Breaking News: Will M'ville Depot be forced closed?

East New York

Ladies and gentlemen, as most of us having been going on about life, Columbia has been epanding at a very fast pace. About 15 years ago, they planned a beautiful new campus that would stretch north of 125th past and surround the current Columbia Information center,  which is directly across the street from Manhattanville Depot (MV). This area of West Harlem is also known as MTA expressed then, as well as now that they were not willing the sell the Depot or the support facility located directly in front of it. 

For the last 2 years Columbia continued to push forward with plans of a new campus. I now have reports that Columbia has now in fact used something similar to Imminent Domain, and will go ahead will plans to complete their campus of the future. This has already been applied to all the space in the blocks leading right up to the Depot. According to the Columbia Website they want to have their newest buildings open in 2021. 

At this time I am still awaiting confirmation from the MTA that they will in fact be forced to move. I also know that by law, if Columbia cannot relocate the Depot operation in an optimal area they will then be forced to build around the Depot. However as a Hospital University system, a bus depot does not fit into their dream plans. 

As soon as confirm details I will know more. Im waiting on more word from MTA brass side. Please note the preliminary reports came out of MTA. Columbia also confirmed they want that land, yet they do not comment on ongoing negotiations.

048F094C-C861-41EE-827F-F7A0CF0D7344.jpeg

71394B37-5083-4E4B-9B80-3C7B29A26F1F.png

B782672E-C52A-490A-B387-0E8652D756F0.png

38F751C9-6E7F-4D0E-808D-67F16BBBADCB.jpeg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear tbh. A lot of people have to be displaced for a short while for this to happen. I wonder if they are going to reopen the asterdamn depot while they build a new depot, if Columbia university decides to go through with the plans. 

Where would they have those buses run out? Mother Clara Hale was supposed to have like 200+ but is limited to roughly 140 because of pollution complaints. If they remove that limit, then it still about 100 buses left over. 126th Street is closed because of the African burial ground and mixed-use development, can't reopen that.

Maybe redo Amsterdam?

Oh well... I smell the rebirth of Amsterdam as a revenue service depot again if this goes through.

maybe send the M96, 106 pairing + the m116 to tusk, the m4, m5, m10 to quill, and m2 and m3, m11 to Amsterdam? I don't really know the amount of leftover storage space in any of these depots to handle all those extra routes, but maybe if the m10 could be moved to Hale, then the m96 could be split with Quill... or maybe send the m11 out of quill and amsterdam?

idk just some guesses if this plan ever goes through.

6 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Oh well... I smell the rebirth of Amsterdam as a revenue service depot again if this goes through.

maybe send the M96, 106 pairing + the m116 to tusk, the m4, m5, m10 to quill, and m2 and m3, m11 to Amsterdam? I don't really know the amount of leftover storage space in any of these depots to handle all those extra routes, but maybe if the m10 could be moved to Hale, then the m96 could be split with Quill... or maybe send the m11 out of quill and amsterdam?

idk just some guesses if this plan ever goes through.

They could reuse it and have Columbia give them the money and that could go into upgrading the Amsterdam depot. 

Just a thought. 

What on earth is the policy they're using for this? Eminent domain is for the reverse of this, state-taking-private, not this kind of thing. I can't imagine this works out any way except for an MTA payout, which could actually be a good thing. Manhattanville's the depot you'd want to close though...fairly new building designed entirely to MABSTOA standards only a couple decades back. If only somebody were trying to buy out the land of Jamaica depot... 

1 minute ago, Dannny said:

RIP MHV, welcome Amsterdam, can we have some artics if you take over the MHV lines?

Something has to be (re)built eventually if they close down the ville. If AMS reopens for revenue, it would need to see a rehabilitation similar to Hale, which would include artics.

Let's say by chance this plan goes through and AMS can hold as many buses as Hale. That would mean all Manhattan Division depots would either be relatively new or rebuilt, with the oldest lot now being master Quill (which ironically was the freshest depot for the division).  Likewise, this could be what the future could look like:

AMS: M3, M4, M5, M10, M11, M35, M96/106, M104

MH: M1, M2, M7, M15 SBS, M98, M116

5 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Something has to be (re)built eventually if they close down the ville. If AMS reopens for revenue, it would need to see a rehabilitation similar to Hale, which would include artics.

Let's say by chance this plan goes through and AMS can hold as many buses as Hale. That would mean all Manhattan Division depots would either be relatively new or rebuilt, with the oldest lot now being master Quill (which ironically was the freshest depot for the division).  Likewise, this could be what the future could look like:

AMS: M3, M4, M5, M10, M11, M35, M96/106, M104

MH: M1, M2, M7, M15 SBS, M98, M116

If I were the MTA I would take compensation, reopen up the AMS depot, use that money for upgrades and what have you not. I think that would save a lot of money. 

I would bet money (that i haven't even earned yet) that transit knew this was a possibility back when the two-six scenario finally took place. I can only believe that logically, the plan would in fact be to finally pull a hunnit street/clara hale on Amsterdam and refurbish/rebuild that wonderful building. I believe this is what transit's been waiting for all these years...  and why Amsterdam was never mentioned or budgeted to be rebuilt. It makes sense to take Columbia's money and dedicate it to a Amsterdam project, when they already have money tied up into the Jamaica Depot rehab. This would only be poetic justice in the Amsterdam Depot legacy. Rise Amsterdam, and return to passenger service! 😂

Stop feeding these greedy conglomerate trolls, F*** Columbia!   COLOMBOCLAAT!!!

Well on a more serious note, I did a google map search, and there's literally nowhere to expand Amsterdam b/c its surrounded by buildings which is why it's so small.  

Even if they did tear down MHV whats next, residential 3333 Bway?? :lol::lol:  I think not....  I'm aware money wins in the end, but screw Columbia.

5 hours ago, Missabassie said:

Stop feeding these greedy conglomerate trolls, F*** Columbia!   COLOMBOCLAAT!!!

Well on a more serious note, I did a google map search, and there's literally nowhere to expand Amsterdam b/c its surrounded by buildings which is why it's so small.  

Even if they did tear down MHV whats next, residential 3333 Bway?? :lol::lol:  I think not....  I'm aware money wins in the end, but screw Columbia.

If there’s nowhere outwards you go upwards. That seems to be the solution to Manhattan depots. You build up. 

12 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Mother Clara Hale was supposed to have like 200+ but is limited to roughly 140 because of pollution complaints. If they remove that limit, then it still about 100 buses left over.

I could definitely see the community concession being renegotiated or lifted.

Columbia University has been expanding in Upper Manhattan at a rapid rate and I don't think much of anything will stop them.  They also have bought a few buildings here in Riverdale right near me, including the Arbor, which they took from the developer who ran out out of money.  They finished the building (it was supposed to be luxury condos) and then built it for their graduate students and charge top dollar for rent (I think some one bedrooms rent for around $2100 - 2300).  They have purchased a few other buildings here as well which they use for faculty, etc. I think  they would like to negotiate in good faith and be a good neighbor, especially if this gets a lot of press.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came in and said hey, let us buy the land and we'll help you relocate.  They are definitely loaded and have been buying up property and land in that area for years, which in turn is driving up housing costs and the cost for land.  It may not be such a horrible thing for the (MTA) ...

10 minutes ago, Vtrain said:

There is still room at Quill to move the M31 back there, so my opinion is move the M96/106 & M116 to 100th St Depot.

^ I think you are mistaking the depots. See, the M31 is at Tuskegee airman depot, not Manhattanville depot. Manhattanville is the depot closing according to this thread, not Tuskegee.  

7 minutes ago, The MTA said:

^ I think you are mistaking the depots. See, the M31 is at Tuskegee airman depot, not Manhattanville depot. Manhattanville is the depot closing according to this thread, not Tuskegee.  

he's not mistaken. he's saying if MTV closes, move the m96/106/116 from MTV to 100 street, and move the m31 from 100 street to Quill. i disagree with the premise, but he's spot on with the depot & swap placements.

6 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

good question... seeing how much of a land grab free-for-all manhattan is, there isn't any bus depot real estate available.

Especially with all these affordable housing units being built. I guess Amsterdam will have to reactivated

Well I guess it comes down to a couple of points.

• How much land is available to relocate?
  • Is there enough time or space to displace workers, buses, and operations until a new depot is ready?

I would personally favor the MTA just take compensation and use the money to upgrade the Amsterdam depot. They could build up and probably make it more eco-friendly so they could avoid complaints. The money could go into the capital plan as well or keep it to purchase zero emission buses or hybrids. 

It could gain them some money. Take it, use some of it, and put the rest elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

good question... seeing how much of a land grab free-for-all manhattan is, there isn't any bus depot real estate available.

Randall's Island maybe?

Archived