Am I the only person that does this?

Y2Julio

For some reason, I've pretty much memorized where the train doors open up on several stations that I normally take. Same goes with memorizing a couple of the train schedules for certain times.

Heh... living on the (6) line in Manhattan you pretty much HAVE to get good with door locations, then just hope the T/O hits his mark :D

Heh... living on the (6) line in Manhattan you pretty much HAVE to get good with door locations, then just hope the T/O hits his mark :D

I hate it when they miss their mark and I get a spot far from the doors and then have to fight to get a seat.

I hate it when they miss their mark and I get a spot far from the doors and then have to fight to get a seat.

Seat? Lex line homees gotta fight just to get on the train :D

Had to "save" a lady from breaking her hand in the doors on Monday, it's a jungle out there

Guess the people that ride on the B Division are a bit more patient then lol Majority of them line up against the doors in a V shape and give people time to get off. Though on the F train during rush hour going towards Manhattan all bets are off.

yeah. i too have door spots and schedules memorized! and commuting on the east side IRT to and from school from 59 to fulton back in the 90s is a prime example of bets being off! at fulton during the am rush, it would be so crowded youd have to wait for about 2 to 3 trains to stop, load and go before youre even at the edge of the platform! i so dont miss those days! I love the J!

Heh... living on the (6) line in Manhattan you pretty much HAVE to get good with door locations, then just hope the T/O hits his mark :)

YES! I totally agree with you. I take the (6) at Union Square and I've figured out exactly where to stand, because if not you have to wait for people to SLOWLY take their time to get in (only to stand right by the door instead of moving in) and at that point you're pretty much trying to make your way in before the doors close...ugh.

So yeah, you're not alone Julio, I know the mark on several stations :cool:

Glad to see I'm not the only one, hehe. What about memorizing people? I can usually tell if the train is late or not by the people that take the train with me or is that stalkerish?

I did when i use to commute on the (A) when i lived in Rockaway. i knew i was late when i saw one woman who boarded the train at Rockaway blvd! man was she Gorgeous!

I know where certain doors spots on the lines I'm familiar with. If there's a station that I want to exit out of the subway system, I most likely know what train car and what door to exit to easily access the stairs. I don't memorize the schedules, though. There'll always be a train coming around in 3-5 minutes, even if I miss a train, unless there's a delay.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, hehe. What about memorizing people? I can usually tell if the train is late or not by the people that take the train with me or is that stalkerish?

LOL, I do the same. I know that if I see this one lady on the platform I'm extremely late. Just like I'll know if I just missed my train because I'll see the same dude coming up the stairs and lighting his cigarette.

Yeah, I do too. Main Street Flushing, 86th St on the Lex, 59th Street on the Broadway Line Queensboro Plaza, and Grand Central on the (7)<7>. Grand Central on the Lex and 59th St on the Lex are easy because they have the "Step Aside" markers where the doors are going to be (that no one respects anyway), so I just have to memorize which marker to stand by...

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this is the same, but when the (E) had R32 Brightliners, I would tend to wait near either end of the platform for the first or last car (knowing the (E) runs ten cars). One time a (C) arrived at 34th Street-Pennsylvania Station while I was waiting for the (E) and the T/O actually hollered at me "I don't stop down there; I've never stopped down there. Come on - hurry up!". With a small embarrasment I told the T/O I was waiting for the (E).

I also would tend to wait near either end of the platform (especially at stations in The Bronx) when the (2) ran R15s, R17s and Redbirds.

Knowing the (G), I've always waited in the center of the platform and the same at 66th Street-Lincoln Center for the (1).

Actually, I memorize the door locations too. I've had that gut feeling at some stations when I'm on a door.

And to determine whether I'm late or early, I look at the T/O. This is the second year I've had the same T/O in the morning. If I see a different one, I look at the time.

Um...necropost much???

Anyways...I do the same thing. When I was in high school, I took the (C) train and stood in the middle of the platform because I'd have to get off for the (L) at 14th Street and didn't feel like walking all the way to the back of the platform from the railfan window. I stood by a column where the first set of doors from the sixth car in the station would always be at (seventh car when the (C) had 40s/42s). I'd always be the first to get inside as well.

Buses...it's a total different story. Since they don't have markers they stop wherever they want in the bus bay. Sometimes I get lucky and the bus driver pulls in and the doors are right in front of me. Other times, ah well, no biggie....

Yeah. The Lexington Avenue (4),(5), and (6) really are crazy. I rode it several times. The train comes in full. The people push their way out then you will have to push your way in. When you are in the train there is basically almost no air room. The seats go to the lucky few that manage to get it and you have to just stand there on the train. Yes I do sometimes keep track of the doors and things especially since I frequently use the Sixth Avenue (D) to get home. Also I can't wait for Second Avenue to be complete so that way the (Q), and the (T) would take the load off Lexington.

I don't think the "Stand Aside" markers at GCT actually line up most of the time ^_^ And I do the same thing at several stations unless a train is pulling in. As an added bonus I use that app for iPhone/iPod that tells you which doors on the train open up exactly where you need to be :cool:

I don't think the "Stand Aside" markers at GCT actually line up most of the time ^_^ And I do the same thing at several stations unless a train is pulling in. As an added bonus I use that app for iPhone/iPod that tells you which doors on the train open up exactly where you need to be :cool:

Wanna know where the doors line up?? There's an app for that :P

Archived