Any news on the new Midtown Master Tower?

Peter Dougherty

Where is this? Is that part of what they're building at W4th south of the station on the upper level (both sides)? How much will it control? (Funny, as I never heard anything from anyone about this new tower, though can see the signal work and construction going on).

9 minutes ago, Eric B said:

Where is this? Is that part of what they're building at W4th south of the station on the upper level (both sides)? How much will it control? (Funny, as I never heard anything from anyone about this new tower, though can see the signal work and construction going on).

I'm surprised it isn't an RCC tie-in. Is RCC in control of signals through ATS or is that only done through local control?

7 hours ago, Eric B said:

I think it is in the 34th to 42nd passageway.

21 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

It is indeed. I've personally seen the model board for the tower there.

We may also see a reconfiguration of the 30th St interlocking in some manner as part of this. Not sure though.

So  what are they constructing at W4? Just a relay room?

And 30th St. interlocking is the one on 8th Ave., right? So this new tower will control that as well?

That might be good, to allow it to cross over expresses to the local at that point.

On 2/2/2018 at 5:12 AM, Union Tpke said:

So that’s why I’ve seen workers go in and out of there the last several weeks....

4 hours ago, Eric B said:

That might be good, to allow it to cross over expresses to the local at that point.

Good for flexibility, but if there’s a express to local crossover heading south they might have to add a timer on the SB express also like they did for the local track fairly recently.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, RailRunRob said:

Does the NYCTA have SSI (Solid State Interlocking) to go with CBTC? Never got a straight answer from anyone over there.

I think the move to SSI is happening somewhat independently of CBTC. I know that work has been going on for a while. (as the alternative is building deprecated parts in house). Obviously the solid state gear will be CBTC-ready. 

Not the relevant portion of trackage discussed in this article, but in regard to SSI contracts: 

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/communications/nyct-kings-highway-interlocking-upgrade-awarded-to-lk-comstock.html

Archived