Favorite End of the Line

BM5 via Woodhaven

It's not talked about here much, but it would be interesting to know what people's favorite terminals are. 

My favorite would likely have to be the Bx40 at Fort Schuyler. In terms of views, I think it's up there. The surrounding neighborhood going north is very isolated from even the rest of Throggs Neck, and walking up Pennyfield Avenue kinda feels like going through borderline rural areas. From there, you can see the Throggs Neck Bridge, Beechurst/Powells Cove, Whitestone, Whitestone Bridge, and Manhattan. It is very nice at sunset.

Despite how lengthy and crammed the Bx40s get, the terminal at Fort Schuyler is like a little getaway before having to drive up onto the chaos East Tremont Avenue (and everything west of West Farms Square). 

It is very nice at Sunset. Here are some shots taken from late December. It took me several weeks or so to get these shot (the previous time, I couldn't get down to the terminal in time). 

27735664449_90908c0afd_b.jpgBx40 with view of Whitestone Bridge and Manhattan Skyline in the background by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

27735665859_f11645be2e_b.jpg2004 Orion VII CNG 7756 on the Bx40 at Pennyfield Avenue & Fort Schuyler Entrance by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

27735667219_17e4c03968_b.jpg2004 Orion VII CNG 7756 on the Bx40 at Pennyfield Avenue & Fort Schuyler Entrance by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Two of my favorites are the BxM2 and BxM18.  Starting from the border with Westchester you leave a very suburban area (reminds me a lot of parts of Connecticut) (the first time I got off at 263rd and Riverdale Avenue, I couldn't believe I was still in NYC) and enter Manhattan.  The BxM2 passes by various landmarks (Lincoln Center, Central Park, various museums, Times Square, etc.) and then terminates at Penn Station, a complete 360 of its Northern border.  Meanwhile the BxM18 travels through practically all of Manhattan and terminates by Wall Street.  Both routes offer great scenery all throughout as they meander up and down the very hilly areas of Spuyten Duyvil, Riverdale and North Riverdale.

My other favorites have to be in South Brooklyn.  The X27/X37 via Shore Road offers beautiful views of the Verrazzano and the Narrows, with the buses terminating right near the bridge.  The BM3 terminating right along Emmons Avenue is especially nice in summer.  Nice views of Manhattan Beach and Sheepshead Bay.

My favorite layover in the city has to be the B31 at Gerritsen Beach. I never was able to pick the 31, so the only time I operated on it was holidays such as Xmas & Thanksgiving. Very beautiful view. Also, the B42 at Canarsie Pier. I enjoyed parking under the parkway overpass, and walking the pier during the summer. Lastly, the B82 at Seaview. I enjoyed the peace & quiet, especially after 9pm

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

My favorite layover in the city has to be the B31 at Gerritsen Beach. I never was able to pick the 31, so the only time I operated on it was holidays such as Xmas & Thanksgiving. Very beautiful view. Also, the B42 at Canarsie Pier. I enjoyed parking under the parkway overpass, and walking the pier during the summer. Lastly, the B82 at Seaview. I enjoyed the peace & quiet, especially after 9pm

lol... I used to hang out with friends who lived in Gerritsen Beach. We went to the same high school and would play pick up hockey together over in Sheepshead Bay.  I can't say that I thought the view at the end of Gerritsen Avenue was that beautiful.  Just water, a little beach and some marshland basically. lol

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol... I used to hang out with friends who lived in Gerritsen Beach. We went to the same high school and would play pick up hockey together over in Sheepshead Bay.  I can't say that I thought the view at the end of Gerritsen Avenue was that beautiful.  Just water, a little beach and some marshland basically. lol

Everyone's perception of beauty is different. It was definitely pleasant to my eyes looking at the sunset on a layover... Actually being able to enjoy a 17-20 minute layover as opposed to busting my ass on the B41 or 46 and not making layovers. 

Just now, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Everyone's perception of beauty is different. It was definitely pleasant to my eyes looking at the sunset on a layover... Actually being able to enjoy a 17-20 minute layover as opposed to busting my ass on the B41 or 46 and not making layovers. 

Yes, when you're driving a bus, that would definitely be beautiful.  The one thing I sometimes wonder about with B/Os is do they actually know the neighborhoods that they drive through, as in the reputation of neighborhoods.  I know several Yonkers drivers, and the ones that have been around seem to know the different areas, and know which buildings are swanky and so on.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, when you're driving a bus, that would definitely be beautiful.  The one thing I sometimes wonder about with B/Os is do they actually know the neighborhoods that they drive through, as in the reputation of neighborhoods.  I know several Yonkers drivers, and the ones that have been around seem to know the different areas, and know which buildings are swanky and so on.

Some do. Others could care less. I knew what I getting myself into when I picked east ny as a rookie (B15, B14, B7, B25) Some very rough & rugged characters live in those neighborhoods. But, I am also a product of that environment. Who they know I know. Who they run the streets with, I ran the streets with their older siblings. I relate totally different with customers (Especially working in East NY & Flatbush) because if I didn't do this job, I'd probably be right beside them, waiting to board the bus. I never forget where I came from. I'm not like some police officers who grew up sheltered on Long Island, never interacting with the inner-city. This isn't a culture shock for me. To be honest, most operators view this as just a job. Another paycheck... One in a long line of CDL classified jobs. For myself, it's totally different. I've wanted to do this from I was a kid in kindergarten. I remember being able to draw the east ny depot logo from memory, all because I lived in Canarsie at the time and rode the B60 & B35 to go to school in East Flatbush. This is when the signs still identified as New Lots - Stanley Avenue. Aside from aunts & uncles working for MTA, I wanted my own story to tell one day, not to just rehash & relive others accomplishments. 

Off the top of my head, I like n23 terminal in Manorhaven next to the park (Morgan Memorial Park in Glen Cove is another nice one....except you have to walk about a mile from the bus terminal to reach it). Another good one is the Q22 terminal at Jacob Riis Park. Also, the M11/Bx19 terminal at Riverbank State Park is nice, because not only do you have the Hudson River and the view of NJ, but you also have the GW Bridge in the background (also I have a few good memories of dates I've took girls on over there, so I guess that should be my favorite for that reason alone lol). 

22 minutes ago, junjun441 said:

Bx 6 on Riverside Drive. Great view of NJ and GWB and nice Condos close by!

Funny enough I've never been up there, even though it's only a few blocks north of the Bx19 terminal, but I agree with you about the NJ views. 

8 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

ETC, it has the feel of an suburban bus system. 

I like the layout of the ETC in the sense that buses don't have to back in and out of bays (like Hempstead and the GWB Bus Station), and it also doesn't have multiple ramps (like St. George). But speaking of suburban systems, I like Brentwood from a railfanning point of view (it's only a terminal for the 3D) since you see a variety of different lines, but on the regular street instead of in an official terminal.

1. S46/S96: West Shore Plaza- I like the area that it’s in. It feels somewhat like you’re not in NYC.

2. Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. Love the view of the bridge, the trains that pass by, and the multiple routes that end there.

While we’re on the subject of terminals, I like small turn-around areas:

S62/S92 in Travis 

S54/S59/S89 in Eltingville

B1/B49 at KCC

Q4/Q5/Q84/Q85 at Jamaica

37 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Funny enough I've never been up there, even though it's only a few blocks north of the Bx19 terminal, but I agree with you about the NJ views. 

It is worth it! A much elevated view than 145th St (even though Riverside Park is also a great view) but the sunset is breathtaking.

2 hours ago, junjun441 said:

It is worth it! A much elevated view than 145th St (even though Riverside Park is also a great view) but the sunset is breathtaking.

I kinda like looking down at the West Side Highway.It does have a nice clear view. 

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Shore Rd on the X27/X37 and all those other local routes.

I looked at pictures of Shore Road sunsets, and they were all beautiful! 

The Bay Ridge Pier (off Shore Road, where the ferry is) has a nice of the Verrazano, Staten Island & New Jersey, and Lower Manhattan (you can also see the Statue of Liberty). The best views of the Verrazano have to be in Fort Hamilton (not counting the SIE approach to the bridge). Shore Road though is picturesque, especially during fall. I haven't walked the full promenade (from Fort Hamilton to the Ferry), but I may choose to do so, perhaps as an interlude when fanning or something.

Favorite Terminal: B25, B63. Pier 6 & Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn Bridge/Front Street.  Sunsets are amazing along the promenade and under the Bridge. 

Other terminals: 

B44/46: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Q102: Roosevelt Island overlooking the East Side and FDR Drive 

M42: 1st Avenue & 42nd near Tudor Hill. 

I like Green Acres on the Q5, Q85, n1 and the Elmont Flexi because it's a better mall terminal than Roosevelt Field and Sunrise Mall. I don't mind the loop around because it's not as big Charles Lindbergh in Uniondale or the Ring Road in Roosevelt Field.

The Long Beach Terminal on the n15 and n33 gets a special nod because its one of the unique LIRR stations in the system.

My favorite bus terminal would have to be either that of the Q28's in Bay Terrace on 23rd Avenue and Bell Boulevard or the Q31's bus terminal in Bayside on Francis Lewis Boulevard and 27th Avenue. Both of these bus termini are located in suburban neighborhoods that offer a peaceful sanctuary to clear one's mind.

Archived