What is the most rarest catch you've ever gotten in the subway?

Coney Island Av

On 1/13/2018 at 7:06 PM, D to 96 St said:

I would really like to hear the rarest catch you've gotten in the subway. I mean, anything is possible. From a (D) to Far Rockaway to a straight up R68 on the (R), that's how things get to be rare. 

I'll start us off- 

(2) via Lex

(Q) via Sea Beach and West End

(F) to Euclid and (G) to Coney Island

The (2) and (5) switch lines very often, so I wouldn't consider that rare . Now that the (Q) goes to 2nd Avenue, those (N) trains that head up there are labeled as (Q) s.

For me, the rarest I've seen were (R) trains over the Manhattan Bridge (the (Q) via Montague was common when I was younger), and an (F) train that became a (D) at West 4th Street. Also, the (J) shuttle from Essex Street to Prospect Park.

I once saw a (B) terminating at Queens Plaza.

I caught an R42 NIS (J) heading to the carwash at Jamaica at Forest Hills and ran from Union Tpke to the yard entrance to see it briefly.

I was once in an (R) that had a door manually open in the 60th Street Tunnel to let a worker on.

R68a (W) rerouted to 96th st.

R32 on the (A). (This was in 2014, so it was more rare to catch one than it is now.)

R68a on the (A).

R68 on the diamond <Q>, and also on the (N).

R160 on the (R). (not extremely rare)

R62a on the (4).

R179 on the (J) when they were testing them.

(R) train via Sea Beach for me not super rare since I live by the Sea Beach
(F) via West End
(D) via Culver

R160 (G) train

(Q) via West End and Sea Beach

(B) via Culver

(R) to 179th

(W) via West End (pre 2004)

(B) via West End (pre 2001)

brown (M) via original West End/4th Av/Montague

<Q> pre 2004

(V) pre 2010

(9) pre 2003

Redbird (2)(4)  trains pre 2001

(M) via Sea Beach 9/11 time

R68 (A) train

R44 (A) train

R46 (H) during Sandy

R110 B at the school in C.I yard

R32/40 slant/42 (N) train

R32 (F) tain

R40 slant/mod (B) train

R32 (Q) train

R38/R32 (E) train

R38 (A) train

NIS (7) R62 to Atlantic/Barclays via 4th Ave switching tracks to Manhattan Bridge

R46 (G) train

R42 and R40 slant (L) train (late 90s)

Once when I was 4 years old my brother was 7, he ran into a R68 (B) train via West End at 71st in the late 90s I chased him down but didn't make it and he got lost on the (B) so my mother told the MTA clerk and we got on a not in service full 8 car R68 (B) to ourselves just to find my brother. (I was enjoying the whole thing of course.) We took it all the way to C.I and then back to Bay Pkwy, where we found him, the MTA was about to shut down the West End because of this but he was found at Bay Pkwy and got to chill with the train operators in the booth at Bay Pkwy and got money, watched TV and was fed a tuna fish sandwich. I was pissed about that lol!! (thinking I should have been the one to get lost) haha!

I suppose some of the rare things I’ve caught:

(M) via 2nd Ave Line

R160 (G) got a few rides on it.

(M) Express via Queens Blvd. 

(R) the Queens Plaza short turn that recently happened in the G.O that caused the (E) (F) to terminate at 71st Ave which is also rare.

I think I caught an R46 on the (E) but I was young like around 8 so it’s faint. 

Catching an R160 on the (R) is not rare but catching a Siemens R160 from Coney Island is.

I also guess catching an R62A (4) from Brooklyn Bridge to 125th Street is also rare.

From my memory.

Recent: Weekday (Q) running on (F)

(L) Running  Express from Bedford Av to Union Sq due to late train.

Prevoius

(2) via (5)

(5) via (2)

(V) via (F)

(F) running express from 2nd Av to Smith-9th St.

(7) running express on local track

Weekday (D) running express on Sea Beach Line due to lateness.

(2) via old South Ferry Loop.

(5) via old South Ferry Loop.

(R) Express Queens Blvd

(7) Skip-stop due to late train.

(6) skip stop from Grand Central, 86th, 96th, 125th St (when I was living in 96th St area.

Although I personally haven't witnessed it myself, I'd consider seeing a set of in-service R62s or R62As on the (2) or (5) lines in The Bronx a very rare sight. With the Redbirds dominating the White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue lines before the R142s were introduced, I wonder if the R62s or R62As ever saw life on those lines on a regular basis.

I'm gonna try to remember 

(R) train terminating at Queens Plaza with the (E)(F) terminating at Forest Hills. I was so Glorified that weekend cause the (R) in my opinion is a crappy line.

A holiday train relayed near Queens Plaza

R68 (D) via 8 Av (I used it from Chambers to PABT) 

R68A (G) train (caught one today)

R142A (6) after the (7) got R188's. Vice versa with the R62A <7> train.

Cuomo (F) Train.

An r46 (R) Train stopping at 63 Dr with an R160 (R) train running express next to it.

R179 pilot set on the (J)

R160 (R) to 179 st.

The perfect Broadway Service  (F)(Q) express and (N)(R) local.

R46 (C) and R32 (A) back in 2012

(V) train back in 2007 or so. 

I don't remember much before 2010 cause I didn't really know the subway that well at the time.

Archived