New NYC Transit president Andy Byford takes subway to work

Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Let's come back to the real world instead of judging a person's appearance as a reflection of his/her intelligence. Prince Andrew, the (MTA) head, and the head of NYCT are, by themselves, not competent enough to do jack to improve the transit system. Many years ago I had a few conversations with David Gunn who was the head of transit back then. Over a period of 3 or 4 months we conversed by the Grand Central Shuttle dispatcher's office. I remember the first time we spoke. He introduced me to a group of Asian folk he was guiding around and he called me a C/R. I politely corrected him and pointed to a C/R who was standing nearby. He then called me a T/O and his group smiled in agreement.  The assistant dispatcher, who was standing there bowed his head and walked away as I shook my head. He took the shuttle to TSQ and returned about an hour later, alone. He explained to me that he was relatively new to NYCTA, especially the different divisions and departments. He was also humble enough, or maybe just being polite, to ask myself and a few other hourlies about our jobs and what he could do to improve things. We invited him into the crew room and he immediately started to sweat. The senior C/R present told him that the office/crew room lacked A/C. It was pointed out that there was no air flow in the area with the only airflow coming from a staircase leading up to Madison Avenue. The cleaner who was present explained about his difficulty getting supplies from GC Tower, the main RTO office, and the shuttle platforms. He said he would take care of what he could. Lo and behold, the next morning cinderblocks were removed from the shuttle office and a brand new A/C unit was delivered and installed. When he came by a few days later we thanked him. He pulled me to the side and whispered in my ear " you're a M/M aren't you.?" From that day forward he'd tell me that he had the title but he learned from the little people whom he spoke to. That's what most big-wigs I encountered in transit and other places fail to do in my work experience. Believe it or not after M.r Gunn had the A/C unit installed the very next morning the (4) /Shuttle Supt. cursed out the assistant dispatcher for having it installed without his permission. When Mr. Gunn, the TA President mind you, heard what happened the Supt. was transferred to Coney Island-Stillwell that same day. I'm making this long post to point out that no one person can turn an organization this size around alone. The big Kahuna is only as good as his underlings. Luckily, when I met Mr. Gunn there were still a few Trainmasters in the system who knew the ins and outs better than the new folks who carried the superintendent title.  Mr. Byford's tenure will be judged by who has his ear, IMO. I hope he succeeds in surrounding himself with the right people. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

I think Mr. Byford had an impressive first interview. I watched him on Good Day NY yesterday morning. He wants everyone on board with this... (MTA) workers especially. Time will tell how things go. I think he's up for the challenge though. He certainly had offers to go elsewhere.

I'm not going to get much into what the man looks like, how he dresses, or the fake outrage behind not saying anything when you have nothing nice to say to someone..... This forum, much like any other forum, has a certain amount of teasing & insult hurling (no matter how subtle or hostile) that goes on - especially when some disagreement arises.....

Look, I have no more faith in Byford than I did for Lhota, Prendergast, Walder, or any of these figureheads some of us in this community tend to give high praises to.... Yeah, I get it - alright, you don't want these eggheads (oh, look, an insult... ) to fall flat on their faces, but at the same time, the overpraising of these people on the front end & the letdown after they've done much of nothing on the back end, has been the norm.... Quite sure the latter of those 3 (Walder) won't be sending us NY-ers any postcards from overseas..... 

It's not even a wait & see approach with me with Byford..... There won't be any heroes or saviors to fix this mess NYC commuters have to put up with (some more than others), so I'm not holding my breath.... I'm expecting status quo.... Same old shit will continue to linger fester within this agency & much of nothing will get done on any grandiose scale when it comes to the rails & the buses.....

FWIW, At least it keeps discussion forums like this active.

16 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

You sound like an idiot--and also a particularly nasty and vindictive person--when you refer to a qualified professional with decades under his belt working for Transit in these demeaning and dehumanizing terms. It reveals ignorance, but also a particularly ugly spirit. It debases the entire conversation and makes all of us just that little bit dumber for reading. In the future, it would be helpful to evaluate based on competence, not figure. 

I find his comments so offensive that I will not even respond to him directly. I knew Pendergast personally and all I can say is that whenever we spoke he treated me properly and professionally. Working for Cuomo, he was under some severe limitations, so he cannot be blamed entirely for the systems failures. He probably recognized the systems problems better than anyone else. He even sent a memo to all employees a few years before he retired that they must fairly evaluate every suggestion from inside and outside the agency and not merely develop excuses for inaction. Sadly, there was no follow-up because the practice of finding excuses, and sometimes ridiculous ones continued. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BS. Hypocritical comments. You call people idiots on here all the time, and no one checks you because of your political interests. The pot calling the kettle black. Hilarious. I welcome Byford with open arms. Hopefully your babbbling friend de Blasio can stay out of his way and pony up the funding that the agency needs instead of focusing on the monies the city gave years ago.

You're just going off the rails now. You're right, I do use the word idiot, which is a tame fourth-grade term. I don't call people 'overweight slobs' or go after their appearance. If you can't tell the difference, you might just be...what's the word? 

11 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Let's come back to the real world instead of judging a person's appearance as a reflection of his/her intelligence. Prince Andrew, the (MTA) head, and the head of NYCT are, by themselves, not competent enough to do jack to improve the transit system. Many years ago I had a few conversations with David Gunn who was the head of transit back then. Over a period of 3 or 4 months we conversed by the Grand Central Shuttle dispatcher's office. I remember the first time we spoke. He introduced me to a group of Asian folk he was guiding around and he called me a C/R. I politely corrected him and pointed to a C/R who was standing nearby. He then called me a T/O and his group smiled in agreement.  The assistant dispatcher, who was standing there bowed his head and walked away as I shook my head. He took the shuttle to TSQ and returned about an hour later, alone. He explained to me that he was relatively new to NYCTA, especially the different divisions and departments. He was also humble enough, or maybe just being polite, to ask myself and a few other hourlies about our jobs and what he could do to improve things. We invited him into the crew room and he immediately started to sweat. The senior C/R present told him that the office/crew room lacked A/C. It was pointed out that there was no air flow in the area with the only airflow coming from a staircase leading up to Madison Avenue. The cleaner who was present explained about his difficulty getting supplies from GC Tower, the main RTO office, and the shuttle platforms. He said he would take care of what he could. Lo and behold, the next morning cinderblocks were removed from the shuttle office and a brand new A/C unit was delivered and installed. When he came by a few days later we thanked him. He pulled me to the side and whispered in my ear " you're a M/M aren't you.?" From that day forward he'd tell me that he had the title but he learned from the little people whom he spoke to. That's what most big-wigs I encountered in transit and other places fail to do in my work experience. Believe it or not after M.r Gunn had the A/C unit installed the very next morning the (4) /Shuttle Supt. cursed out the assistant dispatcher for having it installed without his permission. When Mr. Gunn, the TA President mind you, heard what happened the Supt. was transferred to Coney Island-Stillwell that same day. I'm making this long post to point out that no one person can turn an organization this size around alone. The big Kahuna is only as good as his underlings. Luckily, when I met Mr. Gunn there were still a few Trainmasters in the system who knew the ins and outs better than the new folks who carried the superintendent title.  Mr. Byford's tenure will be judged by who has his ear, IMO. I hope he succeeds in surrounding himself with the right people. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

You are correct. Prince Albert is the problem. He constantly robs the MTA of needed funds to repair the system while doing nothing about superhigh subway construction costs. Prendergast was definitely constrained by him. At least Prendergast understood the system and its problems and causes as well as the agency. Cuomo didn't even understand the purpose of the legislation he vetoed to grant an additional bus transfer for one fare. He thought additional fares were only necessary when there are subway stoppages. His comment that block tickets would accomplish the same purpose proves that. And no one dared to correct him. 

Regarding David Gunn, I have nothing but praise for the man. Just look at his accomplishments. I would hate to think where we would be today if he hadn't come along when he did. I was fortunate enough to have a private meeting with him after his first three weeks on the job. It was arranged by a friend. For some reason he insisted on meeting off the property at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. He asked me what I thought of the MTA and confided that if he knew the job would be so difficult he never would have accepted. He told me that someone had a reason why any changes he proposed could not be made. (He then set up a job interview for me which did not turn out well. Chairman Peter Stangl also did the same thing for me and responded personally when I wrote to him.)

I am sure Byford will meet the same resistance. His success will depend on whether he is a leader or will merely accept everything he is told. I do agree that his responses to the press were on target. I have sent him a letter wishing him luck amongst saying other things. If I do not receive any response whatsoever, then I will know it will just be business as usual. 

It is obvious that Hakim is not a leader. Just look how she replied to Councilman Deutsch when he showed her how frustrated he is with the MTA. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybOmyqJKuM

He asked her to come to his district for a Town Hall meeting. Her response was that she would first have to consult with her people because they are always going out to communities. As Managing Director, that is a decision she should have made on the spot telling him she will arrange a representative to hear and respond to his communities' concerns or that she doesn't believe it is necessary. Instead she gave a non-committal bureaucratic response so typical of the MTA. 

She was hired and received a promotion after a less than stellar performance at NJT, and is now being paid a fortune for a paper pushing job. All she is required to do is forward all issues for resolution to the respective MTA President in charge and report their responses back to the Chairman who still is required to be present at all major accidents and disasters. 

1 minute ago, MHV9218 said:

You're just going off the rails now. You're right, I do use the word idiot, which is a tame fourth-grade term. I don't call people 'overweight slobs' or go after their appearance. If you can't tell the difference, you might just be...what's the word? 

Good, so please stop with your feigned outrage.  You have a lot of nerve calling me out about "insulting" people when you do the same thing. Last I checked an insult is an insult.  Calling someone an idiot is just as offensive since we're qualifying things now. <_<  If you're going to call yourself being "politically correct" then perhaps you should follow your own advice. Factually speaking the man is obese, no ifs and or buts. You, BillfromMaspeth, and whoever else is so "outraged" will just have to get over it.  He wouldn't be the first obese person and he won't be the last one.

10 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

You are correct. Prince Albert is the problem. He constantly robs the MTA of needed funds to repair the system while doing nothing about superhigh subway construction costs. Prendergast was definitely constrained by him. At least Prendergast understood the system and its problems and causes as well as the agency. Cuomo didn't even understand the purpose of the legislation he vetoed to grant an additional bus transfer for one fare. He thought additional fares were only necessary when there are subway stoppages. His comment that block tickets would accomplish the same purpose proves that. And no one dared to correct him. 

Regarding David Gunn, I have nothing but praise for the man. Just look at his accomplishments. I would hate to think where we would be today if he hadn't come along when he did. I was fortunate enough to have a private meeting with him after his first three weeks on the job. It was arranged by a friend. For some reason he insisted on meeting off the property at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. He asked me what I thought of the MTA and confided that if he knew the job would be so difficult he never would have accepted. He told me that someone had a reason why any changes he proposed could not be made. (He then set up a job interview for me which did not turn out well. Chairman Peter Stangl also did the same thing for me and responded personally when I wrote to him.)

I am sure Byford will meet the same resistance. His success will depend on whether he is a leader or will merely accept everything he is told. I do agree that his responses to the press were on target. I have sent him a letter wishing him luck amongst saying other things. If I do not receive any response whatsoever, then I will know it will just be business as usual. 

It is obvious that Hakim is not a leader. Just look how she replied to Councilman Deutsch when he showed her how frustrated he is with the MTA. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybOmyqJKuM

He asked her to come to his district for a Town Hall meeting. Her response was that she would first have to consult with her people because they are always going out to communities. As Managing Director, that is a decision she should have made on the spot telling him she will arrange a representative to hear and respond to his communities' concerns or that she doesn't believe it is necessary. Instead she gave a non-committal bureaucratic response so typical of the MTA. 

She was hired and received a promotion after a less than stellar performance at NJT, and is now being paid a fortune for a paper pushing job. All she is required to do is forward all issues for resolution to the respective MTA President in charge and report their responses back to the Chairman who still is required to be present at all major accidents and disasters. 

Are you seriously trying to blame Cuomo for all of this?  The (MTA) has been out to lunch on construction costs well before "Prince Andrew" came onto the scene, and they will remain as such well after he is gone.  They admitted years ago that they don't have expertise in the construction area, so that means that the higher ups at the (MTA) should be examining how they can bring in more experienced people and bring down costs, not unless you think Cuomo should do that also?  Now if we're talking about changing bidding procedures, that's one thing, but you have to actually hire competent project managers, estimators and so on who understand how construction works to ensure that you aren't having serious cost overruns.  

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Good, so please stop with your feigned outrage.  You have a lot of nerve calling me out about "insulting" people when you do the same thing. Last I checked an insult is an insult.  Calling someone an idiot is just as offensive since we're qualifying things now. <_<  If you're going to call yourself being "politically correct" then perhaps you should follow your own advice. Factually speaking the man is obese, no ifs and or buts. You, BillfromMaspeth, and whoever else is so "outraged" will just have to get over it.  He wouldn't be the first obese person and he won't be the last one.

There is so much wrong with this. Off the bat, given that we’re on transitforums and not weight watchers, a discussion of Tom Prendergasts weight is not in any way pertinent.

Whatever you may say about him, he was one of the most knowledgeable people in the MTA. I saw him correct board members, presenters, and media people on the workings of the agency, and just generally, the man seemed to have a deep understanding of the systems functions. This isn’t just me. Ask literally anyone else in MTA management. Have you actually never heard “don’t judge a book by its cover?”  

What’s more, it’s just common decency and rhetorical etiquette not to talk about someone’s weight in a civilized discussion. Before you posted that, we had a decent conversation. Now, we have a redux of the Canarsie thread. 

VG8, finally, there is no shame in admitting you’re wrong. Quit while you’re behind. Your attempts to justify your actions by citing the reactions of others is frankly ridiculous. You need to stop degrading this thread by polluting it with superficial swill instead of substantive policy discussions. 

Find the ad hominem. I dare you. 

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Are you seriously trying to blame Cuomo for all of this?  The (MTA) has been out to lunch on construction costs well before "Prince Andrew" came onto the scene, and they will remain as such well after he is gone.  They admitted years ago that they don't have expertise in the construction area, so that means that the higher ups at the (MTA) should be examining how they can bring in more experienced people and bring down costs, not unless you think Cuomo should do that also?  Now if we're talking about changing bidding procedures, that's one thing, but you have to actually hire competent project managers, estimators and so on who understand how construction works to ensure that you aren't having serious cost overruns.  

Andy C didn’t cause all the problems, sure. But he certainly hasn’t helped. His incessant interference in agency functions has severely hindered the MTA’s ability to control costs in everything from union negotiations to station renovations. 

MTA management is actually overflowing with talent. The issue is it’s in the wrong places. Political hacks and consultants get many of the top jobs, while the knowledgeable bottom is left powerless and beholden to he vascillations at the top. That’s the issue.  

19 minutes ago, RR503 said:

There is so much wrong with this. Off the bat, given that we’re on transitforums and not weight watchers, a discussion of Tom Prendergasts weight is not in any way pertinent.

Whatever you may say about him, he was one of the most knowledgeable people in the MTA. I saw him correct board members, presenters, and media people on the workings of the agency, and just generally, the man seemed to have a deep understanding of the systems functions. This isn’t just me. Ask literally anyone else in MTA management. Have you actually never heard “don’t judge a book by its cover?”  

What’s more, it’s just common decency and rhetorical etiquette not to talk about someone’s weight in a civilized discussion. Before you posted that, we had a decent conversation. Now, we have a redux of the Canarsie thread. 

VG8, finally, there is no shame in admitting you’re wrong. Quit while you’re behind. Your attempts to justify your actions by citing the reactions of others is frankly ridiculous. You need to stop degrading this thread by polluting it with superficial swill instead of substantive policy discussions. 

Find the ad hominem. I dare you. 

Well which is it?  Given all what you've stated, you should reply with certainty about the man's knowledge and not say that he "seemed to have a deep understanding of the systems functions".  I haven't said anything about him that hasn't been said about Cuomo, de Blasio and others regarding transit (both have been called idiots and much worse), so no, I'm not apologizing and I'm not back stepping.  The issue here is the double standard being given.  It's complete BS.  Now suddenly everyone is so PC here... Right. <_<  Last I checked, there is no such thing as a "wrong opinion", nor giving factual information.

Well which is it?  Given all what you've stated, you should reply with certainty about the man's knowledge and not say that he "seemed to have a deep understanding of the systems functions".  I haven't said anything about him that hasn't been said about Cuomo, de Blasio and others regarding transit (both have been called idiots and much worse), so no, I'm not apologizing and I'm not back stepping.  The issue here is the double standard being given.  It's complete BS.  Now suddenly everyone is so PC here... Right. <_<

Unlike other posters here, I don’t engage in feigned certainty on issues about which my knowledge isn’t rock solid. I didn’t know him personally. Therefore I won’t state that as if it was fact. 

I’ve heard Cuomo and Billy D been called uninformed, their ideas idiotic, etc. I have yet to hear comments on their physical appearance. And I have definitely not made any comments to that end. 

There is no double standard here. If those people said such things, they’re wrong, and being sorrily superficial too. For someone who prides himself on his civility and etiquette, do you really want to denigrate yourself to the level of the ‘masses?’ 

If you have an issue with him as head of MTA/NYCT, show me. I want policy, not waist size next time. 

9 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Unlike other posters here, I don’t engage in feigned certainty on issues about which my knowledge isn’t rock solid. I didn’t know him personally. Therefore I won’t state that as if it was fact. 

I’ve heard Cuomo and Billy D been called uninformed, their ideas idiotic, etc. I have yet to hear comments on their physical appearance. And I have definitely not made any comments to that end. 

There is no double standard here. If those people said such things, they’re wrong, and being sorrily superficial too. For someone who prides himself on his civility and etiquette, do you really want to denigrate yourself to the level of the ‘masses?’ 

If you have an issue with him as head of MTA/NYCT, show me. I want policy, not waist size next time. 

I said what I'm entitled to say now that he is gone and I'll repeat it.  Under his watch, the subways and buses have gone to hell. Maybe if he got out and actually used the subways and buses, he would've done better.  There is no way that you can sit here with a straight face and tell me that just because you're knowledgeable that you don't need to actually use the system to see what is going on daily.  That's my issue with him. The whole fat reference was just me taking a jab at a him about him needing to get out and use the system more rather than sitting behind a desk, which I won't take back.  

Listen in my profession, I'm constantly looking to improve and I've been in my field for years. You never stop learning.  It's evident that Byford at least understands that much.  The man has never owned a car.  The only time I saw Prendergast on a subway was for a photo op. The same is true with the buses.  As the former leader of the (MTA), I find that pathetic.  Interacting with the actual customers and getting constant feedback gives you information that you can't get sitting in an office.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The whole fat reference was just me taking a jab at a him about him needing to get out and use the system more rather than sitting behind a desk, which I won't take back.  

And that's why everyone here has issues here.

That's like me going to the south and deciding to pick on some random black person and calling him the N word even just once.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

And that's why everyone here has issues here.

That's like me going to the south and deciding to pick on some random black person and calling him the N word even just once.

The two comparisons are not even close... We're not talking about a random person.  This is with regards to the former head of the (MTA) and his perceived laziness for not using the system more, versus the new guy hired to oversee the buses and subways and how he's using the system already, and not for photo ops.

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The two comparisons are not even close... We're not talking about a random person.  This is with regards to the former head of the (MTA) and his perceived laziness for not using the system more, versus the new guy hired to oversee the buses and subways and how he's using the system already, and not for photo ops.

You are being totally ridiculous and you won't even admit it. You are automatically concluding that Prendergast is lazy (knowing nothing else about him or if he worked 12 hours a day or not) and if he had used the subways more often, he would not be overweight. I knew a transit advocate who used the subways and buses everyday for long trips and was still overweight. So there goes your theory. 

6 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

You are being totally ridiculous and you won't even admit it. You are automatically concluding that Prendergast is lazy (knowing nothing else about him or if he worked 12 hours a day or not) and if he had used the subways more often, he would not be overweight. I knew a transit advocate who used the subways and buses everyday for long trips and was still overweight. So there goes your theory. 

Even if he did work 12 hours a day, that still has nothing to do with him going and using the system.  Nothing.... And yes in my mind if he was actually using the system more it would've been better.  It's one thing to say that we need more funding and take photo ops on the buses and subways, and another to actually depend on them daily as Byford will have to.  Now Byford may be a total failure too, but he already has more respect from me just because of the fact that needs to use the system daily.  Prendergast did not. I think you're confusing things here.  In other words, you want me to give Prendergast the benefit of the doubt because he is knowledgeable.  In the world that we live in, we judge people based on results, and that may sound cold, but that's what it is. Under his leadership, the buses and subways are abysmal, and there's no other way to put it "nicely".

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Let's get back to Andy Byford the current New York City Transit President using the subway to get to work or this topic will be locked.

if you want to do fix this issue, locking the thread won't do anything. Just go read some of the others. The banhammer is needed, badly.

The article said he took the (4) from Grand Central to work (Bowling Green, presumably.) If he lives in the Grand Central area, then it's a fairly simple commute on paper; just the (4) or (5) for five stations. He also might have taken Metro North to Grand Central. 

That being said, the (4)(5) and (6) are problematic at this time, between overcrowding and trains running too infrequenly. Maybe he will see the issues and push for a solution of some sort.

21 minutes ago, quadcorder said:

if you want to do fix this issue, locking the thread won't do anything. Just go read some of the others. The banhammer is needed, badly.

And thats sad to say....Its getting to the point where a few bad apples gonna spoil it for the whole bunch....Moderators here should'nt be closing or threating to close a thread or ban a member because most of us here cant debate about a system (for one not none of ours) in a maturely respectful  manner...

21 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

And thats sad to say....Its getting to the point where a few bad apples gonna spoil it for the whole bunch....Moderators here should'nt be closing or threating to close a thread or ban a member because most of us here cant debate about a system (for one not none of ours) in a maturely respectful  manner...

At Least it wasn't as bad as the Canarsie Thread even though we were able to get back on topic (which did happen)

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Your points are well taken. The MTA certainly shares the blame. But who does the MTA chairman report to if not Cuomo. When Cuomo saw that the MTA wasn't behaving properly to do what was necessary to bring down construction costs, it was his job to step in and either work with them or replace the leadership who would have been capable to bring down those costs. Instead he has remained silent on this issue, taking credit for every MTA accomplishment and separating himself from the MTA when any bad news arose. He certainly is not innocent here.

16 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Your points are well taken. The MTA certainly shares the blame. But who does the MTA chairman report to if not Cuomo. When Cuomo saw that the MTA wasn't behaving properly to do what was necessary to bring down construction costs, it was his job to step in and either work with them or replace the leadership who would have been capable to bring down those costs. Instead he has remained silent on this issue, taking credit for every MTA accomplishment and separating himself from the MTA when any bad news arose. He certainly is not innocent here.

My point is that Cuomo isn't necessarily the man overseeing the true day-to-day operations of the (MTA).  Remember he other responsibilities besides the

(MTA).  The person he appoints does that, so in my mind, the person to truly make changes would be Prendergast, not Cuomo.   You make it sound as if Prendergast's hands were tied.  I don't think that's the case. Now fiscally he had limitations, but in terms of restructuring things within the agency, I would say Prednergast could've certainly done more.  It seemed like his main focus was to ask for more money rather than make improvements with what he had. If you start off that way, I think you're already losing.    

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even if he did work 12 hours a day, that still has nothing to do with him going and using the system.  Nothing.... And yes in my mind if he was actually using the system more it would've been better.  It's one thing to say that we need more funding and take photo ops on the buses and subways, and another to actually depend on them daily as Byford will have to.  Now Byford may be a total failure too, but he already has more respect from me just because of the fact that needs to use the system daily.  Prendergast did not. I think you're confusing things here.  In other words, you want me to give Prendergast the benefit of the doubt because he is knowledgeable.  In the world that we live in, we judge people based on results, and that may sound cold, but that's what it is. Under his leadership, the buses and subways are abysmal, and there's no other way to put it "nicely".

Prendergast, like anyone else, decides which mode to use depending on what is the quickest and what makes the most sense. If he had to travel from 2 Broadway to Grand Central, he most certainly should have used the subway. Do you have any evidence that he did not? I recall him stating that you had to sometimes miss up to four trains on the Lex because of overcrowding before being able to get on. 

But if he had a meeting at 207 Street, followed by one in Coney Island and another in Jamaica Yards, it would not make sense for him to use the train. His time is valuable and what he would be able to accomplish in the subway versus being in a car is minimal. I am sure Byford will also feature using a company car for such trips and will not get using the subways and buses for all trips. 

I am not asking you to give Prendergast the benefit of the doubt for anything. You know I have often been critical of the MTA. And yes, results are most important, but as Trainmaster 5 said, it takes more than one person. Byford must surround himself with capable individuals as well as being able to persuade those above him to his points of view if he is to be successful. He must also be smart enough not to accept the lies that his underlings will most certainly try to tell him. 

My point is that Cuomo isn't necessarily the man overseeing the true day-to-day operations of the (MTA).  Remember he other responsibilities besides the

(MTA).  The person he appoints does that, so in my mind, the person to truly make changes would be Prendergast, not Cuomo.   You make it sound as if Prendergast's hands were tied.  I don't think that's the case. Now fiscally he had limitations, but in terms of restructuring things within the agency, I would say Prednergast could've certainly done more.  It seemed like his main focus was to ask for more money rather than make improvements with what he had. If you start off that way, I think you're already losing.    

Cuomo didn't only oversee. He interfered. He dictated an LGA LaGuardia link instead of letting the MTA's Planning Department come up with one. He is now insisting on a study of a nonsense Red Hook subway, again bypassing all the planning units. Prendergast and Cuomo both could have done more. 

Archived