Outcome of a train coupled with R32 and R160 cars

EphraimB

I'm curious what would happen if a train would get coupled with half of them being R160s and the other half being R32s in regular service. I know that is not technically possible but let's say that happens. Do you think there would be a lot of crowding on the R160 half of the train with a lot of room on the R32 part of the train?

Other than the fact that it’s nit actually possible and the train can’t operate (an adaptor can be used to add the two trains together in an emergency) regular riders do not car. Most do not notice the difference from one car class to the next.

Just now, INDman said:

Other than the fact that it’s nit actually possible and the train can’t operate (an adaptor can be used to add the two trains together in an emergency) regular riders do not car. Most do not notice the difference from one car class to the next.

Then why was there so much passenger complaints on the C line about the R32s?

I’m sure some do know the difference, but I’ve seen a shocking number complain about R160s and ask they don’t have any new train on the line as an R160 plus in. But going back to your hypothetical question, people will get on anything that they think is going where they want to go.

This sort of beats around the fact the R32s are married pairs and the 160s are 4 or 5 car linked sets.

So you by default would be stuck with a train of awkward size and shape. There would have to be more of one than the other unless you're content with an 8 car train. 

The only way to make a 10 car train is 6 R32s and a 160A-1 set.

Archived