Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach Transformation

Via Garibaldi 8

I grew up in the area and it is going through a transformation of sorts.  Several large "luxury" buildings have either been completed or will be completed soon, and all sorts of more "high-end" shops (high-end considering the area, since Manhattan Beach doesn't really have much commercial retail to speak of, and Sheepshead Bay has generally always been a sleepy fishing area with a small town feel in parts aside from places like Lundy's back in its heyday) are starting to open in an attempt to lure customers moving down there with cash. It's strange for me since I grew up in the area because while Manhattan Beach was always a more upper middle class area, Sheepshead Bay overall was just middle class, with some upper middle class spots here and there.  With this transformation, the question that popped up in my head was will transportation needs in the area change?

After running some errands and visiting with folks I've known for years in the area, I was told to try one of the new "Manhattan style" places that recently opened called "KarVér Brasserie and Bakery Café".  They are trying to expand and are adding locations in Manhattan as well with Manhattan prices.  While having lunch, the chef came over to me and we chatted for a bit. Turns out he grew up in the area as well, and we reminisced a bit about our youth as teens growing up in Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach.  While I ate there, I noticed several individuals that walked in that appeared to have just moved to the area (perhaps from the luxury condo above the brasserie).  It made me wonder if things like the express bus should be marketed more now (my BM3 bus back to Manhattan had about 15 people on it, but I was the only one that boarded along Emmons, save someone further down by Knapp Street) with all of the buildings near Emmons and along Ocean Avenue that are being built.  

How are these people getting to work?  Is the (B)(Q) seeing more usage and if so will it be able to handle this new influx of residents, not just in Sheepshead Bay/Manhattan Beach, but further north as well? Going up along Ocean Avenue, I saw several new luxury looking condos that appear to have just been finished.  It's unclear if some of the people that got off further north on Ocean when I came from Manhattan originally were just those usual holiday shoppers, or if they were indeed "new" riders.  

Years ago at a Town Hall meeting that myself and BrooklynBus attended, I spoke briefly about the need to introduce the (B) on weekends, and several people in the crowd agreed with me. There was also some from co-ops that wanted to see the BM3 be expanded again, but it's difficult to expand such a service if it is not marketed well.  In short, I have to believe these new residents will likely be working in Manhattan and will need to get around. Congestion didn't seem any worse than usual though along Emmons Avenue, so it isn't clear what affect if any will these new buildings will have on such quality of life issues.  I was also speaking with my barber about how people in Manhattan Beach are buying properties and tearing them down to build Mc Mansions.  I suppose these people are driving...

Archived