East 177th Street is coming back

GreatOne2k

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1709698&GUID=9518C471-1983-4D22-82B5-15CE7EF4D9A4

1. The local law goes into effect next week (City Charter Rule Adopted after 30 days)

2.  NYCDOT will place up new E 177 St signs by the (6) train station (and replace all of the Cross Bronx Expressway signs)

3. MTA will restore E 177 St to the (6) train station (they would have no reason not to, plus there is precedent for this in Queens). 

Those E 177 St - Parkchester R62A signs come in handy now.

What a 'Blissful' experience this will be lol. Queens has the (7) line  now the Bronx has the (6) line.

https://council.nyc.gov/press/2017/12/11/1552/

Amending the Name of Properties in the Bronx

Introduction 270sponsored by Council Member Annabel Palma, would permanently change the name of two thoroughfares in the Borough of the Bronx to East 177th Street, and amends the New York City Map accordingly.

“The renaming of part of the Cross Bronx Service Road is a logical amendment that my constituents have long sought. This change is emblematic of our city’s commitment to addressing all concerns, no matter the magnitude,” said Council Member Annabel Palma.

3 minutes ago, DailyDose said:

Why was it changed in the first place?

To become the service roads of the Cross Bronx Expressway, like how Van Wyck Boulevard became Van Wyck Expressway. Bruckner Boulevard remained the same when it became the service roads of the Bruckner Expressway.

20 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

To become the service roads of the Cross Bronx Expressway, like how Van Wyck Boulevard became Van Wyck Expressway. Bruckner Boulevard remained the same when it became the service roads of the Bruckner Expressway.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, P3F said:

Considering the station isn't currently named based on the streets in the area, it might not be really necessary to change its name.

For historical reasons it would be necessary to change the name to either E 177 St - Parkchester or Parkchester - E 177 St

The station would likely be labeled as "Parkchester - E 177 Street", much as it was in decades past.

It's funny how we've come full circle on this name. On a side note, the automated announcements for the station will once again be correct after so many years of being wrong, not that we'll hear it any time soon.

The exit signs at the station since renovation have had E 177 Street on them, good thing MTA did that.

The previous station signage was "E 177 St - Parkchester" , the map signage was "Parkchester - E 177 St".

Just like "42 St - Grand Central" in station and "Grand Central - 42 St" on the map.

23 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

I think this is stupid, because E. 177 St. was always the ONLY numbered street in that area. There is no 176 or 178 St. nearby, for instance. Just meaningless nostalgia.

Other numbered streets by Rosedale Avenue include E 172 St,  E 174 St, and E 180 St (further up near E Tremont Av).  Past Beach Avenue E 177 St will be the only numbered street in the area. 

It makes sense because many people along the Cross Bronx still use "E 177 St" as their address. If you see the video for the Parks and Recreation meeting it would clear up confusion over the naming of the street.

This is also why MTA no longer removes historical names from the subway stations.

177 left? That's news to me. The rollsigns and 142 announcements always said "Parkchester: East 177th St" as long as I've been working here, and I last worked the (6) maybe a week ago......

Now, does anyone know why they dropped "Bryant Park" from the 5th Ave (7) station?

1 hour ago, Snowblock said:

Now, does anyone know why they dropped "Bryant Park" from the 5th Ave (7) station?

I was there a few days ago, and the platform & pillar signs all said "5 Av - Bryant Park."

4 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Other numbered streets by Rosedale Avenue include E 172 St,  E 174 St, and E 180 St (further up near E Tremont Av).  Past Beach Avenue E 177 St will be the only numbered street in the area. 

It makes sense because many people along the Cross Bronx still use "E 177 St" as their address. If you see the video for the Parks and Recreation meeting it would clear up confusion over the naming of the street.

This is also why MTA no longer removes historical names from the subway stations.

It always seemed silly, because it leaves the numbered street grid, which is to the west, and cuts across a new grid (and you can see where it  swallows 172nd and 173rd, which have entered the new grid.

Don't know why they extended it like that to begin with, and didn't know they had officially changed it.

Funny, as there's the little pocket of numbers between the Hutchinson and Bruckner by Pelham Pk. (194th-197th), and Edgewater Park (near Throgs Neck) has its own numbered avenues, including another 3rd Ave!)

2 hours ago, Snowblock said:

177 left? That's news to me. The rollsigns and 142 announcements always said "Parkchester: East 177th St" as long as I've been working here, and I last worked the (6) maybe a week ago......

Somebody with a say dictated that the "(E. 177 St)" designation on the R142A strip maps have a sticker put over it to read "Parkchester" only. Those cars been gone for a little while from the (6), but that was actually something they put effort into changing. Always seemed pointless, especially keeping the announcements. 

On 1/4/2018 at 7:07 PM, GreatOne2k said:

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1709698&GUID=9518C471-1983-4D22-82B5-15CE7EF4D9A4

1. The local law goes into effect next week (City Charter Rule Adopted after 30 days)

2.  NYCDOT will place up new E 177 St signs by the (6) train station (and replace all of the Cross Bronx Expressway signs)

3. MTA will restore E 177 St to the (6) train station (they would have no reason not to, plus there is precedent for this in Queens). 

Those E 177 St - Parkchester R62A signs come in handy now.

What a 'Blissful' experience this will be lol. Queens has the (7) line  now the Bronx has the (6) line.

https://council.nyc.gov/press/2017/12/11/1552/

Amending the Name of Properties in the Bronx

Introduction 270sponsored by Council Member Annabel Palma, would permanently change the name of two thoroughfares in the Borough of the Bronx to East 177th Street, and amends the New York City Map accordingly.

“The renaming of part of the Cross Bronx Service Road is a logical amendment that my constituents have long sought. This change is emblematic of our city’s commitment to addressing all concerns, no matter the magnitude,” said Council Member Annabel Palma.

I don't see anything in the links that requires the (MTA) to rename the Parkchester station.

1 minute ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Renaming is not necessary because the legislation doesn't require it.

It is necessary to complete the 'Blissful' restoration though. MTA will still likely do it though (they weren't required to do it for the (7) train stations and they still did). They have exit signs reading "Hugh Grant Circle, Westchester Avenue, E 177 Street" in the station already (and have for the past few years) .

22 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I don't see anything in the links that requires the (MTA) to rename the Parkchester station.

I also said there is precedent for MTA restoring original station names, look at what they are doing in Queens. They aren't required to keep those old names, though they would probably get a lot of complaints if they removed them now

15 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

It is necessary to complete the 'Blissful' restoration though. MTA will still likely do it though (they weren't required to do it for the (7) train stations and they still did). They have exit signs reading "Hugh Grant Circle, Westchester Avenue, E 177 Street" in the station already (and have for the past few years) .

No, renaming is not necessary because there is nothing service-related about it. Its only purpose would be to avoid hurting some politician's feelings. 

As for the (7) stations in Queens, that was also totally unnecessary, especially since the secondary names no longer exist in the official City Map. "Living in the Past" was a catchy song by Jethro Tull, but it's a lousy way to run a transit system or establish public policy.

42 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

No, renaming is not necessary because there is nothing service-related about it. Its only purpose would be to avoid hurting some politician's feelings. 

As for the (7) stations in Queens, that was also totally unnecessary, especially since the secondary names no longer exist in the official City Map. "Living in the Past" was a catchy song by Jethro Tull, but it's a lousy way to run a transit system or establish public policy.

Rawson, Lowery, and Bliss show up on street signs outside of the stations (while not on the City's official maps, the City does consider that to be official). Bliss Street does exist on the City's official map as a secondary name "46 St / Bliss St" inside Sunnyside Gardens since 1982. Lincoln and Fisk don't exist in any capacity.

In any case when people along the Cross Bronx still use "East 177th Street" as their address, reverting back to the previous name makes sense, some use both names, like this link below

http://opendatany.com/corporation.php?id=4661646

On 1/5/2018 at 7:25 PM, Snowblock said:

177 left? That's news to me.....

Same here....

When I first saw the thread title, I said to myself "coming back? where the hell did it go"...

Thought it had (still) been Parkchester E. 177th....

5 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

....In any case when people along the Cross Bronx still use "East 177th Street" as their address, reverting back to the previous name makes sense, some use both names, like this link below

http://opendatany.com/corporation.php?id=4661646

Bad example....That address isn't "along the Cross Bronx" though, that address is on "E. 177th st." itself....

...and what do you mean by "some use both names"? Because in that same example, that "1954 Cross Bronx Equities Inc." is the name of the establishment.... It isn't an example of it using (E. 177th st) or (Cross Bronx expwy.) as their address.....

18 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Same here....

When I first saw the thread title, I said to myself "coming back? where the hell did it go"...

Thought it had (still) been Parkchester E. 177th....

Bad example on two fronts:

1] That address isn't "along the Cross Bronx" though, that address is on "E. 177th st." itself....

2] The name of the establishment is "1954 Cross Bronx Equities Inc"; that's not an example of the business using (E. 177th st) & (Cross Bronx expwy.) as their address.....

1960 East 177th Street is also 1960 Cross Bronx Expressway. Any listed East 177th Street address 1700 to about 4299 is along the service road. That map is wrong, the address range is 1100 (West Farms Depot) to 1129 (Joseph's Auto Center). 1130-1199 are unassigned to any building there.

Check the "addresses on this lot"

https://www.realdirect.com/e/1954.EAST-177-STREET.10472/

https://www.realdirect.com/e/1954.CROSS-BRONX-EXPRESSWAY.10472/

https://www.realdirect.com/e/1960.EAST-177-STREET.10472/

https://www.realdirect.com/e/1960.CROSS-BRONX-EXPRESSWAY.10472/

6 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Do the secondary names of the Rockaway stations (with the exception of 67th-Arverne By the Sea) have any purpose anymore? I know that 98th doesn't since Playland is long gone.

Some of the stations have the names of the neighborhoods in which the stations are located in (Beach 25 Street-Wavecrest, Beach 36 Street-Edgemere, Beach 105 Street-Seaside).

Archived