MTA and NYC giving away Dunkin’ coffee to get homeless off subways and into shelters

Via Garibaldi 8

METRO EXCLUSIVE

NYC giving away Dunkin’ coffee to get homeless into shelters

By Shawn Cohen, Joe Marino and Bruce Golding

February 19, 2018 | 6:09pm | Updated

The Big Apple’s homeless now run on Dunkin’.

The NYPD recently launched a program that uses hot cups of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee to try to lure vagrants off the subways and into shelters, The Post has learned.

Cops and homeless-outreach workers are staffing a makeshift java bar inside the World Trade Center subway station, where they serve up free cups of joe to riders who spend their nights snoozing on the E train.

The pilot project, which was coordinated with the MTA, could be expanded elsewhere if it proves successful, law-enforcement sources said.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2018/02/19/nyc-giving-away-dunkin-donuts-to-get-homeless-into-shelters/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPMetroTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

What did I just read? Free coffee? And the cops swiped them back into the system? WHAT? Take the coffee (not DD but give em freaking 7/11 ones) and tell them to GTFO of the subway.

Equally bad.... Dunkin Donuts coffee is loaded with all sorts of garbage, so one isn't better than the other. Someone once offered me some being nice and I took it to be courteous. NEVER again. I got the worst headache, and then I read the ingredients and realized why. Loaded with tons of artificial ingredients.

I love that they think they can make the shelter system seem more attractive by giving homeless folks coffee. The issue with it isn’t that people don’t know about the system, it’s that it’s a disaster. Coffee outreach won’t make the shelters better. 

I have a feeling Dunkin’ Donuts was owed a political favor here. 

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Equally bad.... Dunkin Donuts coffee is loaded with all sorts of garbage, so one isn't better than the other. Someone once offered me some being nice and I took it to be courteous. NEVER again. I got the worst headache, and then I read the ingredients and realized why. Loaded with tons of artificial ingredients.

Yes, because the fact that the coffee isn’t organic and fair trade is the real crime here. 

Sorry you got a headache... 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

I love that they think they can make the shelter system seem more attractive by giving homeless folks coffee. The issue with it isn’t that people don’t know about the system, it’s that it’s a disaster. Coffee outreach won’t make the shelters better. 

Yes, because the fact that the coffee isn’t organic and fair trade is the real crime here. 

I'm just saying... They both suck. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I got the worst headache, and then I read the ingredients and realized why. Loaded with tons of artificial ingredients.

Natural is not an indication of healthfulness, and neither is artificial an indicator of toxicity. Maybe point out the specific ingredients?

19 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Natural is not an indication of healthfulness, and neither is artificial an indicator of toxicity. Maybe point out the specific ingredients?

Tell me something I don't know... "Natural" isn't regulated in any way and thus means nothing since there is nothing to define what "natural" is or what it means in terms of food, if anything.  Organic and GMO free is regulated.  In any event, I don't know why they didn't give them the donuts. There's a Dunkin' Donuts near me that opened a few years ago (I was not happy to see it open), and sometimes they throw out their donuts and they can be found scattered about.  I'm guessing people go through the bags (like every neighborhood, there are garbage types that come around rummaging through everything).  If they're just throwing them away, might as well give them to the homeless.  It's all the same garbage in terms of what they put in their food and it costs them pennies to make.

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

1. I was gonna say the same....

2. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Wow, what cruel & unusual punishment.... Homeless people are living beings too, you know !

Good grief, at least give them the option of the 'chair, the 'needle, or the 'chamber...

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yup, same deal happened to me a couple of years ago as well... Also, after a couple minutes, I was pissing like a Russian race horse... If you like your kidneys & your urinary tract, I'd suggest not drinking too much (or, any) of that garbage.... Got it from the Junkin Donuts off Clarkson/Hudson in the 'Village (although it's all the same shit)... Got fed up w/ the (1) stalling @ Houston in the morning (wonder if it still does that?), so I got off there & eventually made my way towards Christopher....

...and the donuts (if you want to call it that) give me indigestion like a MF-er.... Call ourselves having a company breakfast earlier this month, and I get to the cafeteria to see about 10 boxes or so (12 count size) of the stuff... Outside of saying good morning to a couple people, I said nothing else afterwards.... Of course, I got the usual "_________, come sit down & eat with us").....  Looked at the boxes, then looked around the room (as people were having a good ole feast), then looked at my peers (other mgr's), and walked right out of there & right into my office.... Y'all can have at it.

I don't remember the last time I ate a donut, period, to be honest.....

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Wow, what cruel & unusual punishment.... Homeless people are living beings too, you know !

Good grief, at least give them the option of the 'chair, the 'needle, or the 'chamber...

Yup, same deal happened to me a couple of years ago as well... Also, after a couple minutes, I was pissing like a Russian race horse... If you like your kidneys & your urinary tract, I'd suggest not drinking too much (or, any) of that garbage.... Got it from the Junkin Donuts off Clarkson/Hudson in the 'Village (although it's all the same shit)... Got fed up w/ the (1) stalling @ Houston in the morning (wonder if it still does that?), so I got off there & eventually made my way towards Christopher....

...and the donuts (if you want to call it that) give me indigestion like a MF-er.... Call ourselves having a company breakfast earlier this month, and I get to the cafeteria to see about 10 boxes or so (12 count size) of the stuff... Outside of saying good morning to a couple people, I said nothing else afterwards.... Of course, I got the usual "_________, come sit down & eat with us").....  Looked at the boxes, then looked around the room (as people were having a good ole feast), then looked at my peers (other mgr's), and walked right out of there & right into my office.... Y'all can have at it.

I don't remember the last time I ate a donut, period, to be honest.....

I don't know, but I can recall eating that stuff years ago and it wasn't the same. A lot of these places have started using really cheap ingredients (Dunkin' Donuts included).  There seems to be no in between anymore either unfortunately.  They aren't the only ones where I've become violently ill after eating and had to stop eating their stuff entirely.

As for this program though, it's a nice gesture, but I don't think it's going to work to be honest.  If I were homeless, I'd likely take the coffee or whatever free stuff they were giving and keep it moving.  If those people are in a homeless shelter some Dunkin' Donuts coffee (of all things) isn't going to do the trick.

50 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

....And somebody mentioned the 7th or 8th amendment of "cruel and unusual punishment". Can you elaborate please?

Sure, I'll elaborate... Not a problem.

The quip I used (that entails a snippet from the 8th amendment) is nothing more than figurative language.... In laymens, I'm emphasizing just how bad I think Junkin Donuts' coffee is.... To me, that stuff is Nasty with a capital N & to give that stuff away to homeless people as some sort of incentive, resembles more of a punishment, if anything... LOL!

- Here's some coffee...

- nahh, I'll just continue stinkin up this (E) train like I do every morning.... Dunkin Donuts? I don't wanna go out like THAT:P:lol:

Most homeless will probably find the coffee at least ok and likely great (its free and barely kills ya!). Although im not sure if coffee alone will get people off the (E). For me, as the above post mentioned, DD coffee is straight up punishing. I've only drunk their coffee once last year and I can say id rather be homeless in Vancouver than in NYC just knowing i'll get offered and likely taken off the train with such atrocity (DD coffee) to blame.  

America Subway Hobos Run On Dunkin!

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Sure, I'll elaborate... Not a problem.

The quip I used (that entails a snippet from the 8th amendment) is nothing more than figurative language.... In laymens, I'm emphasizing just how bad I think Junkin Donuts' coffee is.... To me, that stuff is Nasty with a capital N & to give that stuff away to homeless people as some sort of incentive, resembles more of a punishment, if anything... LOL!

- Here's some coffee...

- nahh, I'll just continue stinkin up this (E) train like I do every morning.... Dunkin Donuts? I don't wanna go out like THAT:P:lol:

How much is their coffee now anyway? Something like a $1 or $2? You know they have to pumping all sorts of crap in their coffee because it's dirt cheap.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

How much is their coffee now anyway? Something like a $1 or $2? You know they have to pumping all sorts of crap in their coffee because it's dirt cheap.

$2.09 plus tax for a small hot coffee at Dunkin Donuts. A small cup of any hot coffee at 7-eleven doesn't have a set price; based on the day's astrological signs it could be anywhere from $0.99 to $1.79.

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Tell me something I don't know... "Natural" isn't regulated in any way and thus means nothing since there is nothing to define what "natural" is or what it means in terms of food, if anything.  Organic and GMO free is regulated.  In any event, I don't know why they didn't give them the donuts. There's a Dunkin' Donuts near me that opened a few years ago (I was not happy to see it open), and sometimes they throw out their donuts and they can be found scattered about.  I'm guessing people go through the bags (like every neighborhood, there are garbage types that come around rummaging through everything).  If they're just throwing them away, might as well give them to the homeless.  It's all the same garbage in terms of what they put in their food and it costs them pennies to make.

Literally all food establishments throw out a ridiculous amount of food. It's so bad that France had to legally mandate that they donate it to food banks.

5 hours ago, P3F said:

$2.09 plus tax for a small hot coffee at Dunkin Donuts. A small cup of any hot coffee at 7-eleven doesn't have a set price; based on the day's astrological signs it could be anywhere from $0.99 to $1.79.

A large hot coffee at McDonald's is $1 plus tax.

By comparison, a cup of coffee at home costs less than $0.20 per cup (or at least it did as of a few years ago, and prices haven't risen too much since then): https://www.aol.com/2011/01/25/savings-experiment-the-perks-of-brewing-versus-buying-coffee/

Archived