My NJ Transit train all of a sudden crowds at Newark Penn Station until New York Penn Station

EphraimB

A few months ago, I was on a NJ Transit train from Point Pleasant Beach Station to New York Penn Station. I transferred from a diesel to an electric train at Long Branch. The diesel train was pretty much empty and the electric train was pretty much empty until the train arrived in Newark Penn Staton. All of a sudden at Newark Penn Station, a lot of people came onto the train and it became crowded. It was crowded until the last stop, New York Penn Station.

That's my second time being on a NJ transit train back home to Far Rockaway. The first time was coming from the Catskills and going on the Metro-north from Middletown, NY to Secaucus Junction and transferring to a NJ transit train from Secaucus Junction to New York Penn Station. When I got on the NJ transit train at Secaucus Junction, it was crowded that I couldn't get a seat (actually, someone was nice and moved their luggage to free up a seat for me).

Why is the NJ transit so popular from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station?

18 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

A few months ago, I was on a NJ Transit train from Point Pleasant Beach Station to New York Penn Station. I transferred from a diesel to an electric train at Long Branch. The diesel train was pretty much empty and the electric train was pretty much empty until the train arrived in Newark Penn Staton. All of a sudden at Newark Penn Station, a lot of people came onto the train and it became crowded. It was crowded until the last stop, New York Penn Station.

That's my second time being on a NJ transit train back home to Far Rockaway. The first time was coming from the Catskills and going on the Metro-north from Middletown, NY to Secaucus Junction and transferring to a NJ transit train from Secaucus Junction to New York Penn Station. When I got on the NJ transit train at Secaucus Junction, it was crowded that I couldn't get a seat (actually, someone was nice and moved their luggage to free up a seat for me).

Why is the NJ transit so popular from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station?

It could depend, whether there is a event or something happened on PATH, so NJT is cross honoring. SEC JCT is always crowded, because most of the people on the PJ/PVL want to go to NY, not Hoboken. Add on the the fact that NJT operates single level coaches on alot of the NJ Coast Line, you got standing room only train. 

1 minute ago, Mtatransit said:

It could depend, whether there is a event or something happened on PATH, so NJT is cross honoring. SEC JCT is always crowded, because most of the people on the PJ/PVL want to go to NY, not Hoboken.

What is PJ/PVL?

2 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Add on the the fact that NJT operates single level coaches on alot of the NJ Coast Line, you got standing room only train.

Both times it was a double-decker coach.

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

There's just a lot of demand in general. Newark is a dense city, and Newark Penn has a lot of buses, and the light rail feeding in from the surrounding area. Sure, many people take the PATH, but that requires a transfer to get to Midtown since it only goes downtown, so the rest take the NJT train (or occasionally the #108 bus) 

Archived