What is the most rarest catch you've ever gotten in the subway?

Coney Island Av

I would really like to hear the rarest catch you've gotten in the subway. I mean, anything is possible. From a (D) to Far Rockaway to a straight up R68 on the (R), that's how things get to be rare. 

I'll start us off- 

(2) via Lex

(Q) via Sea Beach and West End

(F) to Euclid and (G) to Coney Island

Im only 14, and almost never rode the subway until I was 12, so I haven't seen much unique stuff yet. The only thing I could classify as unique and rare for me was seeing and riding a Coney island bound (D) on (A)/(C) tracks at Fulton St. last year in February, which im sure happens occasionally.

16 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Im only 14, and almost never rode the subway until I was 12, so I haven't seen much unique stuff yet. The only thing I could classify as unique and rare for me was seeing and riding a Coney island bound (D) on (A)/(C) tracks at Fulton St. last year in February, which im sure happens occasionally.

Happening this weekend, actually!

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I'm also 14 (Turing 15 in a few months) and the rarest catch for me was T/O's doing school car with an R46 & an R68. the R179 testing set. (D) train via 8 Avenue. An R68A (G) train. And an occasional R160 (R) train. 

I even rode an (F) train via Broadway from canal to Roosevelt 

1. Riding an (M) on the express track from Broadway Junction to Marcy Av (This GO took place during the week)

2. Weekend GO: (1) train to Utica in place of the (4). (About 10 or more years ago)

3. (S) Shuttle from Rockaway Park to Far Rockaway. (Caught this back in 2012; there was a GO with (A) service terminating at Howard Beach)

4. (J) Skipping Canal St and Bowery, passing by the abandoned platforms. 

5. R62A (2) train.

(E) via Culver Express

(D) via Culver Express (yesterday)

(G) through Jay st. 

R40M (F) 

(A) train long relays to 4th ave 9th st. via Culver Express (you can probably guess by now that I live on Culver)

R46 (G) to Coney Island (last year, so a nice throwback to the old days)

(6) to Bowling Green 

(5) to 86th street

18 hours ago, D to 96 St said:

I would really like to hear the rarest catch you've gotten in the subway. I mean, anything is possible. From a (D) to Far Rockaway to a straight up R68 on the (R), that's how things get to be rare. 

I'll start us off- 

(2) via Lex

(Q) via Sea Beach and West End

(F) to Euclid and (G) to Coney Island

A service change, referring to the latter is not rare and does not qualify as a good catch.

This thread sounds like fun... Hmm, off the top of my head:

(1): saw an R142 at 191th Street (it was a rerouted (2) train signed as a (1))

(3): rerouted to 137th Street

(4): R62A running in the Bronx, and when it was rerouted down to Flatbush Avenue

(5): to Woodlawn

(6): R142 to Pelham, there was another time when I saw a R62A from Westchester making its way to the Jerome Yard with all of its (6) signs and everything

(A): using R42

(B): rerouted to 96th Street - 2nd Avenue and rerouted via Culver

(C): using R42s

(D): rerouted to 96th Street - 2nd Avenue, another time when I randomly caught an R68A in the middle of the AM rush hour

(E): terminating at 34th Street - Herald Square, and rerouted up to 145th Street

(F): R46 via Broadway on a weekday, rerouted via Crosstown, rerouted via West End

(Q): rerouted via West End

I know some of these wouldn't be deemed "catches" or whatnot. but these are what I'm considering to be the most interesting and most memorable things I've seen for each line.

I have a few MORE catches to share with ya'll. Some of these were planned service changes, but I know these would rly won't be "catches" but it's the only ones I can think of.

(B): rerouted to 96 St

(D): R68A 

(E): to 34 St-Herald Square

(Q): R46

R33 De-Icer Car passing through Av H

R179s testing on the Brighton Line

R179s 3050-3053 transfer (Caught it at 14 St)

(4): R62A 

(2)(5): to New Lots/Utica

Would think a few  (4)/(5) and (6) trains skipping 86th St. over the years have to be some of the rarest. Very uncommon to see express stations skipped, but if you're a frequent enough rider during every kind of shitstorm, you catch it. I remember I was on an R46 along 6th that was severely delayed years ago, had side LCD signs set for the (M) but was originally an (F). That was a real mess, everybody was beyond confused. 

The rarest "catch" for myself out of plenty I would have to go with an R-46 (F) via Brighton going Coney Island bound back in 2012 possibly. Aside from that I wouldn't count weekend G.O's that happen several times throughout the year as rare such as the (F) to Euclid, (C) to 2nd Av etc(which is my fav G.O btw)

Going to school back in 2009 the train I was on wrong railed into Broadway Junction on the Manhattan bound (C) track from the Queens bound exp track and terminated.

R-160 (D) entering C.I in 2010 train had no ads yet brand new set.

R-32 (C) rerouted to Bedford Park as well as an R-46 (A) T/O took wrong lineup at 125th...

R32 (B) was rare but it ran nearly everyday in 09 and 2010.

(C) train re-routed to Queens Plaza, (E) rerouted to 168th via local.

Too many I can't recall without going through photos or videos. The rarest thing I've seen recently on YOUTUBE is the (M) re-routed to Euclid Av and the (E) via Culver Express that was a classy catch and photo wise an R-46 via Myrtle form the 70's.

Archived