Can Long Island Bus and Suffolk County Transit Operate Double-Decker Buses?

FamousNYLover

I know Long Island Bus use Orion CNG and Next Generation CNG, and Suffolk County Transit use Orion V and Gilling Phantom.

After MTA Bus/NYCT bus testing of Vanhool Double-Decker Bus, I was wondering if those mentions companies can operate Double-Decker Bus?

Or is it impossible to operate double-decker bus on Long Island Bus or Suffolk County Transit because of overpass highways, train tracks, etc?

I was just wondering N6 Limited might be better?

impossible, SCT can't cuz of low wires on side roads that some routes use and because in some places there are tight turns that i'm not sure double deckers could make. and some routes go under bridges that have hight requirments and there is no way to go around it.

though if they could it prob wouldn't be a bad idea since all their yards are open and the only time they would need to go inside is if they needed to work done that required the use of a lift.

but they can't be used in suffolk, but idk about Nassau

impossible, SCT can't cuz of low wires on side roads that some routes use and because in some places there are tight turns that i'm not sure double deckers could make. and some routes go under bridges that have hight requirments and there is no way to go around it.

It's not that bad.

- A

I sent e-mail and Articulated Bus is not safe for suburan streets.

i wonder if they are not safe for suburan streets, then how are they safe for city streets?

i mean u would have more room to move on a suburan street then u would prob have on a city street, and in some places the streets are the same as city streets.

I used to live in bethpage, i think i kinda know what the streets are like. :D

- A

oh i didn't know that, but i didn't mean for what i said to be ment like u didn't know what was being said. i meant if to be kinda funny. maybe i didn't word it right.

i wonder if they are not safe for suburan streets, then how are they safe for city streets?

i mean u would have more room to move on a suburan street then u would prob have on a city street, and in some places the streets are the same as city streets.

I spoke to a driver last week, and he said they are being phased out, or have been in Westchester due to the fact that that suburbs tend to get more snow, and snow clearing is less efficient, leading to spin outs despite chains. That and that the company producing them has stopped making them, and the only alternatives are from European makers which are too expensive. Apparently, this will also lead to a phase out in NYC.

No idea if any of that is true, just what I was told.

I spoke to a driver last week, and he said they are being phased out, or have been in Westchester due to the fact that that suburbs tend to get more snow, and snow clearing is less efficient, leading to spin outs despite chains. That and that the company producing them has stopped making them, and the only alternatives are from European makers which are too expensive. Apparently, this will also lead to a phase out in NYC.

100% correct.

- A

well the snow thing makes sence for the side streets, the main roads the snow tends to melt faster, but the fact that the company that were making them have stoped is a even better reason.

well the snow thing makes sence for the side streets, the main roads the snow tends to melt faster, but the fact that the company that were making them have stoped is a even better reason.

Only really heavily traveled routes would warrant the more expensive euro-coaches but because the number would be smaller it's kinda self defeating.

The other side of this though is that they could put some on to run to montauk each summer, but where to use/put them in the off season...

- A

Only really heavily traveled routes would warrant the more expensive euro-coaches but because the number would be smaller it's kinda self defeating.

The other side of this though is that they could put some on to run to montauk each summer, but where to use/put them in the off season...

- A

i was just saying that they could be right about not using those types of buses in the suburbs. but anyway y spend money on buses that u aren't going to use all year round.

i was just saying that they could be right about not using those types of buses in the suburbs. but anyway y spend money on buses that u aren't going to use all year round.

In london they use the older routemasters but usually not in winter. They only got about 20 of them left.

If they could be transferred to service in the city in winter it would work perfectly. Then again if you parked them out at montauk in the winter you wouldn't need to service them half the year. If the city adopts them for general use it is more likely that long island will get them, if the city decides not to go with them you won't see them on long island.

- A

In london they use the older routemasters but usually not in winter. They only got about 20 of them left.

If they could be transferred to service in the city in winter it would work perfectly. Then again if you parked them out at montauk in the winter you wouldn't need to service them half the year. If the city adopts them for general use it is more likely that long island will get them, if the city decides not to go with them you won't see them on long island.

- A

yeah but if u parked them during the winter what are the chances that the parts wouldn't frezze up or something else machanical go wrong that would cause then not to fire in the spring.

but having buses that u only use during part of the year seams a waste of money to me.

yeah but if u parked them during the winter what are the chances that the parts wouldn't frezze up or something else machanical go wrong that would cause then not to fire in the spring.

but having buses that u only use during part of the year seams a waste of money to me.

Well its not a waste if you dont need fuel for them etc. Plus you'd obviously start them up and stuff if you did park them in winter. Many, many people would use them in the summer, so it might just be worth it. All that needs to be done is see if the city gets them. If so they would be used in the city and such around xmas and new year and thanksgiving to ease crowding, just not all year every day.

- A

Well its not a waste if you dont need fuel for them etc. Plus you'd obviously start them up and stuff if you did park them in winter. Many, many people would use them in the summer, so it might just be worth it. All that needs to be done is see if the city gets them. If so they would be used in the city and such around xmas and new year and thanksgiving to ease crowding, just not all year every day.

- A

well i see it as a waste if u don't use them all year round. and u still have to by fuel so it doesn't save much except for how many buses u have to fill. but Suffolk County wouldn't go for them, with the tight ass budget and all.

i still can't find out if they are ordering the new 55 bio-diesel busses they were talking about. they only thing i can say for sure is that they are getting 4 hybrid/eletric demo buses next month. and they still haven't set up the bike racks on the buses. i saw 9934 on the 7D and 9939 on the S68 on monday and it didn't look like they assembled the brackets on the front bumpers like they have on the gilligs, or the Orions they run out of Suffolk Bus Corps Bay Shore Yard.

Well you'd simply use X amount of fuel over 5-6 months per bus per day instead of 12 months. Savings.

As far as hybrids and bio-diesel, they need to get cracking with those alternate fuel and such solutions for those longer routes and the ones with lots of start/stop. Hybrid MCI wouldn't be a horrible idea.

- A

u miss the point that the companies by fuel by the Gallon and not by how much they put in a bus at any giving month, so really there wouldn't be that much savings.

well MCI are those big Express buses right?, i would see a prob for some routes in Suffolk since some routes have some stops or areas on their routes that have very small moving room. and at least five routes that need to make U turns.

but they first have to deal with what they have. 5013 sounded like it was going to break down.

Here in North Babylon, the wire is just too low to take a double decker bus.

Archived