List of closed New York City Subway entrances

Union Tpke

Fordham Road (D) by the west side of Grand Concourse. I believe they was two entrances before it closed sometime in the early 1990s. One entrance led to the old Alexander's store which is now the P.C Richard & Son store and the other entrance led to the street level by the Bx1/2 bus to Mott Haven. And also Kingsbridge Road (D) there's two exits closed on the south side on Kingsbridge Road.

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 2:25 PM, Union Tpke said:

The timing doesn't make sense. A lot of pressure has been put on the agency to reopen entrances as of late.

Every single additional entrance is more maintenance and more security requirements. Ridership at (J) train stations in Queens is not very high because it doesn't go where most people want to go, and because the ride is so slow compared to taking a bus to the (E) .

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Every single additional entrance is more maintenance and more security requirements. Ridership at (J) train stations in Queens is not very high because it doesn't go where most people want to go, and because the ride is so slow compared to taking a bus to the (E) .

Even so, it doesn't make sense as it makes it harder for riders to get to and from the stations.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an "old" thread, but this is the only logical place to put this. @mtattrain and I have added more information.

Additional information would be appreciated, including additional locations where entrances used to be, more specific information including street corners, and dates when the entrances in question closed, and if possible, why it closed. Proper citations would be appreciated, whether they are newspaper articles detailing their closure, NYCTA documentation, or images showing their existence.

Thanks.

Ralph Avenue on the (C) has a closed entrance and partly closed mezzanine for Howard Avenue as well as Franklin Avenue (closed entrance for Classon Avenue) and a few other stops in Manhattan (Spring, 50th, 96th, 103rd, 116th, 155th, 163rd). I think these entrances were closed off as part of the TA's efforts to decrease crime on the subway system in the 80's and 90's. 

As for closed station entrances, I am well aware Broad Channel has a closed exit only staircase on the northern section of the south-bound platform (I'll try to find more information on it), it isn't an "entrance" but I thought it was worth mentioning since it's no longer used. I think Beach 105 and 98 street stations also have some entrances removed due to the renovation occurring there in 2011-2012. EDIT: Never mind, Latter two stations I mentioned are already on the Wiki page. 

Another one is the passageway at Aqueduct Racetrack station which has been subsequently removed, the passageway led directly to the racetrack itself and it served as the only entrance to the station until the early 2010's... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Aqueduct_Racetrack_2010_entrance_vc.jpg/800px-Aqueduct_Racetrack_2010_entrance_vc.jpg

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

On 2/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, Thekilomoney11 said:

Fordham Road (D) by the west side of Grand Concourse. I believe they was two entrances before it closed sometime in the early 1990s. One entrance led to the old Alexander's store which is now the P.C Richard & Son store and the other entrance led to the street level by the Bx1/2 bus to Mott Haven. And also Kingsbridge Road (D) there's two exits closed on the south side on Kingsbridge Road.

I'd argue that one of those closed Fordham Road entrances should be reopened. Given the awkward design of the station, the northern portion of the southbound platform is desolate and disgusting since it no longer has any open staircases. Most of the customers congregate near the southern part of the platform to board the train. 

In looking at the list, here are two others that have been totally eliminated.

25th Avenue (D) . There was an entrance at 26th Avenue but it was removed many years before I moved to the neighborhood in 1957.  The steel structure was there for many years which indicated that an entrance existed. Same for Bay 50th Street at the north end of the platform.

Avenue X F Line. South end of the platform. Exit to Avenue Y. Again the steel structure was there which indicated an entrance. It was gone by 1957.

3 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

In looking at the list, here are two others that have been totally eliminated.

25th Avenue (D) . There was an entrance at 26th Avenue but it was removed many years before I moved to the neighborhood in 1957.  The steel structure was there for many years which indicated that an entrance existed. Same for Bay 50th Street at the north end of the platform.

Avenue X F Line. South end of the platform. Exit to Avenue Y. Again the steel structure was there which indicated an entrance. It was gone by 1957.

Thanks so much. Were the entrances at Bay 50th all the way at the end toward Bay 49th or closer to Avenue X?

BY any chance, do you know when the steel structures were removed? Thanks a bunch.

The closed entrance on Bay 50th Street was closer to Bay 49th Street. I did not use the West End Line as I lived right across the street from the 86th Street Station but the few times that I was there i remember the  steel skeleton..

As far as Avenue X station and the Avenue Y entrance, i can now provide a picture source with a year date. Subway cars of the BMT  by James Clifford Greller (n.d.) p. 50 has a picture of Standard 2743 in the Coney Island Yard at Avenue Y and Shell Road. In the left hand corner of the photo, the complete Avenue Y entrance can be seen and it is dated February 22, 1959.

What is interesting is that 2743 remained with its silver roof for another couple of years as I remember seeing it at the end of a 2300, 2800 consist heading northbound on the Sea Beach Line at Kings Highway heading for the East New York Yard in 1962.

Edited by Interested Rider
added new information concerning Avenue X station

8 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

The closed entrance on Bay 50th Street was closer to Bay 49th Street. I did not use the West End Line as I lived right across the street from the 86th Street Station but the few times that I was there i remember the  steel skeleton..

As far as Avenue X station and the Avenue Y entrance, i can now provide a picture source with a year date. Subway cars of the BMT  by James Clifford Greller (n.d.) p. 50 has a picture of Standard 2743 in the Coney Island Yard at Avenue Y and Shell Road. In the left hand corner of the photo, the complete Avenue Y entrance can be seen and it is dated February 22, 1959.

What is interesting is that 2743 remained with its silver roof for another couple of years as I remember seeing it at the end of a 2300, 2800 consist heading northbound on the Sea Beach Line at Kings Highway heading for the East New York Yard in 1962.

Thanks. I just want to clarify something. The Avenue Y entrance is open in 1959?

You are not bothering me at all as it is a legitimate question and one that deserves an answer. The structure is there but it cannot be discerned whether the entrance is open or not.

If we look at all the elevated BMT stations on the southern division that had entrances  at either end, there was always another entrance at the opposite end, When there was an entrance in the middle, there were no entrances at either end. Taking it one step further, unlike most of the stations further north on the West End and Culver Lines, it seems that three stations mentioned did not have the ridership to justify keeping both entrances open. The West End line used elevated cars from Bay Parkway  to Coney Island and the Culver line used elevated car shuttles from Kings Highway to Coney Island until the mid 1950's due to a shortage of steel equipment during the rush hours. Another factor could have been that the areas south of  Avenue U did not have the ridership which was the reason that the entrances were removed on the West End Line and later on the Culver Line. Neck Road ( Avenue U) on the Culver Line was open full time through the 1950's and most likely into the 1960's when it was cut back to part time.  Again, I am  unsure of dates as I did ride the line that frequently at that time.