My bus route service sucks!

EphraimB

My bus route has very unreliable service. This is a screenshot I took of the MTA bus time app on the train at Beach 36 Street station. This means that when I get off the train at Far Rockaway - Mott Av and walk 2 minutes to the Mott Av & Beach 20 St bus stop, I would have to wait at least an hour to get a bus ride to the closest bus stop to my house (Beach 9 St /Caffery Av) which is an 8 minute walk from my house. 2 minute walk to the Mott Av & Beach 20 St bus stop + 8 minute walk from Beach 9 St /Caffery Av equals a 10 minute walk with a bus ride. Without a bus ride, it would be a 20 minute walk from the train station to my house.

68QNsKU.png

30 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

The biggest problems are a bus being behind another bus. I checked the MTA bus time app on my phone a few months ago and it listed the first 2 busses as approaching and the third bus being 47 minutes away.

That’s an issue a lot of people complain about is bus bunching. Often after those two or three bunched you have to wait longer. It’s worse if those two or three buses were crowded. Some of it is pacing, taking too long at unloading and loading passengers, but some of it is traffic conditions such as double parked cars and trucks that might slow traffic down. 

10 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

That’s an issue a lot of people complain about is bus bunching. Often after those two or three bunched you have to wait longer. It’s worse if those two or three buses were crowded. Some of it is pacing, taking too long at unloading and loading passengers, but some of it is traffic conditions such as double parked cars and trucks that might slow traffic down. 

A lot of the bus bunching is literally that you have BOs sitting at terminals BSing with other BOs to leave late and avoid running hot.

10 hours ago, Deucey said:

A lot of the bus bunching is literally that you have BOs sitting at terminals BSing with other BOs to leave late and avoid running hot.

That's exactly it.  It's become so bad now that you even hear B/Os talking about it as they do trips.  One guy pulls up next to another guy and they start chatting about how they're holding at the next stop to avoid running early.  That whole bit really solves nothing.  The bus has been running early for the entire run, and then it gets to the last stop and now it's sitting there.  Just stupid.  I also hate drivers to crawl the line.  It took me almost two hours to get in this morning.  The driver I get now he is OBSESSED about doing everything by the book.  He is ALWAYS late, drives like a mule and makes sure he doesn't go through any yellow lights. The whole thing is annoying during rush hour.  His bus and one behind it that I used to get are becoming emptier and emptier.  The whole thing just takes far too long. 

As for this situation with the Q113/Q114, didn't they just get brand new buses?  It seems rather crazy to have such huge gaps in service.  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's exactly it.  It's become so bad now that you even hear B/Os talking about it as they do trips.  One guy pulls up next to another guy and they start chatting about how they're holding at the next stop to avoid running early.  That whole bit really solves nothing.  The bus has been running early for the entire run, and then it gets to the last stop and now it's sitting there.  Just stupid.  I also hate drivers to crawl the line.  It took me almost two hours to get in this morning.  The driver I get now he is OBSESSED about doing everything by the book.  He is ALWAYS late, drives like a mule and makes sure he doesn't go through any yellow lights. The whole thing is annoying during rush hour.  His bus and one behind it that I used to get are becoming emptier and emptier.  The whole thing just takes far too long. 

As for this situation with the Q113/Q114, didn't they just get brand new buses?  It seems rather crazy to have such huge gaps in service.  

The only part of the Q113/Q114 that has large gaps in service is Far Rockaway because the buses either get held up at Rockaway Blvd, Nassau Expressway, or going thru residential Inwood and the swamp on Brookville to get to the Rockaways in the Q114's case. It's the only route on the island that still goes down to Cornaga to get to Beach 9th just to reach its terminal at Seagirt Blvd and Beach 20th while the Q22, n31/32 have opted for going down Beach 20th to reach Seagirt while using Beach 21st to reach Mott Ave. I just took a look at the schedule and apparently the Q113 got massive service reductions ever since the MTA renumbered the Q113 locals as the Q114.

13 hours ago, EphraimB said:

The biggest problems are a bus being behind another bus. I checked the MTA bus time app on my phone a few months ago and it listed the first 2 busses as approaching and the third bus being 47 minutes away.

Yep. Once bus #2 catches up to bus #1 and get bunched together, bus #2 is not allowed to pass bus #1, which further escalates the problem as now both buses end up behind schedule. In your case, bus #3 usually would leave the terminal late, while bus #4 ends up catching up to that bus, and the bunching and service gaps repeat throughout the day. Add in the dispatcher from the East New York bunker that will send at least one of those buses on a deadhead from one of the terminals to halfway down the line to make up time, and you have a perfect storm of a 47 minute wait.

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They aren't brand new anymore and the headways on the Q111/113/114 have been reduced as a result of running articulated buses

11 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Yep. Once bus #2 catches up to bus #1 and get bunched together, bus #2 is not allowed to pass bus #1, which further escalates the problem as now both buses end up behind schedule. In your case, bus #3 usually would leave the terminal late, while bus #4 ends up catching up to that bus, and the bunching and service gaps repeat throughout the day. Add in the dispatcher from the East New York bunker that will send at least one of those buses on a deadhead from one of the terminals to halfway down the line to make up time, and you have a perfect storm of a 47 minute wait.

Since when? Other cities have rules against passing your leader, but as far as I know, the MTA didn't adopt that policy.

2 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

They aren't brand new anymore and the headways on the Q111/113/114 have been reduced as a result of running articulated buses

Unfortunately, the MTA is violating its own guidelines of only putting artics on frequent routes. Especially on the individual branches, the Q113/114 are not that frequent.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:10 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Since when? Other cities have rules against passing your leader, but as far as I know, the MTA didn't adopt that policy.

That rule existed when I rode buses to/from high school in the early 1980's. Some drivers followed it so strictly that entire routes would grind to a halt if one bus broke down (because nobody wanted to pass that bus).

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, the OP's bus service sucks, so let's extend the A train to Reeds lane into residential Far Rockaway so that he doesn't have to endure a 20 minute walk to Mott....

You aren't the only one saw that 😀. We had an instructor in school car who said that we'd eventually have riders who would want transit employees to walk them to their front door. The man had foresight. 

22 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Not a huge bus rider here, but I live on Houston st and I've only seen the m21 like two times in my entire life.

Reminds me of the B103 prior to the MTA taking over Command Bus :lol:

B103's are very common in Flatbush now, but I honestly can't recall ever seeing one prior to the formation of MTA Bus, I remember seeing every other bus in the area, but not the 103.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Reminds me of the B103 prior to the MTA taking over Command Bus :lol:

B103's are very common in Flatbush now, but I honestly can't recall ever seeing one prior to the formation of MTA Bus, I remember seeing every other bus in the area, but not the 103.

Same thing with the B100. Never saw it, maybe one, but until the mta took over they were seen for days. Now that route is one of the best I have ever taken. But it’s not so great at night. 

The Q60 is the one that sucks. I'd be waiting near 63 Drive on some days headed to Forest Hills (whenever I don't feel like walking) and it NEVER shows up. And by the time it shows up there's usually a crowded line waiting to get on. I could rant about the Q38 since I live slightly closer to it but I don't ever have to use it so I'll keep quite. I might have heard of a Q88 complaint once in my life 

Archived