Byford: ‘Overcrowding’ Is Not at the Root of Delays

GojiMet86

On 2/22/2018 at 10:24 PM, Mysterious2train said:

Wait a sec. You're checking southbound, right? Because going northbound, around Atlantic/DeKalb, from ~7:45 to 8:40 AM, the height of rush hour, the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) are all running every 6 mins/10 TPH each (although the northbound  (R) becomes a little less frequent around 8:30 AM, a bit sooner than the other lines). So there's almost 50 TPH northbound passing through that junction during that hour. I've heard that all trains coming to/from the bridge have to come to a complete stop as they're identified and routed correctly, can somebody verify that? I imagine that's caused by a lack of precise train identification technology (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) and it contributes partially to delays at that junction. But if that's the case, that's something that will be rectified someday as technology improves.

Yes, I was doing this based on southbound trains. However, the point still stands - deinterlining could add another 30 trains per hour to the junction without clogging up the entire B Division.

You're correct about the stopping. Train routing at DeKalb Junction is determined by CCTV cameras mounted near the home signals between the bridge portal and DeKalb. As a train comes off the bridge, it must come to a brief stop at the junction while tower operators use the cameras to identify the train and set the appropriate route. CBTC, or ATS (the train identification used on the IRT), will solve this eventually. The reason, though, that I keep preaching the virtues of deinterlining is that it can be done with today's signalling and today's rolling stock and still deliver massive capacity increases. Do I think that we should upgrade to ATS and/or CBTC? Absolutely, as soon as possible. But that doesn't mean that we have to wait years and sink hundreds of millions (based on the MTA's previous similar work) in order to make service better now.

1 hour ago, officiallyliam said:

Yes, I was doing this based on southbound trains. However, the point still stands - deinterlining could add another 30 trains per hour to the junction without clogging up the entire B Division.

You're correct about the stopping. Train routing at DeKalb Junction is determined by CCTV cameras mounted near the home signals between the bridge portal and DeKalb. As a train comes off the bridge, it must come to a brief stop at the junction while tower operators use the cameras to identify the train and set the appropriate route. CBTC, or ATS (the train identification used on the IRT), will solve this eventually. The reason, though, that I keep preaching the virtues of deinterlining is that it can be done with today's signalling and today's rolling stock and still deliver massive capacity increases. Do I think that we should upgrade to ATS and/or CBTC? Absolutely, as soon as possible. But that doesn't mean that we have to wait years and sink hundreds of millions (based on the MTA's previous similar work) in order to make service better now.

Are there any examples of CBTC being installed at a reasonable/quick rate?

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

Are there any examples of CBTC being installed at a reasonable/quick rate?

In the context of a situation like the MTA, no. Pretty much all subway networks work like the (L) - a self contained line that doesn't interact with any others. Installations of those have been very quick.

Almost no subway systems interline as aggressively as we do; interlining is a major reason to why we can't do CBTC any faster than we've planned to do.

46 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

In the context of a situation like the MTA, no. Pretty much all subway networks work like the (L) - a self contained line that doesn't interact with any others. Installations of those have been very quick.

Almost no subway systems interline as aggressively as we do; interlining is a major reason to why we can't do CBTC any faster than we've planned to do.

Even in toronto where mr byford came from no cbtc/atc contract was awarded in 2009

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 5:58 PM, Jdog14 said:

They get mopped in the terminals. 

This happens a lot less frequently than it should.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:15 PM, WestFarms36 said:

Not really, they just get a brooming.

That's more like it.

Also, not to go too off topic, but since it was brought up, does anyone know how often, if ever, the seats and poles get cleaned (or better yet, disinfected)? Because I've NEVER seen this happen and it looks like some seats (especially on the NTTs) are only wiped by the motion of people's pants.

There was also that story a few years ago about a used condom hanging from the grab bar on an (F) train for WEEKS without being taken down. That's quite concerning if you ask me.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:33 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They couldn't possibly think that having the (4)(5) roaring through every 2-3 minutes with one (6) train maybe every 5-6 minutes on a good day was going to be good. I mean all of those people are transferring to the (6)! Not all of them obviously, but a big chunk of them and that just causes pure hell.

That's why I stopped taking the (6) entirely. It's a hot mess, especially in the PM rush. I now only use the (4)(5) at 59th or the   (F)(Q) at Lex-63 to get to uni.

11 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

That's why I stopped taking the (6) entirely. It's a hot mess, especially in the PM rush. I now only use the (4)(5) at 59th or the   (F)(Q) at Lex-63 to get to uni.

It's still very hit or miss with the (6) at night but I'm stuck using it at least once a week since I have to be on the Upper East Side. Seems to be a bit more trains but at times still not enough.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:13 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's still very hit or miss with the (6) at night but I'm stuck using it at least once a week since I have to be on the Upper East Side. Seems to be a bit more trains but at times still not enough.

Welp, time for (MTA) to buy more trains. Bet it'd be the IRT version of the R211

Archived