When will bad customer service in MTA end?

Lawrence St

40 minutes ago, bstar1 said:

Yes he even said he walked from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village because he could not get on Shuttle train because he would have to pay fare again.

The point @Lawrence St and @B35 via Church are making is that because (MTA) didn’t issue transfers or have staff that could actually explain how he’d avoid paying two fares WITHOUT WALKING BASED ON THE ROUTE HE CHOSE, the customer service is bad and needs improvement severely and quickly.

What point is it you’re making?

1 hour ago, bstar1 said:

Yes he even said he walked from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village because he could not get on Shuttle train because he would have to pay fare again.

He didn't know there was a free transfer.... Apparently, neither did the the guy at the gate at Myrtle-Wyckoff that Lawrence st. referenced - and got treated like a farebeater instead.

58 minutes ago, bstar1 said:

(L) to (M) Shuttle he would not to walk free transfer.

Alright, so you can make a suggested route... So can all of us that know the system.

13 minutes ago, Deucey said:

The point @Lawrence St and @B35 via Church are making is that because (MTA) didn’t issue transfers or have staff that could actually explain how he’d avoid paying two fares WITHOUT WALKING BASED ON THE ROUTE HE CHOSE, the customer service is bad and needs improvement severely and quickly.

What point is it you’re making?

To me, I get the sense that he's trying to convey that Lawrence st. knew that there was an OOS xfer & decided to walk anyway - because he didn't have enough for another fare... Which is a stupid point to try to make.

Talking about miscommunication, I have seen on one occasion about 5 or 6 different people dip their MetroCard into a shuttle bus, actually pay the bus (completely unaware the bus is free), the B/O  keeping silent, THEN the people who know the bus is free just walk in, again without a word.

8 minutes ago, bstar1 said:

I was just making a suggested route i was not blaming him so next time he would not have to go through the trouble.

You coming up with two possible scenarios he could have taken is rather implicative of blaming him..... It's as if you're trying to absolve the MTA or something.... His taking the (J) from Fulton doesn't amount to any sort of error....

Talking about miscommunication, I have seen on one occasion about 5 or 6 different people dip their MetroCard into a shuttle bus, actually pay the bus (completely unaware the bus is free), the B/O keeping silent, THEN the people who know the bus is free just walk in, again without a word.

In these situations, once, just once I would like to see one of these b/o's (or whoever) create a sign in big, bold letters, on top of the farebox (with which would additionally be covered w/ paper or whatever) that reads:

FREE

60941-left-back-straight-arrow.png

Bstar, gee thanks for giving me a suggested reroute AFTER the fact that I wasted half an hour walking up the dam (M) line.

The point that I'm trying to make is that good customer service ISN'T in MTA at all. You wanna know why? I called them up again earlier and asked to speak to a supervisor, and SHE told me that there was no free transfer between Broadway and Wycoff, which fed me up and put her in her place. It's a dam shame that not even supervisors know about this. We, in this case, should not have to spend our extra transfer on the (M) shuttle, because for two reasons:

That day I came back from Middle Village, I had to take the (M) shuttle to the (L) , take the (L) to Union Square, then take the (4) to City Hall where I got off and transfered to the M9 bus in order to get home in order to not lose my free transfer. If there were instead transfer tickets being issued, I would have instead taken the (M) shuttle to the shuttle bus, then to the (J) to Fulton St, which would have been so much easier.

19 minutes ago, bstar1 said:

He want to do that extra stuff good for him.

This still doesn't explain the unhelpful agent. Most of us here KNOW the L -> M route and no doubt if the agent told Lawrence, that there is no free transfer he would've taken it to Broadway Junction and take the L. The point I'm trying to make is that the booth workers need to be updated regarding transfer issues and not provide conflicting information. It has nothing to do with "doing extra stuff"

2 hours ago, bstar1 said:

He want to do that extra stuff good for him.

Heading up from Fulton to 14th to catch the (L) to get to Myrtle-Wyckoff for the (M) up towards Middle Village would've also amounted to "extra stuff"..... The fact that there's ongoing construction that's impeding the normal process of riders that transfer at B'way-Myrtle to catch the (M), amounts to "extra stuff".... This has less to do with "extra stuff" & more to do with the MTA's incompetence.... If you don't get that or refuse to get that, then guess what....

......Good for you.

17 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Yeah, so instead, let's make a difficult situation worse by having to keep around crates upon crates of transfer tickets and/or run unnecessary shuttle buses that impede traffic and other construction work...

None of that is making a difficult situation worse for the rider.....

27 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

None of that is making a difficult situation worse for the rider.....

Kamen Rider can be such a prick at times.  He's only saying this crap because he wasn't affected and he lives in the area so he knows the set up already. For someone who doesn't know and has a pay-per-ride good luck.  

Why does it have to be either "keep a ton of free transfer tickets" or "make an annoying situation worse with lack of knowledge"? The Myrtle Ave line has been closed for months now. Every station agent that gets posted to any of the remaining Myrtle Ave stops open, especially Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Myrtle Av-Broadway, should be well aware of the transfer policies regarding the full-time shuttle buses. For that matter, so should the people handling customer complaints. You can't walk three feet without running into a Myrtle Ave rehab poster at any (M) line station, so you shouldn't be wrong to assume the station agents know the process. If it was just a matter of swiping a MetroCard again at Myrtle-Wyckoff, the agent should have been aware of this to be able to inform riders who don't take the (M) on a regular basis. Not everyone is a frequent rider. It's no wonder why people feel the station agents are a waste of space at times. It's also quite frankly why I'm not so enthused about the whole "ambassador" program Lhota started.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Kamen Rider can be such a prick at times.  He's only saying this crap because he wasn't affected and he lives in the area so he knows the set up already. For someone who doesn't know and has a pay-per-ride good luck.  

Nice personal attack. Where'd you get it? Copied what people have said about you..?

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Heading up from Fulton to 14th to catch the (L) to get to Myrtle-Wyckoff for the (M) up towards Middle Village would've also amounted to "extra stuff"..... The fact that there's ongoing construction that's impeding the normal process of riders that transfer at B'way-Myrtle to catch the (M), amounts to "extra stuff".... This has less to do with "extra stuff" & more to do with the MTA's incompetence.... If you don't get that or refuse to get that, then guess what....

......Good for you.

The extra stuff is walking from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village if he took (L) to (M) Shuttle he would not have to walk.

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Print the enormous amount of paper xfers if you don't want to run shuttle buses up to Metropolitan....

Or just make sure all station agents are well-informed on the transfer policy so the majority of passengers can just use the OOS transfer, and people who are uninformed can have correct information.

9 minutes ago, bstar1 said:

The extra stuff is walking from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Middle Village if he took (L) to (M) Shuttle he would not have to walk.

Did you not get what the OP mentioned? It was Lawrence St's decision to take the (J) to the shuttle bus to the (M) because he knew he should have received a transfer. He was not expecting different statements and reactions from MTA personnel regarding the transfer policy. The extra stuff is the disorganization on the MTA's part.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:16 AM, Lawrence St said:

Last week, I went to go visit a friend in Middle Village, where the (M) is. I was coming from Fulton St and decided to take the (J) , because I knew I could transfer to the free shuttle bus at Myrtle Av-Bway to get to the (M) shuttle and continue my journey to Middle Village.

27 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Did you not get what the OP mentioned? It was Lawrence St's decision to take the (J) to the shuttle bus to the (M) because he knew he should have received a transfer. He was not expecting different statements and reactions from MTA personnel regarding the transfer policy. The extra stuff is the disorganization on the MTA's part.

As the son of a native NYer and a 5 year transplant, there’s always a NYer that will listen to you rightly complain about something and then say “you’re doing it wrong.”

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Nice personal attack. Where'd you get it? Copied what people have said about you..?

Like you didn't attack Lawrence... Please. You took an underhanded dig at the guy essentially trying to make it sound like he was incompetent for his actions, so you should be called out, especially given the poor customer service he received. What's right is right.

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Or just make sure all station agents are well-informed on the transfer policy so the majority of passengers can just use the OOS transfer, and people who are uninformed can have correct information.

I'd prefer something more tangible & concrete..... Quite sure Lawrence st. would have also....

7 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The dude can't see the forest for the trees..... His vantage point is one of *he should have stayed within the (subway) system & anything else amounts to being extra stuff*.... Let him continue wallowing & drowning in his own ignorance.... Multiple people in this thread have made the point you're making - and even more importantly, Lawrence st. himself explained himself multiple times & his plight is well understood by those of us that had have anything REMOTELY similar happen, when it comes down to dealing with bustitution.... Notwithstanding ultimately deciding to hoof it out to some destination....

Bstar can continue to sit there & act like he was innocently posting alternate commute{s} that could've been taken, but at the end of the day, It's victim blaming...

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd prefer something more tangible & concrete..... Quite sure Lawrence st. would have also....

The dude can't see the forest for the trees..... His vantage point is one of *he should have stayed within the (subway) system & anything else amounts to being extra stuff*.... Let him continue wallowing & drowning in his own ignorance.... Multiple people in this thread have made the point you're making - and even more importantly, Lawrence st. himself explained himself multiple times & his plight is well understood by those of us that had have anything REMOTELY similar happen, when it comes down to dealing with bustitution.... Notwithstanding ultimately deciding to hoof it out to some destination....

Bstar can continue to sit there & act like he was innocently posting alternate commute{s} that could've been taken, but at the end of the day, It's victim blaming...

He Would Rather Walk Then To Ride To His Destination.

If I understand correctly, he walked because he didn't have the additional fare he thought he needed after the station agent at Myrtle-Wyckoff neglected to tell him there wouldn't be an additional charge for a swipe for the transfer between the shuttle buses and the (M) shuttle. I'm well aware of the Lexington Av-63 St style transfer in place due to the linked MTA press release, as is everyone else reading this thread. However, for those who don't read those press releases, like 99% of riders, this is not common information and the SOP for free shuttle buses has been get a block ticket from point A, give it to agent at point B and said agent opens the gate. Obviously the process has changed given the long-term nature of the closure, again, something of which needs to be known by all relevant parties in the MTA to be conveyed to riders who need the information. As mentioned previously, @Lawrence St didn't have another fare and obviously didn't want to get into an argument with the station agent or risk arrest by jumping the turnstyle, hence his decision to walk from Wyckoff Av to Metropolitan Av. Walking seems like a better alternative when compared to the other options.

Archived