List of closed New York City Subway entrances

Union Tpke

3 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

You are not bothering me at all as it is a legitimate question and one that deserves an answer. The structure is there but it cannot be discerned whether the entrance is open or not.

If we look at all the elevated BMT stations on the southern division that had entrances  at either end, there was always another entrance at the opposite end, When there was an entrance in the middle, there were no entrances at either end. Taking it one step further, unlike most of the stations further north on the West End and Culver Lines, it seems that three stations mentioned did not have the ridership to justify keeping both entrances open. The West End line used elevated cars from Bay Parkway  to Coney Island and the Culver line used elevated car shuttles from Kings Highway to Coney Island until the mid 1950's due to a shortage of steel equipment during the rush hours. Another factor could have been that the areas south of  Avenue U did not have the ridership which was the reason that the entrances were removed on the West End Line and later on the Culver Line. Neck Road ( Avenue U) on the Culver Line was open full time through the 1950's and most likely into the 1960's when it was cut back to part time.  Again, I am  unsure of dates as I did ride the line that frequently at that time. 

Thanks so much for the information. I didn't know about those shuttles.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, RR503 said:

Nice project!!! Is there any way to add ridership #s for all the stations to the chart? It'd be useful for contextualization.. 

I added this suggestion in. I contacted Alan Minor, who has advocated for the reopening of entrances in North Brooklyn and hope to help him out.

@Union Tpke Once again, thank you so much for this compilation, it’s been great reading through all these newspaper articles and learning about these entrances. I was looking through those old SubTalk forums, and came across multiple mentions of a 47th street entrance to the 50th Street-8th Ave (C)(E) station, which I didn’t see posted on your list. I found the discussion about it using this link. 

19 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

@Union Tpke Once again, thank you so much for this compilation, it’s been great reading through all these newspaper articles and learning about these entrances. I was looking through those old SubTalk forums, and came across multiple mentions of a 47th street entrance to the 50th Street-8th Ave (C)(E) station, which I didn’t see posted on your list. I found the discussion about it using this link. 

Thanks. I find it hard to believe that an entrance would be at 47th. The 49th exits are at the southernmost ends of the platforms. They had exits to 52nd.

• 1 year later...

@Trainmaster5 I was doing more research for my list of closed subway entrances and found this post of yours, in which you described the Junius Street exits.

There used to be an exit at Junius St and Livonia Ave but it was removed many years ago. If you check the s/b platform the staircase was (approximately) where the flyover to Linden Yard is now. The platform was cut and shortened to make room for the flyover. From the s/b platform you can look at the n/b side and see the original length of the station before the cut job. The n/b platform has a fence blocking off the full length of the station. As for the bridge over the Bay Ridge branch RR tracks connecting the Canarsie and Livonia lines stations it used to be notorious for muggings and pocketbook snatchings so most law abiding neighborhood residents avoided it, especially after dark. I remember the Guardian Angels were the only ones providing constant security on the bridge and surroundings at night. You very rarely saw a police presence at that location, NYPD or Transit Police.

What yearr would you say that the Junius Street exits were removed?

Thanks.