MTA: Like your bar, we’re cash only this weekend...

Deucey

I did security inside banks for a bit when I was a college student, and some banks would do this. It was pretty slow since they were only a few people doing it. I suspect it's a similar setup with the (MTA). I need to refill fittingly enough on Friday. It's best to refill during the week, because on weekends, all hell breaks loose.

Don't know how many days I have left until this monthly card expires, guess I'll take Hillside on the drive home instead & stop off at 179th & do a refill or whatever.... Not doing that at North Conduit subway ever again....

Whenever I used to get weekly LIRR tickets, I would always buy the following week's tickets of the Friday of the current week (e/g... if I wanted to get a weekly ticket for [2/5/18 to 2/9/18], I would purchase the ticket for that week tomorrow (2/2), instead of the Monday of that week (2/5))....

Monthly unlimited's OTOH, I would always wait until the last day or two before it expires to opt to refill it (full knowing I have a "backup" PPR card, just in case I decide to hop on an express bus coming home from Manhattan on the weekend or whatever)... Like the monthly, IDK how much I have left on that bad boy either..... smh... I don't keep track of these things anymore....

It would be great if some sort of portable metrocard reader existed....

38 minutes ago, P3F said:

What happened there?

the North Conduit (A) is literally out in the middle of nowhere. The few times I ride the (A) from Far Rockaway, I start wondering how the locals enter/exit stations like Broad Channel and North Conduit.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't know how many days I have left until this monthly card expires, guess I'll take Hillside on the drive home instead & stop off at 179th & do a refill or whatever.... Not doing that at North Conduit subway ever again....

Whenever I used to get weekly LIRR tickets, I would always buy the following week's tickets of the Friday of the current week (e/g... if I wanted to get a weekly ticket for [2/5/18 to 2/9/18], I would purchase the ticket for that week tomorrow (2/2), instead of the Monday of that week (2/5))....

Monthly unlimited's OTOH, I would always wait until the last day or two before it expires to opt to refill it (full knowing I have a "backup" PPR card, just in case I decide to hop on an express bus coming home from Manhattan on the weekend or whatever)... Like the monthly, IDK how much I have left on that bad boy either..... smh... I don't keep track of these things anymore....

Supposedly the new system will be online-account based. So that should solve that problem whenever it manages to show up.

2 hours ago, P3F said:

What happened there?

Don't know if you've ever utilized or seen the immediate area around that station, but you can't park on the curbside.... To the left of the subway entrance, there's about 20 feet of width of a dirt patch next to some shrubbery.... There was one vehicle already parked on said dirt patch, closest to the subway entrance.... I jumped the curb & parked under some of said shrubbery... Long story short, some homeless SOB tried to get inside my ride...

I didn't wanna ride all the way up to Grant av subway [whenever I do take the Belt, I take it to 17w (which is N. conduit), to get to Linden & take Linden the rest of the way home), as I would've have to have backtracked on S. Conduit]....

At the time, I was more worried about getting caught/getting ticketed, to be honest... Either way, a dumb risk to have taken.

46 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Supposedly the new system will be online-account based. So that should solve that problem whenever it manages to show up.

Hmm... Good to know... Thanks.

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't know if you've ever utilized or seen the immediate area around that station, but you can't park on the curbside.... To the left of the subway entrance, there's about 20 feet of width of a dirt patch next to some shrubbery.... There was one vehicle already parked on said dirt patch, closest to the subway entrance.... I jumped the curb & parked under some of said shrubbery... Long story short, some homeless SOB tried to get inside my ride...

I didn't wanna ride all the way up to Grant av subway [whenever I do take the Belt, I take it to 17w (which is N. conduit), to get to Linden & take Linden the rest of the way home), as I would've have to have backtracked on S. Conduit]....

At the time, I was more worried about getting caught/getting ticketed, to be honest... Either way, a dumb risk to have taken.

Yeah, I've taken the (A) there and have also seen it many times from the Belt Parkway.

Parking isn't generally great around subway stations, although I know a person who has had consistent success with parking near Euclid Avenue and taking the (A) into Manhattan.

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The Monthly doesn't activate until you use it so you would have been fine adding the monthly unlimited early

They could have included a metrocard reader in their apps with a magnetic strip reader that you plug into the headphone jack or whatever, but they probably don't to open their network to potential hackers.

1 minute ago, N6 Limited said:

The Monthly doesn't activate until you use it so you would have been fine adding the monthly unlimited early..

Nope. (MTA) counts 30 days from the date of purchase, not the date the previous one expires when using MVMs.

Learned that one the hard way. Soon I’ll be doing EasyPay.

Good on them. It seems like they have to update the software every couple of months or so, sometimes more frequently than that. That kind of frequency gets annoying after a while, even more so when a chunk of the machines won't take cash for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Nope. (MTA) counts 30 days from the date of purchase, not the date the previous one expires when using MVMs.

Learned that one the hard way. Soon I’ll be doing EasyPay.

That's lame.  Before they allowed refills, I'd buy monthly Metrocards from the MVM in advance and used it when my previous one expired. When they did fare increases I'd buy an extra one early to get one at the lower price. Since they had a grace period for older priced cards, it wasn't advantageous to buy more than one in advance.

Lmao you gotta stop with these titles :lol: (please don't)

Anyways I get this has to happen I just really hope they actually go out and put up signs well in advanced when the time comes and not just put out a tweet and say 'problem solved!'

Guess what's back: http://www.mta.info/news/2018/02/05/metrocard-vending-machines-undergo-software-upgrade-during-early-am-hours-saturday

Really interesting how it will only take six hours in the middle of the night instead of the 48 hours originally expected. It's almost like these guys are lollygagging about instead of doing their jobs in a timely fashion.

@Lance I was gonna post a clickbait headline to ask just that.

Going from 72 hours to just 6 in the span of 5 days says that it was likely (MTA) was getting the short end of a tech contract or that someone at (MTA) really just didn't want to work late nights just to get that weekend differential.

This just reeks of fraud waste and abuse opportunism.

You and your clickbait. You should work for the NY Post or the Daily News with that.

Seriously though, things like this only illustrate why riders are so fed up with the MTA. Things like this make you wonder how many other jobs are being stretched out indefinitely simply to pad out a paycheck.

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

You and your clickbait. You should work for the NY Post or the Daily News with that.

Seriously though, things like this only illustrate why riders are so fed up with the MTA. Things like this make you wonder how many other jobs are being stretched out indefinitely simply to pad out a paycheck.

In another life, if I didn't let women ruin Atlanta for me, or fall for and live with a blonde felon named Kelly in Sacramento, fellow Morehouse student (and now alumnus) Geoff Bennett wouldn't have my job at NBC News...

Skirt chasing. Kids, don't make it a priority.

Archived