Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
nostalgia

LIB Roll Sign on Ebay

I found this 1974 LIB roll sign on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1974-New-York-Nassau-County-Bus-Side-Destination-Roll-Sign-Subway/282779923720?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I wrote down all the readings and I noticed missing destinations:

Elmont, Green Acres, Long Beach, Far Rockaway, and Lynbrook .

Is it possible this roll sign is from Mitchell Depot and the others are serviced by RVC Depot?

I'd guess RVC considering areas you listed aren't very far from RVC. Also the fact that quite a few  readings on that signs are from the south shore make me think RVC.

But then again it could always be some north/south route sent out of Mitchell...

I don't know when Mitchell Field opened. The bottom of the sign reads "MSBA Side Sign 1974 Uniondale."

I don't know if Uniondale means the old Hempstead Bus Depot or Mitchell Field.

Floral Park is a destination but not Green Acres and Valley Stream. This suggests there was a different opposite end for Floral Park in 1974.

2 hours ago, nostalgia said:

I don't know when Mitchell Field opened. The bottom of the sign reads "MSBA Side Sign 1974 Uniondale."

I don't know if Uniondale means the old Hempstead Bus Depot or Mitchell Field.

Floral Park is a destination but not Green Acres and Valley Stream. This suggests there was a different opposite end for Floral Park in 1974.

The n2 used to terminate at Tulip and Covert Avenues in Floral Park before it got eliminated and brought back as the Elmont Flexi, which now stops at Meacham and Hempstead Turnpike. Floral Park is technically south of Jericho Turnpike, North of Hempstead Turnpike, and west of New Hyde Park Road.

Mitchel Field is located in Uniondale. The same goes for Roosevelt Field.

Edited by NY1635

Yes, but Elmont isn't on the roll sign so a different destination is the other end of the Floral Park Route. Remember, the roll sign is from 1974.

8 hours ago, nostalgia said:

Yes, but Elmont isn't on the roll sign so a different destination is the other end of the Floral Park Route. Remember, the roll sign is from 1974.

I don't think any route terminated at Elmont in 1974.

15 hours ago, nostalgia said:

I did some digging and found an old map of the bus system from the past. This comes directly from an old post on subchat. The map shows the n1 terminating at Elmont and the n2 serving Floral Park part time. I don't know if Hempstead Turnpike was treated as a major transfer point back then since theyforced to use the n6 for Jamaica like they do now.

hu0p7d.jpg

Edited by NY1635
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

I did some digging and found an old map of the bus system from the past. This comes directly from an old post on subchat. The map shows the n1 terminating at Elmont and the n2 serving Floral Park part time. I don't know if Hempstead Turnpike was treated as a major transfer point back then since theyforced to use the n6 for Jamaica like they do now.

hu0p7d.jpg

Can you scan the top half of the map?

22 hours ago, nostalgia said:

Thanks very much.

23 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Here's the whole map courtesy of sub chat. There's nothing east of Glen Cove Road, or North of Hicksville on it.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=293309&p=1#293311

It looks like Floral Park is part of a loop.

The rollsign has a destination "Merrick Loop" which is on the map. I never knew there was a Merrick Loop.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, NY1635 said:

Here's the whole map courtesy of sub chat. There's nothing east of Glen Cove Road, or North of Hicksville on it.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=293309&p=1#293311

From this map you can see:

• The proposed routing of NY-135 north of Jericho Turnpike
  • The proposed routing of the Bethpage Parkway extension.
  • N3 went to Hempstead via Hempstead Tpke
  • N1 to Green Acres, N5  Jamaica - Hewitt 
  • N21 Flushing - Glen Cove, No N20, had to transfer to N25 to get to Greatneck LIRR.
  • etc.