MTA may spend $4B to modernize its aging subway fleet

Via Garibaldi 8

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We're supposed to be the greatest nation on earth, yet our infrastructure is a disaster, and we never make any real investments.

We've been a Nation of talk for quite some time now it's just becoming undeniable. America is the old beauty Queen that still thinks she has it. But you're sounding like a Progressive/ Liberal my friend. Not that I don't agree with what you're saying. Just unexpected.

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

We've been a Nation of talk for quite some time now it's just becoming undeniable. America is the old beauty Queen that still thinks she has it. But you're sounding like a Progressive/ Liberal my friend. Not that I don't agree with what you're saying. Just unexpected.

I don't think infrastructure is a liberal or conservative agenda. It's just a question of what's right for America.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't think infrastructure is a liberal or conservative agenda. It's just a question of what's right for America.

Infrastructure is right, but the devil is in the details, and at this point I would rather be able to fund more transit by not wasting money on bespoke American factories that will get torn down or closed at the end of the order because there's not enough demand to go around.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Infrastructure is tied to progression, looking forward and planning for the future. Progressive thinking is what gave you everything your discussing now. As an Engineer just wanted to remind you of that. It's not about an Agenda or politics it's about a state of mind. 

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

By all means, we should invest in infrastructure.

Didn't the last President propose such an investment ? Haven't there been isolated calls for infrastructure investment by governors of both parties over that same time frame ? It just so happens that the party in power across most of the country are so parochial in their way of thinking that no one with any vision is willing to step up to the plate and tackle the issue. I love reading about history, especially American history, and IMO there were only a few politicians in the last century who had a vision of improving life in this country. They didn't necessarily propose the improvements but rather oversaw them. A Democrat and a Republican along with like-minded politicians of both major political parties. FDR and Ike. Whether you agree with them or not I'm of the opinion that was the last gasp of bi-partisan cooperation in moving the US forward. Look around the country and you'll probably see that what infrastructure that needs repair or replacement dates back to that era if not before. This is a transit forum but how many posters realize that the railroad river tunnels crumbling on both sides of Manhattan were built by a private railroad company (Pennsylvania) and are now run by a semi-governmental agency (Amtrak) who most politicians across the country don't want to support monetarily. Talk is cheap. Where are the national leaders who want to repair, replace, rebuild and move this country forward ? They sure don't reside in DC.  My rant , lol.  Carry on.

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well by that measure, there's no money in having our streets packed with cars sitting in traffic either.  We're supposed to be the greatest nation on earth, yet our infrastructure is a disaster, and we never make any real investments. I'm hoping that Trump gets his act together on this one because we need to think BIG and make YUGE investments (as he would say).  In order for any railroad to be successful though you would have to do more than just build it.  You would need marketing and there would have to be a change in the mentality here, and more importantly get people to understand that you can get around without a car.  We're seeing a transformation in the mindset of millennials so it possible, as more of us don't have cars or drive less.

This president making a promise and not following through? A stunning development. Yuge news. </sarcasm>

Real talk, If we ever actually see federal investment in transit infrastructure implemented after having been initiated by this executive administration i'll buy your monthly metrocards for a year. I declare this to be a binding contract and formally, legally agree to follow through. 

Edit: so this can be taken seriously, because I am serious, let me further define the threshold as "Federal investment in new transit infrastructure exceeding the scope of the prior executive administration." Propose me a dollar threshold that meets this criterion and I'll have a contract drawn and it notarized.  

12 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

This president making a promise and not following through? A stunning development. Yuge news. </sarcasm>

Real talk, If we ever actually see federal investment in transit infrastructure implemented after having been initiated by this executive administration i'll buy your monthly metrocards for a year. I declare this to be a binding contract and formally, legally agree to follow through. 

Edit: so this can be taken seriously, because I am serious, let me further define the threshold as "Federal investment in new transit infrastructure exceeding the scope of the prior executive administration." Propose me a dollar threshold that meets this criterion and I'll have a contract drawn and it notarized.  

But which monthly: Express bus, regular, or both?

35 minutes ago, Deucey said:

What do you get for that $60?

$59.50 is for the 7day pass, so I pay either $238 or $297.50 per month depending on the number of weeks for a slightly more civilized ride. Still not that reliable though, but better than the subway at the moment. For the months that I buya Metro-North pass, add an extra $208. I’ve generally been doing singles of late though, both in the morning and at night.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

$59.50 is for the 7day pass, so I pay either $238 or $297.50 per month depending on the number of weeks for a slightly more civilized ride. Still not that reliable though, but better than the subway at the moment. For the months that I buya Metro-North pass, add an extra $208. I’ve generally been doing singles of late though, both in the morning and at night.

7 days??

(MTA) is a rip-off. It's all price gouging and lowered service. Way past time for it to become a special district independent and/or harmonize fare policies across all transit modes.

Wait... forgot I'm in NY and not SoCal.

3 minutes ago, Deucey said:

7 days??

(MTA) is a rip-off. It's all price gouging and lowered service. Way past time for it to become a special district independent and/or harmonize fare policies across all transit modes.

Wait... forgot I'm in NY and not SoCal.

Yeah well $32.00 is a rip-off for the 7 day subway/local bus pass... lol I remember when I paid $41.00 for the same pass...

On 1/22/2018 at 7:00 PM, N6 Limited said:

Is that what would happen though? We see what happens with contractors that "underbid" and wind up finishing late and "over" budget.

MTA: They say they can do it for $200 Mil 

Contractor: Well we can do it for $150 Mil!

MTA: Ok, you've got the bid

Contractor: Great!

*Sometime during the project*

Contractor: Hey there were some "Issues", it'll cost more

*Budget approaches $300 Million*

Contractor: Ok we're done! :)

That’s how contractors are these day, always late, never get shit done on time. It’s always been like this no matter what type of fleet you get. 

Archived