What do you do in life

mark1447

Guest Charles
So are you a Philly or Mets fan? I'm a little confused. :confused:

I (Charles) am a Mets fan.

R32 B Train (Whose name also happens to be Charles) is a Phillies fan.

Two people with the same name are fans of two rival baseball teams.

It's all right, I get confused around names too. :P

Along with Charles I'm a freshman at Hunter College High School. I don't really have many hobbies but am looking into more. I enjoy photography and have been working on my skills since last year and and currently saving up for a new camera (which will actually go to my sister so I get her old one and a new empty memory card) since the other one is from 2006 and has limited features. But I try to make the most out of my camera, since good photographers can make the most out of any camera, right?

Anyway, I take pics of mostly the subway but want to expand them to more bus photos and much more when it comes to non-transit related photos. I write for the school's art/music paper and want to join the main paper next semester as well. I'll also join debate team next year. Previously I was saving up for an electric bass but gave up on that since it's kind of too late to start on that. When I grow up I want to do something either in biology or chemistry.

I'm a sophmore at Fordham Prep. Is anyone here from Fordham Prep?

Anyway, I have tons o' hobbies. Besides being a NYC Subway fan, I'm also a Tokyo Subway fan (and I think I'm becoming a Hong Kong MTR fan too). Just like JJr142, aviation is also something that I drool over. I'm an Airbus fan, and my favorite aircraft is the A340 (all variations), but I also like the B777-300ER. I play tennis, sing (getting better), dance (just started), play videogames and computer games (Flight Simulator 9, Sim City 4), and swim (need improvement, but I wanna get good enough to do the Olympics in the future). I also like photography, and I'm getting my D80 soon. I take pictures of—anything pretty much: trains, planes, skyscrapers, people...and so on. I like buildings, particularly tall skyscrapers and apartments (I can never get tired of those tall apartment towers in Hong Kong, especially Chelsea Court, The Harbourside, Metro Harbourview). I am also a Japanophile, because I love anime, manga, the Japanese language, culture, and Japanese transportation (Did I mention I'm a Tokyo Subway fan? :D). As for languages, I know English (obviously), Tagalog (barely, Pinoy pride!), I'm teaching myself Japanese, I'm learning Mandarin in school, and you won't believe this but...*drum roll*

J'etudier francais en lycee!!! LOLOLOL

(I study French in high school) I guess we have to make a French version of NYCT forums :rolleyes:...

I'm also getting a job as a barista at some Starbucks in the Upper East Side.

With regards to the future, I want to go to Columbia University and study medicine. I wanted to become an airline pilot, but the education for that is waaay expensive. So ya, that's my life.

I'm an engineer on a tugboat based out of Staten Island.

Im interested in all forms of transportation, although aviation doesnt really excite me.

I have worked in heavy trucking as a wrench twirler and as a driver also; still maintain my CDL license.

On my off time, I like spending time with my family, camping and long distance

motorcycle trips.

Well Im gonna be a sophmore at UMiami in the Spring with a Major in Business Adminstration (I couldn't do the St.Johns thing anymore)...other than my whole interest trains...me and my friends through house parties alot (Jamaica Hills-Briarwood area) and as for hobbies I don't have any really other than collecting trains...I play baseball once in a bluemoon w/friends, but thats about it. If im not in Queens, im with my aunt in Bayonne :-/ (no offense to Jersey PPL)

My plans after college is to get a job with NJ Transit, LIRR or MNRR in the operations management department...with the goal of eventually making my way to the top. Despite the fact that I really wanna work in the NYC transit area...I also wouldn't mind Metra,L.A. Metrolink or other growing rail systems

Im also open to working for a fortune 500 company as well

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Junior year History major at Hunter College, and I'm planning to go to graduate school for History, although I have no idea what I want to do after school. I would love to get a job with the NYHS eventually, or maybe a job with the MTA archives if I could swing it.

I'm an avid writer, and I'm currently working on my first book.

I love the German language and culture, everything from Bismarck to Kafka to Die Fantastischen Vier (they're a really funny, silly German group that I like, and I would recommend if you would ever like to mix it up). I'm not fluent yet, but I certainly am proud of my ability to guide lost German tourists around the subway!

Music is a pretty big part of my life, I absolutely love going to concerts but when I am in a break from them (as I am currently), I'm content to just groove along with whatever is in my headphones. Ska and Indie forever!

And, of course, I love the best baseball team in the world: the Yankees! haha :cool:

Is that true that I read in the forms that people in the MTA does not like people who like trains or want to be a subway driver or a subway conductor? Too me that is very odd because the MTA should be happy that people as kids like me want to be a subway condcutor or a train driver and when you grow up you are going into the MTA.

Just do what pretty much everyone else did: don't tell them squat. It's none of their business what you like to do in your spare time.

Just do what pretty much everyone else did: don't tell them squat. It's none of their business what you like to do in your spare time.

As long as it doesn't affect your job. I know most Class 1 railroads frown upon railfans working for them since most of the time they are out railfaning instead of doing their jobs.

The MTA has always been a pretentious and condescending agency. Fortunately, the WMATA embraces railfans. They even have videos on their website showing what it's like to be a train operator.

Hi Y2 Juilo,

Yes as with ANY jobs as long as it does not affect your job then it is OK. Oh yes if people are not doing their job then yes MTA has the right to be mad at people not doing their what they are suppose to do. I mean the MTA pays you to work not to have fund and games at job. I mean if you were the boss right and you see people not doing their work how would feel? If I was the boss I would feel mad because it represent that I hire unqualify workers and they are not working. I think you would feel like OMG I am just paying people my money and people are not doing their work.

Mike

The MTA has always been a pretentious and condescending agency. Fortunately, the WMATA embraces railfans. They even have videos on their website showing what it's like to be a train operator.

Wow how do you know so much about the MTA? You mean they don't care about people and they are not compassionate if one day their employees are sick and cannot go to work. I am talking about sick as in health issues.

Mike

Wow how do you know so much about the MTA? You mean they don't care about people and they are not compassionate if one day their employees are sick and cannot go to work. I am talking about sick as in health issues.

Mike

Um...no.

The TA essentially lets you know that if you can't do the job, there are 100 others willing to take your place.

Um...no.

The TA essentially lets you know that if you can't do the job, there are 100 others willing to take your place.

HI Zman,

OK I see. What happens if you have RA but you are taking medication. They still will let you do the job right? I just wanted to know because I have RA and it should not effect me doing the job.

Mike

HI Zman,

OK I see. What happens if you have RA but you are taking medication. They still will let you do the job right? I just wanted to know because I have RA and it should effect me doing the job.

Mike

Considering that you have RA and that the job involves a lot of standing and walking between cars, it is very unlikely that the TA will hire you for the position knowing that you have RA. Understand that I am not a doctor so my opinion isn't based on whatever position the TA indeed will take.

However, the TA would hire you for a non-safety sensitive position such as Cleaner, Station Agent, or Property Protection Agent; but, those titles all have separate exams.

Hi Zman,

OK I do a lot of standing at my current job and walking a lot. But I really want to be a conductor and that is my dream job when I was little like I said. So during the medical test or drug test do I have to tell them my illness or not because I really want to do the job and I am not just saying that.

Thanks

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

i am a high school student who is indeed a senior about to graduate.i enjoy heavy metal music and writing poetry on a stressful day or time to tune it all out.i am 18yrs old and i like to also chill with my friends like almost all the time for some reason which i have no clue about.i sometimes railfan if there is a railfan window available to look through while listening to heavy metal basically.i am planning on attend devry college after high school to study criminal justice to be a police officer cus its a job i like and what i want to do.i think that the sound of being a cop is interesting to me in a way.

Archived