List of closed New York City Subway entrances

Union Tpke

I’m most interested in what’s at Canal Street. There is a lot of crowding at Centre Street, especially since there is only 1 entrance to the (J). The platform is not that wide, and I feel it was a mistake to abandon the other platform. Instead of distributing passengers, now they are crammed onto one platform mixed in with people going to/from the lower level ((N)(Q)).

26 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Nice project!!! Is there any way to add ridership #s for all the stations to the chart? It'd be useful for contextualization.. 

That could be done, but that was not the purpose of this.

31 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

For the 110th Street part, there was an underpass between the northbound and southbound platform. You can easily see the seal off part of it when you're at the 110th Street southbound platform near the last few cars.

I can add a section for things like that. Thanks.

29 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

65 Street on the Queens Boulevard line (E) [late night] (M)(R) does not have an entrance to 63 St. I've been around there enough times to know. Unless there is something that I missed. Well, I'm going to have to revisit this station someday

http://www.pcac.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2001-Reopening-Closed-Entrances.pdf page 12

Hey @Union Tpke, there are perhaps a few things that you'd need to make note of while putting together your list of closed entrances:

1. For 182-183rd Streets on the (D) train, I think there was a second entrance at 183rd Street.

2. If I remember correctly, the entrance at Mosholu Parkway South reopened around 2009 when the downtown platform of Mosholu Parkway reopened after renovation, not 05 as you wrote. (At the time that the report for reopening entrances from the New York City Riders Council was issued in November of 2001, Mosholu Parkway itself did not begin to be renovated until October 30th, 2006.)

3. There was an original station house for Eastern Parkway on Fulton Street for the (J) train besides the entrance from Conway Street, including a closed station house on 113th Street for 111th Street on the (J) train as well.

4. The South Portland entrance from Fulton Street on the (G) reopened in July of 2005 under community pressure.

I'm not particularly sure about all of these entrances I mentioned, but I think they are accurate.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

40 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Hey @Union Tpke, there are perhaps a few things that you'd need to make note of while putting together your list of closed entrances:

1. For 182-183rd Streets on the (D) train, I think there was a second entrance at 183rd Street.

Do you know which street corner?

2. If I remember correctly, the entrance at Mosholu Parkway South reopened around 2009 when the downtown platform of Mosholu Parkway reopened after renovation, not 05 as you wrote. (At the time that the report for reopening entrances from the New York City Riders Council was issued in November of 2001, Mosholu Parkway itself did not begin to be renovated until October 30th, 2006.)

Do you have a date by any chance?

3. There was an original station house for Eastern Parkway on Fulton Street for the (J) train besides the entrance from Conway Street, including a closed station house on 113th Street for 111th Street on the (J) train as well.

Thanks.

4. The South Portland entrance from Fulton Street on the (G) reopened in July of 2005 under community pressure.

I know. I was going to add that in. Thanks.

I'm not particularly sure about all of these entrances I mentioned, but I think they are accurate.

Edited by Union Tpke

Assuming that we aren't counting the WTC, since all of those entrances were either destroyed or have since reopened (the yet unopened Cortlandt Street (1) Station doesn't count), I can name four permanently closed and demolished entrances from the Fulton Street (4)(5) Station alone:

1) [DEMOLISHED] entrance on the southeast corner of Broadway & John streets (adjacent to 182 Broadway)

2) [DEMOLISHED] entrance on the northeast corner of Broadway & Fulton streets (inside 222 Broadway)

3) [PERMANENTLY CLOSED] entrance on the northwest corner of Broadway & Dey streets (inside 195 Broadway)

4) [DEMOLISHED] entrance on the southeast corner of Broadway & Fulton streets (adjacent to what is now the Fulton Center)

These removals make sense, as the Fulton Center and Dey Street head house render them redundant. The FC/WTC/WFC trio has more entrances than the streets of Manhattan know what to do with.

14 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Do you know which street corner?

Do you have a date by any chance?

1. There was an entrance at 184th Street on the northeast corner at the end of the passageway.

2. The south entrance of Mosholu Parkway reopened around January of 2008. I don't have an exact date of the day it did reopen.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:03 AM, P3F said:

Basically in a mirrored layout to Avenue U, Avenue M has an emergency exit-only stair on the north side of the southbound platform.

I don't know if Avenue J has one as well. Look at it on Google Street View.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:38 AM, 4 via Mosholu said:

1. There was an entrance at 184th Street on the northeast corner at the end of the passageway.

2. The south entrance of Mosholu Parkway reopened around January of 2008. I don't have an exact date of the day it did reopen.

On 1/31/2018 at 1:21 AM, Porter said:

Assuming that we aren't counting the WTC, since all of those entrances were either destroyed or have since reopened (the yet unopened Cortlandt Street (1) Station doesn't count), I can name four permanently closed and demolished entrances from the Fulton Street (4)(5) Station alone:

1) [DEMOLISHED] entrance on the southeast corner of Broadway & John streets (adjacent to 182 Broadway)

2) [DEMOLISHED] entrance on the northeast corner of Broadway & Fulton streets (inside 222 Broadway)

3) [PERMANENTLY CLOSED] entrance on the northwest corner of Broadway & Dey streets (inside 195 Broadway)

4) [DEMOLISHED] entrance on the southeast corner of Broadway & Fulton streets (adjacent to what is now the Fulton Center)

These removals make sense, as the Fulton Center and Dey Street head house render them redundant. The FC/WTC/WFC trio has more entrances than the streets of Manhattan know what to do with.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:00 PM, Eric B said:

SW entrance of the (G) Broadway station. Boarded up for the construction of the new apts. but never reopened for some reason.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:19 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

On 1/29/2018 at 8:12 PM, Daniel The Cool said:

For the 110th Street part, there was an underpass between the northbound and southbound platform. You can easily see the seal off part of it when you're at the 110th Street southbound platform near the last few cars.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:30 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Broadway/Lafayette at the southwest corner of Broadway & Houston. Really annoying when I'm trying to transfer to an express bus to get home. 

Thanks. I have added all of these.