told, as they don't hand out those paper xfers in question).... Be there as it may, the whole thing is a hassle & a pain in the ass....

The guy at Myrtle-Wyckoff thought you were a fare-beater (hence the whole a**hole attitude) - especially if you walked up to him well before or after an approaching bundle of people (which is usually how they judge when a shuttle bus(es) arrive) & especially if you had no proof of ever boarding a shuttle bus....

23 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

This is one of many reasons I don't bother with shuttle buses.... If there's any policy that's supposed to be followed, it is VERY loosely carried out....

There should've been the equivalent of the person at the gate that was at Myrtle-Wyckoff, at Myrtle-B'way after you came off the (J).... You shouldn't have had to walk up to a s/a (who was going to tell you what you ended up getting told, as they don't hand out those paper xfers in question).... Be there as it may, the whole thing is a hassle & a pain in the ass....

The guy at Myrtle-Wyckoff thought you were a fare-beater (hence the whole a**hole attitude) - especially if you walked up to him well before or after an approaching bundle of people (which is usually how they judge when a shuttle bus(es) arrive) & especially if you had no proof of ever boarding a shuttle bus....

That and there are so many fare beaters now when you take the bus. Saw one this morning.  Guy had a cell phone and earbuds but can't afford the fare... The driver didn't even acknowledge him.  Just allowed him go on and take a seat.

53 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't get it. I don't want to have to take the (J) all the way to Broadway Junction just to transfer to the (L) and then the (M) shuttle. It's suppose to be a free transfer in between Myrtle-Bway and Myrtle-Wyckoff and there is suppose to be someone giving out transfer tickets at Myrtle-Broadway, which I did not see which is why I went to the station agent. I even called MTA twice and asked them if there was indeed a free transfer, one person told me yes another one told me no. 

And the shuttle bus was nearly empty because I took it on a Sunday, so there were 7 other people with me aboard the bus. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

And yet they want to put more people outside the token booth to "aid passengers."

I need a car again before they raise this fare to $3...

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I don't get it. I don't want to have to take the (J) all the way to Broadway Junction just to transfer to the (L) and then the (M) shuttle. It's suppose to be a free transfer in between Myrtle-Bway and Myrtle-Wyckoff and there is suppose to be someone giving out transfer tickets at Myrtle-Broadway, which I did not see which is why I went to the station agent. I even called MTA twice and asked them if there was indeed a free transfer, one person told me yes another one told me no. 

And the shuttle bus was nearly empty because I took it on a Sunday, so there were 7 other people with me aboard the bus. 

Oh, I understand why you did what you did & don't fault you for it.....

They should've kept the shuttle buses running to Metropolitan, instead of having people bother with getting off the (J) to take a shuttle bus to Myrtle-Wyckoff for the (M), to then get to points north of Myrtle-Wyckoff.... Immense waste of time....

Contrary to the MTA's apparent belief, everyone doesn't want the freakin  (L)....

...and to get two polarizing answers to a question regarding a free transfer, only illustrates the growing incompetency with this agency... One hand knows what the other does not??? Ridiculous.....

1 hour ago, bstar1 said:

From Manhattan I would just take (L) to myrtle-wyckoff and then (M) shuttle train.

He got on at Fulton st...

I would've taken the (J) over the bridge (Williamsburg) & got off at Marcy for the Q54.... T'hell with shuttle buses in this city.

As for the (L).... If it's not to/from anywhere b/w Broadway Junction & Canarsie, I go out of my way to avoid that line...

2 hours ago, bstar1 said:

From Manhattan I would just take (L) to myrtle-wyckoff and then (M) shuttle train.

46 minutes ago, bstar1 said:

Take (2)(3)  (4)(5)(A)(C)  to 14 St for (L) . 

This is so beside the point. Shoulda woulda coulda isn’t helpful. The discussion here is about how 2 MTA service reps gave diametrically opposite information regarding fare policy. Regardless of where Lawrence st was coming from, that’s an issue. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I would've personally just taken the (4) or (5) to Union Square for the (L) and called it a day.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I would've taken the (J) over the bridge (Williamsburg) & got off at Marcy for the Q54.... T'hell with shuttle buses in this city.

For me, I avoid shuttle buses when I have an unlimited. I remember I wanted to meet some friends in Jamaica for NICE/SCT fanning and the J had shuttle buses east of (I think) Cypress Hills. Instead I got off at Alabama Avenue for the Q56.

Funny enough I knew in advance of that GO and tried to convince my friend in Ridgewood to just take the Q54 instead of the L to the J to the shuttle bus but he didn't listen.

7 minutes ago, RR503 said:

This is so beside the point. Shoulda woulda coulda isn’t helpful. The discussion here is about how 2 MTA service reps gave diametrically opposite information regarding fare policy. Regardless of where Lawrence st was coming from, that’s an issue. 

Thank you. It’s the old one hand doesn’t know routine mentioned earlier. I don’t know the procedures these days but, IMO, there should have been signs posted and at least two people at this location assigned specifically to transfer service. The S/A working there should have been more helpful even if it wasn’t his direct responsibility. Believe me when I say that there are rude folks in the (MTA) and everywhere else. I’m from the school where it’s okay to be polite and it doesn’t cost a cent. Nowadays I get called a dinosaur, lol. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Just now, Deucey said:

Like buying furniture at Walmart- just cuz it’s cheap doesn’t mean it’s good.

LMAO... I didn't even know Walmart even sold furniture. Then again I haven't been in a Walmart since my college years when the only market nearby to my dorm was Walmart (they put ShopRite out of business). lol

While they were a bit a**holey to you about it, they were... well... right.

Myrtle Broadway and Myrtle-Wyckoff are now programed into the system as an "out of system transfer", you would simply swipe back in again and no second fare would have been used. 

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/08/18/final-phase-m-line-overpass-reconstruction-begins-september-2

Customers paying with a MetroCard who have exited at either Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs or Myrtle Av and then transferred to the free shuttle bus can re-enter the subway station at the other end of the shuttle bus route, allowing customers to connect between Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Myrtle Av without paying twice.

1 hour ago, bstar1 said:

He ended up paying two fares by taking train to shuttle bus and back on train. If you take (L) from Manhattan to (M) Shuttle trains free transfer instead of paying two fares.

Um no I WALKED from Wyckoff Avenue all the way to Metropolitian, I wasn't gonna use the remaining fare on my card because I needed that to get home afterwards.

7 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

While they were a bit a**holey to you about it, they were... well... right.

Myrtle Broadway and Myrtle-Wyckoff are now programed into the system as an "out of system transfer", you would simply swipe back in again and no second fare would have been used. 

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/08/18/final-phase-m-line-overpass-reconstruction-begins-september-2

Here's the problem, if I use that transfer I would have to pay again if I need to transfer to the bus which I had to that day. If you want my opinion, customers who get off at Broadway to catch the shuttle bus should instead get a transfer ticket from the station agent or whoever handles that sort of thing.

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

If you want my opinion, customers who get off at Broadway to catch the shuttle bus should instead get a transfer ticket from the station agent or whoever handles that sort of thing.

Don't mean to be a kill joy, but, the M through Ridgewood is not a rinky-dink line anymore when it comes to ridership. You'd need an enormous amount of transfer slips (which could easily total thousands a day) and people to hand them out and check them. This isn't a weekend GO we're talking about, this is 8 whole months of 24/7 shuttle busing between two stations. You should have just taken the IRT to USQ and grabbed the L to Wykoff if you were that worried about it. 

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

They should've kept the shuttle buses running to Metropolitan, instead of having people bother with getting off the (J) to take a shuttle bus to Myrtle-Wyckoff for the (M), to then get to points north of Myrtle-Wyckoff.... Immense waste of time....

Contrary to the MTA's apparent belief, everyone doesn't want the freakin  (L)....

retaining the buses would be an epic fail because the M is not the only transportation construction project Ridgewood is dealing with at the moment. They had to delay the Metropolitan/Fresh Pond LIRR bridge reconstruction work to accommodate the shuttle buses. 

Also, contrary to your belief, Wyckoff seems just as well used now as it was with normal service, so the L<->M connection has been sufficiently popular. 

18 hours ago, bstar1 said:

He ended up paying two fares by taking train to shuttle bus and back on train. If you take (L) from Manhattan to (M) Shuttle trains free transfer instead of paying two fares.

Dude, No he didn't, he WALKED from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village....

You're too caught up with monday morning quarterbacking to see this for what it is... I don't blame Lawrence st. for this at all & it's enough that we're even on here (myself included) coming up with alternate commutes and/or "what we would've done's" to avert this situation going on w/ the (M) up there....

The word of the day is Accommodating..... The MTA does a TERRIBLE job at this when it comes to riders....

17 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

For me, I avoid shuttle buses when I have an unlimited. I remember I wanted to meet some friends in Jamaica for NICE/SCT fanning and the J had shuttle buses east of (I think) Cypress Hills. Instead I got off at Alabama Avenue for the Q56.

Funny enough I knew in advance of that GO and tried to convince my friend in Ridgewood to just take the Q54 instead of the L to the J to the shuttle bus but he didn't listen.

For me, it's not even about the fare (or lack thereof) or the type of card I have.... They couldn't pay me to take these shuttle buses.

I remember going on a fantrip one time on a saturday & had wanted to start it out by taking to (2) into Manhattan.... Ignorant of the fact (at the time) that there was no service south of Franklin, I had to walk back to NY av (after having got off a dollar cab... lol)... The B44 came at the same time the shuttle bus did @ NY/Church... Both buses had about maybe 20 ppl. or so on it, no standees.....

I got on the B44 without hesitation.... Didn't care about saving a fare.

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

....and how is it that MTA employees don't know this?

1] The guy at the gate @ Myrtle-Wyckoff told dude (Lawrence st) to "pay my fare or get out of his face."

2] Lawrence st. also called MTA twice about a free xfer & got conflicting answers....

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

.....You'd need an enormous amount of transfer slips (which could easily total thousands a day) and people to hand them out and check them. This isn't a weekend GO we're talking about, this is 8 whole months of 24/7 shuttle busing between two stations......

That's not the riders' problem.... The MTA having to do necessary construction doesn't mean that the rider should have to walk around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to do the right thing either....

Print the enormous amount of paper xfers if you don't want to run shuttle buses up to Metropolitan....

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

....Also, contrary to your belief, Wyckoff seems just as well used now as it was with normal service, so the L<->M connection has been sufficiently popular. 

What you're addressing with this isn't my belief though.

I'm not conveying that the connection at Myrtle-Wyckoff isn't sufficiently popular; I'm not making this about the current amt. of people making said connection.... Yes, it's a popular connection, got all that..... My point is that you have more than enough people (wanting to make) the (J) <---> (M) connection at Myrtle-B'way (that aren't trying to catch the (L)) that need service past Myrtle-Wyckoff.... You said it yourself, "the M through Ridgewood is not a rinky-dink line anymore when it comes to ridership"....

15 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Dude, No he didn't, he WALKED from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village....

You're too caught up with monday morning quarterbacking to see this for what it is... I don't blame Lawrence st. for this at all & it's enough that we're even on here (myself included) coming up with alternate commutes and/or "what we would've done's" to avert this situation going on w/ the (M) up there....

The word of the day is Accommodating..... The MTA does a TERRIBLE job at this when it comes to riders....

For me, it's not even about the fare (or lack thereof) or the type of card I have.... They couldn't pay me to take these shuttle buses.

I remember going on a fantrip one time on a saturday & had wanted to start it out by taking to (2) into Manhattan.... Ignorant of the fact (at the time) that there was no service south of Franklin, I had to walk back to NY av (after having got off a dollar cab... lol)... The B44 came at the same time the shuttle bus did @ NY/Church... Both buses had about maybe 20 ppl. or so on it, no standees.....

I got on the B44 without hesitation.... Didn't care about saving a fare.

....and how is it that MTA employees don't know this?

1] The guy at the gate @ Myrtle-Wyckoff told dude (Lawrence st) to "pay my fare or get out of his face."

2] Lawrence st. also called MTA twice about a free xfer & got conflicting answers....

That's not the riders' problem.... The MTA having to do necessary construction doesn't mean that the rider should have to walk around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to do the right thing either....

Print the enormous amount of paper xfers if you don't want to run shuttle buses up to Metropolitan....

What you're addressing with this isn't my belief though.

I'm not conveying that the connection at Myrtle-Wyckoff isn't sufficiently popular; I'm not making this about the current amt. of people making said connection.... Yes, it's a popular connection, got all that..... My point is that you have more than enough people (wanting to make) the (J) <---> (M) connection at Myrtle-B'way (that aren't trying to catch the (L)) that need service past Myrtle-Wyckoff.... You said it yourself, "the M through Ridgewood is not a rinky-dink line anymore when it comes to ridership"....

Is it easier to take (L) to (M) Shuttle instead of walking to Middle Village. If he want walk then good for him.

Archived