MTA Continues To Quietly Remove Trash Cans In Some Stations

Via Garibaldi 8

Tonight I took Metro-North into Grand Central, then got a cappuccino from Joe Coffee, and made my way to the subway. I finished my drink as I made my way into the turnstile area, and figured I could get rid of my trash on the platform. I made my way from the end of the platform, all the way to they very front on the Southbound side and could not find even one trash can. The station was noticeably dirtier, as I certainly recall seeing trash cans in the platforms before. The ironic thing was that when I got off at 23rd Street from the (6) , I counted FIVE trash cans on the Southbound platform, and 23rd while busy isn't Grand Central. Sad that they still don't get it. Has anyone else seen similar situations?

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

In London, the absence of trash cans is due to bombs being hidden in them by terrorists. I assume the MTA has the same idea.

I don't buy it, but let's go with that. If you have no trash cans, then hire more cleaners. People are going to just dump their crap right on the platform, which is what I saw about halfway through my search for a trash can.

IDGAF who previously owned it, why would I want to purchase a used trash receptacle...... That's taking the hobby too far.

--------------

Regarding the original post.....

While I haven't been keeping track of any station{s} in-particular, I have been noticing the removal of trash cans not only in the subway system system-wide, but on the street-corners as well for quite some time now.... I'm talking, even before they started removing them along the (J) line in Brooklyn/Queens.....

--------------

Sorry, but I don't believe the removal of trashcans has anything to do with terrorism whatsoever... Personally, I believe it has to do with nothing more than laziness & frugality; yet another attempt to try to cut back on shit & it's going to end up doing more harm than good.... This trend of removing trash receptacles in the subway system keeps up & ALL that time & money spent on that Track Sweep program will end up looming counterproductive in the longrun.... You're gonna have even more rats (and homeless people) festering in the subway system as time progresses (anyway)... The whole thing is fodder for those that believe we're going to revert back the 70's/80's regarding the state of the subways (which I necessarily, don't)....

The MTA is incompetent, but I don't want to believe my theory of what's been going on as of late (not just w/ the receptacle removals, but everything in general) amounting to straight up sabotage.... Housekeeping has never really been high up on the list (y'know, much like the artsy-fartsy shit has anyway), but when disease central (I'd laugh if I weren't so irritated at this) in the subways starts to become a thing, well then f*** it.... It's a wonder why you see some people (usually older folks) walking around with masks on, covering their nose & mouth & what not....

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

In London, the absence of trash cans is due to bombs being hidden in them by terrorists. I assume the MTA has the same idea.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't buy it, but let's go with that. If you have no trash cans, then hire more cleaners. People are going to just dump their crap right on the platform, which is what I saw about halfway through my search for a trash can.

That reminds me when I was at the Liverpool Street Station in London and I couldn't find a "rubbish bin" anywhere.  I asked one of the cleaners and he told me to just throw my trash on the ground and he'd sweep it up.  I was like "Are you sure?", I didn't wan't some type of littering ticket, but he assured me that it was ok.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

IDGAF who previously owned it, why would I want to purchase a used trash receptacle...... That's taking the hobby too far.

--------------

Regarding the original post.....

While I haven't been keeping track of any station{s} in-particular, I have been noticing the removal of trash cans not only in the subway system system-wide, but on the street-corners as well for quite some time now.... I'm talking, even before they started removing them along the (J) line in Brooklyn/Queens.....

--------------

Sorry, but I don't believe the removal of trashcans has anything to do with terrorism whatsoever... Personally, I believe it has to do with nothing more than laziness & frugality; yet another attempt to try to cut back on shit & it's going to end up doing more harm than good.... This trend of removing trash receptacles in the subway system keeps up & ALL that time & money spent on that Track Sweep program will end up looming counterproductive in the longrun.... You're gonna have even more rats (and homeless people) festering in the subway system as time progresses (anyway)... The whole thing is fodder for those that believe we're going to revert back the 70's/80's regarding the state of the subways (which I necessarily, don't)....

The MTA is incompetent, but I don't want to believe my theory of what's been going on as of late (not just w/ the receptacle removals, but everything in general) amounting to straight up sabotage.... Housekeeping has never really been high up on the list (y'know, much like the artsy-fartsy shit has anyway), but when disease central (I'd laugh if I weren't so irritated at this) in the subways starts to become a thing, well then f*** it.... It's a wonder why you see some people (usually older folks) walking around with masks on, covering their nose & mouth & what not....

Speaking of more rats and homeless people, when I got off at 23rd Street, there was a homeless guy with food spread all over one of the benches as if he was eating a feast. You know how that works. When they finish, they leave the crap everywhere. The irony wasn't lost on me. Five trash cans in that station with someone who won't give a damn about throwing their trash away vs someone in Grand Central who had to hold their trash because there weren't any. I can recall at least two trash cans being available previously, so this is definitely recent. Meanwhile they've been trying to spruce up parts of the station. They opened up a new entrance that the homeless apparently aren't aware of (yet - either that or there aren't enough people that use that part for them to beg for money). In any event, it's quickly becoming filthy since it looks as if it hasn't been touched with a broom or a mop of any sort. 

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

That reminds me when I was at the Liverpool Street Station in London and I couldn't find a "rubbish bin" anywhere.  I asked one of the cleaners and he told me to just throw my trash on the ground and he'd sweep it up.  I was like "Are you sure?", I didn't wan't some type of littering ticket, but he assured me that it was ok.

In Europe though they usually have cleaners, though the bathrooms at some stations can be downright appalling. I don't know about other places, but in Italy, you have to pay to use the restroom. You give the women 50 cents or whatever they charge and my understanding is that it is used towards their salary, but how often they clean is beyond me. I once went to use a bathroom in Stazione Centrale in Florence, and was almost knocked down by the smell of piss, this while paying to use it. Same deal when I was in the airport in Rome. I had run out from the smell. lol

If there's an advantage, at least in Europe they renovate stations more frequently and the quality is better. Here we piecemeal the work and then it is run down and filthy a short time later.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In Europe though they usually have cleaners, though the bathrooms at some stations can be downright appalling. I don't know about other places, but in Italy, you have to pay to use the restroom. You give the women 50 cents or whatever they charge and my understanding is that it is used towards their salary, but how often they clean is beyond me. I once went to use a bathroom in Stazione Centrale in Florence, and was almost knocked down by the smell of piss, this while paying to use it. Same deal when I was in the airport in Rome. I had run out from the smell. lol

If there's an advantage, at least in Europe they renovate stations more frequently and the quality is better. Here we piecemeal the work and then it is run down and filthy a short time later.

I used a public toilet in Paris by Republique and it smelled horrible, even though it self cleaned after every use. 

You have to pay to use the bathroom in Zurich HB , the toilet section costs more than the urinals. But it was very clean and didn't smell.

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I used a public toilet in Paris by Republique and it smelled horrible, even though it self cleaned after every use. 

You have to pay to use the bathroom in Zurich HB , the toilet section costs more than the urinals. But it was very clean and didn't smell.

lol Switzerland is always better, but they also have a very high standard of living and it's very expensive there, especially Zurich, Geneva and the other "big cities".

11 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

I doubt there's any policy to continue to remove trash cans, as you found 5 at 23rd St. Sounds like incompetence at best.

I doubt there's any policy to keep them either though.  That 23rd street incident was a coincidence as far as I'm concerned. I have never seen that many garbage cans on one platform.  Usually one or two at best. 

On 12/10/2017 at 5:37 AM, CenSin said:

That's why those trash cans are so bulky; IIRC they bought bombproof cans.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:36 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

YMMV depending on where you go. Berlin was very clean; Prague was very not.

Port Authority tries its darndest at the AirTrain bathroom; it's usable, if unpleasant, and certainly not the crime against humanity that is the few open subway bathrooms. Really, station upkeep should be privatized.

Edited by bobtehpanda

8 hours ago, P3F said:

The bathrooms at Fulton Center (in the paid area) are nice (but they are cleaned multiple times daily.)

The WTC mall's restrooms are also well-maintained.

Arent all the Fulton Center areas within and without Fare Control maintained by Westfield?

• 3 years later...

Well, that’s frustrating, I am not going to lie here. Mostly, it’s because we need a place where to put the trash. Otherwise, I think that they don’t have to complain why everything is on the floor and is a complete mess. Look, you can see this place disposal bin and that can help you. I don’t know, if you have someone from local authorities, maybe you could suggest it, so they start using those bins. It’s not expensive, especially for a state, but it can help with a lot of problems!

2 hours ago, Chemfluid said:

Well, that’s frustrating, I am not going to lie here. Mostly, it’s because we need a place where to put the trash. Otherwise, I think that they don’t have to complain why everything is on the floor and is a complete mess. Look, you can see this place disposal bin and that can help you. I don’t know, if you have someone from local authorities, maybe you could suggest it, so they start using those bins. It’s not expensive, especially for a state, but it can help with a lot of problems!

This thread is three years old; many of the stations eventually had the trash cans returned to them such as 8th Street on the (R) and (W).