Preliminary XD40 Assignments

The Real

That's great, looking forward to more New buses, was kind of hoping that I would see some XD'S coming to Staten island for the S79SBS,Those Next Gens have served there time here.Would love to see a change a little more Variety would be nice. I like the Novas here but would have loved to see XD's 2.Thank for always giving us great information as always very much appreciated

4 minutes ago, Gleasonbus7560 said:

That's great, looking forward to more New buses, was kind of hoping that I would see some XD'S coming to Staten island for the S79SBS,Those Next Gens have served there time here.Would love to see a change a little more Variety would be nice. I like the Novas here but would have loved to see XD's 2.Thank for always giving us great information as always very much appreciated

Give me a break.  The oldest buses on Staten Island are from 2009, not to mention that a lot of the new buses over the years have been going to Staten Island FIRST, then given as hand-me-downs to other depots. Time for the other depots to get their new fleet.  Staten Island does not need any new buses.  You got hundreds of new express buses a few years ago and plenty of brand new buses from 2015.  The depots listed above NEED new buses given that they have those old RTS buses. Assuming Staten Island is finally taking care of their buses now with Charleston online, they should be set for a few more years.

Give you a Break ,listen everybody is getting a piece of the pie my friend, we are getting more Nova's here ,I'm pretty updated on the info concerning the oldest buses are from2009,you ever ride the 79?.The 79 is getting New buses weather we think they deserve them or not

11 minutes ago, Gleasonbus7560 said:

Give you a Break ,listen everybody is getting a piece of the pie my friend, we are getting more Nova's here ,I'm pretty updated on the info concerning the oldest buses are from2009,you ever ride the 79?.The 79 is getting New buses weather we think they deserve them or not

It isn't about "deserving". You just want new buses there because you want "variety". <_<  I lived on Staten Island for years when we had buses with no air conditioning, busted shocks and buses that broke down constantly... Horrid conditions... Broken this and broken that. The fleet has come a long way.  You should be thankful for what you have now.  The fact that you're complaining about "diversity" is a minor issue. What's important is that the buses come promptly, have AC and other basic needs that the riding public needs.  All of the depots listed above truly NEED new buses. If you need so much diversity go fan other routes. As a paying rider, I'm happy to see the above depots finally getting buses that are long overdue, and I'm sure that those riding the lines will be happy as well.

If those next gens are beat up, it's likely because of the passengers tearing them apart... One thing I don't miss about Staten Island... We have fleet from 2009 in my neighborhood too, and they seem to be okay so apparently something is wrong on Staten Island. Not surprised...

your point is well taken ,Ive lived in Brooklyn all my life and lived near Ulmer Park Depot ,buses over there were no cream of the crop there either ,every part of the city has had there problems ,I'm not complaining about anything ,you seem to take what I said to bother you ,The first 40 years of my life I have traveled all over ,all kinds of Equipment ,Old Looks ,New Looks ,I don't argue over what Depot Needs what ,Ive been on buses that had missing windows no Air Conditioning,didnt really intend on getting anyone excited here.Im not complaining about Diversity ,I don't need buses to give me Diversity.

2 hours ago, The Real said:

While allotments are not available, the following Depots are scheduled for batches of the 7484-7850 batch of XDs...

JAMAICA, QUILL, GRAND AV, FRESH POND, ULMER PARK, FLATBUSH AND EAST NEW YORK.

NYMTA_NFI_7484.jpg

So, the natural assumption (not trying to jump the gun here) would be that any remaining Orion VII CNG's in the system will be renumbered down the line to accommodate the XD's taking those fleet numbers? 

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

So, the natural assumption (not trying to jump the gun here) would be that any remaining Orion VII CNG's in the system will be renumbered down the line to accommodate the XD's taking those fleet numbers? 

Or retired, whichever comes first.

3 hours ago, Gleasonbus7560 said:

I'd rather have the buses run on time more than new models. The new Novas are nice, but I'd take the rusty Orion V's if it meant the 40/44 or 42/52 got to the ferry before the damn yacht left.

7 hours ago, IAlam said:

I'm just going to cross my fingers that the MTA stops using those awful seats, and uses bigger ones found in the ENY XD40's.

The problem is that I'm not sure the ENY XD40s (7110-7139) and 7483 are equipped to handle the wiring for USB power stations unless the ports are put in the roof.

I’m really surprised that Jamaica is getting these buses too. I thought Casey Stengel was going to turn entirely in a New Flyer depot while Queens Village and Jamaica get the Orion VII’s.

Any word on whether or not the buses recently from 2013-2016, delivered in the old scheme getting repainted in the new scheme?

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m really surprised that Jamaica is getting these buses too. I thought Casey Stengel was going to turn entirely in a New Flyer depot while Queens Village and Jamaica get the Orion VII’s.

Any word on whether or not the buses recently from 2013-2016, delivered in the old scheme getting repainted in the new scheme?

With the order change, Stengel is probably going to end up with a share of the LFS or end up with nothing at all. We just have to wait and see when East New York can update us on the official assignments.

23 hours ago, East New York said:

The Orion V CNG's will all be gone when the XN60's go into service. The tanks on the newest of the buses (7685-7819) expire in 2019.

I'm going to do a full fleet review and future fleet plans soon.

V CNG, don't bring back my memories! 

But interesting, does seem a little premature for a lot of the best of those O7s and begs the question of how difficult recertification or new tanks would be. Is diesel conversion ever something considered for those buses? Would save us the whole TTC debacle that seems to have fallen through.

7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

.... I thought Queens was supposed to be LFS territory. Right now those plans are changing. Something to effect of 2011 and 2012 when Queens Village had XD40's before those shipped to Brooklyn. 

11 hours ago, TofuRails said:

With the order change, Stengel is probably going to end up with a share of the LFS or end up with nothing at all. We just have to wait and see when East New York can update us on the official assignments.

Right. At this time we don't really know what will happen. I am being told for the time being Stengel will keep what they have. They will probably end up with an Xcelsior like Quill to evaluate. Jamaica may now end up a Nova/Xcelsior depot which as I mentioned months ago was likely to happen with a couple depots in the future. There are so many different local bus models coming in (8 to be exact) that there is a scramble to see who needs what, when they need it, and the maintenance logistics of it all. Stengel was originally supposed to be an LFS/LFSA depot. However, it's not completely off the table. It's very easy to send the next wave of LFS and LFSA options to Stengel, and ship the XD40's and XD60's to other depots. On the other hand, because Bus company is all New Flyer for the foreseeable future, parts and storage is already in Queens. 

On 1/16/2018 at 2:01 PM, IAlam said:

I'm just going to cross my fingers that the MTA stops using those awful seats, and uses bigger ones found in the ENY XD40's.

15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I hate those seats. I feel like I'm gonna slip my way off the seat. IMO, they feel uncomfortable.

I'm not a fan of the angle, but they aren't too bad otherwise. As aemoreia mentioned it's a bit tough for these. However it is possible from the manufacturer. A retrofit on the other hand would be a pain. This seats are 4One Gemin series (test seats) and our standard equipment is American Seating Metropolitan series. Our Optional spec seating is 4One Angel which I bet 90% of you actually haven't even noticed. Here's the breakdown, and we will use the XD40's for reference:

Standard TA Spec - AS Metro - 4810-4891, 4893-4899, 7090-7109, 7140-7437, 7484-7850

Approved Optional TA Spec - 4One Angel - 7438-7482

Test & Evauation Spec - 4One Gemini - 4892, 7110-7139, 7483

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

V CNG, don't bring back my memories! 

But interesting, does seem a little premature for a lot of the best of those O7s and begs the question of how difficult recertification or new tanks would be. Is diesel conversion ever something considered for those buses? Would save us the whole TTC debacle that seems to have fallen through.

The thing is that even the best of them aren't so great according to maintenance records. They cost more to maintain that Orion first quoted, and they are very maintenance intensive. At one time they were going to be repowered, but MTA decided the cost did not make sense if they were not going to recertify the tanks, which is very expensive. Purchasing new replacement tanks is even more expensive than that, and would then Outlast the life of the actual bus platform if not rebuilt. Diesel conversation would actually be the most expensive of all. The entire engine/exhaust systems have to be replaced. Tanks removed, new HVAC's installed. That would be a major main and maintenance nightmare. 

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

.... I thought Queens was supposed to be LFS territory. Right now those plans are changing. Something to effect of 2011 and 2012 when Queens Village had XD40's before those shipped to Brooklyn. 

See first comment

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Gleasonbus7560 said:

They can easily wrap some Nova's and put them on the S79 and unwrap the hybrids and put them in local service.  

SI has the highest (best) average fleet age out of all the boroughs.

With that said, if you get these new XD's for the S79, I'm happy for you.

Thanks Bill from Maspeth,was just stating that it would be nice to see XD'S on the 79 or even Nova's which is gonna be the case sometime this year ,not saying other Depots shouldn't get there's first.When I ride a bus it just matters getting from point A to point B, I love the look of all the New buses coming in. The point of Staten island deserving anything is at least all other boro's have the Subway to travel on,there should be a modern fleet to travel on out here and yes the buses out here should be taken care of better than they are now in certain Depot out here.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Give me a break.  The oldest buses on Staten Island are from 2009, not to mention that a lot of the new buses over the years have been going to Staten Island FIRST, then given as hand-me-downs to other depots. Time for the other depots to get their new fleet.  Staten Island does not need any new buses.  You got hundreds of new express buses a few years ago and plenty of brand new buses from 2015.  The depots listed above NEED new buses given that they have those old RTS buses. Assuming Staten Island is finally taking care of their buses now with Charleston online, they should be set for a few more years.

As a commuter from NJ, I'd say Staten Island is good. I would say that their buses are on point, and are way better than NJT by a landslide. Big fan of the Nova Buses over there, having to visit my gf there.

Archived