Which subway car do you prefer?

Theoverachiever

1 hour ago, Theoverachiever said:

I haven't looked in other thread honestly I actually never sat and really gone through all of them but w.e

even if you haven't read through them, this would be a perfectly fine question for random thoughts topic iinm. or use the search bar...

Doesn't anyone here want to know exactly why someone is fond of a particular car class? Saying that I love the R32s is just that–a statement. Personally, I prefer the R32s because I get an overall feeling of peace when I hear the Train Operator switching points on the master controller or decreasing brake pressure by thrusting the brake handle forward, resulting in that wonderful hissing sound. You might say, "Well, what about other SMEE-type car classes? They operate in a similar fashion, so what's the difference?" That "difference" comes with the experience of having been on many other SMEE-type equipment trains and feeling that they don't compare to the R32s. If I were born in a previous generation years ago, I might've said that my favorite car class would've been the R9s. To me, operating SMEE equipment is an art.

3 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Doesn't anyone here want to know exactly why someone is fond of a particular car class? Saying that I love the R32s is just that–a statement. Personally, I prefer the R32s because I get an overall feeling of peace when I hear the Train Operator switching points on the master controller or decreasing brake pressure by thrusting the brake handle forward, resulting in that wonderful hissing sound. You might say, "Well, what about other SMEE-type car classes? They operate in a similar fashion, so what's the difference?" That "difference" comes with the experience of having been on many other SMEE-type equipment trains and feeling that they don't compare to the R32s. If I were born in a previous generation years ago, I might've said that my favorite car class would've been the R9s. To me, operating SMEE equipment is an art.

I hate R44/46/68 because of the locked doors - I’ve been trapped in an R46 when ordered to evacuate because of the locks.

R68s just look ugly - it’s the wide bottom.

Whereas the R11s with the circular side windows remind me of The Jetsons - 60s futuristic styling.

And the Redbirds just looked like trains that came to work and dgaf what was in their way.

i think the model closest to the R11 and R32 was the R38 - had that decoration around the route indicator on the front of the train, I think - it just looked elegantly artistic.

Whereas these NTTs are nice, but they look like function was more important than form. Hopefully the R211s get some form to go along with the function - part of the fascination with the subway for me was the variety of it - it seemed each route had a different model car. With NTTs looking cookie-cutter, the system seems bland now.

Even Toyota has different bodies for all the cars using the Camry’s platform, and even with so many Toyotas using the same V6 block, the tuning and the output is so different between Toyotas using 2GR/3GR blocks and Lexuses using 2GR/3GR blocks that even though you may know your ES350 has the same  engine as the Camry V6, you can tell it’s different.

if NTTs just had different lights or colors or windows, I could be impressed, but nah.

Guys, two things:

1) Stop backseat moderating. If there's an issue with a post or thread, let us handle it.

2) In an effort to prevent people from just using this thread to bump their post count, explain why you like a particular car class. Any subsequent posts that do not follow this rule will be removed.

On the B division, I prefer the R46s and R68s for long outdoor journeys, since they have perpendicular seats from which you can look out the window.

Underground, my favorite cars would have to be the R32s, simply due to the "cool factor", followed by the R143/160/179s. 

I don't have a preference between the current IRT cars; anything that runs and is clean is fine.

Why I prefer the New Technology Trains (R160A/160Bs, R143s, R142/142As, and R188s): great, fast, reliable cars with low breakdown rates, bright interiors, lots of cool features (clear automated announcements, LED displays inside and out, LCD and LED signs signs, and FIND system, strip maps,), and good looking inside and out. They have greatly upgraded every train they run on and make riders and train crew, who love the cab features, feel so happy.

Why I like the R32s: oldest cars in the system, but their structurally durable car bodies have allowed them to last well past the average life expectancy of a subway car and outlive five car classes built after them. Fast and lightweight and they are the only "B" Divisions with the old fashion side signs, box shape car design, bright interiors, high comfy bench seating, and clean rail fan window. Unfortunately, they do break down a lot, so unlike other R32 lovers, I know they have to retire sooner or later.

Why I liked the Redbirds: am a fan of the color red (it was nice to see other colors besides stainless steel silver) and enjoyed the flickering lights and bright, unique interiors, but they had to retire when they did.

Why I hate the R68/68As: used to be great, but now suck. So fat that they can't go very fast, break down frequently, air-conditioning is always broken or leaking, side signs and interior walls are scratched up, damaged or dirty, and cannot walk between cars, posing a safety hazard during an emergency.

Why I hate the R62/62As: like the R68/68As, they used to be great, but now suck, especially on the (6), besides losing my two favorite automated announcements. Interiors are too dark and scratched up, seats are too tiny, air-conditioners barely work,  doors are too narrow, and announcements are garbled. 

Why I hate the R46s: fat-looking, slow, dark interiors, dull and dirty exteriors, cannot walk between cars, and breaking down way too often.

Why I completely hated the R44s: biggest failures in New York City Transit history; fat, slow, ugly, and had too many mechanical, structural, and technical problems. Every time I rode on them, something had to malfunction, from the doors to the lights to the air-conditioning, the list goes on, hence I avoided them at all costs until they finally retired.

Why I really hate the R42s: structurally and cosmetically horrendous inside and out with rusty car bodies, scratched up dirty windows, grafitti-tagged interiors, and uncomfortable seats. The only thing that keeps me from going insane when I ride them is laughing at the miserable look on everyone else's faces.

Why I hated the R40/40Ms: though fast with good air-conditioning and interiors, their car bodies were rusting, seats were uncomfortable, and ride was bumpy. The slanted fronts looked hideous too.

Why I hated the R38s: rotting car bodies and dark, and dirty interiors. I have been to public restrooms that were cleaner than them.

Archived