An n32 bus skipped a stop I was waiting at together with other people

EphraimB

A month ago, I was waiting at a certain n32 bus stop in Cedarhurst to get back home along with other people. I saw the bus coming and got ready for the bus to pull in but the driver drove past my stop. I ran huffing and puffing to the next stop a few blocks away when the driver opened the door to the bus. I asked the bus driver why he skipped my stop and he told me that he wasn't able to pull in.

Since then, every time I wait for the bus and the bus comes, I walk into the street a little so I wouldn't have a bus driver make this excuse to me. It is risky but that's my only choice.

I believe the driver because the n32 always crawls through Downtown Cedarhurst along Central Avenue when en route to either Far Rockaway or Hempstead. Some cars tend to park near the bus stop, which makes it pretty hard for the driver to pull in and pick up passengers.

8 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Complete lack of accountability from this bus agency.  This crap would never fly with the MTA.  No wonder this bus agency keeps losing passengers.  Instead of apologizing, they will make excuses if you call to complain.

I couldn't agree more with that customer service statement! It's telling that, for instance, the information booth at Hempstead is often unstaffed, even during hours when it is "open". However, this clearly is not the attitude that Transdev has everywhere, as some of their French subsidiaries have been kind enough to mail me maps as a kind gesture.

It's also interesting that OP mentioned that this occurred on the n32. As someone who uses that, as well as the n31, several times a week, they are arguably among the "best" of NICE's operations.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:42 PM, NY1635 said:

I believe the driver because the n32 always crawls through Downtown Cedarhurst along Central Avenue when en route to either Far Rockaway or Hempstead. Some cars tend to park near the bus stop, which makes it pretty hard for the driver to pull in and pick up passengers.

So the B/O is supposed to pull as close to the curb as safely possible, kneel the bus and let the people on, not just bypass the stop because he doesn't feel like stopping.

The bus drivers are being very "NICE" by skipping stops that people are waiting at because they can't pull in. At least once I'm on the NICE busses (I've only been on the n31, n32, and n33) it drives fast and not crazy slow like the Q113/Q114 drives. A lot of times I feel imprisoned being on the Q113/Q114 busses because it takes forever to get to the next stop.

The only nice things the "NICE" busses are doing are automated announcements, opening the rear doors automatically, and driving fast like a bus should drive. The mean things the "NICE" busses are doing are saying the automated announcements too late (if you press the "request a stop" button when you hear it announcing your stop, it stops by the next stop), skipping stops that they can't pull in, and running very infrequently.

By the way about NICE busses losing ridership, the n32 I took back to Far Rockaway was very crowded that I couldn't get a seat.

On 2/15/2018 at 12:14 AM, EphraimB said:

By the way about NICE busses losing ridership, the n32 I took back to Far Rockaway was very crowded that I couldn't get a seat.

The N31/32 buses are retaining quite a bit of their riders (going to queens could be why, as usual), but as quality continues to the deteriorate with NICE, all routes in general are losing some to high portion of their riders, and dont want to put up with crappy bus service in relatively pricey Long island. I dont think it doesn't necessarily mean you wont get a crowded bus (I have, quite often). Could also be a service infrequency, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The N31/32 buses are retaining quite a bit of their riders (going to queens could be why, as usual), but as quality continues to the deteriorate with NICE, all routes in general are losing some to high portion of their riders, and dont want to put up with crappy bus service in relatively pricey Long island. I dont think it doesn't necessarily mean you wont get a crowded bus (I have, quite often). Could also be a service infrequency, just my opinion.

The NICE bus system goes through the affordable parts of Long Island (Hempstead, New Cassel, Baldwin, Westbury, North Valley Stream, Elmont, Uniondale, Freeport North of Merrick Road). The pricey parts like South Shore, North Shore, and everything NE of Northern Blvd don't have bus service. All the ridership loses were caused by declining usage in routes like the n14,n17, n45, n46, n47, n51, n36, n19 to Babylon, n81, n72 to Babylon, and n27 due to factors. It's a mixture of things like South Shore getting wealthier, supermarkets like Walbums and Pathmark going out of business which hurts the shopping centers, Briarcliff shutting down, and malls feeling the sting of major retail giants like Sears and Toy-R-Us going out of business. Individually, the n23 going to Hempstead killed the n27 and the n24 to Hicksville killed the n22A.

5 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The NICE bus system goes through the affordable parts of Long Island (Hempstead, New Cassel, Baldwin, Westbury, North Valley Stream, Elmont, Uniondale, Freeport North of Merrick Road). The pricey parts like South Shore, North Shore, and everything NE of Northern Blvd don't have bus service. All the ridership loses were caused by declining usage in routes like the n14,n17, n45, n46, n47, n51, n36, n19 to Babylon, n81, n72 to Babylon, and n27 due to factors. It's a mixture of things like South Shore getting wealthier, supermarkets like Walbums and Pathmark going out of business which hurts the shopping centers, Briarcliff shutting down, and malls feeling the sting of major retail giants like Sears and Toy-R-Us going out of business. Individually, the n23 going to Hempstead killed the n27 and the n24 to Hicksville killed the n22A.

The n57/58 still run through expensive parts of the North Shore (and have decent ridership).

And not sure how extending the n24 to Hicksville would cause a decline in usage on the n22A. If anything, it would increase usage, since the longer length means it's more unreliable, making it more likely that riders at the RFM see an n22A to Jamaica pull up before an n24.

8 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Neither have officially went out of business yet, though the future for Sears is much more bleak than Toys R Us.....

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

.....And not sure how extending the n24 to Hicksville would cause a decline in usage on the n22A. If anything, it would increase usage, since the longer length means it's more unreliable, making it more likely that riders at the RFM see an n22A to Jamaica pull up before an n24.

In actuality, I'd say there was a better chance of catching the n24 over the n22a out of RFM.... The N22a was one of those buses you took, if it just so happened to arrive before the 22/24..... It wasn't a route that the masses primarily used/went out seeking.... It wasn't frequent enough.... My opinion is that, that variant should have been made to be more attractive than what it was (instead of ever coming out with that n22L shit).... Instead, they chose to kill it off, to cut the n22 short turns back to Mineola...

I think I see what he's getting at & don't necessarily disagree (although I wouldn't say killed exactly), but to make the same point, I'd say the creation of the other 22 variants (n22L & n22x) made the n22a that much less important... The n24 changes also had that effect on the n22a... It's as if the n24 was made a little more prevalent/popular, when it got that extension.... It was always a sought after route.

------------------

This is a separate point, but the n24 b/w the county line & Mineola easily sees more usage/stop than the n22... If it's anything that should be ending at Mineola more (for reliability reasons), it's the n24.... n22's OTOH shouldn't be short turning at Mineola at all, and instead, going to RFM at all times.... It always seemed as if there was a greater demand for the n22 out of RFM over the n24 (simply because the n22 is quicker going to/from Jamaica over the n24, I'd fathom)... n22 b/w the county line & Mineola is quicker than the n24 during the rush....

Driving home, most days I take Hillside over Old Country, but if I want to stop off at some fast food spots, I take Old Country... Lol.... And I see way more people waiting for n24's (either direction) along that stretch of Old Country.... So to sum it up, with the n22, it's more people (per stop) waiting at less stops & with the n24, it's less people (per stop) waiting at more stops..... Now east of RFM, the n24 is quicker & the n22 by far & large sees more ridership, period (regardless of pax/stop distribution).....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Neither have officially went out of business yet, though the future for Sears is much more bleak than Toys R Us.....

In actuality, I'd say there was a better chance of catching the n24 over the n22a out of RFM.... The N22a was one of those buses you took, if it just so happened to arrive before the 22/24..... It wasn't a route that the masses primarily used/went out seeking.... It wasn't frequent enough.... My opinion is that, that variant should have been made to be more attractive than what it was (instead of ever coming out with that n22L shit).... Instead, they chose to kill it off, to cut the n22 short turns back to Mineola...

I think I see what he's getting at & don't necessarily disagree (although I wouldn't say killed exactly), but to make the same point, I'd say the creation of the other 22 variants (n22L & n22x) made the n22a that much less important... The n24 changes also had that effect on the n22a... It's as if the n24 was made a little more prevalent/popular, when it got that extension.... It was always a sought after route.

------------------

This is a separate point, but the n24 b/w the county line & Mineola easily sees more usage/stop than the n22... If it's anything that should be ending at Mineola more (for reliability reasons), it's the n24.... n22's OTOH shouldn't be short turning at Mineola at all, and instead, going to RFM at all times.... It always seemed as if there was a greater demand for the n22 out of RFM over the n24 (simply because the n22 is quicker going to/from Jamaica over the n24, I'd fathom)... n22 b/w the county line & Mineola is quicker than the n24 during the rush....

Driving home, most days I take Hillside over Old Country, but if I want to stop off at some fast food spots, I take Old Country... Lol.... And I see way more people waiting for n24's (either direction) along that stretch of Old Country.... So to sum it up, with the n22, it's more people (per stop) waiting at less stops & with the n24, it's less people (per stop) waiting at more stops..... Now east of RFM, the n24 is quicker & the n22 by far & large sees more ridership, period (regardless of pax/stop distribution).....

I meant that NICE really wants people to use the n24 for travel to Jamaica, RFM, Mineola, and Hicksville to lessen the burden on the n22. The n22 and the n22x are mostly for people in Westbury/New Cassel and on Hillside between Willis Avenue and City Line. The n22s has more riders because it runs through residential New Cassel, the n35 terminates in the middle of nowhere up there instead of the NYCB Theater, plus hardly anyone uses the n24 between Merrick Ave and Hicksville along Old Country.  The n22a and the n22L got axed because it was giving the n22 "too much" service to Hicksville at least in comparison to the n6 which has little to no help between Jamaica and Elmont. I don't know how to explain this any further aside from people in Nassau not wanting to share the bus with people from other parts of Nassau or the City, hence the whole Westbury/New Cassel mention.

13 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I meant that NICE really wants people to use the n24 for travel to Jamaica, RFM, Mineola, and Hicksville to lessen the burden on the n22. The n22 and the n22x are mostly for people in Westbury/New Cassel and on Hillside between Willis Avenue and City Line. The n22s has more riders because it runs through residential New Cassel, the n35 terminates in the middle of nowhere up there instead of the NYCB Theater, plus hardly anyone uses the n24 between Merrick Ave and Hicksville along Old Country.  The n22a and the n22L got axed because it was giving the n22 "too much" service to Hicksville at least in comparison to the n6 which has little to no help between Jamaica and Elmont. I don't know how to explain this any further aside from people in Nassau not wanting to share the bus with people from other parts of Nassau or the City, hence the whole Westbury/New Cassel mention.

NICE may want more people using 24's over 22's overall, but that's simply not going to happen, as long as the 22:
- remains being significantly quicker than the n24 b/w Jamaica & RFM....
- remains being more useful b/w Hicksville & RFM...

(finally) Cutting those worthless Reckson Bldg. trips all back to RFM isn't remotely enough to make the n24 as attractive.....

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I still think it's absurd that people move to suburbs and then complain about bus service. 

Nassau privatized their bus system and haven't done a good job of informing the general public about the service changes. Mangano was pretty hands off while NICE handled the information by themselves. I have no idea what Curran has in store for the buses because she just started her term as County Executive and that she has the ex-LIRR president in her administration.

2 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Nassau privatized their bus system and haven't done a good job of informing the general public about the service changes. Mangano was pretty hands off while NICE handled the information by themselves. I have no idea what Curran has in store for the buses because she just started her term as County Executive and that she has the ex-LIRR president in her administration.

Isn't she a Democrat? This is gonna be fun. I wanna see what all of naysayers say with her in office. Where is she going to get more funding from when her constituents are already fuming about how overtaxed they are?

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Isn't she a Democrat? This is gonna be fun. I wanna see what all of naysayers say with her in office. Where is she going to get more funding from when her constituents are already fuming about how overtaxed they are?

I don't know since NIFA controls the county's budget and the county executive has to do what they recommend, or make modifications to the budget that pleases the state board. Her constituents hate NIFA, the previous Town of Hempstead Supervisor, Mangano, and were wary of Martins. 

On 2/17/2018 at 10:59 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I still think it's absurd that people move to suburbs and then complain about bus service. 

Except the guy lives in Far Rockaway.

And with the ridership some of these suburban routes (higher than some of our urban routes), like it or not, there's a lot of "absurd" people out there.

In any case, suburban or not, a B/O bypassing a stop because he was too lazy to pull in is unacceptable, regardless of where you are.

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

And with the ridership some of these suburban routes (higher than some of our urban routes), like it or not, there's a lot of "absurd" people out there.

In any case, suburban or not, a B/O bypassing a stop because he was too lazy to pull in is unacceptable, regardless of where you are.

That stretch of Central Avenue where OP boarded the bus is pretty congested. If the B/O wasn't able to pull in that I took it to mean a car was parked at the bus stop in Cedarhurst. The only route in the system where B/Os are too lazy to pull in is the n6 locals. Even though the n32 is one of the busiest routes in the systems, the passengers are all coming from the same stops along the route between Hempstead and Far Rockaway.

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I don't care who lives where. My point still stands and I'm entitled to my opinion. They want "city-like" services in the suburbs. Get real. Oh NICE is so bad. Well hello. Of course it's bad. No one wants to fund the damn thing because they would rather dollars go elsewhere. The sooner people realize that the better. Anytime I'm on Long Island, I am picked up or take car service from the LIRR. People don't give a damn about bus service and I'm sure most would rather it go away entirely.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't care who lives where. My point still stands and I'm entitled to my opinion. They want "city-like" services in the suburbs. Get real. Oh NICE is so bad. Well hello. Of course it's bad. No one wants to fund the damn thing because they would rather dollars go elsewhere. The sooner people realize that the better. Anytime I'm on Long Island, I am picked up or take car service from the LIRR. People don't give a damn about bus service and I'm sure most would rather it go away entirely.

There are alot of Nassau that basically is Queens at this point. They got apartment in Hempstead literally. Density is not a problem out there, altitude is.

Archived