MTA Conductors Spill 10 Secrets of the NYC Subway System

Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

You didn't have shop class?

I don't take shop classes until next year. I'm a freshman in high school.

Anyways back on topic. Most of these "secrets" aren't really secrets at all, some of these things can bee seen by the common public. Like crazy things happening and the (E) train. And for the oblivious, yes. Train traffic is a thing. Have they ever heard of something called signals?

4 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

And for the oblivious, yes. Train traffic is a thing. Have they ever heard of something called signals?

Wish I still had the pic from the day I finally walked the Bk Bridge in November, got on the Lex, and we were held at Wall St bc of train traffic due to the GO.

I stepped out the car (first car bc living on SI, you ride the first car on the Lex so you go right up the stairs at Bowling Green), looked in the tunnel and there was a (5) stopped in the tunnel 50 ft ahead of my train because of signal or switch problems or something.

20 minutes til the train moved, not including the 15 it took to get from Bk Bridge to Wall St.

Train traffic is a real thing. It’s just BS when you waited on the platform 10 minutes  for the train and it stops for hella time when everyone knows ain’t no damn train ahead that needs to clear the station.

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Speaking of shop classes, what school did you attend. Just asking?

Apparently, now it's called William E. Grady CTE HS (*shrugs*).... But when I attended, it was called William E. Grady T.V.H.S. (Technical Vocational high school).....

Glad I went there, instead of Transit Tech....

57 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Shop classes are a rarity in non-technical schools nowadays, which is a shame because that's one of the classes where right away, you can see the application in real-life.

Werd. Damn shame so many folks today don’t know how to use a screwdriver or a monkey wrench.

Might’ve spent woodshop building birdhouses, or auto shop changing spark plugs, but like math classes, they taught how to follow diagrams and rules to solve problems yourself. More people need that skill.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Wish I still had the pic from the day I finally walked the Bk Bridge in November, got on the Lex, and we were held at Wall St bc of train traffic due to the GO.

I stepped out the car (first car bc living on SI, you ride the first car on the Lex so you go right up the stairs at Bowling Green), looked in the tunnel and there was a (5) stopped in the tunnel 50 ft ahead of my train because of signal or switch problems or something.

20 minutes til the train moved, not including the 15 it took to get from Bk Bridge to Wall St.

Train traffic is a real thing. It’s just BS when you waited on the platform 10 minutes  for the train and it stops for hella time when everyone knows ain’t no damn train ahead that needs to clear the station.

There are some here that will INSIST that it's otherwise. Like really people are not that stupid.

3 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

I don't take shop classes until next year. I'm a freshman in high school.

Man, I feel old.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Shop classes are a rarity in non-technical schools nowadays, which is a shame because that's one of the classes where right away, you can see the application in real-life.

Indeed. I was lucky to study Architecture in High School very hands on. Shop class was standard back in the 80's and 90's guess times have changed.

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Breaking up these schools into smaller ones isn't really helping the cause either..... What's rather embarrassing is that I feel like I learned more in high school than I did in college... I'll spare my college-is-the-biggest-scam-going rant for now.....

7 hours ago, Eric B said:

I thought I heard several years ago that they were closing Grady. Good to know they just retooled it.

Grady went to absolute shit after 1999 (which was the year I graduated).... So much so that they dropped the "Technical Vocational" from its name...

Had a cousin that went there from 2003-2007.... I'm not one of these, rah rah rah, yeayyyy, gooooo Falcons, woooooo, school spirit types, but I have to admit I was appalled/shocked at the stories he would tell.... When he told me that they had police officers (not just truancy, but actual NYPD) walking around inside & outside the school campus on random occasions, I kept saying to myself, wtf happened man..... Damn....

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Well, what's wrong with transit tech? I go there everyday as a student and nothing bad happens (there's high security, good teachers, etc.) . In fact that neighborhood is making quite a comeback!

There's no need to be defensive, I'll just put it in perspective....

You are a freshman in Transit Tech here in 2018....  I was a HS freshman in 1995....

Yeah, I'm a fossil :(

5 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Indeed. I was lucky to study Architecture in High School very hands on. Shop class was standard back in the 80's and 90's guess times have changed.

Same (well, for 2 yrs. anyway)....

As a HS freshman & sophomore, I actually had 2 shop classes - Architecture/CAD (computer aided drafting) & Computer Engineering.... At the end of my sophomore year, I was asked (well, forced) to choose b/w the two, as I could no longer "double up".... I ended up choosing Computer Engineering.

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

Werd. Damn shame so many folks today don’t know how to use a screwdriver or a monkey wrench.

Might’ve spent woodshop building birdhouses, or auto shop changing spark plugs, but like math classes, they taught how to follow diagrams and rules to solve problems yourself. More people need that skill.

Millennials killed home depot, lowe's, etc. - so they say....

Who needs home depot when you'll be 40 & fabulous, living with your "college breaux's", working some job, resorting to pooling together to pay off some exorbitant rent in some trendy neighborhood, instead of owning a home.... Or even possessing the ambition to want your own :(

It's absolutely a shame, and I think it's also embarrassing that you have grown ass men out here that couldn't discern a phillips head from a flat head screwdriver..... That couldn't discern a monkeywrench from a pair of pliers.... That think that "nuts & bolts" is nothing more than an idiom for the practicality of hard work.... That think that allen keys are like, um, you know, "keys that like, open your apartment door, or something"....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Who needs home depot when you'll be 40 & fabulous, living with your "college breaux's", working some job, resorting to pooling together to pay off some exorbitant rent in some trendy neighborhood, instead of owning a home.... Or even possessing the ambition to want your own :(

Man... well said ! See it all the time on this side 3-4 people in an apartment at 32 years ago. That's one thing me and my siblings were taught young!! Ownership!! My grandfather used to always say "You have to own some dirt that's the gateway to wealth" Very thankful for that looking back.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It's absolutely a shame, and I think it's also embarrassing that you have grown ass men out here that couldn't discern a phillips head from a flat head screwdriver..... That couldn't discern a monkeywrench from a pair of pliers.... That think that "nuts & bolts" is nothing more than an idiom for the practicality of hard work.... That think that allen keys are like, um, you know, "keys that like, open your apartment door, or something"....

:lol::D    The game isn't the same... lol!!

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As a HS freshman & sophomore, I actually had 2 shop classes - Architecture/CAD (computer aided drafting) & Computer Engineering.... At the end of my sophomore year, I was asked (well, forced) to choose b/w the two, as I could no longer "double up".... I ended up choosing Computer Engineering.

4 years of Architecture for me... Art & Design Alum. Did a lot of hands-on drafting.. Continued with Civil / Environmental Engeerning in Unversity with a lot of Java/C+ and CAD there. Took me into CAD / 3D design for my 1st few jobs before finally setting in Software development. But yeah the hands-on elements are so.so important.. Really a shame if kids aren't getting that nowadays.

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Millenials killed Home Depot because most millenials couldn't afford the down payment on a house even if they wanted to, between the student loans, the inability of the housing market to keep up with demand, etc. The entire economy is set up for Baby Boomers and that's about it. (Also, today I found out I'm not actually a Millenial - apparently those are '80s to mid-'90s kids. Weird.)

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Breaking up these schools into smaller ones isn't really helping the cause either..... What's rather embarrassing is that I feel like I learned more in high school than I did in college... I'll spare my college-is-the-biggest-scam-going rant for now.....

Yeah, I'm a fossil :(

College is the biggest scam for certain things. Unfortunately, these days every job needs a Bachelor's, so that's also part of the problem. (No, Associates' aren't worth jack). We've also got to get rid of the notion that non-college-level jobs are not desirable, or not careers, etc. But all those middle class picket fence homeowners don't see the need to teach shop in school, because they think their child is going to wind up at Harvard Law or Columbia Medical when really they're going to go to Rutgers and get a degree in Alcoholism.

The real problem with education in this country is at the elementary and middle school levels; if you show up to high school without the ability to learn you're already lost.

31 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

College is the biggest scam for certain things. Unfortunately, these days every job needs a Bachelor's, so that's also part of the problem. (No, Associates' aren't worth jack). We've also got to get rid of the notion that non-college-level jobs are not desirable, or not careers, etc. But all those middle class picket fence homeowners don't see the need to teach shop in school, because they think their child is going to wind up at Harvard Law or Columbia Medical when really they're going to go to Rutgers and get a degree in Alcoholism.

The real problem with education in this country is at the elementary and middle school levels; if you show up to high school without the ability to learn you're already lost.

I’ve done fine having gone to university and not graduating (with little desire to go back). I mean, I sell stuff for a living - like many graduates, and thanks to two of the four startups I’ve been at, one I’m just waiting for the IPO to happen to pad my retirement, and the current one - assuming I and the two founders can “make it happen,” I’ll make a killing since my options equal 5% of total shares (this is an early early stage startup, so nothing’ Been split or diluted yet).

And if I stick with it instead of running back to real estate, since I’m the ops manager for customer experience, when I go for my next job at another company  I’ll be a sales director.

Folks can make it without those post-nominals, but not having them leads to being pigeonholed into particular industries. The fact we no longer have a robust employment system that values non-graduates for anything but basic jobs or government jobs is a shame.

The fact that both parties screwed over the population by not having a consensus on taxation and education funding means that soon, the wealthy will be the plumbers and electricians because schools don’t teach anything about home economics and maintenance. Perhaps that failure explains why we can’t build stuff today more durable than when us Gen Y’ers grandparents were on the GM and Ford assembly lines.

I used to ride the E or F (whichever came first), from 71st Avenue to 42nd Street at around 0420 weekdays....and I would have to agree that the 'E' usually had a lot more homeless on board than the 'F'.    I believe one of the reason's is that at the 'E; terminus at Jamaica Center, they simply reverse directions, while at 179th Street, they eject everyone while taking the train into the tunnel, and back on the outbound platform....thus the homeless have learned that they can just sleep thru the turnaround on the 'E; train....

Sorry, all of us who graduated high school before 2001 are Gen Y; millennials come afterward.

From Wikipedia:

Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years. Millennials are sometimes referred to as "echo boomers" due to a major surge in birth rates in the 1980s and 1990s, and because millennials are often the children of the baby boomers. The 20th-century trend toward smaller families in developed countries continued, however, so the relative impact of the "baby boom echo" was generally less pronounced than the post–World War II baby boom.

I’ve done fine having gone to university and not graduating (with little desire to go back). I mean, I sell stuff for a living - like many graduates, and thanks to two of the four startups I’ve been at, one I’m just waiting for the IPO to happen to pad my retirement, and the current one - assuming I and the two founders can “make it happen,” I’ll make a killing since my options equal 5% of total shares (this is an early early stage startup, so nothing’ Been split or diluted yet).

And if I stick with it instead of running back to real estate, since I’m the ops manager for customer experience, when I go for my next job at another company  I’ll be a sales director.

Folks can make it without those post-nominals, but not having them leads to being pigeonholed into particular industries. The fact we no longer have a robust employment system that values non-graduates for anything but basic jobs or government jobs is a shame.

The fact that both parties screwed over the population by not having a consensus on taxation and education funding means that soon, the wealthy will be the plumbers and electricians because schools don’t teach anything about home economics and maintenance. Perhaps that failure explains why we can’t build stuff today more durable than when us Gen Y’ers grandparents were on the GM and Ford assembly lines.

This is really the consequence of putting MBAs in charge of every company post 1980; the Bachelor's becomes the minimum bar, consumption from planned obsolescence makes the share price look better, all sorts of short-sighted crap. The worst part is that both parties somehow bought the Kool-aid and managed to tilt the economy too far towards college, without either improving the quality of education in the country or providing viable alternatives.

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Millenials killed Home Depot because most millenials couldn't afford the down payment on a house even if they wanted to, between the student loans, the inability of the housing market to keep up with demand, etc. The entire economy is set up for Baby Boomers and that's about it.

(Also, today I found out I'm not actually a Millenial - apparently those are '80s to mid-'90s kids. Weird.)

The point you're raising here was ultimately what I was getting at.... They're doing all this shacking up because they can't afford it..... A lot of millennials aren't for home ownership (hell, I hear it from my own siblings).....

Gen-Xers & Millennials get pitted as being lazy by Boomers, but a lot of 'Boomers are ridiculously selfish.... They got their 40 acres & a mule, had all the kids they had, on some "you better get yours 'cause I got mine" bit.... And so goes the economy.....

As far as the grandparent/grandkid dynamic goes, Silents tend to sympathize with Gen-Xers, 'Boomers are always talking shit about Millennials, and Gen-Xers I find are emotionally distant from Gen-Zers....

-----------------

Anyway, How old are you though?

5 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The societal looking down on blue collar jobs & the over-praisal of obtaining/holding a white collar position have always angered me.... I wish I could have landed a blue collar job that had me making the same (or more) than what I am now.... The fact that I'm sitting in an office for 1/2 the workday doesn't make me better than the guy getting down & dirty in the trenches.... I'm simply not on that.... The attitudes some of the other managers have where I work, tends to disgust me; "well ___________, let them do that, that's what they're paid for (with a stupid giggle afterwards)".... Sometimes I check them, sometimes I don't even bother (in an effort to try to keep peace).....

Another societal problem is that (IMO), most middle managers & upper managers are not relatable to those that work under them..... They get their title, they get their money, they start dehumanizing those under them in the workplace, they get stuck on stupid.... I don't care enough to want to go on a power trip, I want to do what I have to do & get the hell out of here at the end of the day... Sick of Nassau county as it is already.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Sorry, all of us who graduated high school before 2001 are Gen Y; millennials come afterward.

Gen Z comes afterward (those that are just graduated high school to those that are in their early 20's).... Millennials is a cute term for Gen Y.....

Us Gen-Xers graduated before the dawn of the 21st century, and I agree.... Millennials have a completely different mindset than Gen X-ers..... Although I get where they're coming from with how they have to go about life, I can't completely subscribe to it b/c I was raised by Boomers & Silents.....

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Another societal problem is that (IMO), most middle managers & upper managers are not relatable to those that work under them..... They get their title, they get their money, they start dehumanizing those under them in the workplace, they get stuck on stupid.... I don't care enough to want to go on a power trip, I want to do what I have to do & get the hell out of here at the end of the day... Sick of Nassau county as it is already.

Tell them to watch Trading Places (1983 film).

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Boomers, but a lot of 'Boomers are ridiculously selfish.... They got their 40 acres & a mule, had all the kids they had, on some "you better get yours 'cause I got mine" bit.... And so goes the economy.....

So true!!! And a lot of the Boomers success was earned by there Parents (The Greatest Generation) and their contribution. After the War there kids Received the fruit of their labor and sacrifice expanded middle-class stable economic growth. They didn't earn it they ran the Country into the ground during the 70's and 80's derivative's, greed, trickery...you name it  And now everyone else is lazy.... selfish indeed!!

5 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

So true!!! And a lot of the Boomers success was earned by there Parents (The Greatest Generation) and their contribution. After the War there kids Received the fruit of their labor and sacrifice expanded middle-class stable economic growth. They didn't earn it they ran the Country into the ground during the 70's and 80's derivative's, greed, trickery...you name it  And now everyone else is lazy.... selfish indeed!!

History is cyclical, you know? We’re going to get a massive upheaval in our lifetime. The United States is a declining power (just as the Romans, Ottomans, Incas, etc. were). I’m getting my ass out of the western world (that includes their socioeconomic allies) before that happens. You’ve got your sign, folks:

y7LrC4y.jpg

(not this guy’s fault; he’s just a symptom of the cancer spreading)

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

History is cyclical, you know? We’re going to get a massive upheaval in our lifetime. The United States is a declining power (just as the Romans, Ottomans, Incas, etc. were). I’m getting my ass out of the western world (that includes their socioeconomic allies) before that happens. You’ve got your sign, folks:

y7LrC4y.jpg

The United States was a declining power... Thanks to Trump, America is returning to its glory.

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

y7LrC4y.jpg

You're not lying we're losing our edge. I've known this for sometime but it's never been as apparent as now at least from my perspective. I got a chance to attend a new tech conference around Blockchain so much of the talent and newer innovation is coming from outside the States. AI,Blockchain, Automation, Biotech. I got to speak with engineers planning fully automated Cities. All with or without the US being in the room it's not a game.. People are viewing us  as cancer as well.. I can't count the amount of times people are shocked I can have an objective conversation as an American when I'm traveling.. I Literally had someone shocked I was American when last in London.. Automatically assumed Canadian.. I have to be honest were looking crazy out here. SMH.  There just to many people talking here and not performing and doing too much overvaluation and overindulgence, this isn't sustainable. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The United States was a declining power... Thanks to Trump, America is returning to its glory.

So says the man that lives in the bubble. The rest of the world is catching up. Hyperboles arent going to be enough to get US through over the next 40 years. Mediocre and average arent going to cut it in the 21st. There was so much to go around In the second half of the 20th Century that blue Collar workers and the middle class got some of the action.Hell, it was built on that fact. Now In the age of intellectual wealth, that Equation isn't going to work. Every brain counts moving forward We're actually going to have to do some work for a change.

Archived