How to get into MTA managment

R68OnBroadway

Just a question: If I would like to work for MTA management or work in one of its departments one day, what should I do? I'll organize these questions.

1. How do you apply for a position?

2. What degrees/experience/etc. is required/recommended?

3. Is there chance to grow?

4. At what age will they (MTA) consider you?

5. How is pay? I don't need an exact answer, but something like low 50k(s)/high 60k(s) (I mean in that format).

6. How long does the application to hiring process take?

7. How is it working there? Is it a difficult job that requires much time or is it easier?

8. What departments are there and what exactly do they do? (I am interested in something relating to service pattern structuring, car assignments, and scheduling and structuring service changes/G.Os.)

I'm not sure how many people here are part of MTA management or work in one of their departments, but I know @Dj Hammers is one. 

Thank you!

I don't work for MTA Management, however I would encourage you check out this site. On this site, you can narrow your search to the management positions that you can apply to by creating an account for yourself. From doing some browsing around myself, most of these positions require a bachelor's degree with a few years of full-time, relevant experience.

In addition, if you look at this page, as of now (Thursday, 3/1/18 @ 7:45 AM), the application period for Assistant Transit Management Analyst (#8621) and Principal Management Transit Analyst (#8624) will be this June, in which I would encourage you to apply. Although the Notices of Examinations have not been published yet, in order for you to get an 'idea' of what to expect, I would encourage you to view this Notice of Examination, which was for Transit Management Analyst Trainee, which was administered last summer.

Hope this helps.

Honestly, if I was you, I would do your research - in other words, look around on the site, see what jobs/positions interest you the most, see what their requirements are, and take it from there. And make sure it is full-time and paid - anything without these two requirements would be unacceptable.

Archived