Capital Dashboard Goodies

Union Tpke

19 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

8 years minimum for Eighth Avenue CBTC? That's absurd.

We can't upgrade the subway at this excruciating pace.

This has to do with the R211s

"Budget updated to reflect latest estimate. The budget reflects the revised phasing of the project to reschedule a portion of the in-house support costs and carborne equipment install ation to the future 2020-2024 Capital Program to better align with construction and car procurement schedules."

17 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Project: T7120419

Description: Queens Depot Property and Environmental Prep

This project is for property acquisition for a potential new bus depot due to planned work in the vicinity of Mets-Willets Point station. Schedule dates are not available, due to project being under development.

I told you so.

The Airtrain project is supposed to go right over (or was it through?) the old depot.

22 hours ago, trainfan22 said:
21 hours ago, P3F said:

They are planning to remove Track 4 and straighten the other two tracks.

Seems legit

20 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Sad to think the next generation fleet for B division is planned and will be begin to be built while not even all the current fleet (R179) has been built and entered service. That's super rare and hard to look at.

As for cbtc on 8th av by 2026, I (and everyone else) will probably be growing wrinkles and gray hairs by the time CBTC expands to the whole city. We'll all be old by then!

latest?cb=20090808181716

Kind of disappointing, but a little expected at the same time, im just hoping it'll finish on time, and not be obsolete by then.

by the time CBTC is complete, we won't even need it. and ill be 50 by then

20 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I love how the MTA lets the subway devil isolate the people living in Eastern Queens, 3 Av, Utica and Nostrand from the subway...

...yet they haven't put out at least a study?

And yes, I'll either be in a grave, and like, 90 years old by the time CBTC is completed. 

Facts. Speaking of studies, they need to redo phase 3 and 4 of SAS. Also, what happened to the RBB study?

20 hours ago, Dannny said:

My guess is if it will take 8 years for them to complete CBTC on 8th ave, I see them doing both the (A)(C). Cant imagine it taking so long if it was only one line. 

Also, what is this 42nd st (S) reconstruction project I hear about? 

I wonder is the 8 Av CBTC includes CPW?

20 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Also, convert the existing 3-track shuttle operation to a 2-track, 6-car operation.

Seems Legit, but 6 cars? Why 6 cars?

18 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

If Bombardier had it's @#$%^ act together, this wouldn't be much of an issue. the whole 300 car order should have been in revenue service over a year ago.

there's no denial on that.

7 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

If I remember correctly, the straightening of the Times Square platform will also add a new exit/entrance to the shuttle at 42nd and 6th, and a connection to the 6th Avenue trains at Bryant Park.

We really need to push the MTA to change the timeline for projects like these and get costs in line with cities around the world. There's really no reason for this, and like people have said, existing signalling systems could very likely be obsolete in a decade. Paris fully automated their busiest line in five years. Their second-busiest service, Line 4, is being automated currently; they started in 2016 and will be partially done in 2020 and fully done by '22 at a cost of 70 million EUR (86m USD). Mind you, this is for full, driverless automation, which includes platform screen doors and other additional costs. We're doing the minimum in terms of automation, on a piecemeal, section-by-section basis and it's taking forever (look at the (L) and (7)) and costs are through the roof.

It's unacceptable, and I would stop work on these projects until we can get costs and timeframes at least close to our counterparts around the world.

Aa Ha! I knew they made changes to the converted 142As to 188 other than add CBTC, the sudden rise in MDBF in the converted sets didn't make sense, no way Corona Yard is that good to make the MDBF jump like it did, it was clear they made mechanical improvements in the conversion.

The only other change that I'm certain of was the modification of the T/O cab. now when are they gonna do something about the R142?

On 2/18/2018 at 6:14 PM, Union Tpke said:

Project: T7041416

Description: Circulation Improvements at Union Square on the Canarsie Line

This project will improve the passenger circulation at Union Squar e Station on the Canarsie Line. The new escalator will be installed from the east mezzanine to the platform on the Canarsie Line. The stairs from the Broadway line to the Canarsie line will also be modified.

Project: T7041415

Description: Station Capacity Enhancements at Myrtle Avenue on the Jamaica Line

This project will provide a new station entrance at the Myrtle Ave nue Station on the Jamaica Line in Brooklyn. The scope of work includes street stairs, a mezzanine extension, and a service area. Some schedule dates are not available, due to project being under development.

Project: T7130214

Cool; and escalator to the platform on the (L)! (Wish we had them in other places, instead of just slow elevators). I take it the eastern mezzanine is where the (4)(5)(6) is. That would be helpful, as an alternative to those winding flights of stairs.

I take it at Myrtle, they will put back the stairs and exit to the other side of the street? It would be nice again to not have to go all the way over to what is really the former Myrtle el headhouse  (and thus not under the Myrtle line, but rather past it). They could also add a B54 stop on that side, so you wouldn't have to wait for the incredibly long light just to get to the far side entrance.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:06 PM, kosciusko said:

Finally some news!

Dug this up from google: "This project will rehabilitate Times Square Station on the 42nd Street Shuttle Line, inclusive of congestion mitigation measures. Work will include installation of a wider stairway from the shuttle mezzanine to street level, installation of new Control Area on the shuttle mezzanine/bottom of stairway and removal of about 21 columns. Project will be coordinated with ADA project at station, which will include replacement of deficient components and reconfiguration of station to mitigate congestion." Couldn't find more details.

Not an acceptable timeline. At this rate by the time we have CBTC online it will be obsolete.

9 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

If I remember correctly, the straightening of the Times Square platform will also add a new exit/entrance to the shuttle at 42nd and 6th, and a connection to the 6th Avenue trains at Bryant Park.

That is correct. It is unclear whether it will be in-system.

It should be, as the 6th Ave. end (which has been visible for a decade now) will open to the in-system side of the gate. (It has a door now, and the start of the passage is the space on the other side of the fencing behind [alongside] the stairs).

It will probably use the former exit to the old building that was walled off and made into station rooms on the far side platform. It will also have a mid block entrance to the arcade. All of this was promised to the tenants of the new building, and it seems this reconstruction of the TSQ is what they were holding that end of it up for.

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The Livonia-Junius transfer will be under construction starting in Dec 2019.

I had asked about that at the (L) hearing, and they said it was in the Capital Plan. I wasn't sure they were actually going ahead with it.

14 minutes ago, Dannny said:

Yes it would, since CPW is part of the 8th Av line. 

CBTC is only planned for below 59 St-Columbus Circle, so CPW will not get it.

OeN5you.png

http://web.mta.info/capital/pdf/2015-2019-Program_APPROVEDv5_reduced.pdf (page 129)

According to the A/C Line Review, the signals above 59 St were modernized recently, which I'm guessing is why that segment not getting CBTC.

i9cLn8i.png

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/AC_LineReview.pdf (page 52)

1 hour ago, Mysterious2train said:

http://web.mta.info/capital/pdf/2015-2019-Program_APPROVEDv5_reduced.pdf (page 129)

According to the A/C Line Review, the signals above 59 St were modernized recently, which I'm guessing is why that segment not getting CBTC.

This is another annoying part about MTA planning. Why do we pour money into resignalling an ancient system when CBTC is (or at least should be) around the corner? I understand that CBTC can't be rolled out universally now due to rolling stock issues, but surely we could do these upgrade projects to legacy systems (such as 59th Interlocking, CPW, and the 6th Avenue upgrade) at least with partial CBTC installation, or with CBTC installed but not yet activated (as it is, for the most part, on the Flushing Line).

Also, no CBTC for the Hoyt interlocking - but new signals that end at High Street, just short of an important merge? It's almost like Transit is determined to make the upgrade of their system as difficult as possible. For an eight-year-long project, we should be getting CBTC at least from 168 to Hoyt. To take nearly a decade and almost $400 million to get from Columbus Circle to High Street demonstrates exactly what's wrong with the way we approach subway upgrades.

1 hour ago, Mysterious2train said:

Unless the modernization was for CBTC, don’t understand why a) (MTA) didn’t make the modernization CBTC ready; b) why they’re gonna CBTC below 53rd only and c) are they gonna make (A)(C) compatible trainsets switch CBTC on and off at 50th and 42nd Streets?

Archived