Breaking News: Will M'ville Depot be forced closed?

East New York

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Why does Columbia want to keep coming uptown when they have all of 116 and 125st it doesn't even make sense. As for Manhattanville closing down I don't agree 

Well colleges naturally want to expand and they want to keep it all central in one area.

2 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Well colleges naturally want to expand and they want to keep it all central in one area.

That's dumb if they really wanted to expand why didn't they expand down to 96st? Why does it necessarily have to be uptown.

1 hour ago, MHV184 said:

That's dumb if they really wanted to expand why didn't they expand down to 96st? Why does it necessarily have to be uptown.

Down to 96th Street is residential and is the Upper West Side.. They have a political pull and are not gonna let there houses get torn down for a new Columbia building. Where MTV is at its more industrial.

5 hours ago, MHV184 said:

The land is more than likely cheaper above 125th street as opposed to the established upper west side communities that would never allow such a significant land grab to occur in their backyard 

Does anyone know if that big open lot behind gun hill depot is being used for anything? Looks like there's a building on the property in Google maps, but it almost looks abandoned. That could be a short term fix for if MTV really closes. They could pave over that lot (looks like space for about 200 buses), take a majority of the KB routes, than KB would be the artic depot for northern manhattan. MCH and 100st would split up MTV's routes,  and Quill would be the other artic/crosstown depot for southern manhattan

6 hours ago, Blitz said:

Does anyone know if that big open lot behind gun hill depot is being used for anything? Looks like there's a building on the property in Google maps, but it almost looks abandoned. That could be a short term fix for if MTV really closes. They could pave over that lot (looks like space for about 200 buses), take a majority of the KB routes, than KB would be the artic depot for northern manhattan. MCH and 100st would split up MTV's routes,  and Quill would be the other artic/crosstown depot for southern manhattan

It’s an old golf course that was privately owned. Not sure who owns the land at this point, but it could be good for storage but that’s about all. 

We all have to remember that there is an MTA support facility at MV. That can’t really be relocated anywhere other than Amsterdam. Possibly Hale. I see Columbia being forced to build around.

4 hours ago, East New York said:

We all have to remember that there is an MTA support facility at MV. That can’t really be relocated anywhere other than Amsterdam. Possibly Hale. I see Columbia being forced to build around.

I hope you are right, hopefully someone on the ta who is in charge of going up against columbia really plays their hand that they walk.

Then if they are forced to build around the depot i dont want to see an article saying that the bus depot around the school is bad etc, then i will say well why did you come into a neighboorhod where something was there before you?

What the MTA should really do is Milk out the best price out of Columbia and make them find a relocation site that's bigger than the one they are taking and make a new depot. There's no need for an argument.

7 hours ago, MHV184 said:

What the MTA should really do is Milk out the best price out of Columbia and make them find a relocation site that's bigger than the one they are taking and make a new depot. There's no need for an argument.

Won't happen. Columbia has enough political pull to force a sale price of $1 at most with no consideration of an alternate site.

6 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Screw that, they should stay and force columbia to build around the depot 

I would rather want the MTA to get a huge deal on it build a new depot that's it at least this time they can make Manhattanville artic ready or make them hold much more buses than what they can hold today

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Unfortunately, Columbia also has enough political pull to preclude that.

Boo and isnt columbia a private school?  Like I've been saying demand top dollar

7 hours ago, MHV184 said:

I would rather want the MTA to get a huge deal on it build a new depot that's it at least this time they can make Manhattanville artic ready or make them hold much more buses than what they can hold today

I agree force columbia to give you top dollar to relocate 

And if forced to close i dont want to see an article saying that the bus depot should not have beem closed etc and if they stay i dont want to see an article saying that the bus depot depot should have been gone etc 

15 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I fully understand the concept of "doing the right thing" but real-world politics doesn't work that way.

1 hour ago, East New York said:

I would definitely have to agree with this statement.... 

I get what you 2 are saying but  i was playing at a hardball angle since they are coming and conquesting the area

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I get what you 2 are saying but  i was playing at a hardball angle since they are coming and conquesting the area

The fact that you are trying to speak this "hardball angle" into existence on here is only illustrating that you don't quite get it.....

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The fact that you are trying to speak this "hardball angle" into existence on here is only illustrating that you don't quite get it.....

Exactly. Playing a hardball angle will screw you out of not only the current depot, but any future considerations. This isn't a SUNY/CUNY or community college we're referring to... Columbia University is an ivy league program/organization... Which means their money is long like river nile. Not to mention their prestigious ("distinguished") alumni, etc.. They have connections to kill the playing of any games, contrary to what they desire. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, BusOperator3319 said:

In reference to what was stated about the land on 1st Avenue which stretches from E 38th-E 41st streets it use to be a ConEd power plant as per this article  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/nyregion/prime-lot-empty-for-years-yes-this-is-manhattan.html don’t know how the City or the MTA missed this opportunity back in 2000

Even though it's been empty for years, I have to wonder if Solow would sell the property, and even if it was sold, there would be immense opposition to a bus garage in Kips Bay.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Statty said:

Has anyone heard of anything as of lately? I've seen this poster posted, perhaps this means Manhattanville is good to stay till 2020 at least?

20180526_192214.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Hopefully ENY can shed some light on this. This would be great news if and only IF MANHATTANVILLE is not closing. Also, Columbia would have to flip the bill and find new depot property for Manhattanville. 

Just too bad they are building more cramped up buildings rather than bus depots. 

• 2 months later...

Archived