Canarsie Shutdown fleet swap thread

LGA Link N Train

So it looks like neither the (B) nor the (G) will get R32s anymore then which is okay I guess. It's also rumored that the (G) will be 480 feet long, so wouldn't it make more sense to have the four-car R179s serve that line during the (L) shutdown or permanently instead?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

Guys the 32s on the (A) are temporary. If there was so called news then @Dj Hammers would've said so. 

Not sure, even if some are removed, quite a few will stay on the (A), I predict more than before. This is since many R46's from the A will go to the (C) and that lines R160's to the (J) while mostly all R32's and some 46's go to the (A). Saying R32's are temporary on the (A) makes little sense since getting rid of them would also revert them back to their previous lines, including the entirely NTT (J) which im not sure the (MTA) wants to do.

1 hour ago, D to 96 St said:

Guys the 32s on the (A) are temporary. If there was so called news then @Dj Hammers would've said so. 

EDIT: Also the (A) / (C) would be packed at Broadway Jct during the shutdown so the 32s on those lines are a non-starter. Its best to place them on lines that are UNAFFECTED by the shutdown which is why they should go to the (B) and (G)

Are you head of car equipment assignments? They’ll use whatever is necessary and cost effective during the shutdown. The R32’s ultimately will die on the (A) line. Whether its 20 sets of R32’s 4 sets of R179’s and 5 sets of R42’s then guess what? So be it. If some R32’s are transferred to Coney Island then so be it. You Can’t just start pre assigning cars to lines based off of your prediction. 

On 12/18/2017 at 3:48 AM, R32 3838 said:

Heres my bold prediction:

(A) & (C) R32, *R42,R46 and the 40 10 car trainsets of R179's. Both (A) / (C) shares fleet. *R42's if they were to stay.

The R32s will come off of the (A). It will be a mix of R179s and R46s.

(B) uses 2 R32 trainsets for gap service similar to when that 1 train was on the (B) in 2009-2010. The rest R68/A's. Meaning they'll barely use the R32's on the (B). They can also run it in place of that R68 and run it on the (A) in the pm rush.

(G) 8 car R32's,  R160A-1's

I would have the (G) run the R160's since CI has the same exact cars but as 10 car trains.

The (G) will be eight-cars long, or 480 feet.

(J) / (Z) R143,R160A-1,R179

(M) R160A-1, R179

NO! Only the R160s will be equipped with CBTC.

Those R32's aren't leaving the (A) but i can see the remaining ENY cars going to CIY for (G) service. 8 car (G) trains will come soon before the shutdown.

The (C) going full length kinda changed things now. But i see the R32's split between 207th & CIY.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:28 PM, Lance said:

Without the A1s or the four-car sets of 179s, I don't see much of a pull for the five-car sets running on either the (A) or (C) lines. In a veritable sea of 32s and 46s, I cannot see these oddballs of NTTs on either line. In fact, I believe the five-car sets will either be placed on the (F) to shift the 46s over to the (A)(C) and (R) lines or on the (N) to remove the handful of 68s from that line. Both applicable yards have plenty of similar cars in service on their lines, so the newer 179s will not be that much of an issue. That will not be the case for 207th Street or Pitkin, of which will only host older cars for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it right now.

This is incorrect. Only R160s, 1486 of them, will have CBTC for the Queens Blvd project. No R179s will be CBTC-eqipped. The five-car sets will run on the (A). Anyway the R46s won't stay on the (R) as it will need R160s.

On 12/19/2017 at 2:34 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

I do not doubt DJ's credibility.  I am just saying that he is one employee, and IDK what department he works for.  He is not the one who signs the memorandum.  If decisions were final as to where R32's will go the memo would be out today.  Since it's not, that says there are on going discussions.  He will tell you what is current as of the day he has the information, but transit is known to change their minds, then DJ will have new info for you at that time.

Operations Planning. I have spoken with a few other people in that department.

On 12/19/2017 at 2:56 PM, R32 3838 said:

The ta always changes their minds last minute. The (C) getting R46's was most likely a last minute decision. There are other people who also have very credible sources. You guys keep dickriding on one person giving information about the (B) and (G). Nothing is official yet. This is basically a proposal and nothing more. I bet a month from now they will change their mind. If there's still 222 R32's left in the system post R179's its better to split them. The (A) can handle them, 8 sets should be good enough. 

Had the decision to make the (C) full length not been made as part of the SAP, it would have become full-length once the R211 come in. It was just moved up, made possible by keeping R32s longer.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:27 PM, R32 3838 said:

Logic doesn't exist in this thread. 

Everyone is giving a logical reason why putting R32's on the (B) wouldn't be a good idea. And someone else just explained why. Turning them at court would f**k up (N),(Q) and (R) service if they were to get rerouted via tunnel. 

The only rumor that is going strong right now is the (G) getting R32's and i heard these from 2 very credible sources that are well known.

I remember the time everyone gave me shit for saying the R44's were gonna retire and 3 years of getting flamed for saying R32's will be on the (J) / (Z). And guess what both happend.

I remember when people with inside info was saying the (M) was getting R32's in September of 2016 but guess what ta changed their minds last minute. 

So don't be saying oh and if they were to pop up i'll be the first to post it. Now a days you foamers are cut throat for those exclusives. So i doubt i'll be the first one. 

Im just gonna wait and see whats gonna happen.

Why are your credible sources not subject to the possible changes that my credible sources are subject to?

On 12/19/2017 at 7:00 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

I've read all these arguments before about the insistence of the advocation of R32's on the B and my opposition.  It doesn't matter about the rare event.  NYCT takes actions to avoid those rare events.  The solution is simple: No R32's on the B.  If c/r's opening doors outside of a station is a rare event, they wouldn't be pointing to boards and the cabs having door enablers for the t/o to push either!  

Having R32's on the Brighton Line would afford some great photos and videos.  That's why some of you want them on the B for this reason only.

On another topic: I thought by now CI was going to have R46's and Jamaica was going to have the R160's from CI?  I guess "the insiders" were wrong about that one too!

This isn't advocation. I am not advocating the plan. This is what is planned. I am just sharing what is planned, not advocating for it. There is a difference. I completely understand the reasons you have mentioned.

On 12/20/2017 at 12:54 AM, R32 3838 said:

Like i said things can change, but the majority of the R32's if this happens is supposed to be for the (G). That's the rumor, if the (B) gets em i heard 1-2 sets and thats it. There's only going to be 150-180 R32's remaining (that's also a rumor). But if they don't change the confg. Of the R179 order and the (G) is 480' we will have 32.5 8 car trains (260 cars) on top of 92 R160A-1 cars. Thats alot of 8 car trains. Then the (G) wouldn't need any R32's.  This R179 assignment is very interesting and could lead to an extension of a eastern division line or a new line ( brown (R) type line) 

Hopefully they change the R179 order (thats also a rumor.)

One major factor is that 207th st barn can't fit a full length 600 foot train. That's one major reason why they had all the R32's there post 2010 cuts. They were supposed to get R46's to replace the R32's but the R44 issue prevented that. 

Like bill said car equipment has to make the final decision and not for nothing bill has 30 plus years with nyct and the way you guys are responding to him is quite disrespectful. Everyone has an opinion so learn how to act instead of going off over subway car assignments. If the tube wasn't an issue everyone would agree that the (B) would be the perfect option for the R32's since they (B) runs 5 days a week. At the end of the day we could be right or wrong. 

Learn how to act?

On 12/19/2017 at 7:27 PM, R32 3838 said:

Logic doesn't exist in this thread. 

Everyone is giving a logical reason why putting R32's on the (B) wouldn't be a good idea. And someone else just explained why. Turning them at court would f**k up (N),(Q) and (R) service if they were to get rerouted via tunnel. 

The only rumor that is going strong right now is the (G) getting R32's and i heard these from 2 very credible sources that are well known.

I remember the time everyone gave me shit for saying the R44's were gonna retire and 3 years of getting flamed for saying R32's will be on the (J) / (Z). And guess what both happend.

I remember when people with inside info was saying the (M) was getting R32's in September of 2016 but guess what ta changed their minds last minute. 

So don't be saying oh and if they were to pop up i'll be the first to post it. Now a days you foamers are cut throat for those exclusives. So i doubt i'll be the first one. 

Im just gonna wait and see whats gonna happen.

The  getting them sounds more believable since there's no issue stopping the R32's from being on the (G).

The  is the problem.

Everyone gave a logical answer on the  issue. And if CI gets the R32's we all know the  is using most of them. Not the (B). 

The whole idea is to give the  extra cars. The  wouldn't even need to have R32's unless they need a train to do a trip or two. 

But the dickriding has to stop, NYCT changes their plans and nothing is official. Stop putting all your eggs in one basket because say if they say no and keep them on the  and  lines. Then ya'll gonna get mad. 

You are the only person using obscene language here.

Like i said its all up to car equipment,  like you said you are showing what is planned not approved . If car equipment approves then so be it. You took all this time to reply to every single post i made shows that you must have alot of time on your hands.

43 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Like i said its all up to car equipment,  like you said you are showing what is planned not approved . If car equipment approves then so be it. You took all this time to reply to every single post i made shows that you must have alot of time on your hands.

What does my having time have anything to do with this?

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Operations Planning. I have spoken with a few other people in that department.

The folks in Operations Planning is just one department that is part of the final decision.  Car Equipment has a bigger stake  and nobody here has inside information about how they feel about w which cars go to which yard.

14 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The folks in Operations Planning is just one department that is part of the final decision.  Car Equipment has a bigger stake  and nobody here has inside information about how they feel about w which cars go to which yard.

The T/Os from Astoria are being retrained as we speak.

Damn can you guys just put this to rest? The R179 should hopefully be done testing any day now. Whatever the MTA decides can be changed as always. Yes we can have R32 (B) s and R46 (W) s. It's just a matter of when and if it will happen.

Personally I can believe the R32 assignments, but I heard the same thing about the R46s over a year ago and where are they now? Everything should just be taken with a grain of salt and all opinions should be kept to yourself if you want to whine and bitch like a foamer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized I forgot to account for spares before, so here's a new one using current spare ratios.

(J)/(Z): 15 R179s, 5 R160s

(G): 13 R179s

(B): 13 R32s, 4 R42s, and 8 R68s

(N)/(W): 5 R46s, 23 R68s, 5 R179s

(Q): 3 R68s, 18 R160s

(C): R46

(E)/(F)/(R): All R160

This would leave 3 eight car R32s, and 9 8 car R160s which could both be added to the (G) depending on how much they want to up service. (The (G) uses 13 trains now, the scenario above assumes they don't add any new trains, just make them all eight cars (Adding all of them would allow for double the current service))

Also there should be 7 or so trains taken off of the (L), and those can be put on the (J)(M)(Z) since if I recall correctly you can put one or two more trains over the Willy B.

Archived