BridgeGate 2

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

The big problem on that section is that because it's a mound of dirt and trees supporting the houses on Sedgwick, and the Major Deegan on the opposite side, there's no way to make that area more crime-resistant without posting NYPD there 24/7.

But then I feel that way about not only Bailey, but the Southbound side of Sedgwick as well - the last time my car got broken into before I sold it was on that side in front of the 24/7 garage Fordham Hill Oval residents pay $200/month to park in.

I would've said it was the California plates on the car that made it a magnet, but every time my car was broken into, so were several others on Bailey and on Sedgwick southbound. Would've reported it, but it's a nuisance crime even Broken Windows under Bratton or Ray Kelly wouldn't solve because they're not calling CSU out to dust for prints.

=====

I think the minute you buy your place and both realize the savings over renting, and (MTA) gets worse getting you to midtown, you'll have a car and register it in Dutchess County to save on insurance and to pay the parking garage costs.

Or if you move back to Brooklyn - since you'll be close to Gateway Center and you'll need trunk space for all the stuff you'll buy at Target.

Same crap in Riverdale.  The 50th precinct rarely comes to Riverdale since it's a very safe and low crime area, but car break-ins they don't seem to take too seriously.  It's crazy.  I've been noticing more and more people parking their luxury cars on the street though.  A few of them park right in their driveways or their garage if they have one.  I think even that's a risk (parking in the driveway) not unless you have cameras all about.  They've become so bold now that they'll steal your car right in front of your house.  Happened recently in Fieldston. Car was stolen right out of the driveway. lol

I considered moving back to Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) years ago along Shore Rd.  Parking is horrible over there, but the plan was to move and take the X27/X37 into the city.  If service ran better I would be back there, but service is good here (runs daily and late) which is one of the reasons I've stayed for 6+ years.  As for the car, it's a decision that I'll have to make in the next few years. I have a multi-year lease for this new apartment and I know about all of the co-ops and condos. I am considering purchasing in a less walkable part of Riverdale that would require a car.  I've been running through the various scenarios in terms of parking, getting to Metro-North and the express bus and just how often I'd use the car.  Not clear yet...

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Same crap in Riverdale.  The 50th precinct rarely comes to Riverdale since it's a very safe and low crime area, but car break-ins they don't seem to take too seriously.  It's crazy.  I've been noticing more and more people parking their luxury cars on the street though.  A few of them park right in their driveways or their garage if they have one.  I think even that's a risk (parking in the driveway) not unless you have cameras all about.  They've become so bold now that they'll steal your car right in front of your house.  Happened recently in Fieldston. Car was stolen right out of the driveway. lol

I considered moving back to Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) years ago along Shore Rd.  Parking is horrible over there, but the plan was to move and take the X27/X37 into the city.  If service ran better I would be back there, but service is good here (runs daily and late) which is one of the reasons I've stayed for 6+ years.  As for the car, it's a decision that I'll have to make in the next few years. I have a multi-year lease for this new apartment and I know about all of the co-ops and condos. I am considering purchasing in a less walkable part of Riverdale that would require a car.  I've been running through the various scenarios in terms of parking, getting to Metro-North and the express bus and just how often I'd use the car.  Not clear yet...

If I didn't get mad after the last break-in and sell my car, I would've done the Alternate Side for it and used it next to never - since my California insurance was $85 for $100/300/$10 and the car was paid off.

Only thing I would've had to do was either get NY tags and NY insurance, or go back to Cali to smog it, but nooooooo - I got mad at crackheads for breaking my whip.

So if you do go for a car, either find a place with a parking lot (even if under the building) or a driveway - that way you can at least put a camera on it and record who does what. But also consider a $5k weekend special at a dealer - just to make sure you're not overpaying if you end up not using the car enough.

7 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If I didn't get mad after the last break-in and sell my car, I would've done the Alternate Side for it and used it next to never - since my California insurance was $85 for $100/300/$10 and the car was paid off.

Only thing I would've had to do was either get NY tags and NY insurance, or go back to Cali to smog it, but nooooooo - I got mad at crackheads for breaking my whip.

So if you do go for a car, either find a place with a parking lot (even if under the building) or a driveway - that way you can at least put a camera on it and record who does what. But also consider a $5k weekend special at a dealer - just to make sure you're not overpaying if you end up not using the car enough.

We (past tense) definitely considered renting a car on weekends for trips up to Westchester. I'm particularly fond of the rivertowns.  Nice downtowns and great things to do along the Hudson.  I actually looked into it to. I don't know if I can do the renting thing. I don't like using something someone else has used and not cleaned and all of that. I overheard a guy on the Metro-North shuttle bus that rents a ZipCar for things on weekends with his wife... Sounded appealing until I read the reviews. lol It would have to be my own car with parking onsite (as you said - a garage with cameras).  

lol@crackheads... It's definitely someone down there because it still happens, and probably even more frequently with everyone over there getting cars now.   You have people from Manhattan and elsewhere moving there and I'm sure the people breaking into those cars are looking for easy targets.  As I said though, the main issue now is a lack of parking due to so many people getting cars.  I guess they don't want to park their car in that garage.  I'm shocked that Fordham Oval doesn't have parking.  All gated like Fort Knox and no parking anywhere there within the complex??

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I guess they don't want to park their car in that garage.  I'm shocked that Fordham Oval doesn't have parking.  All gated like Fort Knox and no parking anywhere there within the complex??

Nah, but they spent MILLIONS putting LCDs and subway tile in the building entries to make them look "modern." But they "allowed" that garage on SB Sedgwick to be built on their land for the convenience of Oval shareholders and tenants for $250+/month (2013).

And the open lot by the corner of Sedgwick/Fordham - the one with a dude that may be awake at the entrance when you pull in? $175/month.

All that grass on the oval could get a 4-5 story garage in the middle for tenants to avoid parking on the street, but they won't do it because it'll make that $975/month maintenance fee go up to $990. Apparently, folks have a limit on being price gouged.

It's why I won't buy there, no matter how cheap the units are.

6 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Nah, but they spent MILLIONS putting LCDs and subway tile in the building entries to make them look "modern." But they "allowed" that garage on SB Sedgwick to be built on their land for the convenience of Oval shareholders and tenants for $250+/month (2013).

And the open lot by the corner of Sedgwick/Fordham - the one with a dude that may be awake at the entrance when you pull in? $175/month.

All that grass on the oval could get a 4-5 story garage in the middle for tenants to avoid parking on the street, but they won't do it because it'll make that $975/month maintenance fee go up to $990. Apparently, folks have a limit on being price gouged.

It's why I won't buy there, no matter how cheap the units are.

That's crazy. It's pretty obvious that the people living there WANT to be closed off from the rest of the community. They all take the BxM3 express bus and get off there.  I get the impression that they aren't all that active in the surrounding areas (the people that live in the gated co-op), which quite frankly aren't that great.  The family whose kid I tutor over there was like yeah you could move here and tutor in the building. The units are REALLY cheap. I just laughed and said to myself... No no no... PITA commuting. Those damn hills are annoying and I'm basically forced to take the BxM3 there or deal with a schlepp from Metro-North all uphill, so I do the BxM3 in and Metro-North out (walking downhill) and that train station isn't located in a greatest place.  The cars practically try to run you over there on West Fordham and it's all rank in the train entrance. I'll pass.  They want to renew for more hours.  I'm really considering passing on it. lol

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's crazy. It's pretty obvious that the people living there WANT to be closed off from the rest of the community. They all take the BxM3 express bus and get off there.  I get the impression that they aren't all that active in the surrounding areas (the people that live in the gated co-op), which quite frankly aren't that great.  The family whose kid I tutor over there was like yeah you could move here and tutor in the building. The units are REALLY cheap. I just laughed and said to myself... No no no... PITA commuting. Those damn hills are annoying and I'm basically forced to take the BxM3 there or deal with a schlepp from Metro-North all uphill, so I do the BxM3 in and Metro-North out (walking downhill) and that train station isn't located in a greatest place.  The cars practically try to run you over there on West Fordham and it's all rank in the train entrance. I'll pass.  They want to renew for more hours.  I'm really considering passing on it. lol

$190k for a 2-bed in there, and no ConEd, NatGrid or Water bill. BUT...the maintenance fee and share owner mortgage makes it just as expensive monthly to live in the UWS, and there's no thermostat - heat controlled by maintenance teams and AC in the window.

Add to it it's a 10 minute walk and a 6 minute Bx12 local ride to Fordham, then 25 minutes to 125th on (4), it's not worth it to me. If I still worked in NNJ, then the quick access to the GWB or from the Tappan Zee would make it worth it, but otherwise I feel it's $60k overpriced.

But I'm a cheap SOB. 

It's got robust transit, but it's not transit-friendly (most MNRRs don't stop at University, and every bus is crush-loaded worse than SI buses to the Ferry in the AM). But that's why practically everyone there owns a car. And neighborhood engagement? Nah - most folks there don't even go to the bodega at Fordham/Sedgwick, and only walk through the park to (4).

I crashed one of the nightly BBQs the rest of the neighborhood has in the park, and the folks were surprised I was actually staying in the Oval just cuz I'm the first person they ever spoke to in there that wasn't a kid. (The kids in there don't even play in the park, since the Oval has its own playground.)

But that's how it's marketed - an oasis amidst all the BS in Mid-NW Bronx. Sad really. If those folks spent time in the hood, it could be a much better place.

20 minutes ago, Deucey said:

$190k for a 2-bed in there, and no ConEd, NatGrid or Water bill. BUT...the maintenance fee and share owner mortgage makes it just as expensive monthly to live in the UWS, and there's no thermostat - heat controlled by maintenance teams and AC in the window.

Add to it it's a 10 minute walk and a 6 minute Bx12 local ride to Fordham, then 25 minutes to 125th on (4), it's not worth it to me. If I still worked in NNJ, then the quick access to the GWB or from the Tappan Zee would make it worth it, but otherwise I feel it's $60k overpriced.

But I'm a cheap SOB. 

It's got robust transit, but it's not transit-friendly (most MNRRs don't stop at University, and every bus is crush-loaded worse than SI buses to the Ferry in the AM). But that's why practically everyone there owns a car. And neighborhood engagement? Nah - most folks there don't even go to the bodega at Fordham/Sedgwick, and only walk through the park to (4).

I crashed one of the nightly BBQs the rest of the neighborhood has in the park, and the folks were surprised I was actually staying in the Oval just cuz I'm the first person they ever spoke to in there that wasn't a kid. (The kids in there don't even play in the park, since the Oval has its own playground.)

But that's how it's marketed - an oasis amidst all the BS in Mid-NW Bronx. Sad really. If those folks spent time in the hood, it could be a much better place.

It's also very isolated, and I;m saying that as someone who lives up in the hills in an isolated area.  My area is isolated but the transportation makes it feel less so and it's easier to get around as a result.

Archived