What is the most rarest catch you've ever gotten in the subway?

Coney Island Av

Like 2 wkends ago i seen a least 3 sets on the(R)....And even last week when i was on the (N) during the afternoon i saw like 3 sets on the (R)...I mean they do pop up on the (R) not often cause they fleet is mainly r46s..But the (MTA) does use a set or 2 for the (R) despite the (E) (F) useing them...

On 3/8/2018 at 12:30 AM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

A set of R160s assigned to the (R) isn't that uncommon; I can recall seeing them on the (R) ocassionally, but it's not rare.

Right. R160s will show up occasionally on the (R) (I like when they do because they accelerate much better between the local stops), much like the R46s occasionally should up on the (F).

From late 2012 thru 2013, however, R160s were quite common on the (R), due to the Sandy-related tunnel reconstruction. Then it was back to mostly R46s once Montague reopened.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:00 AM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Yesterday, on Wednesday, March 7th, 2018, the White Plains Road line saw an exceptionally rare occurrence of 2 in-service rerouted (3) trains made up of R62 cars that terminated at East 180th Street. Like I've mentioned before, witnessing SMEE-type equipment in passenger service on the (2) or (5) is extremely unusual!

Now that is a rare occurrence. Usually (3) trains run light when they head up to the Bronx (239th St Yard) for the car wash. But in late 2001 thru 2002 (post-9/11 reconstruction), I found myself getting a (3) in service to and even from the Bronx on quite a few occasions. Same with in-service R62As on the (2)

But the rarest thing I ever rode was the R110A in service signed up as a (5) train. Only once in spring 1995 on my way to high school. The side and interior destination signs read “Listen For Announcements” the whole way, so the conductor announced the stations and transfers the old fashioned way.

An R40M and R40 slant coupled together in service on the (C) in 2009

An R32 and R42 coupled together in service on the (N) around 1999

R42 CI rebuild on the (A) around August/September 2007 right before they were retired

R38 (V) in 2004

A set of Corona R62A singles on the (1) (both ends had RFWs) around 2006. Ended up riding it up to 242nd down to South Ferry and back up. I remember the T/O and C/R getting into an argument at 242nd because the the C/R did not want to deal with the corner cabs. Also remember catching one of the last unlinked R62A sets on the (9) around 1999/early 2000.

I also recall a few sets of R46 popping up on the (E) during the summer of 2001

Pretty sure there's a few others that I can't recall at the moment.

Archived