Student Metrocard discussion thread

• 2 months later...

14 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

The thing that sucks about student metrocards is that you only have 3 train and bus rides on it. And you only have from 5 AM to 8:30 PM to use it

I think there are some with four rides for use on trips where multiple bus transfers are required.

Sometimes I'll use mine on a weekday when school is closed. I went to ride the Enviro500 to the ETC on the X17J yesterday, and used my Student MetroCard to get back home because I had one ride left on it. I only just managed to get the (R) at 86th Street at 8:20.

• 2 weeks later...

Some students in NYC with Student MetroCard can't be used on Bee-Line Bus or NICE Bus.

I remember one scenio I was Bee-Line 2 bus from Yonkers and 2 students with NYC StudentMetroCard didn't know Bee-Line bus can't use NYCB issue Student MetroCard, so nice LibertyLines driver let them on.

I remember when I was on direct n20 bus before split on Hicksville-bound n20 bus, some student try to paid with NYCB Student MetroCard which wasn't accepted and I told her NYC Student MetroCard can't use and bus driver told her too.

Also when I was on n22X Jamaica Bus ride from Hicksville, at Roosevelt Field Mall, two students who had NYC StudentMetroCard only explains to Transdev driver that they didn't know NYC student metrocard cannot be used.

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, Strawberrybnny said:

Yall i've been wandering about this for a long time. I have a half fare card and i need to take 2 buses to school. So after i dip my card on the first bus, do i have to ask for a separate transfer or is the transfer on my card? 

Transfer should be on your card. 

21 hours ago, Strawberrybnny said:

I I made a transfer with my half fare card this morning, the screen said transfer ok but the noise was a boop instead of a beep. Is that normal? 

On 9/26/2018 at 12:11 PM, SevenEleven said:

Transfer should be on your card. 

I made a transfer with my half fare card but the noise made a boop instead of the regular “beeep” however, the screen said transfer ok. What does that mean? 

I really like to see picture of Westchester County's Bee-Line Bus StudentMetroCard and NICE Bus' Student Pass Card.

I remember one time when I was on BL/W2 from Gettys Square back to 242nd St, Bee-Line Bus drivers were nice enough to let two students who weren't aware NYCBOE issued Student MetroCard can be used.

Another time on weekday, when I was on NICE Bus n22X, NICE Bus drivers denies at Roosevelt Field Mall and forced them to paid $2.75.

I remember during 9-11-01 after I was going to HSES from Mount Siani Hospital, I had Student MetroCard that good for school days only.

I used one on M106 from 5th Av/98th St, then wasted at 103rd St (B)(C) station, and I was dedicate to go to school and wasted again at 96th St (1)(2)(3). After passenger told me, no train, I rushed to Riverdale Av/97th St for sardined M5 bus to 72nd St Subway Station for M57 bus. I got free transfer to M5.

After school, my mom picked up and my Student MetroCard was empty when we took M31 bus.

• 1 month later...

What I wished they did was put those students on the EasyPay program and simply have educational institutions subsidize the cost. This way you can have a card that works with Bee-Line and NICE and can be replaced if it's lost or stolen with the balance you previously had. I wish they streamlined it so that people didn't have to wait ten days, and that full fare customers could benefit from the dual use mode that seniors enjoy.

However, they will not work with PATH or JFK AirTrain (unlimited version).

Upstate, a system like that is already in place, called "Universal Access." My suggestion is more ad-hoc though. At the February 2015 public meeting at the Westchester County Center, I mentioned the above idea.

• 7 months later...
On 7/21/2019 at 3:49 PM, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

Universal Access passes for academic institutions in the Capital Region have been deactivated. Please use your Navigator or cash fare to pay going forward.

Update 7/25/2019

Turns out that wasn't supposed to happen. The glitch has since been fixed.

• 1 month later...